• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Frank Quietly faces - Potato, Not Potato?

• Potato

Votes: 66 57.4%
  • Not Potato

Votes: 49 42.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
House of M - ★★★★★
Whoa, did I like this one. A few little things might have been a little confusing reading it standalone, like what had led to Scarlet Witch destroying the Avengers, why certain mutants are working for Shield, and then a hundred-year old Steve turns up, and Hawkeye is alive. But then it hits you, that Scarlet Witch is warping reality like she did on the very first page to give everyone what they want - a happy life - and in extension what Magneto wants really. This whole concept is so fucking cool, and fills me with excitement and awe. It starts to unravel when you meet Hawkeye in a hideout, and a young girl appears to have an oddly powerful ability. And then it hits you hard when Peter realizes his life with Gwen and his son is just an illusion. There's some nice character work down here, and Wolverine is used to great effect as the POV going through this path to get from one point to the next. Emma is likable and strong, Cyclops is calm and steadfast, and Wanda is an unnerving mess. And how it all comes together is so creatively cool with an arrow straight in the back that isn't real, so while it doesn't kill, it makes the witch snap out of it, and then it fucking happens... "No more mutants." KA-POW!!!

Now I'm curious, with all these mutant genes disappearing, and energies out of balance because of it, what consequences it'll have on our planet.

I have one question though. The team went to Genosha to put an end to Wanda's shenanigans, but when it all comes to an end, the reality warping is gone, but everyone wakes up back in bed or at Avengers HQ. So did they physically go to Genosha, or did everything transpire in their minds? Cause it's my impression Wanda changed reality around everyone, and people were still physically moving around in the real world, but why did they wake up back at headquarters then?

hipsterpants

Oct 25, 2017
What's interesting is that in interviews Hickman has stated that he isn't just launching a new era but has a beginning, middle, and end in mind. The Big Fear is of course that Marvel gets the X-Men stuck in that middle period and never lets Hickman end it his way. I believe he states that the length of reach part will be dependent on reception, so if people are loving one of the "stages" it will last longer.

On the bright side he's also said that once X-Men his over the rest of his dreams projects are all over at DC. So even when he finally leaves the X-Men we might finally get the DC stuff we didn't get this time.

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
Rosenberg's run sounds a damn sight worse than Bendis or Lemire, I tell you what.
Bendis was good and Lemire had the Omega World arc
Mainline X-Men writers of the 2010, ranked:
1. Kieron Gillen
2. Jason Aaron
3. Brian Michael Bendis
4. Matt Fraction
5. Cullen Bunn
6. Jeff Lemire
7. Ed Brisson, Matthew Rosenberg, and Kelly Thompson
8. Marc Guggenheim
9. Matthew Rosenberg
Like, Bunn wrote 7 years of X books. Magneto, UXM, and XMB.
I remember before his run everyone was hyping Rosenberg up
Secret Warriors, Kingpin (read some, was good), Punisher (didn't read any, but it got praise), New Mutants, Astonishing X-Men (it's a lot of fun)

Like, he wrote good shit

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
What's interesting is that in interviews Hickman has stated that he isn't just launching a new era but has a beginning, middle, and end in mind. The Big Fear is of course that Marvel gets the X-Men stuck in that middle period and never lets Hickman end it his way. I believe he states that the length of reach part will be dependent on reception, so if people are loving one of the "stages" it will last longer.

On the bright side he's also said that once X-Men his over the rest of his dreams projects are all over at DC. So even when he finally leaves the X-Men we might finally get the DC stuff we didn't get this time.

Where did he say that?

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
Hickman is setting up 30 years worth of story by his own words, so what we see here could be around for as long as the stuff Claremont built up.

Where did he say that?
During his Q&A at SDCC. He also said that he was planning to do DC work, but the president of Marvel personally called him and asked how much would it cost for him to come back after Alsonso and Bendis left.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Bendis sure, but Alonso? Why would loosing him be a big deal lol? Seemed like he was a big part of Marvel's problems at the end there.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
Hickman is setting up 30 years worth of story by his own words, so what we see here could be around for as long as the stuff Claremont built up.

During his Q&A at SDCC. He also said that he was planning to do DC work, but the president of Marvel personally called him and asked how much would it cost for him to come back after Alsonso and Bendis left.

That implies he ain't trying to go to DC anymore LOL. Plus his X-Men run sounds like a five year project. DC might be in a completely different place by then.

