• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Gwen Stacy or Mary Jane?

• Mary Jane

Votes: 65 58.0%
  • Gwen Stacy

Votes: 47 42.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Havent read UXM yet, but the art looks so much better than Larroca's lol.

DC updated a ton of their solicits now that the Year of the Villain one shot is out.

Also, theres some new preview pages for Snyder/Capullo's Batman Last Knight on Earth book. I havent read them, just took a look at them real quick. Capullo's art looks great as usual. I just hope this isnt just a all in Batman's head kind of story while hes going crazy or something lol.

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017

DC updated a ton of their solicits now that the Year of the Villain one shot is out.

Also, theres some new preview pages for Snyder/Capullo's Batman Last Knight on Earth book. I havent read them, just took a look at them real quick. Capullo's art looks great as usual. I just hope this isnt just a all in Batman's head kind of story while hes going crazy or something lol.

It is an issue that if all of rosenberg's previous stuff didn't happen/was addressed. Might have been his best issue.

But with all of that stuff in the background i just keep thinking "Man, a lot of this doesn't hit home as hard as it should."

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Was Infinity Countdown/Infinity Wars good? Are those the only 2 trades I would need for the story?

I feel like I saw a lot of these kind of books pop up over the last few years with the popularity of the movies and I got a bit lost. Last one I read was just Infinity,
It was alright, lead up to the event was better than the actual event. GotG was amazing beforehand too.

And yeah they'd be all you need.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Was Infinity Countdown/Infinity Wars good? Are those the only 2 trades I would need for the story?

I feel like I saw a lot of these kind of books pop up over the last few years with the popularity of the movies and I got a bit lost. Last one I read was just Infinity,
The Guardians run leading up to it was really good. Just a lot of fun and I totally recommend reading it. The actual events themselves just felt unnecessary and more like a continuation of the GOTG book, but blown up into an event. Nothing really happens besides introducing some new elements. The Infinity Warps stuff was probably the best part of it.

They do kinda lead into the current GotG run though. So you might be a little lost without it, but it can be summed up really easily if you do decide to just skip them.

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

I am leaving this community!
Oct 25, 2017

Oh ffs. Which ones.

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

the lead up to Infinity Wars in Guardians and the Infinity Countdown stuff was awesome

Infinity Wars was just......there? I guess? felt all over the place. I guess it sets the table for the Wolverine thing and some stuff that's happening in Cates' Guardians but yeah, super meh

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
yeah I got through all that stuff. I really liked that section though I felt the reading order that I've been going by sucked. it jumped around too much where you're reading stuff in Guardians or Nova that give away what happens in the main event book before you read it and also it omits some crucial books in favor of a one issue "comic" (War of Kings Saga) that I hesitate to even call a comic because it's just a summary of what happened in the books that were omitted where it's just pictures and typed word summaries. the omitted comics were in the two War of Kings Omnibuses though so I just skipped that book and read the actual comics so that was fine but what a weird choice. I feel like the whole point of these large reading lists is to read a bunch of dope ass comic books that all play into a large continuity so omitting some more dope ass comic books in favor of a summary book that'd be super boring to read was weird.

but yeah really liked this section. the Uncanny X-Men stuff was cool. cool to see some of the stuff that was pulled into First Class. the Nova and Guardians stuff is always good. loved all the stuff with Gladiator. loved all the stuff with Darkhawk. Silent War was one of the books not on the list but I loved that. I'd never gotten big into the Inhumans before and that was a good book to get into their dynamic. the art for that book was also fantastic.
Yea I might start reading that again after I finish Brubaker's Cap and Final Crisis. I read it as it was coming out, but I think I missed a bunch of stuff in the middle. But ive been dying for a good Space Opera and it seems like this is pretty much the best bet from Marvel.

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
Also not sure if a

Mutant version of Boy's don't cry works. I mean I like it but at the same time... mmmm

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty much all of them lol. Most notably stuff like Batman and the Outsiders, and they also added the Batman/Superman book.

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2019/0...-the-villain-offer-lex-luthor-transformation/

Thanks guys. Which Guardians trades would I need?
https://www.comixology.com/All-New-...V4L2Rlc2t0b3Avc2xpZGVyTGlzdC9zZXJpZXNTbGlkZXI

If you prefer physical versions, they also did an Deluxe/Omnibus that collects the entire run which is pretty cheap.
EDIT: Scratch that, its much cheaper to get the digital tpbs lol.

R0b1n

Jun 29, 2018
Today's GL is too novel-like for my taste. I don't mind long paragraphs of text but it felt like I was reading a novel, not a comic, with the prose. Not to say I don't like reading novels, but the text doesn't complement the art well imo

Deleted member 1478

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Pretty much all of them lol. Most notably stuff like Batman and the Outsiders, and they also added the Batman/Superman book.

