• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What is the best way to read comics?

• LCS Floppies Weekly

Votes: 15 9.8%
  • Physical Trades

Votes: 50 32.7%
  • Digital Issues Weekly

Votes: 44 28.8%
  • Digital Trades

Votes: 44 28.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

JosephMichael

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I'm sure this question/request is super annoying every time it comes up in the comic community, so I apologize in advance..

Can you guys give me a couple of recommendations for any Marvel TPBs (I think that's the correct term for a full story arc AKA multiple comics bundled into one book) that are newer and have been well-received by the community for me to start with? I don't have a preference for superhero. I'd just like to get my feet wet and would prefer to start by reading a whole story than just a chapter.

Also - Is there a generally preferred resource for trusted comic book reviews I could use? I'm finding all kinds of sites in my google searches.

Thanks in advance

Tyrant Rave

Has A Pretty Cool Jacket
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure this question/request is super annoying every time it comes up in the comic community, so I apologize in advance..

Can you guys give me a couple of recommendations for any Marvel TPBs (I think that's the correct term for a full story arc AKA multiple comics bundled into one book) that are newer and have been well-received by the community for me to start with? I don't have a preference for superhero. I'd just like to get my feet wet and would prefer to start by reading a whole story than just a chapter.

Also - Is there a generally preferred resource for trusted comic book reviews I could use? I'm finding all kinds of sites in my google searches.

Thanks in advance
My go to recs:
Hawkeye by Matt Fraction
Superior Foes of Spider-Man
The Vision by Tom King

All of these receive high praise, and are some of my favorites over recent history. None of them require any sort of prior knowledge to enjoy, and are all completed and not terribly long.

If you're looking for something ongoing then Immortal Hulk, Amazing Spider-Man, and Thor are my current favorites. Thor requires a good amount of reading since it's been going on for years under Jason Aaron, but it's very very good.

Can't really give advice on comics reviews since I don't really follow any sites or people for that stuff. But I'm sure some others here might be able to give some tips there. I mostly buy or read stuff from creators I already enjoy, or if the art on something is appealing to me. Or if something gets strong WoM here, like Immortal Hulk did.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017

Thanks in advance
You need to narrow down your field so we know a bit more to make a rec.

Avengers No Surrender was awesome.
The latest Venom book and Immortal Hulk have been great. Also, Spencer's Amazing Spider-Man and the Coates Captain America.

Avengers by Hickman though is my favorite, but its very long and theres 2 books to follow, along with 2 events.

I've been using Adventures in poor taste .com lately and really enjoy their reviews.

Last edited:

hipsterpants

Oct 25, 2017
The new ASM ongoing is pretty new-reader friendly imo. Yeah some of enjoyment is from seeing things that were lame about the last decade of Spider-Man being fixed, but there's not really any weird continuity stuff. Everything that happens that might be dependent on prior knowledge is explained through either a short flashback or (less often) an editors note. Only exceptions might be OMD references and now Kraven's Last Hunt

Last edited:
OP
OP
Messi

Messi

I am leaving this community!
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone read Little Bird #1 or Assassination Nation #1

echoshifting

very salt heavy
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Negative Zone
I haven't been too hot on Spencer's ASM run so far but today's issue was great comics. I'm glad I stuck with it. This arc is gonna be a blast. When Black Cat casually notes that Billy would make a nice pair of boots right in front of him. I died.

Hard to say if the book is new reader friendly, I think generally speaking it depends on the reader more often than not. Yeah, it references a lot of past stuff but that's just how it goes with any long-running character.

How was Defenders: The Best Defense? The creative behind it makes it appealing, and the collection that dropped today is a friendly price. Worth checking out?

I was just sitting down to read both of these!

Last edited:

LordOfLore

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Stockholm, Sweden
I haven't been too hot on Spencer's ASM run so far but today's issue was great comics. I'm glad I stuck with it. This arc is gonna be a blast.

Hard to say if the book is new reader friendly, I think generally speaking it depends on the reader more often than not. Yeah, it references a lot of past stuff but that's just how it goes with any long-running character.

How was Defenders: The Best Defense? The creative behind it makes it appealing, and the collection that dropped today is a friendly price. Worth checking out?

Ewing=buy

Oct 25, 2017

Defenders Best Defense ruled. Ewing sheparded the whole thing and it wrapped up nicely. Zdarsky's Namor story was a nice prelude to the Invaders ongoing and Latour's Surfer had great art (I had never seen his art before and only knew his writing from Spider-Gwen). I really enjoyed it

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

I am leaving this community!
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't been too hot on Spencer's ASM run so far but today's issue was great comics. I'm glad I stuck with it. This arc is gonna be a blast. When Black Cat casually notes that Billy would make a nice pair of boots right in front of him. I died.

