• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Will Catwoman and Batman tie the knot?

• Yes

Votes: 19 48.7%
  • No

Votes: 8 20.5%
  • Catwoman absconds with Harley and Ivy

Votes: 12 30.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
I really liked Man of Steel #4 a lot. The Jor-El page wasn't the best, but the rest was pretty good.

Same problem with this issue is what happened with CW2 though.

A crucial part of the conflict is a short story in another issue so all this shit is a recap that feels weird and flow breaking. The fight with Thanos was the FCBD issue and was only shown in small recap panels for the rest of the main event. It's a similar scenario here.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I really liked Man of Steel #4 a lot. The Jor-El page wasn't the best, but the rest was pretty good.

Same problem with this issue is what happened with CW2 though.

A crucial part of the conflict is a short story in another issue so all this shit is a recap that feels weird and flow breaking. The fight with Thanos was the FCBD issue and was only shown in small recap panels for the rest of the main event. It's a similar scenario here.

I still liked it, but less than the previous issues. As you say, that single page doesn't mar the entire issue.

Speaking of this weeks' books - I quite liked JL2, loved Batman 49, but thought both Aquaman and GL were fairly disappointing.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
X-Men marathon round up!

Uncanny X-Men #416-420 - Chuck Austen

portrait_incredible.jpg

Oh man, what the hell happened here? After a great previous volume, everything goes to shit. The art is horrific, amateur level. Kia Asamiya can't even be bothered to draw faces of characters in the background. Austen's writing also takes a hit, everything just feels very off for some reason, I wonder what happened behind the scenes.

Also, I hate seeing Cebulski's name in the credits; instantly made me google Asamiya just to make sure he was a real person...

X-Treme X-Men: Mekanix - Chris Claremont

portrait_incredible.jpg

Huh, after dozens of awful issues with the X-Treme X-Men, Claremont finally figured out how to write competently again! No massive exposition boxes narrating everything, no beloved characters treated like trash. Well done.

The Punisher Vol.1 Welcome Back Frank (2000) - Garth Ennis

511470EFY2L._SX319_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

So according to the X-Men reading guide I linked above, Wolvie appears in issues 33-37 of Punisher (2004), but I figured I'd start with Ennis 12-issue run first, and…holy shit within the first few pages I'm already laughing with glee at his twisted sense of humour. This is like reading Preacher all over again, thanks to Ennis and Steve Dillon working together. I love Dillon's design of Frank. A brilliant volume of wholesome Punisher fun for all the family. I implore everyone to read it.

The Punisher (2001-2004) - Garth Ennis

9781904159391-uk-300.jpg

Ennis and Dillon continue their madness with the next 37 issues of Punisher. Ennis's humour can sometimes miss, and it misses wildly here with really lame sexual gags. Oh look a guy in a dress har har! Whatever. Also worth noting Ennis bringing up that ghoul Giuliani twice, in relation to cleaning up the streets of NY. Is that true? Was Giuliani the shit back then?

Anyway, highlights were: issue 15 with Frank forced to drive around cuffed to a dickhead journalist. Issue 19 was probably the best, Frank and a lovely lady in the countryside, lots of dark humour as they defend her home from bad guys. Also good: Issue 28- 31 (Streets of Laredo) were very Jack Reacher-ish, with Frank investigating shit in Texas.

As for Wolvie, he shows up in issue 16, and 33-37 and I really don't like the way Ennis writes the character, as an obnoxious meathead. Though he does get his face blown off at one point, which is a new look for old Wolvie; dude ends up looking like the old dvd cover of Raimi's Evil Dead.

512jw2e5odL._SY445_.jpg

Anyway, back to the world of X-Men...

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
DC Comics to Lose the Gloss? Colourists Take Care

Apparently, things come in threes. This looks like the third reveal about DC Comics upcoming plans for their monthly comic book line. – only one of which they have admitted to.

This morning, Bleeding Cool told you about DC's exclusive Walmart anthologies,serialising new Batman comics by Brian Bendis and Superman comics by Tom King which then got confirmed everywhere.

We then told you that DC Comics were moving their $3.99 line of comics from 20-page stories to 22-page stories, to justify the price point and steal a march on Marvel Comics.

And now? As a result of their investment into the 100 page Walmart anthology titles and the print stock needed for those titles, DC Comics are going to shift from glossy paper to non-glossy paper for their entire line. Which will necessitate a change in the entire colouring process.

