• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CoolestSpot

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Though the project itself remains sadly unfinished and unpublished, readers of a limited sketchbook that came out a few years back got a glimpse of--and we are not making this up--a re-imagining of the Bible by Rob Liefeld that includes EXTREME MOSES, a spaceship-building Noah, and most awesome of all, David on a hoverboard fighting mecha-tank Goliath.

Bring it back

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
Ms. Marvel spoilers.

Looks like the Kamala/Bruno romance is back on track after getting derailed by Civil War II

Astro Cat

Mar 29, 2019
glad you love it! everyone should check it out.
Welcome to the Team Esther club.
I'm legit upset I slept on the series this long. It's such a feel good book and if Esther was real I'd have a huge crush on her.

Took a quick break from reading it so I could finish up Fatal Attractions. It's basically all the hypocritical asshole parts of Xavier cranked up to 11. There's a part in Excalibur where he mansplains to Kittie that made me want to scream. It was pretty good though if you can get past the very 90's writing. For some reason I remember Colossus' heel turn being built up over multiple issues but in Uncanny 300, Magneto basically says "hey, you should join me" and off he goes. I also thought Wolverine was out of it for months after losing his adamantium and it was one whole issue lol

hipsterpants

Oct 25, 2017
Read Kill Your Boyfriend/Vinamarana.

Really enjoyed Kill Your Boyfriend.

Vinamarana was pretty crazy but I think I liked it. Would have been a lot better with some time to breath though.

Tyrant Rave

Has A Pretty Cool Jacket
Oct 25, 2017
Read Kill Your Boyfriend/Vinamarana.

Really enjoyed Kill Your Boyfriend.

Vinamarana was pretty crazy but I think I liked it. Would have been a lot better with some time to breath though.
Kill Your Boyfriend doesn't get much talk but I really like it! Fun little story.

Vimanarama is something I actually want to reread. I enjoyed it but I didn't quite love it. Birdie was a huge fan of it when he still posted here so maybe I'll enjoy it more on a second read through.

What you going through next? Think the only major Vertigo book I missed from Morrison was Invisibles. I didn't finish The Filth either actually-- I had a very difficult time getting into that one.

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
Damn, Bad Weekend was Good!

9WpjqN2.png

So what's going on with all the weirdly collected issues. They are doing single issues, collecting some of those together (and adding extra material) into OGNs and they'll also release complete volumes later? Is Kill or Be Killed part of that series? What about My Heroes...?

Also finished Cemetery Beach. The first Ellis book I think I haven't really enjoyed. A breezy read and I don't dislike the world building or the whole thing being one long action sequence, but it felt very incomplete and disjointed. We didn't get the clear Ellis voices for any of his characters or a sound overall theme.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Damn, Bad Weekend was Good!

9WpjqN2.png

So what's going on with all the weirdly collected issues. They are doing single issues, collecting some of those together (and adding extra material) into OGNs and they'll also release complete volumes later? Is Kill or Be Killed part of that series? What about My Heroes...?

Also finished Cemetery Beach. The first Ellis book I think I haven't really enjoyed. A breezy read and I don't dislike the world building or the whole thing being one long action sequence, but it felt very incomplete and disjointed. We didn't get the clear Ellis voices for any of his characters or a sound overall theme.
Yeah, My Heroes Have Always Been Junkies is a standalone Criminal story and it did really, really well. I think Bad Weekend was just similarly well received in the Criminal ongoing, and only loosely tied to the main Criminal story, so they decided to go ahead and put it in its own book, too. No word on how they'll be collecting Criminal down the line, or whtehr they'll be doing more of these short hardcovers. Kill or Be Killed is its own thing.

Last edited:

Canucked

Comics Council 2020 & Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
When you have a cold, just get baked and make deliveries in death stranding.
It's like fucking zen.

Foofaraw

Oct 25, 2017
I was finally able to read this week's X-men books. Is X-force the first one that has had any real connective tissue between the DoX titles?