The best Defense was really good imo. Especially Immortal Hulk.

Porl

Nov 6, 2017

Thanks in advance
My go to recs:
Hawkeye by Matt Fraction
Superior Foes of Spider-Man
The Vision by Tom King

All of these receive high praise, and are some of my favorites over recent history. None of them require any sort of prior knowledge to enjoy, and are all completed and not terribly long.

If you're looking for something ongoing then Immortal Hulk, Amazing Spider-Man, and Thor are my current favorites. Thor requires a good amount of reading since it's been going on for years under Jason Aaron, but it's very very good.

Can't really give advice on comics reviews since I don't really follow any sites or people for that stuff. But I'm sure some others here might be able to give some tips there. I mostly buy or read stuff from creators I already enjoy, or if the art on something is appealing to me. Or if something gets strong WoM here, like Immortal Hulk did.
I was gonna say my recommendations but Rave said literally exactly the same I was gonna say

I'd also add
Ahmed and Ward's Black Bolt
Hasting and Gurihuru's Unbeleivable Gwenpool
Cates and Shaw's Thanos Wins

Assassin Nation is real funny and I really liked it. Erica's art is the best, and the colors are fucking wild. Story seems pretty interesting

The Best Defense is awesome. A bunch of great writers and artists paying homage to Kirby, Lee, and Ditko, and having a hell of a time doing it.

echoshifting

very salt heavy
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Negative Zone
I wasn't that into Assassin Nation #1. I think my expectations for the Starks/Henderson combo were too high. The humor didn't land with me and the characters weren't as memorable as I would have liked. The setup is fairly mundane, too. I don't think I will be back for #2.

Little Bird #1 is pretty cool. I am all about the art in this book. Ian Bertram is one of the few artists who I will buy a book for even if the story isn't quite there. I adored his work on House of Penance - anyone who enjoyed the art in Little Bird today should check out that book just for the Bertram art, it is a masterpiece - and it's beautiful here as well. The story has a dreamlike quality that I enjoyed, but I am hoping for a little more clarity next issue. I don't think it is up there with classic debuts like East of West or Extremity (the soft color packet and detailed gore does remind me somewhat of Extremity), but it's worth a look.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Batman Grim Knight was ok. I mean I liked the first half a lot but still don't see why he's teaming up with TBWL in the miniseries. Does he want to live in this Gotham now or something?

Buffy #3 was really fun again. Felt like the issue was missing a few pages in the beginning though. It kinda just started out of nowhere. But I still enjoyed it.

It didn't do a good job setting up whatever happens next issue though, not that it needed to. I'm just really curious.

SpaceSong

Oct 25, 2017
I wasn't that into Assassin Nation #1. I think my expectations for the Starks/Henderson combo were too high. The humor didn't land with me and the characters weren't as memorable as I would have liked. The setup is fairly mundane, too. I don't think I will be back for #2.

Little Bird #1 is pretty cool. I am all about the art in this book. Ian Bertram is one of the few artists who I will buy a book for even if the story isn't quite there. I adored his work on House of Penance - anyone who enjoyed the art in Little Bird today should check out that book just for the Bertram art, it is a masterpiece - and it's beautiful here as well. The story has a dreamlike quality that I enjoyed, but I am hoping for a little more clarity next issue. I don't think it is up there with classic debuts like East of West or Extremity (the soft color packet and detailed gore does remind me somewhat of Extremity), but it's worth a look.
I remember when Bertram did an issue of Batman Eternal and everyone on reddit shat themselves saying it was awful. lmao ur loss losers. I asked my store to hold a copy of Little Bird #1 for me so I can buy it later. Looking forward to it. Book looks insane.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Captain Marvel was fine, just fine, and made me feel old cause of some 90s stuff. XD
captain-marvel-carol-fury.jpg

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
man, going from bachalo art in ASM 15 and then opening up the first page of ASM 16 to be greeted by the many faces of ottley was quite the transition

hipsterpants

Oct 25, 2017
So it's looking like the Centipede dude's identity will be officially revealed in ASM #24. Any spicy theories as to who it could be? I've seen plenty of shit about dead characters from Peter's past but I don't know who would fit the bill without a massive retcon.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
I read somewhere that they had to use a bootleg NIN shirt becuase they couldnt find one or something. And its not like Trent isnt getting his money after that shirt deal anyway lol.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Woah, this Sega Judgement news is kinda crazy. Cant imagine an entire game getting cancelled because one of the characters got caught with cocaine.

