• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Will Batman marry Catwoman during Tom Kings Batman storyline?

• Yes

Votes: 58 56.3%
  • No

Votes: 45 43.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
I think that if Lois Lane and Jimmy Olsen both pan out as I think they will then that'll help the perception of DC's line a fair amount. I also think that some of the Wonder comics (Naomi, Wonder Twins, Dial H.) have helped.

Naomi is great but Image-style minis like that feel weird in cape comics. We're establishing this brand new hero and right when you're interested the book is over and the artist is off to do other projects.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
I may be misremembering, but I thought Marvel did great from 2012-2015. The original Marvel NOW (not the second era which came later) was so good, it trounced N52 DC. They ruined it coming out of Secret Wars though.
Oh yeah but Hawkeye was basically a Image book with a Marvel paint job and that along with Ms. Marvel, they kept using that play again and again.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
Oh yeah but Hawkeye was basically a Image book with a Marvel paint job and that along with Ms. Marvel, they kept using that play again and again.

Yeah but those at least ran for longer than six issues. Naomi is a six issue mini series and now it's gone away, a la Image's Blackbird. That's cute in the indies, but in the Big Two things move at lightning speed. Unless Bendis is going to throw Naomi on the Young Justice team soon, it's a problem.

Vordan

Aug 12, 2018
Yeah but those at least ran for longer than six issues. Naomi is a six issue mini series and now it's gone away, a la Image's Blackbird. That's cute in the indies, but in the Big Two things move at lightning speed. Unless Bendis is going to throw Naomi on the Young Justice team soon, it's a problem.
Naomi is getting a Season 2 for sure and Bendis has mentioned that he and Walker have talked about doing a Naomi Trilogy. I don't think Naomi is going anywhere.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
Remember Mosaic? Alpha? Gravity? Loners? Plus, Naomi is taking a hiatus.

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017

I don't understand how this is a bad thing? They should be doing more "image books" with Marvel characters. I mean, I've always said that in the sense they need to loosen up and actually let people do interesting things with the characters instead of always trying to chase/reference/pay homage to old glory.

They still haven't published anything better than Hawkeye, Immortal Hulk included.

May 24, 2019

Pretty sure he is, and she's appearing in Action Comics before then, then she's getting another mini.

Minis make sense for new characters. You can make a splash with positive reviews and press, then get out before the story becomes about the book's falling sales numbers.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
Remember Mosaic? Alpha? Gravity? Loners?

No, because those aren't important characters XD Naomi feels special, like she could be the Next Big Thing.

Naomi is getting a Season 2 for sure and Bendis has mentioned that he and Walker have talked about doing a Naomi Trilogy. I don't think Naomi is going anywhere.

If it's not happening in January then we're wasting time. I know we're getting more, I'm saying it's not happening fast enough IMO.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
I don't understand how this is a bad thing? They should be doing more "image books" with Marvel characters. I mean, I've always said that in the sense they need to loosen up and actually let people do interesting things with the characters instead of always trying to chase/reference/pay homage to old glory.

They still haven't published anything better than Hawkeye, Immortal Hulk included.
I'm not saying it was bad, I'm just saying Axel era just did what worked multiple times and it didn't translate as well depending on the character.

Vordan

Aug 12, 2018
No, because those aren't important characters XD Naomi feels special, like she could be the Next Big Thing.

If it's not happening in January then we're wasting time. I know we're getting more, I'm saying it's not happening fast enough IMO.
She's showing up in Action Comics where she'll meet Batman and Superman, so I'm not too worried about her falling off. I think Naomi's success has a lot to do with Jamal Igle's art and I don't want to rush him before he's ready.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
She's showing up in Action Comics where she'll meet Batman and Superman, so I'm not too worried about her falling off. I think Naomi's success has a lot to do with Jamal Igle's art and I don't want to rush him before he's ready.

*Jamal Cambpell.

I was gonna roast you then I realized they had the same first name. XD

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not saying it was bad, I'm just saying Axel era just did what worked multiple times and it didn't translate as well depending on the character.

Gotcha. I'd argue they really didn't copy the Hawkeye strategy when they really should've. Having Jeff Lemire do a bad impersonation of Fraction was a misread of anything. They should've been fielding every pitch possible for every character capable of carrying a solo. Basically, we should e gotten a bunch of stuff like Immortal Hulk five years ago.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of Sandman. Oh god, I'm both extremely excited and nervous as fuuuck.
More than three years after New Line's failed attempt to turn the graphic novel into a feature film, Netflix has signed what sources describe as a massive financial deal with Warner Bros. Television to adapt the best-seller into a live-action TV series. Sources familiar with the deal note that it is the most expensive TV series that DC Entertainment has ever done.