New Mutants is delightful, certainly safe from being removed from the pull list. X-force is, ok? I like the art and don't hate the story. I'm just lukewarm. It and Excalibur are certainly the closest on my chopping block.

arkon

Nov 6, 2017
Went to Thought Bubble again this year after enjoying the experience a lot last year. This time it was in Harrogate, a bit further to travel, so we ended up staying in a hotel nearby as I wanted to do both days this year. Posting this from the hotel actually, will be checking out tomorrow.

The haul:
60qXP9q.jpg

wMAuIH4.jpg

And probably my favourite purchase. A wonderful full figure sketch from Roger Langridge that I asked for:
uxef0GN.jpg

I attended a few less panels this year as there wasn't as much that caught my attention. Also unfortunately no Warren Ellis panels or apperance this year. Still the ones I did attend were good fun involvong Mariko Tamaki, Simon Spurrier, Robbie Thompson, Gerry Duggan, Matt Wilson, Dave Gibbons , Daniel Warren Johnson, but particularly John Allison's one to send off Giant Days. The host passed around a huge card for us in the audience to sign. I'd like to believe that has pride of place on his fireplace or something. He was also lovely to meet in person. I'd been a bit indecisive about what to buy on his table so that when I finally came back to get issue 1 of Steeple, he'd sold out. He drew up a little sketch as a sort of apology and didn't even charge for it. I ended up buying an issue of Mordawwa which seems to be a one-shot that I hadn't heard of before, just because I appreciated the gesture. Very nice chap. To be honest everyone I met was very nice. Not a bad experience in the entire 2 days. The only thing I miss from the Leeds city centre location compared to Harrogate are the food options that were very close by. I'm not sure if I'll go again next year purely because of the damage to the wallet ;_;

Quzar

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Is reading the new hickman xmen stuff worth it for someone who reads comics casually, or do I have to be caught up?

bluexy

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Went to Thought Bubble again this year after enjoying the experience a lot last year. This time it was in Harrogate, a bit further to travel, so we ended up staying in a hotel nearby as I wanted to do both days this year. Posting this from the hotel actually, will be checking out tomorrow.

The haul:
60qXP9q.jpg

wMAuIH4.jpg

And probably my favourite purchase. A wonderful full figure sketch from Roger Langridge that I asked for:
uxef0GN.jpg

I attended a few less panels this year as there wasn't as much that caught my attention. Also unfortunately no Warren Ellis panels or apperance this year. Still the ones I did attend were good fun involvong Mariko Tamaki, Simon Spurrier, Robbie Thompson, Gerry Duggan, Matt Wilson, Dave Gibbons , Daniel Warren Johnson, but particularly John Allison's one to send off Giant Days. The host passed around a huge card for us in the audience to sign. I'd like to believe that has pride of place on his fireplace or something. He was also lovely to meet in person. I'd been a bit indecisive about what to buy on his table so that when I finally came back to get issue 1 of Steeple, he'd sold out. He drew up a little sketch as a sort of apology and didn't even charge for it. I ended up buying an issue of Mordawwa which seems to be a one-shot that I hadn't heard of before, just because I appreciated the gesture. Very nice chap. To be honest everyone I met was very nice. Not a bad experience in the entire 2 days. The only thing I miss from the Leeds city centre location compared to Harrogate are the food options that were very close by. I'm not sure if I'll go again next year purely because of the damage to the wallet ;_;
Oh shit, what a great haul! I see dat Old Man Skywalker and Extremity. Did you get to meet DWJ? Shit, pretty much everything you bought is awesome!
Is reading the new hickman xmen stuff worth it for someone who reads comics casually, or do I have to be caught up?
House of X / Powers of X is definitely a great starting point for new readers. But it's also very rich and moves very fast. Oldtime readers will get more out of it, for sure, but everyone's basically starting at the same place in terms of how crazy the new things that are happening are.

Last edited:

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US

The haul:
60qXP9q.jpg

wMAuIH4.jpg

uxef0GN.jpg

Looks like an awesome haul! I always enjoy your posts. I'm envious of some of those, like Sobek. Please let me know how Minotaar is when you get around to reading it!