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2019/0...-the-villain-offer-lex-luthor-transformation/

https://www.comixology.com/All-New-...V4L2Rlc2t0b3Avc2xpZGVyTGlzdC9zZXJpZXNTbGlkZXI

If you prefer physical versions, they also did an Deluxe/Omnibus that collects the entire run which is pretty cheap.
EDIT: Scratch that, its much cheaper to get the digital tpbs lol.

Thanks, I'll get the digital versions. I've had to limit my physical collection these days due to lack of space.

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
Also I blinked and suddenly Shatterstar, Layla Miller, Surge and Prodigy are on the uncanny x-men team.

THE FUCK?!

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Today's GL is too novel-like for my taste. I don't mind long paragraphs of text but it felt like I was reading a novel, not a comic, with the prose. Not to say I don't like reading novels, but the text doesn't complement the art well imo
Yeah, I hate walls of text in comics

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
I really like Meet the Skrulls.

Was expecting a Vision ripoff and that's not what i got, and I'm glad it wasn't.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
OK, just about ready to read Civil War II.

Let's see here...
https://www.comicbookherald.com/the-complete-marvel-reading-order-guide/civil-war-2/

<eyes fly out of head>

OK, will probably skip some of that.

Funny thing, I've ready almost everything leading up to the actual bannered issues, and I still have no clue what this Civil War is going to be about. Either they didn't really foreshadow it or I'm just oblivious.

It's about Minority Report.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
There are legitimately no Shonen Jumps that I read coming out in May. Will be back in June.
Maybe there are Shonen Jumps that other people read. This isn't just Messi: The Thread.
They don't want us to wield that much power again.
At least they realized the mistake they made last time.
DC also cancelled the 12 issue HC collecting all of Doomsday Clock after the two trade were announced last week.
What the fuck is DC's trade division even doing anymore?

Deleted member 47942

Banned
Sep 20, 2018
Justice League and Year of the Villain have me excited for whatever Snyder's going to attempt next.

Also, that pilot was a reveal I didn't see coming but loved.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017

I'm over it. Now that DCU has their whole library, and I have a tablet that matches the size of a trade paper pack page, I don't even care anymore unless they start getting their act together and releasing more stuff that people actually want, and in oversized format.

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

I am leaving this community!
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe there are Shonen Jumps that other people read. This isn't just Messi: The Thread.

At least they realized the mistake they made last time.

Maybe they should make the thread? The Shonen Jumps are literally a reminder for me FYI.

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
If it's for free it's for me. Unless it's an STD.
giphy.gif

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
I've decided to re-read Paper Girls from the start AND Snyder's Batman from the start to prep for the ending of both.

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
Yeah... about UXM.

What happened to Wolfsbane was messed up. Sure she's likely to return when the event is over, but it felt tasteless.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
I wanna discuss this latest issue of UXM with you when you get to it. Cause i got some conflicted feelings on it
Just finished. Had to read 16 first lol.

I dunno. It was probably one of the better issues so far, but that still isnt saying much imo.

I just really want Age of X-Man to finish and see if having all of those characters back will improve the book at all.

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
Just finished. Had to read 16 first lol.

I dunno. It was probably one of the better issues so far, but that still isnt saying much imo.

I just really want Age of X-Man to finish and see if having all of those characters back will improve the book at all.
I personally consider the pre age of X rosenberg cast way worse than the post.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
I personally consider the pre age of X rosenberg cast way worse than the post.
I mean sure, having a smaller cast to deal with has been for the better. I just don't like them all sitting in this bar basement just feeling almost aimless. I meant more like hopefully it will change the status quo and give them more to do.

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
What actually happened? Rahne's been through the ringer already.
So... one night, she was getting sexually harassed by some frat boy. His clique came by and egged on her. That's when she lost her cool and transformed to slash his face. Yet... she refused to defend herself afterwards, right to when the frat boys beat her to death.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Yup that was pretty stupid. UXM just feels like Rosenberg trying to work these issues in the book that just end up coming off really dumb or misguided. Like for shock value or something. It's stupid and I just don't care about anything happening in the book at all anymore.

On the Year of the Villain, that first story was great! Really looking forward to finding what happens now.

And I like how the first thing Bendis is going to do is tackle the question of is Leviathan Jason todd lol.

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
eh, I'd say only this issue has an allegory topic. Everything else has been dumb stuff that doesn't really play to any real world allegory.

And I think it would have worked, if they lead in wasn't so terrible. Dead Souls and UXM really ruin that cause it goes counter to the Rahne Rosenberg has portrayed to us.

just like how

Karma's speech would have hit a lot harder if we didn't know 85% of those people aren't dead/staying dead for even 6 months and is being led by two characters who literally just came back from the dead.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Meant like the Trump political rally thing in the first few issues. But no there hasn't been a lot of those, they just stand out

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
He also must have like a check list of people he's allowed to kill lol. Seems like every few issues they are offing someone lately, just cuz.

Status
Not open for further replies.