• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 24, 2019
The second. He's a pretty dynamic artist, but seems to phone in covers now (see also his covers for the weekly UXM.)
Most of that crew there are doing the same wide leg, straight-on stance.

Someone superimpose Rachel, Cyclops, Corsair, Havok and the guy in the back over each other.

Last edited:

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
His interiors on that first Cap arc were freaking amazing. I was pissed that he left, but hey I didnt know he was going to be on X-Men.

hipsterpants

Oct 25, 2017
Finished Avengers: No Surrender and it was great. Some really great moments, even if that Quicksilver bit was some straight up Flash stuff lol. Definitely had a classic feel to it that I really dug as someone who's only read Hickman's run and part of Aaron's. I can't say that I felt Lightning was a super cool character by the end, but I'll always love writers picking up underused minor characters and really making them shine. And I know they had reasons, but Avengers leader Roberto was great and it sucks that he got kicked off for X-Men stuff. Kinda wish we got more of a vibe like this for the main Avengers book than what we're getting from Aaron (which I've dropped). Excited to start No Road Home tomorrow.

I already miss the USAvengers squad.

Further confirmation that Ewingvengers would be a 10/10.

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
Okay the Zeo crystal planet revelation is some shit tho
Finished Avengers: No Surrender and it was great. Some really great moments, even if that Quicksilver bit was some straight up Flash stuff lol. Definitely had a classic feel to it that I really dug as someone who's only read Hickman's run and part of Aaron's. I can't say that I felt Lightning was a super cool character by the end, but I'll always love writers picking up underused minor characters and really making them shine. And I know they had reasons, but Avengers leader Roberto was great and it sucks that he got kicked off for X-Men stuff. Kinda wish we got more of a vibe like this for the main Avengers book than what we're getting from Aaron (which I've dropped). Excited to start No Road Home tomorrow.

Your going through Ewing's work and love for it makes me so happy you have no goddamned idea

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017

You should read Busiek's Avengers run sometime. Especially the 12 issue limited series Avengers Forever. Forever has a very similar feel to No Surrender.

And I would also love to see Ewing on the main Avengers book. Just as long as it doesnt get cancelled after 12 issues lol.

hipsterpants

Oct 25, 2017
man I was looking at some old Spidey stuff due to the flashbacks in #31 and I forgot that Harry took up drugs in order to forget MJ lmao

N5Fiw18.png

I think I'm on team #notaredherring for now. But we've probably got another 19 issues for the big reveal so we'll see.

Okay the Zeo crystal planet revelation is some shit tho

Your going through Ewing's work and love for it makes me so happy you have no goddamned idea

Yeah I read some New Avengers and liked it, and enjoyed Immortal Hulk but not as much as everyone else. Oh and Defenders was dope. His Eternity Mask stuff got me interested again and the CMX sale for his stuff made it easy.

You should read Busiek's Avengers run sometime. Especially the 12 issue limited series Avengers Forever. Forever has a very similar feel to No Surrender.

And I would also love to see Ewing on the main Avengers book. Just as long as it doesnt get cancelled after 12 issues lol.
Yeah that shot up my list alongside his Thunderbolts. Don't know when I'll get to it though.

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
cape conics that are basically just the battle shonen of America probably should be though.

Its insane how poor most cape comics are at fights, when everything is a fight in them.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
So Yu jumped from Cap to X Men and Kubert jumped from Cap to Wolvie.

Man, Marvel does this a lot.

luca

Oct 25, 2017

"murder is his art"

😬

Speaking of which, was this issue any good?

And now that HoX/PoX is done I think I'm diving full in on Zdarsky's Daredevil. But it's all I can do since I've had my hands full on Dune novels all year.

I'm done with Greg Pak's stuff for now, it just wasn't all that. If I hear anything good about Wave I'll check it out.

R0b1n

Jun 29, 2018
cape conics that are basically just the battle shonen of America probably should be though.
Nah. I don't want them dedicating too much page space to fight scenes like shonen. I personally don't look for fights or standard action in comics tbh. Which is probably why I was not enamoured with Ellis Moon Knight and greatly preferred lemiere's.

