• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hipsterpants

Oct 25, 2017
So I just finished Multiple Man and
yikes I hope some comic book shenanigans give this Madrox the old Madrox's memories or something. Like you're really bringing him back only to reset him before X-Factor which is literally the entire reason anyone likes him and 95% of his character development. At least he's going to find out he has a wife and kid lol

hipsterpants

Oct 25, 2017
Heroes in Crisis feels like a book that is destined to have some kind of dumb twist that it'll act like is totally shocking, but everyone reading it will be like "wow, that was dumb". It doesn't help that the twist will probably be spoiled early and plastered everywhere, assuming the BC rumors aren't correct.
I think the rumor was that Wally is the killer? Probably controlled by some evil force or something, which will be the shocking twist along with him being alive. Unless DC just really hates him lol

Also yoooooooo Extermination. I honestly have no idea how this is supposed to wrap up.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Heroes in Crisis feels like a book that is destined to have some kind of dumb twist that it'll act like is totally shocking, but everyone reading it will be like "wow, that was dumb". It doesn't help that the twist will probably be spoiled early and plastered everywhere, assuming the BC rumors aren't correct.
I think the rumor was that Wally is the killer? Probably controlled by some evil force or something, which will be the shocking twist along with him being alive. Unless DC just really hates him lol

Also yoooooooo Extermination. I honestly have no idea how this is supposed to wrap up.

The twist is going to be: They were all in the Matrix!

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
What are the average Avatar dimensions?

Man Extermination is sooo good! But like Hipster said, I have no idea how this all wraps up lol. The wait for the last issue is going to suck, especially since UXM is now going to be on like issue 6 by the time it comes out.

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
Might as well, it's free...

ohhjg2Q.png

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Finished Rucka's WW run(up to the Crisis tie-ins to not spoil) and it was pretty good. The gods were maybe a bit too absurd in their handling. I mean Zeus was maybe too much of an idiot/mark for me to buy, but it was a fun read I flew through.

Kind of wish the Medusa fight went on a bit longer to really test her lack of vision/wits. She blinded herself and took one axe swing in the next panel and it was over. Made me wonder why she went to the trouble of poisoning her eyes at all?

Also the book got interesting with the JL unconvinced of her ability to help out on future missions while blind...but Rucka cured her like three issues later. It was a nice bookend, but there was real story potential lost.

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
Having a giant delay between issues 2 and 3 of Fantastic Four was really dumb on Marvel's part.

Oct 25, 2017
Trying to check out the new crop of Vertigo stuff, get a good feel for the line so I read Border Town #1 & Hex Wives #1.

Border Town was awesome. Really funny and smart script & Villalobos artwork is great. His lumpy expressive Quitely-esque style works perfect for the mood of the characters and the vibe of the run down shit out of luck town the lead finds himself stuck in as his new home, and his monsters kick ass. Bonvillain's colours seal the deal. I can't really say much more than I loved it.

Hex Wives is a bit of a slow start, a lot of set up and it really just makes good on the blurb that appears in the listing for the book but it does have potential. Blacker makes some specific choices for the purgatory his coven of witches find themselves in despite the time period being modern/right now that makes me think he's thinking carefully about the social issues he wants to tackle. Mostly it's promise for now though. Andolfo's art was pretty good all around, particularly for the modern day part where the book will presumably be living in general.

CoolestSpot

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
DC Metal makes me laugh so damn hard everytime I remember it's 30+ comic writers doing what they think is "Metal", and tying in Nth metal as an excuse for the title.

This isn't a diss. I genuinely love it.

CoolestSpot

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Rearranged my setup in a way I'm much happier with. Now have SO much more room for omnis and deluxe editions (and even trades). Basically moved all of my over-oversized books to the top area that was kind of wasted/extra space, and took out the Image and Valiant mishmash of deluxe editions I have (those will go to a secondary bookshelf).

Over the next few months, I'll be adding WW by Perez Omni Vol 3, Red Hood and the Outlaws Omni Vol 1, Aquaman by Johns Omni, Super Sons Omni, Fantastic Four by Waid Omni, Silver Surfer by Slott Omni, and whatever Rebirth deluxe editions come out (besides JL Vol 3). So it feels good to have the space for them now.

