• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What is the best way to read comics?

• LCS Floppies Weekly

Votes: 15 9.8%
  • Physical Trades

Votes: 50 32.7%
  • Digital Issues Weekly

Votes: 44 28.8%
  • Digital Trades

Votes: 44 28.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
Berserk arrived. I'm really surprised by how Amazon US has such worse quality shipping compared to Japan. In Japan, when they ship books, it's sent in a small box and is wrapped to thin piece of cardboard for support. In the US, the book literally rips through the packaging. Luckily, it looked fine when I pulled it out.
VVjXpwW.jpg
K0X6Xy6.jpg
Pretty cool, because I've never owned a manga this size before. I'd have to say the best edition of a manga I've ever had is still Vertical's release of Gundam: The Origin (especially due to that beautiful paper).

I'm not sure if I'll buy any more of these Berserk Deluxe volumes, since I already own the whole series in Japanese (and I'm not really a fan of most manga translations), but it's nice to have this one.

Porl

Nov 6, 2017

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
As we start receiving our Berserk books, we must ask...

What is the official comic-era reading position for oversized Manga?

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
I think this is different. I haven't read it, but that book is probably closer to Marvels while this is looking at important events in the Marvel Universe from the Big Bang to the end of universe and I'm guessing it won't be through the eyes of the average person.

While Legacies is from the eyes of an average person, it's different from Marvels in that it tells a very long history of the DCU rather than just a few decades, presumably like the History of the Marvel Universe. Also, Legacies focuses more on the events than the character compared to Marvels.

Now, both Marvels and Legacies use the everyman because it's a good way to deliver a spanning story and keep it from feeling like a history book. I'm curious what plot device this book will use. I always enjoy this type of thing, because I can't read every single book published.

Christian

Oct 25, 2017
Finally totally current with the Justice League series, and... they're all really good. I was upset that Priest's JL was a placeholder, but I can't complain about the results. Is Williamson off JLO? Is Abnett his replacement? Or did they just switch Abnett on because Williamson was pulling double-duty on Batman, with the The Price event?

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Finally totally current with the Justice League series, and... they're all really good. I was upset that Priest's JL was a placeholder, but I can't complain about the results. Is Williamson off JLO? Is Abnett his replacement? Or did they just switch Abnett on because Williamson was pulling double-duty on Batman, with the The Price event?
I love JL and JLD. JLO, however, has characters I like (Starfire, Cruz), but otherwise hasn't done much for me. Justice League Dark, however, has truly been a pleasant surprise. I've always liked the magic side of DC and this is doing a great job of revitalizing that.

Duane

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Just finished Life of Captain Marvel, and it was good, but is the source of her powers really now just that she's

half Kree? I mean...she's crazy powerful and has Binary mode and all that. That's not standard Kree powers is it? In fact, does the plain ol Kree citizen have flight powers etc?

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
My friend started Berserk last year, and he was reading scans. They were very poorly translated, and this was a gem I took from a page he showed me.
BpHie3c.png

Christian

Oct 25, 2017
I love JL and JLD. JLO, however, has characters I like (Starfire, Cruz), but otherwise hasn't done much for me. Justice League Dark, however, has truly been a pleasant surprise. I've always liked the magic side of DC and this is doing a great job of revitalizing that.

If you look back earlier in this thread, or maybe last month's thread, I made a comment that JLO is worthless and we're all worse off for its having been released. I've done a 180 after the last couple issues. They're finally getting to the point, and it's tying in with the Source Wall stuff and I kinda dig it. It's definitely the weakest of the group, but I don't find it insulting anymore!

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
JLO seemed horrible from the previews tbf, thats why I never picked it up.

JL and JLD are drop though.

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
How has there not been a Hell Lord event?

Like there have been Hell Lord arcs in Marvel but not an event despite the fact that that shit literally writes itself.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
If you look back earlier in this thread, or maybe last month's thread, I made a comment that JLO is worthless and we're all worse off for its having been released. I've done a 180 after the last couple issues. They're finally getting to the point, and it's tying in with the Source Wall stuff and I kinda dig it. It's definitely the weakest of the group, but I don't find it insulting anymore!
I haven't read the most recent issue, but might give it a shot. I think it doesn't help that I really liked the last things I've read with Cruz (Green Lanterns) and Starfire (her solo series from a few years ago). I'm not consciously comparing JLO to those, but it's hard not to think "I've seen better versions of these characters recently" as I read it.

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
Fair enough, but is Dormammu even doing anything these days?
Who cares?

Audience: Thor why're you here?
Thor: Hela said she'd kick my ass if I didn't come

Audience: Spider-man and Ghost Rider? Man's that's crazy.
Spider-Man: Fucking Mephisto that fucking fuck

Audience: Dormammu?
Strange: Dormammu

And then you got Magik for your default Big Good Hell Lord as she's the only one that's gotten over their "Enslave/Torture/Destroy humanity and enjoy the suffering of the innocents." character tic

ShadowSwordmaster

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Who cares?

Audience: Thor why're you here?
Thor: Hela said she'd kick my ass if I didn't come

Audience: Spider-man and Ghost Rider? Man's that's crazy.
Spider-Man: Fucking Mephisto that fucking fuck

Audience: Dormammu?
Strange: Dormammu

And then you got Magik for your default Big Good Hell Lord as she's the only one that's gotten over their "Enslave/Torture/Destroy humanity and enjoy the suffering of the innocents." character tic
But she is a mutant? I doubt she actually cares about humanity at this point.

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017
They should do a mini about Strange teaching Magik. It's a great idea they haven't actually done much with, unless I've missed something.

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
"Having named Buffy Summers after the X-Men's Scott Summers, a.k.a. Cyclops...."

My mind is officially blown, and I'm mad at myself for never making this connection. It's not even that common a surname!

I could go for a Buffy with a hint of "It's Plan 2. Plan B implies we only have 26."
S7 Buffy was basically getting to that point.

Whedon also based her personality and characterization off of Kitty Pryde, so when people talk about how he write Kitty like Buffy in his Astonishing run, he's really writing her like herself.

Christian

Oct 25, 2017
Liam Sharp's art has been the sole highlight of that Green Lantern run thus far, so the longer they manage to keep him around, the better.

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
I'm kinda surprised Marvel hasn't snagged Murata for a limited series of something. Given how huge a Marvel fanboy he is, and the fact that the guy draws stupid fast.

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

I am leaving this community!
Oct 25, 2017
You guys are dangerously close to actually reading comics. Be careful. Even if its late at night. Don't fall for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.