• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Gwen Stacy or Mary Jane?

• Mary Jane

Votes: 65 58.0%
  • Gwen Stacy

Votes: 47 42.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
Wolverine and the X-Men not off to a great start tbh. I know it is issue #1 and they must be wrapping things up after an event or something, but still. Not a big fan of the art style either.

Yo, this looks great!

I grabbed the tpb on CMXU. Might need to check it out and see what the show will be like.

I see they have already changed things up with her ex and her being bi.

What are your all's favorite Marvel event and favorite DC event? There are so many bad ones, but there are some amazing ones, too.

I know the term is kind of fluid in its definition. Nothing about Sinestro Corps War should be an event, because it all takes place between two existing ongoing series, but it's big and bombastic enough that I'm okay with that label for it. But typically it would be a standalone set of issues, and usually have some tie-ins.

Not many actually.

Annihilation through Realm of Kings on the Marvel side.

DC 1,000,000
Maybe about 60% of 52.

Radeo

Banned
Apr 26, 2019
Tried to order the 2nd printing of Agents of Atlas but they still have too many 1st copies to sell......

Error_404

Nov 12, 2017
Guardians of the Galaxy was really good

The fact that Thor, GotG and Venom are all vaguely interconnected titles is pretty fun, if Cates gets Thor after Aaron is done, it would be pretty cool if he did a three way crossover between the titles

hipsterpants

Oct 25, 2017
Between ASM and Life Story I did not get any happy feelings from Spider-Man comics today. Life Story is still so, so good and again went places I wasn't expecting while still staying true to the major storylines of the 80s.
Kravenom is super inspired AND we might not be burdened with the existence of Eddie Brock
so a win/win. Dunno what 90s stuff we're getting, maybe Carnage except actually horrifying and not a cheesy murdering goofball.

Hunted after a few solid middle issues is getting really dark right at the end. Spencer out here turning controversial or disliked Spider-Man stories into extremely good content.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US

ElNarez

Oct 28, 2017
all of the issues of War of Realms have been good so far (because you can't really have a bad issue with Dauterman doing his thing) but #4 is the first great one, it all just lines up and it comes together, and I wish Aaron's Avengers had been like that from the start, it's fun and epic and tragic in all the right ways, it gets cool character interactions that don't feel contrived for the sake of the moment, and the only reason why it's not the most fun I've had reading a team book this week is because Justice League is still on some world-class shit

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
This CMXU deal has me thinking about buying more Marvel new releases than I normally would lol. Guess its working as intended. Wonder if this is a test or something to see if sales go up. Expect retailers to start flipping out if it does come back.

Wolverine and the X-Men not off to a great start tbh. I know it is issue #1 and they must be wrapping things up after an event or something, but still. Not a big fan of the art style either.
Wolverine and the X-Men starts out directly after Schism. I dunno if you remember that, but that was when the X-Men split in two. One side with Cyclops, and the other with Wolverine. Which then leads into Avengers vs. X-Men.

You dont like Bachalo though!? Hes only there for the first arc, then Bradshaw takes over for pretty much the entire run.

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
Wolverine and the X-Men starts out directly after Schism. I dunno if you remember that, but that was when the X-Men split in two. One side with Cyclops, and the other with Wolverine. Which then leads into Avengers vs. X-Men.

You dont like Bachalo though!? Hes only there for the first arc, then Bradshaw takes over for pretty much the entire run.

This is my first ever X-Men comic (not counting X-Statix). So I don't have a lot of context. Hopefully things get on track from #2.

I don't know how I feel about Bachalo's work tbh. It just seems to change so much with what ever is in vogue, almost like a chameleon. I liked his Vertigo era work well enough, but have come to dislike his page compositions/layouts in recent work. Great in previews and as wallpapers maybe, but Dr. Strage was very painful to read.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
This is my first ever X-Men comic (not counting X-Statix). So I don't have a lot of context. Hopefully things get on track from #2.

I don't know how I feel about Bachalo's work tbh. It just seems to change so much with what ever is in vogue, almost like a chameleon. I liked his Vertigo era work well enough, but have come to dislike his page compositions/layouts in recent work. Great in previews and as wallpapers maybe, but Dr. Strage was very painful to read.
That was a really strange time for the X-Men. Guess I never really considered how awkward it would be just jumping in at that point. Basically Wolverine and Scott had a huge fight and super awkward break up. Which caused the "Schism" and split the X-Men into two separate teams. Logan started the New Jean Grey school, where the X-Mansion used to be, and Cyc got the Island in San Fran.

I'm not sure how much AvX interrupts the book. I'm pretty sure the issues that take places during the event were actual event issues and not just tie ins. So it might be good to either read the whole event or skip those issues if they feel too disjointed.

