• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Had our first Econ 301 quiz today and a large majority of the class failed it pretty hard. This teacher is nuts. I fear for the rest of the semester now lol.

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
i love king's bat + cat

You mean this...?

o8dqb976hyl31.jpg

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's ballsy to do romance comics as completely sincere as King does them. It's so easy to mock that kind melodrama, and he goes for it anyway because he's into it.

I love that shit. But clearly King does not have the panache to pull of the Bogart/Bacall dialogue that he wants to write. It reads like a pale imitation.

May 24, 2019
Gotham City Monsters seems very cool, but I don't know much of these characters.

What's the run up to it? Bendis Action Comics, Event Leviathan, GCM. Isn't there an old Shade or Frankenstein book that was supposed to be good?

From the preview it looks like it's returning to the fallout from Night of the Monster Men.
I, Vampire was a really great N52 launch comic with the vampire dude, and this Frankenstein debuted in Grant Morrison's Seven Soldiers, which is amazing.

hipsterpants

Oct 25, 2017
I'm really curious where Spider-Man will end up once Spencer's done. The meta-commentary by Peter this issue, along with other things going on, has me thinking he's going to try to push past the endless Spider-Man continuity cycle.

aka Aunt May is so fucking dead lol

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm really curious where Spider-Man will end up once Spencer's done. The meta-commentary by Peter this issue, along with other things going on, has me thinking he's going to try to push past the endless Spider-Man continuity cycle.

God I hope so.

R0b1n

Jun 29, 2018
The more I think of it the more I like the idea of an actual medical-focused strange series

As long as she isn't an actress this time

Deleted member 59339

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Aug 19, 2019
Has anyone here read anything they wouldn't have othewise read, just because it said Year of the Villain on it?

Does anyone here think it had a positive effect on a book you were already reading?

Canucked

Comics Council 2020 & Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Has anyone here read anything they wouldn't have othewise read, just because it said Year of the Villain on it?

Does anyone here think it had a positive effect on a book you were already reading?

I haven't gone out of my way for Year of the Villain. Maybe if there is a collected edition one day.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017

We're lucky if I read the things I would normally read. Usually I buy my books, read a couple, then forget they all exist until the following Monday before the new books come out and rush to get through them.

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

I am leaving this community!
Oct 25, 2017
How was Harley not chosen to be one of his goons. Maybe it's too obvious.

R0b1n

Jun 29, 2018
Sprawling and crossing over to too many stuff, yes. But the core concept is simple, maybe too simple. Lex goes around powering up villains so the general public loses hope in the heroes and perpetua awakens as a result of everyone believing more in DOOM

When it's typed out like this it sounds worse jeez

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
I hope ya'll remembered to pick up today's most important release.

abfef91bd74a917858e127e380c520ca._SX1280_QL80_TTD_.jpg
My friend and I looked at that, looked at the interiors, laughed, and decided to stop talking about Raptor Cop.

No to the first, but I will probably read a collection of the stand alone ones from my library one day.

As for the second question, it set up the next TEC arc, which could be good or bad.

ElNarez

Oct 28, 2017
I think the neat thing about Year of the Villain is that the setup is just "hey one of your character's villains shows up and they've got a big time upgrade", so there isn't really a need or an obligation to fit it all in a single timeline. You're not missing on anything if you're not reading Catwoman, but if you do, there's a cool reminder that everything is connected and it's all the same universe.

Deleted member 59339

Banned
Aug 19, 2019
Sprawling and crossing over to too many stuff, yes. But the core concept is simple, maybe too simple. Lex goes around powering up villains so the general public loses hope in the heroes and perpetua awakens as a result of everyone believing more in DOOM

I think the only thing that would have made it interesting would have been if had been a thing we just started noticing, but that was never called out or promoted. Then at some point announce your event.

The way they did it, though, giving it its own one-shot and logo and slapping a banner all over a bunch of books...that just made me feel like they went overboard trying to treat a pretty minor thing like it was actually a big deal.

So for me, it's just the presentation of it that was a misfire.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017

lol

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017

I mean its not all that really impactful, aside from the core Justice League book. All the other books, it doesnt really change anything, besides the respective villain gaining some new upper hand.

R0b1n

Jun 29, 2018
Wow, Zdarsky really writes a good spider-man in daredevil. Issues like this make me think he maybe wants to write Spider-Man more than Daredevil

Also I can't believe it, but the owl was actually cool in this?

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Wow, Zdarsky really writes a good spider-man in daredevil. Issues like this make me think he maybe wants to write Spider-Man more than Daredevil

Also I can't believe it, but the owl was actually cool in this?

Is Zdarsky legit a top 5/top 10 writer in the industry now? He's obviously always been great since Sex Criminals kicked off, but Marvel giving him all these books in 2019 and him not just doing well but doing great across them all... he's gotta be in that conversation, ya?

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
everytime i want to start Event Leviathan i'm always like - i should read Percy Green Arrow first, and 52 to figure out what The Question's deal is

R0b1n

Jun 29, 2018
I think the only thing that would have made it interesting would have been if had been a thing we just started noticing, but that was never called out or promoted. Then at some point announce your event.

The way they did it, though, giving it its own one-shot and logo and slapping a banner all over a bunch of books...that just made me feel like they went overboard trying to treat a pretty minor thing like it was actually a big deal.

So for me, it's just the presentation of it that was a misfire.
Ah yes, this I agree entirely with. It feels too small for something linked to so many titles, at least so far. I don't know, maybe I'm just suffering from event fatigue

Deleted member 59339

Banned
Aug 19, 2019
everytime i want to start Event Leviathan i'm always like - i should read Percy Green Arrow first, and 52 to figure out what The Question's deal is
I completely understand this impulse, and I approach many things the same way.

But more and more lately (like within the last year and a half), I've tried to embrace just saying "fuck it" and jumping into more things.

I think I have a little bit of anxiety about missing context, and that definitely hasn't gone away at all, but it's been nice to prove to myself that I'm actually fine if I just jump into things.

That was a lot of me rambling for no reason, so I'll be quiet now. :P

Status
Not open for further replies.