Foofaraw

Oct 25, 2017
If you are reading casually, just wait for the Marvel Unlimited or trades. The HoX and PoX are worth reading. The rest of Dawn of X are a bit uneven, and we don't even have the first issue of every book quite yet. Still waiting on Fallen Angels.

hipsterpants

Oct 25, 2017

House and Powers of X were enjoyable, but they're also 100% just a series of set up issues so I'd only read them I'd you're going to jump into the new X-Men era. They're designed to be read without needing any knowledge about the X-Men except that people don't like mutants, lol

Personally I'd recommend either trade-waiting or waiting for Marvel Unlimited, or at least waiting for the general quality of things to be apparent. Like we don't know if Hickman's actual titles are even the most important? He says that Marauders is the big new status quo defining book, but then as of right now the most important event happened in the not very good X-Force #1...

Kill Your Boyfriend doesn't get much talk but I really like it! Fun little story.

Vimanarama is something I actually want to reread. I enjoyed it but I didn't quite love it. Birdie was a huge fan of it when he still posted here so maybe I'll enjoy it more on a second read through.

What you going through next? Think the only major Vertigo book I missed from Morrison was Invisibles. I didn't finish The Filth either actually-- I had a very difficult time getting into that one.

I'm not really sure, the only long-run Morrison books I have left are Doom Patrol and the Invisibles. Not sure if I feel like starting either of those yet so I might just read more of his minis or limited series.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Where the lists at?

They are just nowhere near as good as they used to be and all their top series are ending.
People were acting like Undiscovered Country was going to be their next big thing. Guess preorders were up there with like Walking Dead or Saga. But I don't think it'll be close after that first issue. I could be wrong, but I don't think it will.

They need to start trying to find their next big books. Or beg BKV to hurry back to Saga lol.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Fallen Angels 1!!
X-Men 2

Event Leviathan 6
Batman's Grave 2
Batman and the Outsiders 7
Far Sector 1

Buffy Hellmouth 2

Jesus. I need to find some stuff to cut soon.

Aurica

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
The Batman's Grave #2
Batman and the Outsiders #7 (may wait)
Detective Comics #1015
The Dollhouse Family #1 (as long as I hear it's as good as I think it'll be)
Event Leviathan #6
Far Sector #1

Fallen Angels #1
Guardians of the Galaxy #11
Punisher Soviet #1 (may wait)
X-Men #2

Can't buy everything, and there are a few others, like Collapser and HotMU, where I'll keep waiting till they're done soon.

Whistler

Oct 27, 2017
Detective Comics #1015
Hawkman #18
Tales From the Dark Multiverse: Blackest Night #1

Fallen Angels #1
Punisher: Soviet #1
X-Men #2

Pretty light week for me.

bluexy

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Cutting back this week. Gotta save money to buy gifts. RIP Incredible Squirrel Girl!

Folklords #1 (of 5) - Always into more fantasy comics and Matt Smith is a very talented guy.

Batman's Grave #2 (of 12) - #1 was fucked and I love it. Can't wait to see where this is all going next.
Dollhouse Family #1 (of 6) - Another Hill House joint, this time written by Mike Carey. Sounds Coraline-esque. Probably a whole lot more spooky.
Far Sector #1 (of 12) - I'm a huge Jemisin fan and I already know I'm going to love this book.

Fallen Angels #1 - Last one! Phew.
X-Men #1 - Oh, we're starting another round up. Ok.

As for Image this week, there are a few interesting books -- Family Tree sounds interesting, Sea of Stars was okay, and Trees Three Fates was good -- but I think I'm going to trade/sale wait for them all.

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
DC is pumping out some of the best straight up superhero action comics when it comes to the Big Two. Like overall they may not be the best, but for cape superhero-punch-supervillain comics, DC has some of the best

Batman and the Outsiders
Justice League
Batman/Superman
Young Justice

Tom Taylor's Suicide Squad could really be something.

Aurica

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
tim1138 should bring some of his hype.