I was really looking forward to it too, so I hope this doesnt kill it in the west.

SpaceSong

Oct 25, 2017
A band has an art director!?
Yeah, sometimes if they care to build an aesthetic and brand identity. Which NIN definitely had.
Woah, this Sega Judgement news is kinda crazy. Cant imagine an entire game getting cancelled because one of the characters got caught with cocaine.

I was really looking forward to it too, so I hope this doesnt kill it in the west.
Yeah gonna be fucking pissed if that happens. Japan's drug laws and culture around it is full of weird over correction.

Whistler

Oct 27, 2017
Spider-Man was a great setup. I can't wait to see these rich chumps get taken out. Hopefully we get some good "scary Spidey" panels.

Hulk is the breakout of Avengers: No Road Home. That moment this week cements this Hulk as truly terrifying.

Batman With Guns was fine. I thought the art carried most of it. I love that he looks like Frank Miller Batman sometimes, too.

Whistler

Oct 27, 2017

This is the second time for that team, too. I think a Yakuza game changed actor since he got caught with drugs.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Where does Shang Chi get those new powers during Hickman's Avengers? Or when does he find out who his father is? Is that all in the Avengers World run that came out alongside Hickman's Avengers, or in the Shang Chi one shot? Im almost half way through the second omni and havent seen any of that yet.

Was Avengers World good?

Last edited:

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
ASM 17 was good stuff. still some classic ramos faces in there but yeah overall the art was surprisingly good. I'm actually legit excited for new ASM books again. comics are good

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks folks! Seems like Best Defense is a good buy at nine bucks.

I spent $25 getting it weekly and don't really regret it. My only issue is that there's no ongoing to follow up, because it seems like such a great jumping off point.

Wonder Twins #2 - After a shaky first issue this one was another knockout from Russell. Did not expect this series to be about the American prison system but damn if it doesn't works. Everything with Drunkula was that perfect threaded needle of hilarious and soul-crushingly sad. Jayna is kind of an "author mouthpiece" character but... I still like her.

Superman #9 - What a weird book. The intro was weird. The Ultraman stuff was weird but also maybe brilliant? Though I'm not sure it's really consistent with his character.

Amazing Spider-Man #17 - Love how cinematic this issue felt. The dark skies, the thunderbolts, the really grim staging... I'll echo the Ramos praise here because he nailed it. Really looking forward to seeing how these personalities all clash and intersect because that's always Spencer's strength.

Runaways #19 - Thank god... Genolet is actually a damn fine replacement for Anka. Almost as good, if not better, with some super expressive work (and Molly getting so much focus shows that off). The shot of the not-quite-empty, lived in Hayes locker was really poignant, too. And Zombie Alex is finally clicking... wasn't super excited when he came back, or when Rowell integrated him into the run, but it's paying off here and I'm looking forward to his story developing.

Magnificent Ms. Marvel #1 - Another switch that I'm happy with! Ahmed definitely brought the heat here, with Kamala's parents feeling way too relatable. (And this issue, in dialogue with Champions #2, REALLY hits home.) No idea where the plot is headed, between that cliffhanger and the framing device. But I'm in.

Matsukaze

Oct 25, 2017
Age of X-Man: Apocalypse and the X-tracts #1 - Why am I doing this to myself? I knew Age of X-Man was going to be meh at best, yet I can't stop. Anyway, this issue was pretty bland but I got a laugh out of Apocalypse believing that Omega Red and Communism will save the day. This might actually be entertaining if only to watch everything fall apart for him and his Riders.

Uncanny X-Men: Winter's End - The tone of this was all over the place and really hurt it. I am glad that Bobby brought up the fact that he was still pissed about Young Jean outing Young Bobby but it got shelved too quickly. I also think it's wild that Ice Master's dystopian nightmare just gets swept aside; doesn't seem like he should be able to stay calm about it at any point, let alone go out for a drink at Bobby's birthday party. Oh and Daken is still a shit - what a shocker lol.

X-Force #4 - Underwhelming. Kid Cable dedicating himself to rescuing Rachel is cool, but the rest of the issue was fairly dull. The villain vs villain brawl did nothing for me and the issue's ending was pretty poor.

Rackham

Oct 25, 2017
I'm picking up Doomsday Clock 9 and the Grim Knight tomorrow! Excited. Thinking about picking up Batman/Flash The Price too
How much would you guys pay for a DC Unlimited? I would shell out like $60/year. Idk how much Marvel Unlimited is.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.