• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What is the best way to read comics?

• LCS Floppies Weekly

Votes: 15 9.8%
  • Physical Trades

Votes: 50 32.7%
  • Digital Issues Weekly

Votes: 44 28.8%
  • Digital Trades

Votes: 44 28.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Christian

Oct 25, 2017
So I haven't been reading comics in.. a while. I used to read Ultimate Spider-Man (RIP), Ms. Marvel and Spidey up to a bit after the end of Superior Spider-Man.

I was wondering whether I can jump into (and where) back into those three series.

I liked Nick Spencer in Superior Foes and Ant-Man, how is he on Spider-Man? Can I figure out what's going on from #1?
How's post-Bendis Miles Morales?
What's going on with Ms. Marvel? I dropped it after it got too involved in cross-overs like Secret Wars.
Also maybe I should start reading Squirrel Girl again?

I should also note that I don't like "events" and "crossovers" so if you have a series that's similar to the above and doesn't constantly delve into that it'll be good (I don't read DC, but other non-Marvel stuff is okay).

The same writer took over Miles-Man and Ms. Marvel, and they both have relaunched books so there's probably no better time to jump back in.

You can start Spencer's ASM at #1 and you shouldn't miss a beat. It should fill you in on anything you missed.

Coincidentally, Squirrel Girl is about to tie in to its first event, ever - War of the Realms. I think it's only one or two issues, and it probably won't be essential to the event. Otherwise, the series is still great and you should definitely read it.

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
Physical trades still going strong. Might win the poll unless Messi Bush-Floridas the poll like list time.

Also, Unbeatable Squirrel Girl OHC v4 ends on Henderson's last issue. So perfect.

Maaaaan, just read League of Extraordinary Gentlemen for the first time, and yeeeeeah, that was not for me. First volume was kind of okayish but definitely not my cup of tea, but the second just felt straight up unpleasant. Bleh. Is this actually regarded as a classic by folks around here, or is it just one of those things where it became a known name for whatever reason?

Volume 1 had some problematic elements but was a fun pulpy arc. Volume 2 is shit. Didn't ready anything LOEG after that. I actually have the Absolute edition of volume 1 and have never felt the urge to go back, should put it on eBay sometime.

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
So the Magnificant Ms. Marvel is alright so far. I feel like the writers are still trying to get with things right now.

I really hope the mother didn't just our Kamala like that without any justification.

Matsukaze

Oct 25, 2017
Really enjoyed Magnificent Ms. Marvel #1. A fair amount of it was going over history, but I won't fault a first issue for going that route.

So the Magnificant Ms. Marvel is alright so far. I feel like the writers are still trying to get with things right now.

I really hope the mother didn't just our Kamala like that without any justification.
About that...

The issue hints that her dad is facing a serious health concern. Her mom begins to tell Kamala that something has changed with her father before he cuts her off. A few panels before that, her dad brings up a story about a serious health concern that Kamala had as a baby, which reads like a parallel to his own new (hypothetical) health issue.

9dc743b9-3186-4a72-94ab-1523552e5c27.png

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
I don't remember Shang Chi appearing...
What new powers are you talking about?

You might be thinking of Amadeus Cho maybe, I know he was in there with weird powers talking about his parents.
He shows up a couple times in Hickman's Avengers/New Avengers. But I think the stuff I was looking for happens in Avengers World and his Secret Wars mini.

Rocket is finally wearing the DnA GotG outfit in Avengers Endgame!

Last edited:

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
They say they are gay friendly but that means jackshit these days if all they do is pull bullshit like this. It doesn't help the Realms arc is mainly focused on Valykie and Angela is literally doing shit. Angela is the most wasted draft pick.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
They say they are gay friendly but that means jackshit these days if all they do is pull bullshit like this. It doesn't help the Realms arc is mainly focused on Valykie and Angela is literally doing shit. Angela is the most wasted draft pick.
They're gay friendly when it's profitable

Christian

Oct 25, 2017
Is it not doing well? That's a shame, I just started it and I like it a lot

It's surprisingly fun, and I'll be disappointed if they kill it. It's written much more competently than Fearless Defenders, which I wanted to like, but it just didn't do it for me. Asgardians has a fun cast of characters, cosmic stories and stakes, it fits a different niche than the Guardians. I really hope it manages to stick around for a while.

Christian

Oct 25, 2017

"Oh man, just wait. I know we say that all the time, but I like to think by now that you guys trust me when I tell you things are going to be big," Cates tells Newsarama. "The last page of this annual will kind of spell out the big throughline for the rest of my Guardians run. That's all I'll say for now. But you'll want to be paying attention to this one."

Cates will be writing this June one-shot alongside Thanos writer Tini Howard, as well as Al Ewing, Zack Thompson, and Lonnie Nadler. Artists including Yildriray Cinar, Ibrahim Moustafa, and Felipe Andrade will be drawing the annual.

GOT DAMN

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
That will hopefully shut the Rich Rider fans up. Heres the issue's description from the solicit:

Since the Black Order's attack on the galaxy's greatest defenders, the cosmos has been wtihout its heroes. Find out what really happened to Nova, Quasar, Adam Warlock, and Darkhawk! And who better to tell this story than Cosmo, the Spacedog?
Really happy with that roster, if thats who will be in the actual book.
Id like to see them throw in Wraith after he made an appearance in GOTG. Dont know much about him.

I forget who was asking (possibly Einchy ?), Berserk deluxe v1 is back on IST.
I was, thanks!!

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Wonder Twins was solid. Like the Flintstones comic Russell is able to provide pretty strong and biting social critiques in comics that wouldn't seemingly lend themselves to it.

Also, I started to read Mage: Hero Denied and I'm really enjoying it. The first two Mage series were great and this seems to be good so far as well.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017

It was only a first issue. I thought it was a solid introduction for a new creative team.

Messi... Your text appearing to the right of the tweet is driving me up the fucking wall. Pls press enter if you insist on embedding tweets.
They're gay friendly when it's profitable
ding ding ding
I still have to wait until March 26 for Amazon to get Berserk instock.
Can't believe people are going to buy Berserk again. You realize you're going to buy 13 of those massive fuckers just to catch up to what's currently released, right?

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

I am leaving this community!
Oct 25, 2017
It was only a first issue. I thought it was a solid introduction for a new creative team.

Messi... Your text appearing to the right of the tweet is driving me up the fucking wall. Pls press enter if you insist on embedding tweets.

ding ding ding

Can't believe people are going to buy Berserk again. You realize you're going to buy 13 of those massive fuckers just to catch up to what's currently released, right?

It's my new style

Rackham

Oct 25, 2017
qBrNFzW.jpg

Just got this baby in. Can't wait to frame it. Gonna buy the trade soon.

Also got Doomsday Clock 9 and the Grim Knight today. I'm excited but my girlfriend is here so I cant read them :'(

Status
Not open for further replies.