Most current cape comics also feel different from standard battle shonen where there is more focus on the characters and plot outside of fighting/tournaments. Or the character moments within the "fight" take up far more focus than the action of fighting. Like hell, was there even a large fight in recent Batman? Or HoX/PoX? Then again the only shonen I follow is the promised Neverland these days and that isn't battle shonen at all, so maybe some things have changed since the Naruto days

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
Okay, now the Zeo crystal planet plot point bugs me because damn near everyone in the group knows what they are EXCEPT Ari just so we can avoid exposition because who's reading this book except MMPR fans. Right? So obviously you already know what the Zeo crystal was and that Tanya's morpher is powered by it, which is the only expisition we get aside from everyone going "ZEO CRYSTAL PLANET?! OH NO!" Hekyll, I can maybe understand because he spent a good chunk of 65 million (yeah the book doesn't say that, but if you watched Dino Charge then you know that's the time frame) years doing nothing but studying universal space magic because Keepers and Zenowing are space wizards, but even then he just says he gets the feeling it makes the Dark Energem look like a trinket, referring to the situation and not necessarily the planet.

Like how do Mike and Cam know? Andros has spending a good chunk of his life searching for Karone and has had some connections with Zordon as his special space agent on the side, so him learning about the Zeo crystals is a possibility, but again how do Mike and Cam know? That bugs the fuck out of me

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
Okay, now the Zeo crystal planet plot point bugs me because damn near everyone in the group knows what they are EXCEPT Ari just so we can avoid exposition because who's reading this book except MMPR fans. Right? So obviously you already know what the Zeo crystal was and that Tanya's morpher is powered by it, which is the only expisition we get aside from everyone going "ZEO CRYSTAL PLANET?! OH NO!" Hekyll, I can maybe understand because he spent a good chunk of 65 million (yeah the book doesn't say that, but if you watched Dino Charge then you know that's the time frame) years doing nothing but studying universal space magic because Keepers and Zenowing are space wizards, but even then he just says he gets the feeling it makes the Dark Energem look like a trinket, referring to the situation and not necessarily the planet.

Like how do Mike and Cam know? Andros has spending a good chunk of his life searching for Karone and has had some connections with Zordon as his special space agent on the side, so him learning about the Zeo crystals is a possibility, but again how do Mike and Cam know? That bugs the fuck out of me

The Zeo Crystal has more power than literally any other power the Rangers have tapped into, purely because it's constantly growing. Andros would have absolutely heard of it. As for everyone else, they just went to war against something demanding they all work together. You think they didn't learn about one another's power?

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
The Zeo Crystal has more power than literally any other power the Rangers have tapped into, purely because it's constantly growing. Andros would have absolutely heard of it. As for everyone else, they just went to war against something demanding they all work together. You think they didn't learn about one another's power?
Oh I guess. That's a pretty obvious point. I didn't really think of it just because they were thrown into it, so like when would they have really taken the time, you know? But now they're on the ship and so many of them don't have their powers anymore that I figured they just took each other having powers for granted. "Oh you can morph? Cool. So can I. That's cool. How many we got?" Like a "How many able bodies? Can you move and shoot on your own? Yes? Good I don't care how." That kind of thing.

The other part is that I remember it (been awhile sincw I watched Zeo, but the Praetor's backstory confirms it kinda), Zordon made the Zeo crystal out to be a one of a kind secret magical power source, so correct me on that if I'm wrong. The idea of other people that aren't tied tight to Zordon or well-studied in such subjects hearing/knowing about Zeo crystals is kinda "whaaaaa?" to me.

But yeah, Andros I buy.

Anyways, Simone di Meo's art is totes great right? But I canNOT follow some of these action sequences worth a goddamn. Can I not read comics?

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
So Beyond the Grid was fun, but disappointing at the same time. It played with some cool ideas (In Space Andros with Galaxy Karone) but didn't necessarily capitalize on them with the characters. Some other characterizations that didn't make sense (TJ being resentful at not having powers) and just some other things that, while nice ideas, just are kind of there. Like Cam. He's just kind of there. I never watched Ninja Storm, so I can't attest to his characterization here, but it seems super boring and they don't do anything with the Praetor's shots that he takes at Cam at all. You could remove Cam from the story entirely and all you'd be missing is one green Ranger.

And some opportunities, like a depowered Riley meeting Dino Ranger Hekyll would've been super interesting , too,

Last edited:

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
Nah. I don't want them dedicating too much page space to fight scenes like shonen. I personally don't look for fights or standard action in comics tbh. Which is probably why I was not enamoured with Ellis Moon Knight and greatly preferred lemiere's.

