• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What is the best way to read comics?

• LCS Floppies Weekly

Votes: 15 9.8%
  • Physical Trades

Votes: 50 32.7%
  • Digital Issues Weekly

Votes: 44 28.8%
  • Digital Trades

Votes: 44 28.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 47942

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 20, 2018
zOGbOzL.png

This shit was fucking rigged, dawg. No way someone didn't pay top dollar to switch votes around.

Shit. I accidentally voted for Jill Stein.

imo it's good to see both sides can make absolutely embarrassing comics

speaking of, Jawbreakers released and you only really need two panels from it, we don't really need to make it a thing, just look at it and get the cheap laughs

I swear this book is a secret parody. Of what, I have no clue but it can't possibly be unintentionally bad.

Speaking of unintentionally bad, I've caught up on Coates current Cap run. Yeesh this book can't tell if it wants to be offensively boring or underwhelming. "Captain of Nothing" is such an appropriate title.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
Will caliph95 actually contribute to comics section or would he forget about the worst community in Era

Tune in next time in comicsera z

Boxy Brown

Oct 27, 2017
imo it's good to see both sides can make absolutely embarrassing comics

speaking of, Jawbreakers released and you only really need two panels from it, we don't really need to make it a thing, just look at it and get the cheap laughs

Even Gaters seem the think it's trash. It's quiet for them.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Just read Action #1008. That ending; I should've expected it since it makes a whole metric fuckton of sense, but I still "oh snapped". Took me back to JLU Waller.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Out of all the Bendis books at DC, Action Comics has been the biggest surprise for me in terms of how much I enjoy it.
Jon Kent change aside, Bendis on Superman is exactly what I expected. Dude is good with characters and their supporting cast; team books and crossovers is where his stuff starts to falter for me. But I'm absolutely loving Action. Moreso than anyone, if there's a character who should have to deal with some mega metahuman conspiracy involving a shadow organization created by Batman's ex-girlfriend, morally dubious government agencies, and people from outer space coming to visit, it's Superman.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Shit. I accidentally voted for Jill Stein.

I swear this book is a secret parody. Of what, I have no clue but it can't possibly be unintentionally bad.

Speaking of unintentionally bad, I've caught up on Coates current Cap run. Yeesh this book can't tell if it wants to be offensively boring or underwhelming. "Captain of Nothing" is such an appropriate title.
Yeah, I dropped it

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
That Hellboy trailer was much better than the first one. Still think its missing a lot of color that the Del Toro movie had.

Mistouze

Oct 26, 2017
And they're going pretty deep in the book's lore. There stuff in the trailer that took, what? 10 year to happen in the comics.

I guess they're going all out in the chance they can justify a Hellboy Cinematic Universe, the material is there.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Justice League #17 from like 3 or 4 weeks ago. How much of a "retcon" is it that Lex and Martian knew each other as kids, but had their memories erased? Or rather what makes that a retcon? Just the fact that they had known eachother in the past?

R0b1n

Jun 29, 2018
Finally read Spider-man #16, and finally the arc is getting somewhere concrete

Porl

Nov 6, 2017
Okay, fuck, wow, I was not ready for Unstoppable Wasp #5. This issue hit hard. I'm surprised they did this in a comic for young readers, but also, this is an important topic and it's good they're educating people about this in a book for teens.
(oh yeah what they talk about is Depression, mental illness, suicide)

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
Been reading Dumb: Living Without a Voice by Georgia Webber. It chronicles the time when the writer loses her voice temporarily due to an illness and how she struggles (emotionally, psychologically and financially) through that time. Interesting use of an overabundance of speech bubbles to reinforce the lead characters silences.

gU8je5D.jpg

02BFxgD.png

What's this about Promethea now?

Immateria edition!

(lol no. It is an ohc).

Between car issues and work stress I can confirm - March Came in Like a Lion. #anime #manga #japan

Ugh, where's the English manga? Save us Yen Press, you are our only hope.

R0b1n

Jun 29, 2018
Okay, fuck, wow, I was not ready for Unstoppable Wasp #5. This issue hit hard. I'm surprised they did this in a comic for young readers, but also, this is an important topic and it's good they're educating people about this in a book for teens.
(oh yeah what they talk about is Depression, mental illness, suicide)
Yeah, a much better take on mental illness than anything from the big 2 right now *cough*Tom King*cough*

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Reading old Micheline ASM and it's surprising to me how similar this rendition of Parker and Spidey is to the Raimi films.