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
House of M - ★★★★★
Whoa, did I like this one. A few little things might have been a little confusing reading it standalone, like what had led to Scarlet Witch destroying the Avengers, why certain mutants are working for Shield, and then a hundred-year old Steve turns up, and Hawkeye is alive. But then it hits you, that Scarlet Witch is warping reality like she did on the very first page to give everyone what they want - a happy life - and in extension what Magneto wants really. This whole concept is so fucking cool, and fills me with excitement and awe. It starts to unravel when you meet Hawkeye in a hideout, and a young girl appears to have an oddly powerful ability. And then it hits you hard when Peter realizes his life with Gwen and his son is just an illusion. There's some nice character work down here, and Wolverine is used to great effect as the POV going through this path to get from one point to the next. Emma is likable and strong, Cyclops is calm and steadfast, and Wanda is an unnerving mess. And how it all comes together is so creatively cool with an arrow straight in the back that isn't real, so while it doesn't kill, it makes the witch snap out of it, and then it fucking happens... "No more mutants." KA-POW!!!

Now I'm curious, with all these mutant genes disappearing, and energies out of balance because of it, what consequences it'll have on our planet.

I have one question though. The team went to Genosha to put an end to Wanda's shenanigans, but when it all comes to an end, the reality warping is gone, but everyone wakes up back in bed or at Avengers HQ. So did they physically go to Genosha, or did everything transpire in their minds? Cause it's my impression Wanda changed reality around everyone, and people were still physically moving around in the real world, but why did they wake up back at headquarters then?

I guess Wanda just put everyone back as a way to restore the world to how it was before, well beside having less mutants course.

House of M is enjoyable, and I think it was the first X-Men story that I have read actually (not that I have read much X-Men comics). Olivier Coipel is a pretty good artist too.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
Bendis sure, but Alonso? Why would loosing him be a big deal lol? Seemed like he was a big part of Marvel's problems at the end there.
Alonso was EiC, so him going is a major shift no matter what.

30 years? Okay. That's enough. Y'all too worked up. Go to bed.
That's what they said at the panel lol.

So are we talking better or worse than Chuck Austin X-men

Nothing is worse than that right?
Nothing will ever be worse than the run.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not a fan of Morrison X-Men but the comparisons Hickman is getting to it are encouraging. Like it or not, it was the last time the franchise was taking on top tier talent with a bold new direction.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not a fan of Morrison X-Men but the comparisons Hickman is getting to it are encouraging. Like it or not, it was the last time the franchise was taking on top tier talent with a bold new direction.
WHA!?? Something good to say about Morrison's X-Men? Say it aint so Weiss!

TheDarkKnight

Oct 25, 2017
Thinking of the various attempts with X-men that I remember

- Claremont's big return in the 2000s : fizzled and was forgotten
- Whedon & Cassiday : delivered
- Morrison & Quietly : delivered and was done pretty quickly after Whedon if I recall
- schism was this big hyped up thing : Luke warm

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
WHA!?? Something good to say about Morrison's X-Men? Say it aint so Weiss!

Morrison came in and Morrison'd up the place but at least it was new and exciting. The X-books had a few years of losing steam and relevance while the rest of the Big Two's output was pulling itself back up, and Morrison came in at the right time with a new take. It wasn't my thing, and you can draw a throughline from New X-Men to House of M and the constant genocide stories we've been stuck with for a decade and a half, but what the hell, at least it was doing something the X-Men we weren't getting anywhere else.

I can shittalk Watchmen some more if it'll make you feel better.

Thinking of the various attempts with X-men that I remember

- Claremont's big return in the 2000s : fizzled and was forgotten
- Whedon & Cassiday : delivered
- Morrison & Quietly : delivered and was done pretty quickly after Whedon if I recall
- schism was this big hyped up thing : Luke warm

Eeeeehhhhh

Eeeeeeeehhhhhhhh

Eh

This on the other hand I will never have a positive thing to say.

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
Mainline X-Men writers of the 2010, ranked:
1. Kieron Gillen
2. Jason Aaron
3. Brian Michael Bendis
4. Matt Fraction
5. Cullen Bunn
6. Jeff Lemire
7. Ed Brisson, Matthew Rosenberg, and Kelly Thompson
8. Marc Guggenheim
9. Matthew Rosenberg

I can't disagree with this order. I'd probably flip Bendis and Aaron depending on my mood, but largely... yeah.

