• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hipsterpants

Oct 25, 2017
It's so weird that prestige/imprint DC can be so cool and interesting but the mainline stuff is so.... meh. It's like they trashed Johns' plans once he left, then either had no good idea what to do or handed the keys to the kingdom to Snyder/Tynion/Williamson. The latter is fine, but they can only do so much and the Dark Multiverse stuff is already worn out before they've even gotten around to even properly announcing the Crisis. For example, the whole Wally West situation is just absurd and had no reason to happen and literally nobody except ElNarez actually likes what's going on - did the higher ups seriously think that anyone would respond positively to Wally killing people? Harras/Didio/Lee are so fucking lucky they got Bendis who, regardless of writing quality has at least injected some fresh and new ideas and made an effort to bring back more obscure or ignored characters like he's done in Event Leviathan.

It says a lot about current DC that the reaction to a new (presumably good) Batman writer is met with a big meh, if not for concerns of quality but because nobody knows if he'll actually be there full time or leaving with a relaunched #1 next year/2021. Meanwhile Marvel has an ongoing Spider-Man and X-Men renaissance, about to do some amazing cosmic stuff with Ewing, had a Hulk book beat Batman in sales, etc.

Yoshida definitely has problems but there's no doubt that him replacing Alonso was a good thing. DC would do well to get some fresh blood.

something something pendulum

Boxy Brown

Oct 27, 2017
Is it really weird that the prestige/imprint stuff are more interesting than some of the mainline stuff when that's their exact purpose? The mainline is about status quo and other safe things, and and everything else is when you throw caution to the wind.

Are we forgetting that those first few months of Rebirth (which had John's influence) were the ones we were tepid on aside from a handful of books? It was only after that that we got to the real good stuff.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
i was waiting for someone to blame it on heroes in crisis.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
Is it really weird that the prestige/imprint stuff are more interesting than some of the mainline stuff when that's their exact purpose? The mainline is about status quo and other safe things, and and everything else is when you throw caution to the wind.

Are we forgetting that those first few months of Rebirth (which had John's influence) were the ones we were tepid on aside from a handful of books? It was only after that that we got to the real good stuff.
I don't think this is true for the most part. People loved the start of Rebirth.

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
Was this posted?

vlejrrehmsqdfgadns1g.Jpg

w8m8ttrdp8rir2nuoqgy.Jpg

lnxhcvfj14vpiias5e1p.Jpg

rs94indfmfq3hcmotegu.Jpg

ccdsilkdrka89qbtmwyj.Jpg

Yeah, we were discussing it a few days ago. Kitty is likely the Red Queen and last member of Emma's side of the Quiet Council.

Looks like the Iron Man 2020 thing is a mini event
EHLyzdPX0AApxrR
Force Works? What?

Wonder how long that'll last. 2015 was the last time that happened, yes?

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017

Let's see. People liked to varying degrees (assuming we're not just talking about ComicsERA?):
-Detective
-Batman
-Action
-Superman
-Wonder Woman
-Red Hood and the Outlaws
-Aquaman
-Flash
-Nightwing
-Green Arrow
-New Superman
-Green Lanterns
-Hal Jordan and the GLC
-Deathstroke

They weren't hot on:
-Blue Beetle
-Teen Titans
-Titans
-Suicide Squad
-Justice League
-Cyborg
-Trinity

Vordan

Aug 12, 2018
i really do think DC needs to replace Didio or at the very least Harras. They desperately need some new blood at the top. Their creative teams are also pretty tepid right now too.

May 24, 2019
I think it's a bit sad that Snyder didn't get to write any calmer JL stories. It's just been one steady stream of bombast since Metal.
Maybe he just wasn't into doing anything else with it, but for me, there could have been more variety in there.

hipsterpants

Oct 25, 2017
Rebirth had a great vibe and made everyone excited for the future, the kind of stuff that makes books that were average in retrospect seem really great.

Now the vibe is oh god dammit that Batman Who Chuckles Heartily is still a thing.

Boxy Brown

Oct 27, 2017
Of course we were happy with Rebirth as a whole, we just got off the the biggest nostalgia grab of all time that promised what readers wanted. The actual books tho? Only a portion of them where met with unanimous praise with the rest getting a resounding meh from being average to bad. And that's really true for every relaunch, and comics from the big 2 at general at any time. People were still on the high of the Rebirth special that they were willing to overlook that. We're way past Rebirth, not liking the prevailing storyline, and DC itself moving into a structure that's more fragmented than ever has us less forgiving.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
January solicits up for DC

Hah, the Azz BoP book has been reduced to a 96 page one shot
Just seeing the news lol, but wow.

Snyder leaving JL after #39
Yea, we knew he was leaving soonish, but didnt think it was going to be this soon. Damn, I dunno lol. This kinda sucks. Im sure he will be doing something with the JSA at least, but I doubt that will be an ongoing, or he will be on the first arc at most.

I bet he focuses on creator owned stuff for a bit and just works on the larger event stuff for DC. Undiscovered Country sounds like it hits some big numbers already, which is really neat.

EDIT: White Knight getting that Deluxe Edition finally! Maybe I will actually finish it now lol..

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
I think it's a bit sad that Snyder didn't get to write any calmer JL stories. It's just been one steady stream of bombast since Metal.
Maybe he just wasn't into doing anything else with it, but for me, there could have been more variety in there.
Oh I agree. But I think that he just had way too much to do and wanted to get through it. That issue with Lex and Martian Manhunter is still my favorite issue of the run so far. Like, I get that the dude is about to be super busy and all, but man, he was doing some of the best work of his career on Justice League. And it was DC's best book by far imo.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
I didnt know Wolverine was going to be in the Marauders book. Wonder if thats just for an issue or two, since hes not on the cover or said to be on the roster.

I dunno if JL's even in my top 5. DREAMING CREW REPRESENT!
I mean, to each his own of course.

I'm here to announce that I'm dropping Iron Man for 2020 and beyond.
But the shoulder cogs!!!

Last edited:

tim1138

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
DC should hire Arcudi to write Justice League and give him free reign to do whatever he wants on the book.

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
ok so M*U, I know, but I don't want to make a thread or bump a thread so

I just watched this video and it caught one fantastic detail from Endgame that is just great stuff

when Hawkeye comes back from time traveling for the first time Scott has some orange slices ready for him in case Clint's as wiped as he was after being Giant Man in Civil War

fW3LhrP.gif

LH0OamC.png

great stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.