• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Gwen Stacy or Mary Jane?

• Mary Jane

Votes: 65 58.0%
  • Gwen Stacy

Votes: 47 42.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
What are your all's favorite Marvel event and favorite DC event? There are so many bad ones, but there are some amazing ones, too.

I know the term is kind of fluid in its definition. Nothing about Sinestro Corps War should be an event, because it all takes place between two existing ongoing series, but it's big and bombastic enough that I'm okay with that label for it. But typically it would be a standalone set of issues, and usually have some tie-ins.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fuck, do I even want to continue with Vinland Saga? Well yes but humour me for a moment.

Volume 4 ended in the most perfect way possible, and that was a goddamn prologue to the real meat and potatoes of the story. I'm almost worried about continuing because how do you top the epic conclusion that was the final chapter of the prologue with, well, anything?

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
What are your all's favorite Marvel event and favorite DC event? There are so many bad ones, but there are some amazing ones, too.

I know the term is kind of fluid in its definition. Nothing about Sinestro Corps War should be an event, because it all takes place between two existing ongoing series, but it's big and bombastic enough that I'm okay with that label for it. But typically it would be a standalone set of issues, and usually have some tie-ins.

Sinestro Corps War
Annihilation
Age of Apocalypse

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Fuck, do I even want to continue with Vinland Saga? Well yes but humour me for a moment.

Volume 4 ended in the most perfect way possible, and that was a goddamn prologue to the real meat and potatoes of the story. I'm almost worried about continuing because how do you top the epic conclusion that was the final chapter of the prologue with, well, anything?
Do you mean volume 3? I just took out volume 4 and I'm thinking you mean 3.

I don't wanna accidentally spoil what 4 is if you haven't already read it.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This Marvel sale is The Best. I am saving so much money this week.

What Marvel sale? The CMX Unlimited one?

Do you mean volume 3? I just took out volume 4 and I'm thinking you mean 3.

I don't wanna accidentally spoil what 4 is if you haven't already read it.

Volume 4 which ends with
Askeladd's murder of King Sweryn to save Wales from invasion, his death at the hands of Canute, and Thorfinn getting sold into slavery.

It's just... it's amazing. This feels like a complete series and it hasn't even begun yet.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Im having a hard time resisting the urge to go crazy with the cmxu Marvel sale lol. There will probably be much better prices later on, but literally everything is on sale atm damnit. Already bought all of the Road to Onslaught tpbs and Waid's Ka-Zar.

I have a problem.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Volume 4 which ends with
Askeladd's murder of King Sweryn to save Wales from invasion, his death at the hands of Canute, and Thorfinn getting sold into slavery.
It's just... it's amazing. This feels like a complete series and it hasn't even begun yet.
Have you seen anything of the
slavery?

[edit]

Oh wait, I see.

The last bit of volume 4 has that stuff.

So, yeah, the series does feel like it ends there and the next couple of volumes are Part II or something. It's totally different, and I can totally see why some would not like it, but I think if you enjoy this series for the emotional side of it, then you will love the rest of the volumes.

Deleted member 47942

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 20, 2018

Some I've enjoyed just off the top of my head:
Sinestro Corps War
DC One Million
Infinite Crisis (Countdown, the four minis, and 52 included)
Throne of Atlantis
Messiah Complex
Annihilation, Annihilation Conquest, War of Kings

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Have you seen anything of the
slavery?

No not yet.

I know the story continues, but Thorfinn was such a broken shell of a person that his current status feels almost like the only ending that could possibly happen to him. Leif straight up begs him to come home and Thorfinn pisses off becuase gotta murder Askeladd, and then Askeladd just beats the shit out of him with his bare hand and lets him know the last decade of his life was completely misspent, and then he loses the chance to kill Askeladd anyway. He's done, he's broken, but no matter what this was his only fate.

I'm still going to continue because Vinland Saga is genuinely one of the best comics I've ever read and has rocketed onto my Top Ten off the strength of its prologue, but goddamn I have no idea how that beauty can be topped.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
No not yet.

I know the story continues, but Thorfinn was such a broken shell of a person that his current status feels almost like the only ending that could possibly happen to him. Leif straight up begs him to come home and Thorfinn pisses off becuase gotta murder Askeladd, and then Askeladd just beats the shit out of him with his bare hand and lets him know the last decade of his life was completely misspent, and then he loses the chance to kill Askeladd anyway. He's done, he's broken, but no matter what this was his only fate.