For comparison, the shelf was completely full before I rearranged it.

30703492907_b2abdef9e5_h.jpg

(Note: the two empty spaces in the top middle shelf are for Batman by Loeb and Sale Omni and Death and Return of Superman Omni, both of which I'm currently reading.)

Full-size image link for anyone who wants to see the books up closer: https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1927/30703492907_a42bee49e5_o.jpg

holy hell that's a beautiful shelf. That's my dream.

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
I'm all caught up on the MHA anime

What's left in life anymore? Also I'm not sure where the "Mirio is better at phasing than Kitty Pryde" opinion came from. Like, he does nothing that's special aside from having the personality he has.

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

I am leaving this community!
Oct 25, 2017
I'm all caught up on the MHA anime

What's left in life anymore? Also I'm not sure where the "Mirio is better at phasing than Kitty Pryde" opinion came from. Like, he does nothing that's special aside from having the personality he has.

Read the mangos and keep going to learn more about Miro

tim1138

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Trying to check out the new crop of Vertigo stuff, get a good feel for the line so I read Border Town #1 & Hex Wives #1.

Hex Wives is a bit of a slow start, a lot of set up and it really just makes good on the blurb that appears in the listing for the book but it does have potential. Blacker makes some specific choices for the purgatory his coven of witches find themselves in despite the time period being modern/right now that makes me think he's thinking carefully about the social issues he wants to tackle. Mostly it's promise for now though. Andolfo's art was pretty good all around, particularly for the modern day part where the book will presumably be living in general.

Just wanna echo that Hex Wives was very good. Despite being mostly set up for where the series is going to go, the story moves at a pace and never feels like a text dump to clue the reader in on what the score is. Another strong debut issue from this new Vertigo.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
Womankind is her girlfriend

I know she does in earth one but had she ever had an on screen girlfriend

It's like how Constantine is bi because of a throwaway line but you never seen him hook up with a dude until Tynion (i think it was him who was on the ming doyle book) gave him one

Wait. Didn't he have lovers of all kinds in the Vertigo books? I feel like I read that somewhere.

I watch the Netflix and CW shows.

Let's not throw "crap" around like everyone's not in the same sty.

I've wanted to do this for awhile, so since the thread's already on that discussion:

1.) Daredevil
2.) Black Lightning
3.) Luke Cage
===========
4.) Jessica Jones
===========
5.) Flash
6.) Arrow
7.) Titans
8.) Supergirl
===========
9.) Iron Fist

The first three are legitimately good. The rest have their moments but are too inconsistent to be called "quality" IMO. Jessica Jones is in a weird tier by itself because it's first season was great but its second was middling. Iron Fist is on its own because it was garbage, at least the first season. I haven't seen enough of Punisher to give it a ranking. I watched Legends and didn't hate myself so that show might have actually improved. If it keeps the quality I saw in the first episode of the new season I'd go ahead and put it in the top tier, shockingly enough. I haven't seen Runaways or Cloak and Dagger yet.

Titans is still weird, it might grow on me a bit more. It's certainly no worse than Flash or Arrow, and better than Supergirl. Supergirl only narrowly dodges being down with Iron Fist because it's clear the showrunners are aware they're writing a comic book show and lean into it. Scott Buck wanted to write something else.

The Gifted, Agents of Shield, and Gotham can get bent. I'm sorry I tried, but honestly the novelty in stuff like that is them existing in tandem with the big characters they exist in the peripheral of. Batman's got sixty comics so GCPD is interesting because it's a novelty. The Superheroes are everywhere so seeing what SHIELD gets up to is a curiosity worth satisfying. But when Batman's nowhere to be found on the small or big screen and the Agent Coulson has more screen time than Tony Stark it's all out of wack.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
Wait. Didn't he have lovers of all kinds in the Vertigo books? I feel like I read that somewhere.
I heard differently so I went back to check because I was probably wrong

And no he did have a couple romances before new 52 Azzerello was the first to give him back in 2001 for a bit but otherwise it's mostly talk and Shade kissed him in Peter Milligan which I forgot

Tynion apparently was the most "comfortable"

Again this is me googling a bit but he did but only a few on screen

Oct 25, 2017
And a new Barnaby Bagenda (Omega Men, Green Lantern/Planet of the Apes) drawn book as well

Hell yea, that looks great, Safe Sex looks great too. Really the only one I'm not feeling or planning on at least checking out is the Mark Russell book. I know he's a great writer and all but I just wasn't feeling the premise, or the art really.