Allan Heinberg (Wonder Woman, ABC's The Catch, Grey's Anatomy) is set to write and serve as showrunner on the straight-to-series drama. Gaiman, who created the ongoing monthly comic, will exec produce alongside David Goyer. Gaiman and Goyer were both attached to New Line's most recent attempts to adapt Sandman for the big screen.

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
Remember Mosaic? Alpha? Gravity? Loners? Plus, Naomi is taking a hiatus.

How many of the new Age of Heroes do you think are getting play anymore? Brimstone joining Justice League Dark?

It's painfully hard to make new characters hit. Period. We all know this, and yet we get surprised when books selling under 8K with absolutely no school market play don't get more promotion.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
Having Jeff Lemire do a bad impersonation of Fraction was a misread of anything. They should've been fielding every pitch possible for every character capable of carrying a solo. Basically, we should e gotten a bunch of stuff like Immortal Hulk five years ago.
Lemire did do that for Moon Knight and that worked. Hawkeye was always gonna be a problem filling those shoes, hence why they just jumped to Kate Bishop. I do feel a new Hawkeye solo should share the same Fraction-y stuff but still have it's own identity.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
I'm finally moving to Manga, where they know how to treat creators like human beings!
Webp.net-resizeimage-54.jpg

Tyrant Rave

Has A Pretty Cool Jacket
Oct 25, 2017
Gotcha. I'd argue they really didn't copy the Hawkeye strategy when they really should've. Having Jeff Lemire do a bad impersonation of Fraction was a misread of anything. They should've been fielding every pitch possible for every character capable of carrying a solo. Basically, we should e gotten a bunch of stuff like Immortal Hulk five years ago.

I think it's fair to say Marvel tried to replicate Hawkeye for quite a few characters after Fraction. I remember a lot of us poking fun at how many Marvel characters suddenly got pets to try and mimic Pizza Dog for example! Like Black Widow and I think Punisher(?). They were very much trying to get another book like it.

Problem is, not a single one of them was anywhere near Hawkeye's level of quality and originality.

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's fair to say Marvel tried to replicate Hawkeye for quite a few characters after Fraction. I remember a lot of us poking fun at how many Marvel characters suddenly got pets to try and mimic Pizza Dog for example! Like Black Widow and I think Punisher(?). They were very much trying to get another book like it.

Problem is, not a single one of them was anywhere near Hawkeye's level of quality and originality.

That's what I mean, yeah. You had books copying Hawkeye, but surface level stuff like Pizza Dog, the humor, etc. Marvel's takeaway from that should've been to take on interesting, unique pitches, not literally try to copy Hawkeye with other characters.

May 24, 2019
I thought quite a few books trying to shift the tone of series in the NOW! era worked quite well. I really liked the Allredified FF (edit: and Silver Surfer, if we can count All-New NOW! or whenever that was out) and Soule's She Hulk.
Batgirl of Burnside was kinda part of that movement too, and I know people look back on it poorly now, but I still think it was a good burst of fresh air.

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, even a surface level copy can be entertaining it even good, but as Hawkeye went on and the story became more serialized, Fraction and Aja (and Wu!!) were doing some really artful stuff that developed the characters and had real stakes. You came for the style and stayed for the substance basically.

ShadowSwordmaster

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, even a surface level copy can be entertaining it even good, but as Hawkeye went on and the story became more serialized, Fraction and Aja (and Wu!!) were doing some really artful stuff that developed the characters and had real stakes. You came for the style and stayed for the substance basically.
Very true.
I'm finally moving to Manga, where they know how to treat creators like human beings!
Glad to know your stance on this.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
How many of the new Age of Heroes do you think are getting play anymore? Brimstone joining Justice League Dark?

It's painfully hard to make new characters hit. Period. We all know this, and yet we get surprised when book selling under 8K with absolutely no school makret play don't get more promotion.

Hell, the only ones that worked are those who are aimed at that market.

That's what I mean, yeah. You had books copying Hawkeye, but surface level stuff like Pizza Dog, the humor, etc. Marvel's takeaway from that should've been to take on interesting, unique pitches, not literally try to copy Hawkeye with other characters.

It's why Immortal Hulk is so good. It follows the latter. Also Lucky was likely influenced by Chewie.

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017
On this subject, I do think Akira-san is already coming across as a more promising EIC. He wants people to forget the Akira Yoshida thing (lol, not happening) and he's letting them throw a ton of stuff at the wall, but the good thing about that is somewhere in that sea of forgettable minis and I bet-priced one-shots, some of this stuff is gonna genuinely unique and cool and good. We see that in Hulk, we'll hopefully see in in the X-Men line, and hopefully some other stuff, too.

So that's good. There's a ton of stuff I couldn't be less interested in, but the whole line was so dire after Secret Wars and this really isn't anywhere near that thankfully.

Status
Not open for further replies.