I'm still going to continue because Vinland Saga is genuinely one of the best comics I've ever read and has rocketed onto my Top Ten off the strength of its prologue, but goddamn I have no idea how that beauty can be topped.
I just edited that post, I think you'll like it.

Thorfinn's characterization in the rest of the volumes is downright amazing. How the events of volume 3 shape him into the person he becomes in volume 4 is great storytelling.

echoshifting

very salt heavy
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Negative Zone

Porl

Nov 6, 2017
So, who would you all choose for the x-men relaunch?

For starters, I want Brisson on a book with the kids at school, Kelly with something similar in tone to WCA, and Al Ewing on a Sunspot-led team

Last edited:

Porl

Nov 6, 2017
I'm struggling to think of women writers at Marvel outside of Kelly, Eve Ewing and Mariko Tamaki

Edit: Oh and Leah Williams. She could do another book after AoX

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
I am nearing the end of jms' spiderman run, just finished back to black and i gotta ask: when did they give peter organic web shooters?
Also the other was too long and boring. Couldve been resolved in 6 issues and they didnt explain how morlun returned @_@

TropicalFish

Oct 25, 2017
Leah Williams deserves to do an Emma Frost solo/Hellfire Club book. Her X-Men Black issue was great.

In other news why was Generation X (new one) dragged by everyone I kinda love it.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
I get some of these from the library in trades, and many of the ones I buy I get on sale... but I'm apparently reading almost 70 ongoing series. No wonder catching up is taking me a while.
Oh, I want absolutely everyone to read it because it's a masterpiece of unintentional comedy. It's The Room of comics.
I've met Tommy Wiseau twice. I should've told him to write a comic. Fuck... I want this now.

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017

Forever Evil
Messiah CompleX because I don't think I've read a Marvel event I enjoyed so I'm going with a crossover
So, who would you all choose for the x-men relaunch?

For starters, I want Brisson on a book with the kids at school, Kelly with something similar in tone to WCA, and Al Ewing on a Sunspot-led team
Brisson, Tamaki, and Thompson were all fine. That's the problem I have. But in truth;

Brisson should do X-Force. They can relaunch it if they want, but he should still do it.

Thompson should slam out New Mutants. And I don't mean specifically that set of characters, I mean the concept, because that got lost somewhere a long the way. X-Men in training style concept. Mutants learning to be mutants, not to be X-Men, but the possibility exists. Mr & Mrs X shows how she makes accidental superheroics work and WCA shows she can handle an ensemble.

Ewing should do X-Factor. Read any of his Avengers stuff and I shouldn't have to explain why, but X-Men as a business is the man's destiny.

Tamaki doing more X-23 or another solo series as a whole, or nothing works for me. I have no idea how her team stuff is.

Rosenberg's Uncanny has mixed opinions and I haven't read it, but his Astonishing was fun. Just a group of washed-up old X-Men lead by the least likable motherfucker ever. It was hilarious. And Warpath as their babysitter.

Last edited:

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
Finished up Old Man Logan finally. Not the way I expected that to end and yet oddly fitting. Time to read Dead Man Logan now, but I got that digital soooooo making my way through floppies...

Next is Ms. Marvel!

Porl

Nov 6, 2017
Forever Evil
Messiah CompleX because I don't think I've read a Marvel event I enjoyed so I'm going with a crossover

Brisson, Tamaki, and Thompson were all fine. That's the problem I have. But in truth;

Brisson should do X-Force. They can relaunch it if they want, but he should still do it.

Thompson should slam out New Mutants. And I don't mean specifically that set of characters, I mean the concept, because that got lost somewhere a long the way. X-Men in training style concept. Mutants learning to be mutants, not to be X-Men, but the possibility exists. Mr & Mrs X shows how she makes accidental superheroics work and WCA shows she can handle an ensemble.

Ewing should do X-Factor. Read any of his Avengers stuff and I shouldn't have to explain why, but X-Men as a business is the man's destiny.

Tamaki doing more X-23 or another solo series as a whole, or nothing works for me. I have no idea how her team stuff is.
This is all very true

Though I still think Brisson writes more interesting stories with the x-students like glob than with things like X-forcr

Last edited:
OP
OP
Messi

Messi

I am leaving this community!
Oct 25, 2017
Haven't been keeping up with Sunstone, what happened lately?

Volume 6 came out recently in trade. Starting up the storyline with Alan and Anne. Continues Ally and Lisas story. It's still wonderful you should buy it.

We defining Messi's fetishes as "really popular" now?

Don't be mean. You know Sunstone is legit popular. It's not just me.

Whitley would be a really great fit for Runaways

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.