• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
I must say I very much enjoy that this kind of stylized art has become much more prevalent over the past 6 years or so: Gleason, Larraz, Medina, Jimenez, etc. It's a very enjoyable style.
According to this week's MHA kitty pryde is the most op hero
She's in IGN's top 30
I felt like that was more like a "tough phys-ed teacher" saying hey it's not all fun and games, take it seriously
That's fair
What did you think of Jon killing a cat?
A moment I could not reconcile.

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

I am leaving this community!
Oct 25, 2017
They probably didn't close orders soon enough and ended up taking more than they could fill. I've never gone to Play-Asia for figures before. You should stick with the reputable shops.

Ami ami have never let me down and they have pictures of anime ladies inside the box so it's a win win.

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
Sometimes his faces are kinda weird

I have no idea what you are talking about.

1tPklML.png

Porl

Nov 6, 2017
I must say I very much enjoy that this kind of stylized art has become much more prevalent over the past 6 years or so: Gleason, Larraz, Medina, Jimenez, etc. It's a very enjoyable style.
That's the best kind of comic art. But the biggest and bestest change IMO has been in the coloring. There are some AMAZING colorists nowadays that do some amazing things with light, plus those artists who color their own art like Christian Waid or Del Mundo. Idk why but when I think of comics older than like 6 years ago I think of super shiny colors akin to the ones on Booth, Lee or Liefeld.

Meanwhile womp womp here's Matt Wilson and Tamra Bonvillain and Jordie Bellaire and Alejandro Sanchez and David Curiel and Matt Hollingsworth and and and

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

Oct 25, 2017
Scott Williams is Jim Lees inker but he is also an incredible artist. Are inking jobs holding back artists? What if Tamara Bonvillian is an amazing artist but coloring pays the bills.

Another reason that manga wins. No colors to delay things.

tim1138

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
today is truly the best of days, my Kickstarter copy of the new God Hates Astronauts has arrived!
NZPohpi.jpg

What a great line up of artists!
F6JLHEO.jpg

Bii

Oct 25, 2017
They probably didn't close orders soon enough and ended up taking more than they could fill. I've never gone to Play-Asia for figures before. You should stick with the reputable shops.

Yeah, I usually stick with amiami but their preorders were sold out. Once I saw Play-Asia had them up for pre-order, I jumped on right away. Oh well.

I did get this beauty in today. I'm not even a huge Red Sonja fan but this pose/sculpt caught my eye when it was first revealed. It's Sideshow's exclusive version with the war banner cloak. Had the art print for a few months and framed it just in time for the statue's arrival.

uJ4ora7.jpg

aKleq8C.jpg

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
Scott Williams is Jim Lees inker but he is also an incredible artist. Are inking jobs holding back artists? What if Tamara Bonvillian is an amazing artist but coloring pays the bills.

Another reason that manga wins. No colors to delay things.
Reminds me of Klaus Janson. Great artist but spent too much time inking Frank Miller.

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I usually stick with amiami but their preorders were sold out. Once I saw Play-Asia had them up for pre-order, I jumped on right away. Oh well.

I did get this beauty in today. I'm not even a huge Red Sonja fan but this pose/sculpt caught my eye when it was first revealed. It's Sideshow's exclusive version with the war banner cloak. Had the art print for a few months and framed it just in time for the statue's arrival.

uJ4ora7.jpg

aKleq8C.jpg

Jesus that is beautiful

TheDarkKnight

Oct 25, 2017
Fighting a cold today so decided to get back to reading Stern's Spidey run. In PP Spider-Man 51 and they just retconned something from issue 2 of Amazing Spider-Man. It's super minor but pretty interesting they did that.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
That was the tragic moment I mentioned, great way to show he needed some guidance. I did not see it coming and was surprised they made it so graphic. Most memorable part of the story so far. I'm already reading vol. 2 and I loved the issue that's just the family going to the carnival

LqEwwzd.png

Uw19sfR.png
These pages always make me want to read the run but I hear it doesn't stay good for long.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
These pages always make me want to read the run but I hear it doesn't stay good for long.

Tomasi and Gleason's Superman Rebirth has been pitch perfect for the five volumes I've thus far read and is unarguably the best thing to happen to Superman in decades. The only part I didn't like was very early on.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Lots of DC stuff on sale right now.

How was No Man's Land? Seems like it's on a deep discount.

Any other beefy runs worth picking up on sale?

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017

Lies and deceipt if you ask me. Well, I really dug the two OHC volumes. Some arcs more than others, but its all pretty entertaining.

