• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hipsterpants

Oct 25, 2017
That list seems more about impact than quality

Like 90% of Miles comments are about how the movie did better, or how Ahmed is better

Does anyone actually care about Coates' BP anymore?

Though honestly I just skimmed the list

tim1138

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone actually care about Coates' BP anymore?

I do. I really liked the slow, deliberate pacing of the space arc. The how's and why's of what was going on was fairly predictable, but I enjoyed the journey to get there. It'll be interesting to see how much longer Coates can use Manifold and Storm with the Dawn of X/Krakoa stuff going on.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The first dozen issues of Coates BP were shaky, but ambitious. I enjoyed them. Second dozen, same deal, though at that point the shakiness started to grate a bit. And I was enjoying Black Panther in space! I was like, "yeah I can read 12 issues of this." But then it was solicited past that, and I said, nah, I can wait for the trade..

Now they've solicited up to 20 and I assume it's gonna hit 24 at least. That's way more than the story needed.

tim1138

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The first dozen issues of Coates BP were shaky, but ambitious. I enjoyed them. Second dozen, same deal, though at that point the shakiness started to grate a bit. And I was enjoying Black Panther in space! I was like, "yeah I can read 12 issues of this." But then it was solicited past that, and I said, nah, I can wait for the trade..

Now they've solicited up to 20 and I assume it's gonna hit 24 at least. That's way more than the story needed.

He's been back on Earth for three or four issues now. They're still dealing with the fallout of everything related to the Empire, but T'Challa has his memories back and is in Wakanda.

May 24, 2019
I understand all of it's jargon a lot better than the friggen Still Force and all that.

E: Watching Eighth Grade and this movie is anxiety inducing. Wish I saw it in theaters so I wouldn't be able to pause it so much.

Last edited:

Tyrant Rave

Has A Pretty Cool Jacket
Oct 25, 2017
I only skimmed the list, but I am glad to see that Hawkeye, the most important superhero comic of the decade, was on it.

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
Finished The New World and rather enjoyed it! Though I would have liked a little more detail about what happened (historically, in the comic) but maybe that wasn't necessary. It was just a short, beautifully drawn Romeo & Juliet adaptation with some vague allusions to the current day political scenario and maybe we aren't supposed to look/read it more deeply than that...

Worth a read just for the art.

feBbtKZ.png

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
Rereading Matt Fraction Invincible Iron Man

I remember liking the art in this book when I got into comics as a teenager

Maaaaaaaan

Salvador Larocca and his faces

Maria Hill especially looks weird

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

I am leaving this community!
Oct 25, 2017
Finished The New World and rather enjoyed it! Though I would have liked a little more detail about what happened (historically, in the comic) but maybe that wasn't necessary. It was just a short, beautifully drawn Romeo & Juliet adaptation with some vague allusions to the current day political scenario and maybe we aren't supposed to look/read it more deeply than that...

feBbtKZ.png

Tradd Moore is a legit superstar

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017

feBbtKZ.png
ah! i had just asked about the new world the other day. have you read the legacy of luthor strode by chance? able to compare it in terms of moore's growth?

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
ah! i had just asked about the new world the other day. have you read the legacy of luthor strode by chance? able to compare it in terms of moore's growth?

This is the only Tradd Moore book I've read. Hopefully will get to read more soon.

The comic made me want to track down more of Moore's work but the writing didn't really make me want to read more of Kot's work...

ElNarez

Oct 28, 2017
This is the only Tradd Moore book I've read. Hopefully will get to read more soon.

The comic made me want to track down more of Moore's work but the writing didn't really make me want to read more of Kot's work...

The New World is cool, but if you want the stronger Kot books, you should turn to Generation Gone. If you wanna go back to the world before 2016, you can't go wrong with Change/Material/The Surface, read in publishing order, you'll get why when you do.

Buttzerker

Powerhouse Protector / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit Dr. Doom spoilers

TASKMASTER DEAD-ASS KILLED DR. DOOM GOT-DAMN

That's got to trump 'Crossbones sniping Captain America' as the biggest sniper kill in Marvel, yeah? Which is hilarious since Taskmaster was furious Crossbones used a shot he taught him to kill Cap.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017

That's got to trump 'Crossbones sniping Captain America' as the biggest sniper kill in Marvel, yeah? Which is hilarious since Taskmaster was furious Crossbones used a shot he taught him to kill Cap.
Technically it was crossbones but agent Carter that killed Steve

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
So I ordered Fried Ribs for the first time today. Always assumed they were Chinese style spare ribs or pan fried or something. Turns out they are something completely different...

The New World is cool, but if you want the stronger Kot books, you should turn to Generation Gone. If you wanna go back to the world before 2016, you can't go wrong with Change/Material/The Surface, read in publishing order, you'll get why when you do.

By before 2016, do you mean all of those are connected to The New World and also give some back story for that? Or just that those are his better works.

May 24, 2019

Is this in Doom's new miniseries? I'm guessing he's not so dead like two issues in.

ElNarez

Oct 28, 2017
By before 2016, do you mean all of those are connected to The New World and also give some back story for that? Or just that those are his better works.

I mean there's a definite shift in the tone of his books before and after 2016, on one side you have uncompromising but ultimately optimistic books where things are fucked up but there's some kind of way out, on the other you have Days of Hate, which is as austere, bleak, and hopeless as it gets.

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
I mean there's a definite shift in the tone of his books before and after 2016, on one side you have uncompromising but ultimately optimistic books where things are fucked up but there's some kind of way out, on the other you have Days of Hate, which is as austere, bleak, and hopeless as it gets.

Gotcha. Will give some of those a shot when I can, thanks for naming the ones worth checking out.

Astro Cat

Mar 29, 2019
I just finished Giant Days Vol.1. This book is everything I love. It's like a female Scott Pilgrim and there's multiple scenes that had me laughing. I'm so glad I decided to start it. Esther is the best girl.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I just finished Giant Days Vol.1. This book is everything I love. It's like a female Scott Pilgrim and there's multiple scenes that had me laughing. I'm so glad I decided to start it. Esther is the best girl.
glad you love it! everyone should check it out.

hipsterpants

Oct 25, 2017
Also finished Animal Man tonight. Going to be honest I'm not that big of a fan. I generally enjoy meta-stuff in comics, but when that becomes the entire plot I didn't find it that enthralling. When it was getting teased in the middle it was pretty interesting, but once the time-travel happened I was pretty meh on the whole thing. My least favorite Morrison work that I've read so far.

The last issue was pretty amusing, but tbh the entire thing went a bit too far.

CoolestSpot

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Today I realized the Bible is like a comic rerelease trying to work a few random issues from different authors runs into one coherent paperback

Status
Not open for further replies.