• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Will Batman marry Catwoman during Tom Kings Batman storyline?

• Yes

Votes: 58 56.3%
  • No

Votes: 45 43.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
Thinking about it, I'd actually really like a Johns Atom book. Did Johns ever have an Atom book? Aside from some JSA?

hipsterpants

Oct 25, 2017
Vic_Viper I think it's been clarified but basically nobody remembers the Mephisto deal except that there is one part of OMD that was mostly ignored and maybe even retconned by Joe "you can make deals with satan and suffer no consequences" Quesada. In the original story Mephisto tells Peter that he will leave *just* enough of their memories of the timeline intact so that they would be aware that *something* is missing, and that empty feeling would possibly result in Mephisto having ownership of Peter's soul over time (or something to that effect). I think we've seen maybe 3 instances of this, one of them being the first issue of Spencer's run when Peter says that it sometimes feels like something's missing while the panel focuses on where a wedding ring would be.

The global "everyone except Peter and MJ forgets" thing is completely unrelated and was just done by some magic nonsense by Strange/Stark/etc. Completely unrelated to the Mephisto deal except for that it canonically takes place "after" the deal and Aunt May is revived. Peter and MJ 100% remember the memory wipe act, in fact it's implied to be part of the reason that MJ and he break up prior to BND. Which is total bullshit but Quesada is a clown when it comes to Spider-Man so whatever.

RIBIC

scaled.kingthor2019001-cov.jpg

looking forward to the real conclusion to Aaron's Thor. let's just pretend the snore of realms didn't happen

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
Oh Man.

There is NO WAY I'm not right about the Villain in ASM after today's issue. Marvel pretty much spells it out.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
@Vic_Viper I think it's been clarified but basically nobody remembers the Mephisto deal except that there is one part of OMD that was mostly ignored and maybe even retconned by Joe "you can make deals with satan and suffer no consequences" Quesada. In the original story Mephisto tells Peter that he will leave *just* enough of their memories of the timeline intact so that they would be aware that *something* is missing, and that empty feeling would possibly result in Mephisto having ownership of Peter's soul over time (or something to that effect). I think we've seen maybe 3 instances of this, one of them being the first issue of Spencer's run when Peter says that it sometimes feels like something's missing while the panel focuses on where a wedding ring would be.

The global "everyone except Peter and MJ forgets" thing is completely unrelated and was just done by some magic nonsense by Strange/Stark/etc. Completely unrelated to the Mephisto deal except for that it canonically takes place "after" the deal and Aunt May is revived. Peter and MJ 100% remember the memory wipe act, in fact it's implied to be part of the reason that MJ and he break up prior to BND. Which is total bullshit but Quesada is a clown when it comes to Spider-Man so whatever.
ok, thanks. I did not notice that in the first issue, but then again I wasnt looking for it. Didnt even think about it until I saw Pete and MJ in bed talking about how many times theyve tried to be together in like issue 3 or 4.

So the global everyone forgot but MJ and Pete thing is about his Secret Identity right, not that they were married and had it taken from them.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
ok, thanks. I did not notice that in the first issue, but then again I wasnt looking for it. Didnt even think about it until I saw Pete and MJ in bed talking about how many times theyve tried to be together in like issue 3 or 4.

So the global everyone forgot but MJ and Pete thing is about his Secret Identity right, not that they were married and had it taken from them.
It was also part of the Black Cat subplot. She remembered being with him but who he was and what he looked like under the mask was taken from her.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
it's been fairly obvious for a while that that plan wasn't going to work out, and I've guessed for a while that a lot of the book's delays came down to rewrites and redrawing of completed portions due to them no longer fitting with the rest of the DC line, but yeah, that Snyder quote all but confirms it won't have much impact on the broader DC line outside a "Doomsday Clock Aftermath: New Rorschach in the DCU" miniseries or however they follow it up.

Yeah, but they have to choose whether it's in-continuity or not, because if it's in continuity, there's tons of explanation that needs to be done for the other books if they're not going to take his stuff. If it's not, then Rebirth itself is not in continuity, because it's Doomsday Clock is the continuation of the book that acted as the catalyst for the Rebirth era.

Solicits imminent. They want to get ahead to promote the big items in there.
It's usually not so all at once, though.