Like Peter internalizes his real-world problems constantly. He worries about his future, his dual-life, his new marriage to MJ. His finances, his opportunities and how they affect those he cares about. He takes his villains and each fight with the seriousness of someone feeling overwhelmed about the situation. Brash against the fodder crooks, but facing "named" villains and he's all concern. Constantly.

He's not quipping that much. In fact after several issues, I think he's made a couple jokes total? He rarely ever really throws out dumb 80's-esque one liners(yet), and this is 80's Spider-Man!

I suppose it's just this specific writer, and I'm sure runs exist that feature more of a 90's cartoon vibe(all puns all the time). Maybe? I guess with so many always whining that Spidey is nothing but a joker and an overconfident brash kid filled with bravado(every new film and game seems to have that litmus test for fans). I instead am greeted with a down-to-earth kid trying not to feel endlessly in over his head. Hmmm....

Oct 27, 2017
Read the following comics from this week, my thoughts:

Actions Comics #1008
  • Epting's art makes things look both old school and rather static. It seems cleaner than some of his Captain America Brubaker run.
  • Waller and Lane knowing Superman's identity is going to lead to interesting drama.
  • The cover art is not at all like the contents of the story.
  • I am interested to see the reveal for this blue energy that shows up everywhere and if it is related to Dr. Manhattan.
  • This story sells me on Waller much more than any Suicide Squad comics I've read. Bendis would do well to get writing duties on the next volume of the criminal hit squad.
Captain America #712
  • Kubert's art is no replacement for Yu.
  • Apart from the slow burn of the first few issues, this felt transitional and not as interesting as recent issues. Coates is setting the table.
  • That is a weird cover and I think it's anatomically incorrect. It seems like there is way too much space under the eyes.
The Flash #65
  • This 4-issue story has been amazing.
  • Sandoval should be the main Flash artist. He has a dynamic style that complements the sense of speed needed for the book.
  • The emotional beats here have been really strong.
  • Is the reference to "Can we keep doing this?" signal a upcoming line-wide change? I remember reading in DC Nation that Didio and the team were considering taking drastic measures with storytelling. I anticipate those will take place in a post-Doomsday Clock DCU.
Ice Cream Man #10
  • Oh cool, there is some untranslated Spanish here.
  • Is the entire issue in Spanish?
  • *Flips to the cover to ensure I didn't accidentally purchase the Spanish version of the issue.
  • Oh, only half the issue is in Spanish.
  • I guess, I will have to use a translator for the first half to figure out what I missed.

Porl

Nov 6, 2017

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Wasp's handling of Hank and Janet's relationship/legacy was brilliant, so I'm not surprised that it's doing a good job handling other sensitive topics.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
Whitley needs a big book, I would pick him to do Young Avengers but I think Marvoo will pick someone on the same level like what happened with Zub.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Warren Ellis and Bryan Hitch MIGHT be working on a Batman book soon? I assume it will only happen if Hawkman either ends, or Hitch takes a break from drawing the book for a bit.

Hitch is going to be on the Jonathan Ross show tomorrow with Sam Jackson (Nick Fury) and Brie Larson (Capt. SJW).

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Warren Ellis and Bryan Hitch MIGHT be working on a Batman book soon? I assume it will only happen if Hawkman either ends, or Hitch takes a break from drawing the book for a bit.

Hitch is going to be on the Jonathan Ross show tomorrow with Sam Jackson (Nick Fury) and Brie Larson (Capt. SJW).

EDIT: Maybe they take over Tec once Tomasi's stuff is done? Or more likely, this is for a Walmart story.

Whoops, my bad.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
The Black Hammer Library Edition is on sale for $5 at CMX! Went ahead and picked it up since that was such a great price.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017

Im super excited for this! But does Starman keep getting younger every issue he shows up in lol? I mean, he looks sick in this image, but I swear he looked like an old man last time I saw him.

EDIT: Just noticed that Sorrentino will be drawing the main story with Jason Aaron, thats about Daredevil! Will probably end up getting that as well as the main book.

Deleted member 47942

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 20, 2018

Im super excited for this! But does Starman keep getting younger every issue he shows up in lol? I mean, he looks sick in this image, but I swear he looked like an old man last time I saw him.

I thought he was dying or something when they first found him and has been on the verge of death until recently? Maybe that explains it.

Status
Not open for further replies.