• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Gwen Stacy or Mary Jane?

• Mary Jane

Votes: 65 58.0%
  • Gwen Stacy

Votes: 47 42.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mistouze

Oct 26, 2017
Wasn't expecting my boy Chip to put out two "actually, superheroes kinda suck" book on the same day. Good books, mind you.

Mistouze

Oct 26, 2017
When Chip is involved I'm all like
double-dip-gifsoup.gif

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017
Did Ewing do something crazy in Immortal Hulk 16? They're talking about a spike in the sales on Comics Conspiracy this week?

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
I like the Inhumans, I feel like they have a lot of potential. Imagine space alien GOT
Yeah but remember how fast Marvel dropped them as soon as the Fox deal became a real possibility? Marvel was done believing their own bullshit that the Inhumans could ever replace the X-Men the second that happened.

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
Percy went IN dude. If you ain't a fan of some albeit heavy (and I do mean HEAVY) handed social commentary to the point of even being corny...Granted, it's still a very strong superhero book. Action, art, writing, whole nine yards. But that commentary is hefty and that's just the first page bruh. Wait until Hilary Clinton shows up.

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
Having finished G Willow's Ms Marvel I can safely say that while I have enjoyed this run through and through, the ending left a lot to be desired. The arc with Shocker set up something very special and unique, if not very weird, with the whole "borrowing from across time" thing, but then nothing was done with it except some cute little flashback that was, "hey what probably happened!"

As heartwarming and touching and fun as the last few issues were, to not follow through on that is disappointing. The final issue also felt very shallow. Adorable, but shallow. It made me want more of her run just for her to follow up on all this, but given that she didn't use the three issues she did have, that just makes it a bit disappointing.

Anyways on to Ahmed's run!

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Percy went IN dude. If you ain't a fan of some albeit heavy (and I do mean HEAVY) handed social commentary to the point of even being corny...Granted, it's still a very strong superhero book. Action, art, writing, whole nine yards. But that commentary is hefty and that's just the first page bruh. Wait until Hilary Clinton shows up.
lolwut.
Well it looks good and I am willing to give it a fair share of reading. Chances are I'd enjoy it but If there's something I dislike I'd call it out on it.

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
Man Ahmed's first issue is something. For her dad to tell her to not be a hero is completely reasonable. Especially given that the first villain in the issue is a dude wielding an SMG and a sword. Just straight up actual real (well the sword is nonsense but he's a supervillain called "Deathbringer") weapons, something I don't think has shown up in Ms. Marvel EVER. Plus this issue is visceral.

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
Ahmed's run off to a rocking start. It would be something if they got Kamala confused with Carol, but that won't happen because Kamala needs some good mythos other than, "hey Jersey has weird shit and I'm an Inhuman so that's relevant sometimes!" His run feels real and also brutal. I get that the beasts are jelly, but SHIT Kamala.

Anyways I've read through Magnificent #2

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
I'm gonna be the hot take guy today:

I think I'm just tired of Sad Boy comics but Spider-Man: Life Story didn't do it for me. There are parts of it that are good, but the tragic parts are cranked just a bit too high. I saw the discussion and yo there's no way this becomes a movie and is also a hit.

I'm in this until we finish up but honestly this is just deconstruction of superheroes with new wrapping and a fancy bow. Watchmen but with less tiny blue dick. The 90s and 2000s might change my mind tho. I liked the first two issues.

hipsterpants

Oct 25, 2017
I swear there was some serious meta commentary in Life Story 3 how
Peter not being able to deal with Aunt May's situation was the final straw that destroyed his marriage.

I'm gonna be the hot take guy today:

I think I'm just tired of Sad Boy comics but Spider-Man: Life Story didn't do it for me. There are parts of it that are good, but the tragic parts are cranked just a bit too high. I saw the discussion and yo there's no way this becomes a movie and is also a hit.

I'm in this until we finish up but honestly this is just deconstruction of superheroes with new wrapping and a fancy bow. Watchmen but with less tiny blue dick. The 90s and 2000s might change my mind tho. I liked the first two issues.

I don't think #3 is anymore a deconstruction than #2. We've seen him questioning responsibility in #1, not taking enough responsibility in #2, and now with #3 he's taking too much responsibility. It's been very thematically consistent.

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
Wolverine & The X-Men #2-#3 was quite good fun. Set the tone for the run, and what looks like the major plot lines and character relationships. This Quire kid seems fun.

Bachalo's art is still a bit eh. I didn't realise that this panel was meant to be the coffee pot phasing through that woman's head. (There's a dialogue about it in the next page which made me go back and look).

1xWX7N5.png

Last edited:

Radeo

Banned
Apr 26, 2019
Reading through New X-Men Decimation and damn Emma has no chill button around Carol goddamn

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Where are the damn FCBD issues from DC or BOOM!.

CMX finally added the Bendis New Avengers complete collections. Will get them if they go on sale.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Read the first few issues of Stumptown this morning. Its pretty good actually. Could really see it working as a TV show. Love the PI stuff. Reminds me I really need to read Gotham Central sometime.

Wonder why no one picked up Queen and Country.

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
Read the first few issues of Stumptown this morning. Its pretty good actually. Could really see it working as a TV show. Love the PI stuff. Reminds me I really need to read Gotham Central sometime.

Wonder why no one picked up Queen and Country.

I am hoping it will be picked up sometime but it was already kinda 'inspired' by a TV show - The Sandbaggers. (Rucka says as much in the foreword).

Book One

Oct 25, 2017
I'm going through all of Bendis' New Avengers from disassembled on.

It's interesting to just hit the crossover issues for events along the way. I'm about to hit Secret Invasion I believe. I read these events back then but probably stayed away from most of the tie ins.

I forgot what dicks Tony and Carol were during Civil War. Man I really disliked that event.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
I am hoping it will be picked up sometime but it was already kinda 'inspired' by a TV show - The Sandbaggers. (Rucka says as much in the foreword).
Oh neat. Yea it seems like a no brainer, especially in this day and age. Having a strong female lead for a series like Queen and Country would be really fun. Like Alias, just without all the Rambaldi stuff lol.

Although, I would still prefer a Velvet movie that rivals the crappy Bond movies lately.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
I swear there was some serious meta commentary in Life Story 3 how
Peter not being able to deal with Aunt May's situation was the final straw that destroyed his marriage.

I don't think #3 is anymore a deconstruction than #2. We've seen him questioning responsibility in #1, not taking enough responsibility in #2, and now with #3 he's taking too much responsibility. It's been very thematically consistent.

I mean yeah, I get what's happening. I just don't like what's happening.

Some fans like Sad Sack Parker, but I really think writers should pull back on that a bit. To some extent, Pete should always be having fun. That doesn't mean everything always goes his way, but if everything's endless tragedy and trauma then he's just Matt Murdock with webs.

Status
Not open for further replies.