N.K. Jemisin, the acclaimed, award-winning author of The Broken Earth and Inheritance science fiction trilogies, makes her comic book debut with bestselling Naomi artist Jamal Campbell as they thrust you into a stunning sci-fi murder mystery on the other side of the universe!
For the past six months, newly chosen Green Lantern Sojourner "Jo" Mullein has been protecting the City Enduring, a massive metropolis of 20 billion people. The city has maintained peace for over 500 years by stripping its citizens of their ability to feel. As a result, violent crime is virtually unheard of, and murder is nonexistent.
But that's all about to change in this new maxiseries that gives a DC Young Animal spin to the legacy of the Green Lanterns!

FarSector01_A.jpg
FarSector01_G.jpg

I have very high expectations.

Detective Comics #1015
Hawkman #18
Tales From the Dark Multiverse: Blackest Night #1

Fallen Angels #1
Punisher: Soviet #1
X-Men #2

Pretty light week for me.
DC is pumping out some of the best straight up superhero action comics when it comes to the Big Two. Like overall they may not be the best, but for cape superhero-punch-supervillain comics, DC has some of the best

Batman and the Outsiders
Justice League
Batman/Superman
Young Justice

Please scroll up and consider Far Sector.

I actually don't care what anyone reads, but I think this will be very good.

R0b1n

Jun 29, 2018
Anyone read Bacchus? How's it?

Batman and the Outsiders
Justice League
Batman/Superman
Young Justice

savage avengers >>>

Tyrant Rave

Has A Pretty Cool Jacket
Oct 25, 2017
Think it's just Far Sector for me this week. But my spending at the con this weekend will more than make up for that lol

I'm not really sure, the only long-run Morrison books I have left are Doom Patrol and the Invisibles. Not sure if I feel like starting either of those yet so I might just read more of his minis or limited series.
Word. I think you'll enjoy Doom Patrol quite a bit. It's my favorite of his for a reason.

May 24, 2019
Spiderman av don't buy no stinky DC.

BATMANS GRAVE #2
BLACK HAMMER JUSTICE LEAGUE #5
DETECTIVE COMICS #1015 (might be dropping Tomasi Det after the Freeze storyline)
DOLLHOUSE FAMILY #1
EVENT LEVIATHAN #6
FAR SECTOR #1
GOTHAM CITY MONSTERS #3
SUPERMAN #17
TALES FROM THE DARK MULTIVERSE BLACKEST NIGHT #1
WONDER WOMAN #82 (maybe. I wanna be all in on Steve Orlando, but if it is just finishing Wilson's story, I might duck out.)
X-MEN #2

Not a fan of the look of Fallen Angels' art from the preview and Excalibur got me to thinking maybe I don't need to be buying all of these X-books.

Last edited:

ElNarez

Oct 28, 2017

Batman and the Outsiders
Justice League
Batman/Superman
Young Justice

Did The Outsiders really pick up? Because I didn't think it was delivering for those first few issues.

e: OH YEAH ALSO LIST

The Batman's Grave #2
Collapser #5
The Dollhouse Family #1
Event Leviathan #6
Far Sector #1
Flash #82
Gotham City Monsters #3
Harley Quinn & Poison Ivy #3
Hawkman #18
Justice League Odyssey #15
Superman #17

Fallen Angels #1
Guardians of the Galaxy #11 - Look I know we had our problems with Cates but he made Cosmic Marvel big and cool and weird and dangerous in that cool way, and that's nice, obviously can't wait for Ewing though
Invaders #11
Punisher: Soviet #1 - Y'ALL WERE ABOUT TO MISS OUT ON NEW ENNIS PUNISHER THE HECK'S WRONG WITH YOU
X-Men #2

Last edited:
OP
OP
Messi

Messi

I am leaving this community!
Oct 25, 2017
Is Amazing Spider-Man a good comic. Because I'm struggling here and I'm fading... But I'm so close to Gleason. But this writing... Without an interest in Spidey history or knowledge tbh...its hard. I also hate 2099...but Gleason.