Are they supposed to release this week? If so, hyyyype

Sibersk Esto

Changed the hierarchy of thread titles
Oct 25, 2017
Immortal Hulk this week was basically a heavy metal music video as a comic issue complete with narration boxes as lyrics

hipsterpants

Oct 25, 2017
The wrinkle with Kindred in ASM 23 to me is that
the emphasis on those around Peter who died, which would imply a familiarity with the amount of people that have perished around him. I feel like that excludes Carlie, unless she like looked it up in the police records or something lol. To me that means either alt-Peter, alt-MJ, or someone that died early in his career that's been following him beyond the grave. My new shot in the dark is that it might not be the dead Peter from #700, but a Bad End Peter who lost everything, accepted a deal with Mephisto and was corrupted and went back in time to destroy Peter before that Bad End could happen. "We'll be alone together" could be interpreted as a romantic statement, but also one implying that he'll understand the suffering that Kindred as experienced. Or maybe it could be a Bad End MJ, who watched her Peter destroy everything around him.

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh Man.

There is NO WAY I'm not right about the Villain in ASM after today's issue. Marvel pretty much spells it out.

I was with you until the other theory just clicked everything into place. you came up with probably the only other answer that could have existed and checked all the boxes of stuff that's happened this run

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
So what does Marvel Knights mean for MUA3 DLC?

Joe Quesada playable eventually?
If its the imprint they are talking about, the only other team I know of it the Inhumans, since I only see 1 on the roster atm. Blade was in the recent mini, so maybe him too. Not sure what they mean by that though lol unless there will be more street level focused missions or something.

Punisher maybe too, unless hes already in.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
I was with you until the other theory just clicked everything into place. you came up with probably the only other answer that could have existed and checked all the boxes of stuff that's happened this run

Did you read the issue today?

hJsjzjT.png

there's...only one possibility as to who that is.

Boxy Brown

Oct 27, 2017
At this point I'm really confused as what Johns will be doing post-Doomsday Clock outside of Shazam.

Three Jokers isn't dated and we haven't heard about his imprint since the reveal and it was supposed to start last month.
Post Doomsday Clock?

Shazam
Three Jokers
Stargirl
That imprint if it isn't dead
GLC movie

And any other thing WM/DC can squeeze out him from his exclusive.

hipsterpants

Oct 25, 2017
kindred is very clearly uncle ben, who actually has been burning in hell for the last 13 in-universe years but now he's free and he's fucking pissed off

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
kindred is very clearly gwen stacy, who actually has been burning in hell for the last 10 in-universe years but now she's free and she's fucking pissed off

Deleted member 2085

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017
I don't even know anymore. I like Mags but what is going on.

What's she's saying is honestly incredibly common for Twitter in 2019. There's something about the site that brings out the raw id in people, valid criticism or not. That kind of thing can be like sticking yourself with a thousand needles, especially if you're already prone to anxiety. It's why I tweet and look at the site/app much much less than when I first signed up, myself. And I agree with the criticisms of Cain. Heck, I agree with the vast majority of minority/marginalized/representation/leftist rhetoric on Twitter and it can still stress the hell out of me. Because Twitter is "on" all the time and not everybody can be that. Some people need a break. And if/when it's your only outlet to express your frustration, I think that makes it easy to assume the people that get overwhelmed by are saying you're all the same, outrage culture, etc etc, even if that's very literally not what's being said at all. Her response is very "It's not you, it's me" and I think that's fair. She literally sets Cain and the book aside and I really don't think it's fair to twist "this triggered me" into "whoa Mags is a white feminist, calling trans women CGers" That's not what's in that post, on the surface or in the subtext. She even logged off! Like, this an FB post somebody is taking and feeding back into Twitter. Mags isn't even choosing to put this in peoples faces on Twitter herself.

Her trauma is valid and so is her choice to prioritize her own health over dealing with the bigger controversy grown from Cain and Megs' own comments. The controversy and criticism are also valid. Hopefully, people can still be respectful even if Megs isn't at a point where she feels safe/comfortable enough to explain her comments.

Exactly.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
I don't think this is legit but then again, this is Hickman and the people now heading the ship are big X marks...

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like immortal was probably a metaphor or something that this dude just didnt get.

EDIT: My bad, forgot that it was spoiler tagged. Not that it is actually real lol

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Wonder Twins #5 - While I think the whole race relations metaphor was a bit skewed, combining the "old white lady calls the cops" and "cops accidentally shoot an innocent person" situations into one single event was really clever and slotted perfectly into the Russell tone. I just want to know how they're going to argue that Scrambler is wrong, though!

Superman #12 - Sorry Bendis, I'm out. I'll wait for the trades here.