Most current cape comics also feel different from standard battle shonen where there is more focus on the characters and plot outside of fighting/tournaments. Or the character moments within the "fight" take up far more focus than the action of fighting. Like hell, was there even a large fight in recent Batman? Or HoX/PoX? Then again the only shonen I follow is the promised Neverland these days and that isn't battle shonen at all, so maybe some things have changed since the Naruto days
See, I don't buy into this logic. I'm not asking for every series to have great action, but fkr a subgenre that basically demands it from most of its books... it's really bad at it.

Most shonen don't have a fight every chapter, but you'd be hard pressed to come across your average cape that doesn't have one pointless scuffle for essentially meeting a quota.

I'm saying if you're going to throw in a fight every fifteen seconds. At least make it look good.

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
I don't take time out of my day to talk about shit y'all bitch about. So how bout y'all keep that same energy and fuck off with it.

I was tired of that shit last month and I aint no more receptive of it this one.

Like I wasn't even complaining and y'all on this FUCK SHIT again.

Last edited:

R0b1n

Jun 29, 2018
All I require from a fight scene is being able to tell who is punching who and the panels make sense when in sequence. Other than that whatever, my eyes are following the dialogue boxes anyway and skip past it way too fast. Back when I was reading battle shonen I did that too, guess I just can't appreciate fights in non-moving media.

Now finally, on to read the rest of yesterday's comics

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
All I require from a fight scene is being able to tell who is punching who and the panels make sense when in sequence. Other than that whatever, my eyes are following the dialogue boxes anyway and skip past it way too fast. Back when I was reading battle shonen I did that too, guess I just can't appreciate fights in non-moving media.

Now finally, on to read the rest of yesterday's comics
See that's fine. Fights aren't your drawing point of interest. And that's cool. I'm not saying every cape comic should have dragon ball tier paneling a sizable amount of them aren't even fight focused, but if you're gonna throw a fight into everything. At least attempt to convey the action necessary.

R0b1n

Jun 29, 2018
See that's fine. Fights aren't your drawing point of interest. And that's cool. I'm not saying every cape comic should have dragon ball tier paneling a sizable amount of them aren't even fight focused, but if you're gonna throw a fight into everything. At least attempt to convey the action necessary.
That is true, but I think in most of what I am reading, the action conveyed is enough
Like something such as this is alright to me
058hke1.jpg

Maybe I'm just happy to see the Shade appear again

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
Started reading Tamaki's Breaking Glass and I kinda like it? Which is surprising because I am not generally into Tamaki's works or Harley comics.

I don't take time out of my day to talk about shit y'all bitch about. So how bout y'all keep that same energy and fuck off with it.

I was tired of that shit last month and I aint no more receptive of it this one.

Like I wasn't even complaining and y'all on this FUCK SHIT again.

fwiw, I am on your side. It is our constitutional (and human) right to complain about what we want to.

And I also agree with your opinion that fights in many cape comics are rather shit.

Porl

Nov 6, 2017
Hill said he wanted to study action manga for Batman And The Outsiders, and it definitely shows. Maybe it's not quite there, but it's a genuine attempt, I feel.

Canucked

Comics Council 2020 & Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Accomplished two things when I was able to tear myself away from Fire Emblem.

Read Pox6. It was fine. I was hoping they would talk about moira's sacrificed X-Men Team and what everyone thinks of Galactic Emperor Vulcan but I guess I can wait until X-Men. I still have a little problem with character motivations but I did love that xavier stuck up for Emma when Moira was questioning her involvement. Moira seemed more irritated that Emma was there than anyone (except sinister) I did wonder if in the end Hickman is going to say that the regular marvel universe is actually moira's last eleventh life and everything X-Men is still her tenth.

Also I finally broke down and watched and episode of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure. People kept telling me "it's gay, you'll love it!" I did not love it. It was also not super gay.

NoalleGospell

Dec 3, 2018
Puerto Rico
Accomplished two things when I was able to tear myself away from Fire Emblem.

Read Pox6. It was fine. I was hoping they would talk about moira's sacrificed X-Men Team and what everyone thinks of Galactic Emperor Vulcan but I guess I can wait until X-Men. I still have a little problem with character motivations but I did love that xavier stuck up for Emma when Moira was questioning her involvement. Moira seemed more irritated that Emma was there than anyone (except sinister) I did wonder if in the end Hickman is going to say that the regular marvel universe is actually moira's last eleventh life and everything X-Men is still her tenth.

Also I finally broke down and watched and episode of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure. People kept telling me "it's gay, you'll love it!" I did not love it. It was also not super gay.
I've only watched the first 2 parts and some of the third of JoJo but Phantom Blood(first part of JoJo) is easily most boring part of the show.

Status
Not open for further replies.