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

I am leaving this community!
Oct 25, 2017
Did The Outsiders really pick up? Because I didn't think it was delivering for those first few issues.

e: OH YEAH ALSO LIST

The Batman's Grave #2
Collapser #5
The Dollhouse Family #1
Event Leviathan #6
Far Sector #1
Flash #82
Gotham City Monsters #3
Harley Quinn & Poison Ivy #3
Hawkman #18
Justice League Odyssey #15
Superman #17

Fallen Angels #1
Guardians of the Galaxy #11 - Look I know we had our problems with Cates but he made Cosmic Marvel big and cool and weird and dangerous in that cool way, and that's nice, obviously can't wait for Ewing though
Invaders #11
Punisher: Soviet #1 - Y'ALL WERE ABOUT TO MISS OUT ON NEW ENNIS PUNISHER THE HECK'S WRONG WITH YOU
X-Men #2

Nice to see someone else repping Harley and Ivy. That comics legit good. Give them Harley proper.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
Is Amazing Spider-Man a good comic. Because I'm struggling here and I'm fading... But I'm so close to Gleason. But this writing... Without an interest in Spidey history or knowledge tbh...its hard. I also hate 2099...but Gleason.
It's one of my top books, but if you don't like it now you probably aren't going to like it future issues.

arkon

Nov 6, 2017
Oh shit, what a great haul! I see dat Old Man Skywalker and Extremity. Did you get to meet DWJ? Shit, pretty much everything you bought is awesome!

Thanks. Pretty pleased with it. Yeah, I got to meet him. Heard a lot about his work in this thread but never checked it out before. The first panel I went to had him on and I saw his artwork first hand there. Thought to myself I had to buy something from him. Unfortunately he didn't have much on his table. Just Old Man Skywalker which wasn't a set price. Gave him some money for that and found Extremity volume 1 on another table in the hall. Read that all in one sitting Saturday night. I was very impressed. I'll have to check out his other stuff at some point. Went back Sunday to get it signed. I think he even recognized me. Didn't seem to have much traffic at his table unfortunately. Will definitely get a sketch from him if he comes back next year. My problem is deciding what to give them to sketch. I agonized over a few choices before settling on Inspector Gadget for Langridge. Anyway to get back to the point DWJ was very nice and I was incredibly jealous of his skills. He put together a very quick sketch of Thea with his signature .

Looks like an awesome haul! I always enjoy your posts. I'm envious of some of those, like Sobek. Please let me know how Minotaar is when you get around to reading it!

Thanks. I'm looking forward to reading them. Will post some thoughts when I get to them.

Last edited:

Whistler

Oct 27, 2017

Look, to me, a lapsed Spider-fan, this is what I want in the book. A lot of it is establishing a new status quo for Pete, moving it away from Slott's tenure (which is what I really want). But if you're not feeling it and you hate 2099, I think you should bail.

bluexy

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks. Pretty pleased with it. Yeah, I got to meet him. Heard a lot about his work in this thread but never checked it out before. The first panel I went to had him on and I saw his artwork first hand there. Thought to myself I had to buy something from him. Unfortunately he didn't have much on his table. Just Old Man Skywalker which wasn't a set price. Gave him some money for that and found Extremity volume 1 on another table in the hall. Read that all in one sitting Saturday night. I was very impressed. I'll have to check out his other stuff at some point. Went back Sunday to get it signed. I think he even recognized me. Didn't seem to have much traffic at his table unfortunately. Will definitely get a sketch from him if he comes back next year. My problem is deciding what to give them to sketch. I agonized over a few choices before settling on Inspector Gadget for Langridge. Anyway to get back to the point DWJ was very nice and I was incredibly jealous of his skills. He put together a very quick sketch of Thea with his signature .
very, very cool. i keep hearing that he's the nicest guy. it's a huge shame that The Ghost Fleet, Extremity, and Murder Falcon didn't do extremely well. i'd have loved if he was able to do oversized hardcovers for them, but the tpbs will have to do. and marvel only ever gave him comics sent out to die. BUT. it all led to what i'm sure a lot of folk here are hoping will be his big hit with wonder woman dead earth.

and yeah, as Messi will tell you, go with your heart on what art you want to commission. your gadget looks great!

Status
Not open for further replies.