How was No Man's Land? Seems like it's on a deep discount.

I also wish to know this. Eyeing the run myself, and No Man's Land is referenced a lot in the DC stuff I have been reading as of late.

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

Oct 25, 2017
Tomasi and Gleason's Superman Rebirth has been pitch perfect for the five volumes I've thus far read and is unarguably the best thing to happen to Superman in decades. The only part I didn't like was very early on.

for most its the other way around...

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lies and deceipt if you ask me. Well, I really dug the two OHC volumes. Some arcs more than others, but its all pretty entertaining.

I also wish to know this. Eyeing the run myself, and No Man's Land is referenced a lot in the DC stuff I have been reading as of late.

As far as I'm concerned Superman Rebirth was the best comic put out by the Big Two in the last few years, reinvigorated a character that so many had written off despite him being the foundation from which all superheroes come from.

Ending it so Bendis can get his hands on it and immediately start ruining things is a travesty unto itself.

for most its the other way around...

Specifically I didn't like the part where
Jon lasers his cat to death. I get they wanted a Great Responsibility scene but it was needlessly dark for a comic that otherwise avoided that kind of thing.

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017

It was pretty good for the first 3-4 volumes. The 5th volume I read last week was a bit of a letdown but it also looked like a good jumping off point.

Edit: My mistake. I meant 2-3 volumes and me jumping off at the 4th volume.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It was pretty good for the first 3-4 volumes. The 5th volume I read last week was a bit of a letdown but it also looked like a good jumping off point.

Volume 5 was fantastic. I totally buy that Superman would wax patriotic about his adopted country, and it had Superman vs. friggin' Sinestro and wrote Deathstroke well for the first time ever as far as I'm concerned.

Maybe
bundling up a corpse that's been rotting in the water for 200+ years and dropping it outside the family's doorstep
could have used some more time in the oven, though.

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
Volume 5 was fantastic. I totally buy that Superman would wax patriotic about his adopted country, and it had Superman vs. friggin' Sinestro.

Maybe
bundling up a corpse that's been rotting in the water for 200+ years and dropping it outside the family's doorstep
could have used some more time in the oven, though.

Sorry, I meant volume 4 with Manchester Black. I didn't enjoy that volume much and the resolutions it provided to the over-arching mystery in the previous three volumes. The series has had it's moments but it doesn't feel like a cohesive whole compared to even their Batman and Robin run..

TheDarkKnight

Oct 25, 2017
In the b-side of ASM #2, Spidey had to fight/free a bunch of aliens. Turns out they're not really extra-terrestials, but out of work movie extras and stuntmen. One of which happens to be Quintein Beck, Mysterio.

PPTSSM51_Opening.jpg
Yup! JC knows his Spidey lore. Given the fact I've been chipping away at the start of Spidey the last year or so it was funny to see that callback and change in an 80s comic.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sorry, I meant volume 4 with Manchester Black. I didn't enjoy that volume much and the resolutions it provided to the over-arching mystery in the previous three volumes. The series has had it's moments but it doesn't feel like a cohesive whole compared to even their Batman and Robin run..

See, that's what I like about it. Tomasi and Gleason didn't set out to write an Acclaimed Run like so many comic authors do nowadays. They wrote a monthly serial, didn't write for the trade, and filled it with as many cool scenarios they could concoct in the time they were there.

It's not meant to be a Cohesive Whole with a beginning, middle, and end. It's the kind of comic that could go 100 issues and never run out of steam, the total opposite of amazing concepts like Jane Thor, Iron Doom and Captain Falcon that were jettisoned as soon as the Superstar Writer du jour told their story and moved on.

Also
Manchester Black gets turned into a cow and is then tipped over, and it's funny because Manchester Black sucks.

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

Oct 25, 2017
See, that's what I like about it. Tomasi and Gleason didn't set out to write an Acclaimed Run like so many comic authors do nowadays. They wrote a monthly serial, didn't write for the trade, and filled it with as many cool scenarios they could concoct in the time they were there.

It's not meant to be a Cohesive Whole with a beginning, middle, and end. It's the kind of comic that could go 100 issues and never run out of steam, the total opposite of amazing concepts like Jane Thor, Iron Doom and Captain Falcon that were jettisoned as soon as the Superstar Writer du jour told their story and moved on.

They said they had wanted to go to 100 much like King on Batman but Bendis came along...so...