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
crazy that kieron Gillen was the first time Uncanny X-Men was good for like two decades

and it still had a bunch of greg land issues

hipsterpants

Oct 25, 2017
I think the 30 year thing is more about laying the groundwork, setting up potential future plots, and redefining characters that can be used when he leaves. What Hickman himself has planned I assume has the "ending" he's thought of, and he's just trying to be flexible to the books that are coming out while he's telling the specific story he wants to tell. So the actual "Hickman" era of X-Men will last however many years, but what he's done to that corner of the Marvel U is meant to last decades.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
I think the 30 year thing is more about laying the groundwork, setting up potential future plots, and redefining characters that can be used when he leaves. What Hickman himself has planned I assume has the "ending" he's thought of, and he's just trying to be flexible to the books that are coming out while he's telling the specific story he wants to tell. So the actual "Hickman" era of X-Men will last however many years, but what he's done to that corner of the Marvel U is meant to last decades.
Yep, how I see it too

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You may not like the run but it was huge and made x-men relevant in ways it hadn't been in a super long time. It brought back a ton of fans

Yeah but it did so at the expense of New X-Men. There's stuff I enjoy, like how the X-Men get to be superheroes again (something I didn't like about New X-Men being those awful costumes), but it was just a lot of whiffs of heights already reached.

There's lots of things New X-Men shouldn't have done, like Emma Frost as the cheerleader alpha bitch and cat Beast and Xorneto, but at least it was all in surface to dragging the X-Men, a franchise that at the time was stuck in the shadow of Claremont, kicking and screaming to new stories.

dont think i ever read the gillen run

It's so good you won't even notice the Land art.

It was criminally cut short. It would have been one of the all time greats.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, Hickman himself isn't going to write 30 years of X-Men lol

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone want to sell me on Harrow County? I liked Sixth Gun well enough so I know Cullen Bunn is a good writer, but I've yet to read a good Western horror comic.

edit: nvm I got bored and bought it (along with Middlewest and Moon Girl & Devil Dinosaur).

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
who is Scout?

x69ikpt.jpg

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks, appreciate it.

Funny you mention Maggott - I just queued up UXM 345-350 to read about him. Any other issues I should check out? Some people seem to love him.

X-Men Gold Vol. 0 has the post-Operation Zero Tolerance issues that mostly covers his time with the team. Don't know why it's called that but I ain't complaining. Otherwise Maggott's only been in some background cameos since his off-screen resurrection.

As an added bonus you get Best X-Girl CeCe Reyes on the team as well.

hipsterpants

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like anyone and everyone is going to be revived in HoX #1. People think Prof. X is reviving them and making them immortal with Krakoa seeds or something lol.

"Why do they hate and fear us for who we are?" - mutants, a race of immortal super-beings that could kill thousands to millions of people at a moment's notice

I'm guessing it's a one time only thing lol

May 24, 2019
So, what's the story with young body Xavier? Last I read of him was in Soule's Extraordinary X-Men when he's mind-battling Farouk while everyone's in a London bell tower. I can't remember if I even finished that first arc.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
So I wanted to check out some Shang-Chi and I open the Battleworld book, and I find out it's set right after Secret Wars. The line read... "With the multiverse destroyed," so I just got that spoiled for me lol. But I guess the end is not what's important to Hickman's "Marvel Saga" but rather the journey and what happens throughout, or so I now hope.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
His tenure brought us Miles, Kamala, the comeback of Squirrel Girl, Nova, Hickman Avengers.

Yeah you can say he's a fuckup which he was post Secret Wars but he's very influential

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
That cover for the November Batman solicitation... if we're going to get another "I was behind everything the whole time!", that might just kill this whole thing for me. It's just a cover so I'm not going to make a fuss about it just yet.

May 24, 2019
So I wanted to check out some Shang-Chi and I open the Battleworld book, and I find out it's set right after Secret Wars. The line read... "With the multiverse destroyed," so I just got that spoiled for me lol. But I guess the end is not what's important to Hickman's "Marvel Saga" but rather the journey and what happens throughout, or so I now hope.

Existance is wiped out in the first issue of Secret Wars. The content of the event and all of the side stories is in a re-written universe. I didn't read it, but that Shang Chi should be in it's own pocket continuity that is only referencing what the 'real world' version of the character/storyline was. They're all like that.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
His tenure brought us Miles, Kamala, the comeback of Squirrel Girl, Nova, Hickman Avengers.

Yeah you can say he's a fuckup which he was post Secret Wars but he's very influential
I just remember him as Marvel's Didio. But I guess Didio is worse.

Yea im sure he did some great stuff while he was in charge. I just always remember the bad moreso than the good.

Status
Not open for further replies.