I don't know how you will feel about Bradshaw's art. He's not Bachalo, but he does have a more cartoonish feel.

If your pretty new to reading X-Men though, you should start with something like Whedon's Astonishing X-Men or Morison's New X-Men. Those are probably the better jumping on points.

P.S.: I will buy that W&tX-Men Omni if you dont like it ;)

Last edited:

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
Well okay, bye Wolverine?(I actually kinda like this part.)

Hi Maurauders... Bye Maurauders

And Chamber is dead...

This issue is off to a really bad start.

Oh, hey Mr. Sinister... bye Mr. Sinister????

Wow, that's wow... That's really fucking shitty resolution to Dead Souls. That is the worst

Oh hey Emma

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017

And Chamber is dead...

Wow, that's wow... That's really fucking shitty resolution to Dead Souls. That is the worst

Oh hey Emma
WTF, he killed Chamber off!

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
60135878_3100489426631602_2198004046927757312_o.jpg

It may be standard size trash, but its still a damn good cover.

Now where is the Oversized edition???

luca

Oct 25, 2017
I'm thinking of checking out the 2019-run of Chip Zdarsky's Daredevil. Seems like it's getting talked about. I don't know anything about the writer though.

Maybe Uncanny X-Men too, to prepare me a little for the franchise before Jonathan Hickman takes over and reboots it all.

Last edited:

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US

And Chamber is dead...

Oh hey Emma
What's the resolution?

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
What's the resolution?
Xian leaves because of all the evil things she did in Dead Souls.

On its own, makes sense. When you consider the preceding issues and the gap of time, it'S REALLY UNSATISFYING.

It's like that run just rematerialized in Rosenberg's mind and he went "Oh yeah, I need to wrap that plot point up."

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
THE FACT THAT ALL THOSE PEOPLE DIED AND KARMA JUST GETS TO BE "DUECHES I'M OUTIE!" tHAT DON'T SIT RIGHT WITH ME

Oct 25, 2017
I'm thinking of checking out the 2019-run of Chip Zdarsky's Daredevil. Seems like it's getting talked about. I don't know anything about the writer though.

Maybe Uncanny X-Men too, to prepare me a little for the franchise before Jonathan Hickman takes over and reboots it all.

As one of the biggest Zdarsky stans on here, he's one of Marvel's very best writers at the moment. His run on Spectacular Spider-Man was one of my favorites of the last couple years, Sex Criminals with Matt Fraction is a delight, his Star-Lord mini is pretty underrated, Howard The Duck was a blast of a book, Marvel Two-in-One should've got him named the F4 writer. Right now he's writing Invaders which is interesting and has great art, Daredevil which is shaping up to become Marvel's best ongoing book along with Hulk, and Spider-Man Life Story which is shaping up to be an all time classic Spider-Man story

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017

Dont bother with Uncanny, unless you are really interested tbh.

Zdarsky's Daredevil though is quite good. Good jumping on point too from what ive read so far.

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
I'm making Chamber's death sound a lot more noble than it is. Given context that is implied, he probably deserved it.

lasthope106

Oct 25, 2017
Iowa USA
Making my way through Dark Knights: Metal. HOLY SHIT, I didn't expect this was a Lovecraftian Batman story. I'm not sure I agree with how it reframes the Batman Mythos, but it is a hell of a ride so far.

hipsterpants

Oct 25, 2017
War of Realms #4 finally feels like an event. And by that I mean there's clearly a bunch of tie-ins that bridge the story gap between #3 and #4 so now it feels really disjointed. Literally:

#3 - send out the strike teams
*Strike team stuff all occurs in tie-ins*
#4 - the strike teams accomplished their goal and are coming back

This should've remained a Thor crossover event or something.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
War of Realms #4 finally feels like an event. And by that I mean there's clearly a bunch of tie-ins that bridge the story gap between #3 and #4 so now it feels really disjointed. Literally:

#3 - send out the strike teams
*Strike team stuff all occurs in tie-ins*
#4 - the strike teams accomplished their goal and are coming back

This should've remained a Thor crossover event or something.
oh wow lol. Forgot about how events used to do things like that. Its been alil bit since weve had one like that. I guess Metal did it to an extent.

Speaking of War of the Realms tie ins, have there been any that have really stood out? Kinda interested in the Spider-Man Legion one, and the Punisher Strike Force. Also the Journey into Mystery, just because of the authors.

ShadowSwordmaster

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
oh wow lol. Forgot about how events used to do things like that. Its been alil bit since weve had one like that. I guess Metal did it to an extent.

Speaking of War of the Realms tie ins, have there been any that have really stood out? Kinda interested in the Spider-Man Legion one, and the Punisher Strike Force. Also the Journey into Mystery, just because of the authors.
The ones that the Mcelory family did suppose to be good.

Status
Not open for further replies.