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

Oct 25, 2017
I have no doubt they were doing the same thing as they did on Batman and Robin but Bendis fucked that.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The problem was that in the second half there were a lot of fill-ins and the 'MURICA story, which brought it down. But most things written by Tomasi&Gleason are great

I know it's silly in this day and age but I buy that Superman is the kind of person who can say patriotic things without being delusional. Dude loves his adopted country.

They said they had wanted to go to 100 much like King on Batman but Bendis came along...so...

Yeah, but the way they wrote it is like the way, say, Impulse (the best comic from the 90s) was written. It went on for 8 years and changed writers, and Bart grew up, developed as a person, made friends, all that. But it was never planned from the start to be told as a single story with a beginning, middle and end. It was written the way serialized, never ending comics are supposed to be; put the character through exciting adventures and personal growth for the hero and their supporting cast until the writing position changes hands and moves onto the next.

LordOfLore

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Stockholm, Sweden
So we're apparently getting two more Conan books in addition to the one Aaron is doing.
Yeah, just saw
And while we have had the word of January's launch of Conan The Barbarian by Jason Aaron, Mahmud Asrar and Matt Wilson with covers by Esad Ribic, we now got confirmation of two more ongoing Conan titles.

Savage Sword Of Conan, launching in February.

And Age Of Conan, launching in March.

Creative teams not yet mentioned – but that's going to be almost as much Conan coming out in 2019 as they have Star Wars.

Heard it when they got the license but thought they had combined them into one now

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017

Also
Manchester Black gets turned into a cow and is then tipped over, and it's funny because Manchester Black sucks.

By Cohesive Whole, I don't mean a Grand Plan. I mean the team having a certain goal in mind with what they are doing or at least be consistent with what they are aiming for. If they had let this big neighbours mystery in the background simmer for longer and continue developing the three main characters and their family relationship, that would have been nice. I wouldn't even have minded a full on slice of life comic. Squirrel Girl does that amazingly well, with guest appearances from the other Big Characters. With the way volume 4 ended, it feels like a traditional 6 issue arc stretched to 24 because they had some ideas for some great scenes in the middle. Like I said, I did enjoy it and would recommend it to others. But I would not extol it as a great run.

Also, like Messi said, maybe their plans were waylaid by a certain someone.

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium

Just finished the second volume and that was better than the first. I've been enjoying it quite a bit. The father/son dynamic is great and the artwork is fantastic throughout. The different artists complement eachother really well. There's a two-parter with Damian Wayne I really loved

superboy-meets-robin-fqcpm.jpg

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just finished the second volume and that was better than the first. I've been enjoying it quite a bit. The father/son dynamic is great and the artwork is fantastic throughout. The different artists complement eachother really well. There's a two-parter with Damian Wayne I really loved

superboy-meets-robin-fqcpm.jpg

Damian is the goddamn worst. I don't think I hate any character more than I do him.

OmegaX

Oct 28, 2017

uJ4ora7.jpg

aKleq8C.jpg
Damn, that's amazing. She kinda looks like Yvonne Strahovski.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Don't think I've ever read anything where he was featured prominently, I didn't know he was such a maniac. I thought he was fine in those issues at least

The major problem with Damian is that he's either written as a little shit like he is in Superman Rebirth and gets away with it, or the writers ignore his character development in Batman & Robin like Tim Seeley did in Nightwing, where he wrote Damian as a little shit with his Batman.

Also he's basically just a ripoff of Cassandra Cain and I blame him as much as I do Barbara Gordon for causing the character to be shelved.

By Cohesive Whole, I don't mean a Grand Plan. I mean the team having a certain goal in mind with what they are doing or at least be consistent with what they are aiming for. If they had let this big neighbours mystery in the background simmer for longer and continue developing the three main characters and their family relationship, that would have been nice. I wouldn't even have minded a full on slice of life comic. Squirrel Girl does that amazingly well, with guest appearances from the other Big Characters. With the way volume 4 ended, it feels like a traditional 6 issue arc stretched to 24 because they had some ideas for some great scenes in the middle. Like I said, I did enjoy it and would recommend it to others. But I would not extol it as a great run.

Also, like Messi said, maybe their plans were waylaid by a certain someone.

I really can't agree with this, though I understand why you feel the way you do. The goal to me was just in writing Superman's relationship with his family and his drive to be a good father to Jon, while also having superhero adventures. That's the hook, and as far as I'm concerned they nailed it.

But yeah, I blame Bendis' arrival for preemptively shelving them.

Last edited:

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder when Leah Williams is going to get an X-Book. She's been getting a bunch of one off stories, so something bigger would be the next step.

Status
Not open for further replies.