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
Read the mangos and keep going to learn more about Miro
Ugh, reading?

I've wanted to do this for awhile, so since the thread's already on that discussion:

1.) Daredevil
2.) Black Lightning
3.) Luke Cage
===========
4.) Jessica Jones
===========
5.) Flash
6.) Arrow
7.) Titans
8.) Supergirl
===========
9.) Iron Fist

The first three are legitimately good. The rest have their moments but are too inconsistent to be called "quality" IMO. Jessica Jones is in a weird tier by itself because it's first season was great but its second was middling. Iron Fist is on its own because it was garbage, at least the first season. I haven't seen enough of Punisher to give it a ranking. I watched Legends and didn't hate myself so that show might have actually improved. If it keeps the quality I saw in the first episode of the new season I'd go ahead and put it in the top tier, shockingly enough. I haven't seen Runaways or Cloak and Dagger yet.

Titans is still weird, it might grow on me a bit more. It's certainly no worse than Flash or Arrow, and better than Supergirl. Supergirl only narrowly dodges being down with Iron Fist because it's clear the showrunners are aware they're writing a comic book show and lean into it. Scott Buck wanted to write something else.

The Gifted, Agents of Shield, and Gotham can get bent. I'm sorry I tried, but honestly the novelty in stuff like that is them existing in tandem with the big characters they exist in the peripheral of. Batman's got sixty comics so GCPD is interesting because it's a novelty. The Superheroes are everywhere so seeing what SHIELD gets up to is a curiosity worth satisfying. But when Batman's nowhere to be found on the small or big screen and the Agent Coulson has more screen time than Tony Stark it's all out of wack.
Two big points:

-LC is not a legitimately good show. It is a legitimately mediocre show with select few character performances that, along with establishing it's own completely unique tone, manage to make it stand out. It's thematically strong with a weak execution that holds it back. Extremely weak execution.

-Saying that AoS, Gotham, and The Gifted are bad because the novelty doesn't hold up isn't really much of an assessment. The premise is delivered upon regardless. I didn't care for the latter two, but the first is legit good superhero television.

Last edited:

Canucked

Comics Council 2020 & Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Happy halloween!

Anyone know if the Wytches halloween special can be read standalone? I haven't started that series yet.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Theory regarding that last scene in today's Extermination #4

Seriously, dont read unless you have read Extermination #4, or just dont care lol.

In the final scene of Extermination #4, Young Cyclops was killed by Ahab. Right before that though, Cyclops was last seen in the medical bed with Mimic standing over him.

Theory is: That was Mimic who was killed while taking the form of Cyc.

Deleted member 38227

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 12, 2018
Thx for the Hex Wives recs; I might have to go back and pick up a copy. I'm trying to really limit my floppies, but that one seemed really good.

Heroes in Crisis #2: Yeah, it's dark, but I quite like it. I still cannot believe they killed
Wally and Ivy.
(No idea if I had to spoiler that stuff, but better to be safe.) The Daily Bugle setup at the end is an interesting wrinkle...
It will be interesting if the Wonder Woman, Batman, and Superman videos get leaked. And you know there are videos as Batman lied about the kryptonite, so he was definitely lying about them.

Last edited:

Porl

Nov 6, 2017
Holy shit Drowned Earth, just this issue felt like half an event in itself

Amazing stuff

hipsterpants

Oct 25, 2017
I have literally read nothing with the O5 outside of Extermination, but my guess is that

aside from young Cable the end result will be that young Cyclops has been irreversibly changed by the present. So despite their best efforts some timeline fuckery will occur when they get sent back. Presumably this will tie in to however they end up bringing Cyclops back.

Status
Not open for further replies.