Event Leviathan #1 - Sorry Bendis, I'm out. I'll wait for the trade here. Actually I liked this one a lot, because it's always fun seeing this conspiracy stuff unraveling. It just felt a bit too decompressed for me. But damn that Maleev art!

Immortal Hulk #19 - Man I'm really into Red Harpy. I really love the angle they're going with Betty here, sort of reclaiming her identity after being "Hulk's girlfriend/wife" for so long, and- wait a second what the fuck WHAT THE FUCK SHIT SHIT OH NO

Champions #6 - Oh man it's so cool to see Hummingbird again! And seeing Power Man get some shine! Really impressed with how deftly Zub is managing this cast (and somehow still adding new members??).

Amazing Spider-Man #18.HU - I picked this up because I needed an extra issue to push me over a "get points on my card" thing at my local comic shop and I heard good things about the Gibbon issue and it made me really really sad. Why did Spidey laugh at him. :(

Spider-Man #23 - Lots to love in this issue, from the Taskmaster-Black Ant reunion, to the Peter/MJ stuff, to the centipede clues being laid, to the final reveal of Chameleon and just a bunch of plot threads in general. But I'm mostly impressed by how Spencer laid the groundwork to finally let Kraven rest... but just giving us a new Kraven who is like genetically identical to the original. But someone will still fuck this up and bring back the REAL Kraven some day and it will be stupid.

Invaders #6 - A slightly limp ending, I think, because it makes Namor not AS irredeemable as we thought... but still severely fucked up and yeah, I'm interested, let's see where it goes. Think I'm switching to trades at this point as I'm cutting down my weekly purchases in general, but it's gonna hurt to leave this one on the table for a few months.

Sibersk Esto

Oct 25, 2017
Sadly, I feel Spider-Man Life Story is hampered by its "one decade per issue" format. The plot points honestly feel like they don't have time to cook and most of the issues are loaded with exposition in an effort to catch the reader up on the story's alt history. I wouldn't call any of it poorly written, but as it stands it feels more like a novelty than an actual story

Also I was surprised the Kraven plot point seemingly had no follow up

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
Immortal Hulk #19 - Man I'm really into Red Harpy. I really love the angle they're going with Betty here, sort of reclaiming her identity after being "Hulk's girlfriend/wife" for so long, and- wait a second what the fuck WHAT THE FUCK SHIT SHIT OH NO

This was me right here

hipsterpants

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it's Carly because she wouldn't have any familiarity with the death that's followed Peter over the years. In fact, the only major death that happened while she was a regular was Marla and I dunno, did her dad die? I can't remember. Did she look up everyone who died around Spider-Man while she was in the police station or something? It feels too intimate a statement for someone that wasn't around prior to Brand New Day. It doesn't make sense that her (as Kindred) would say something about "all the others" that died around Peter when she didn't actually know any of them.

Now I think she might be a Red Herring, same as I think that Ned Leeds might be set up as one as well. I like your theory but things just don't quite add up... Not to mention spending 100+ issues dedicated to setting up fuckin Carlie Cooper as the big bad. That deserves maybe 5 issues tops.

Sibersk Esto

Oct 25, 2017
I like how Ewing's run on Hulk is one of those "we're not doing Hulk speak anymore" types but he still knows how to bust it out for maximum sympathy points

Some of the character's saddest and most sympathetic moments were amplified by the confusion and childlike innocence that Hulk speak can convey

DanGo

Oct 25, 2017
Jeff Lemire stuff from his latest newsletter:
Andrea Sorrentino and I also started working on a NEW project that we are squeezing in between Gideon Falls arcs. We're both lucky enough to be far enough ahead on Gideon that we can do a small side-project like this and not miss a beat in terms of our schedule. The book gives us both a chance to play with a character neither of us has worked on before, and I think it will be announced in about two or three weeks, right before San Diego Comicon.

Speaking of San Diego Comicon, I will be there this year doing a few different panels and signings for both Dark Horse and Image, as well as the DC Comics Black Label panel. I'll send another newsletter closer to the convention with my schedule in case any of you are attending and want to stop by to say hello or get anything signed.

My long gestating project with the great PHIL HESTER, called FAMILY TREE, will finally launch in November from Image Comics. Phil is working in issue 3 as I write this and I've written seven scripts so far. Eric Gapstur will be joining us as the inker, and Ryan Cody will be coloring. Will Dennis is editing. Here is a finished page from Issue 1, shown for the first time...
Also the TV pilot for Sweet Tooth has been shot and looks like the Essex County adaptation is shooting next March.

Status
Not open for further replies.