Oh no.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Done with Akira? Liked it?

Just finished Akira last night, actually. I took a break between book 4 and 5 to read some other things. I liked it for the most part. The art and paneling were great. Story-wise, it did feel like the movie but unpacked to a massive degree. I'd say a lot of it felt the same with only a few parts really standing out. For manga, I'm gonna read either Pluto or one of the Junji Ito works next.

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

I am leaving this community!
Oct 25, 2017
Huh. Jimmy Palmiotti, Amanda Conner and Chad Hardin are doing the Wonder Woman 100 page giant story. That's cool.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
The Punisher (2001-2004) - Ga

Ennis and Dillon continue their madness with the next 37 issues of Punisher. Ennis's humour can sometimes miss, and it misses wildly here with really lame sexual gags. Oh look a guy in a dress har har! Whatever. Also worth noting Ennis bringing up that ghoul Giuliani twice, in relation to cleaning up the streets of NY. Is that true? Was Giuliani the shit back then?

Once upon a time Giulianni did indeed prosecute mob families and was very much a factor in transforming seedy sections of 1980's NYC into family friendly consumerist tourist traps. There was always a bit of controversy over his methods, but it made him a popular icon in the city and country during that era. Ironic that he became the monster he once beat back. 9/11 kind of was a turning point when he(and many others) started drinking the tea party Kool-Aid and they never recovered.

That said, keep up the posts! Love reading these.

hipsterpants

Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of Black Cat I like how Roger Stern retconned that dumb as shit ending to her original appearance then managed to define her character for like the next four decades in the span of two issues. At least until she got Slotted.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
So like the crappy cheap paper from the 80s? That's not going to look very good if so. I hope it doesn't hurt how it looks on digital.
Non-glossy doesn't necessarily mean newsprint. Have you looked at the Doomsday Clock paper stock? It's a coated matte paper and it looks and feels great. If they use that for everything I'd be ecstatic.

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of Black Cat I like how Roger Stern retconned that dumb as shit ending to her original appearance then managed to define her character for like the next four decades in the span of two issues. At least until she got Slotted.
That's like the definitive Black Cat Story tbh. Ending always gets me.

Idk for a minute there every Peter Parker love interest went crazy like deb Whitman and Felicia or just died like Gwen. Low key Matt Murdock levels of "you in danger girl" if you mess with him

hipsterpants

Oct 25, 2017
That's like the definitive Black Cat Story tbh. Ending always gets me.

Idk for a minute there every Peter Parker love interest went crazy like deb Whitman and Felicia or just died like Gwen. Low key Matt Murdock levels of "you in danger girl" if you mess with him

MJ is the only girl that broke up with him like a normal human being. Go figure.

RolandGunner

Oct 30, 2017
So like the crappy cheap paper from the 80s? That's not going to look very good if so. I hope it doesn't hurt how it looks on digital.

This is why people need to be skeptical of Rich. There are tons of grades of paper. This will likely be a change so slight most readers don't even notice it but he's fear mongering for clicks.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
Once upon a time Giulianni did indeed prosecute mob families and was very much a factor in transforming seedy sections of 1980's NYC into family friendly consumerist tourist traps. There was always a bit of controversy over his methods, but it made him a popular icon in the city and country during that era. Ironic that he became the monster he once beat back. 9/11 kind of was a turning point when he(and many others) started drinking the tea party Kool-Aid and they never recovered.

That said, keep up the posts! Love reading these.

Thanks for the info, it's quite interesting to read comics around the tail end of 2001/2002 and seeing how they reflected the aftermath of 9/11, with iconic imagery and themes on the minds of the writers and artists. Frank Castle's quip about Giulianni is very dry, as he considers how the mayor was making his job as Punisher a little boring, what with the lack of mobsters to murder, lol.

Thanks for the thumbs up re: my recaps, buddy. I'm about halfway down the page of crushingkrisis.com's X-Men guide, and that's just the 2001-2004 period. Getting an annual subscription to Marvel Unlimited has already been worth it, I feel like I've read hundreds of issues in one month alone.

Supaidaman

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I've just read Saga Volume 1 and 2 and it's neat but I would have liked it more if it didn't have random dicks and boobs every 5 pages for no real good reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.