• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
But more and more lately (like within the last year and a half), I've tried to embrace just saying "fuck it" and jumping into more things.

100% endorse the "fuck it, jump right it" approach to comics. Can always go back later and fill in the gap. It's not worth missing out on something cool.

Porl

Nov 6, 2017
As much as i liked Batman this week, Batman Universe is just... 20 pages full of joy and i love it

Batman and Green Lantern gushing out about dinosaurs is the best

Awh, Porl. No, you were funny. Don't feel bad.
aww thankies

Does anyone here think it had a positive effect on a book you were already reading?
it gave some villains some cool upgrade so sure, it was positive

bluexy

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
that ff7r trailer was fucking awful, ya'll a bunch of tool people. i somehow managed to retain my love of ff7 after advent children but there's no way it's going to survive... whatever this thing is going to be.

shinra motorcycle kung fu for christ's sake. might as well bring back the scisorring shiva motorcycle from ff13.

Last edited:

Deleted member 59339

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Aug 19, 2019
that trailer is so gooooood. FF7 is my least favorite of the PSX era games but the remake looks amazing.
FF7 I like all the way through.

FF8 I've barely played because I didn't like the gameplay systems.

My feelings on FF9 are all over the place.

I love the world, characters, and story.

I don't like some of the art, particularly when it comes to character designs. It really varies from one character to the next. Some are fine, some are disgusting.

That's fine. As long as you're not counting on it actually coming out in 2020, and are fine with not getting to play through the entirety of Final Fantasy 7 remakes until around 2030.
If they only remake Midgar and then quit, I can live with that.

that ff7r trailer was fucking awful, ya'll a bunch of tool people.
Aerith was charming as hell when she was talking to Cloud in the Don Corneo section, and that tease of her and Tifa dragging Cloud along to dress him up is so wholesome.

WXDvjRF.jpg

And Tifa doing pull-ups!

GringoSuave89

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
LA, CA
Batman was amazing
Event Leviathan was great
Catwoman was a fun ending before whatever tie in bullshit they'll end up doing to Selina

Comics are aight.

NoalleGospell

Dec 3, 2018
Puerto Rico
I have weird history with the PSX FF games cause I never finished any of them until recently(IX on Switch). Started with FFX(my fave) and it was hard to go back to PSX era games even though I own all the main line games and finished them all except those 3.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
The voice acting is terrrible.
Were you watching a JRPG trailer with English voices? Not sure what you expected.
I never like to use Japanese dubs when I play or watch anime.
First of all, stop playing anime. Secondly, why?

I don't get wanting to hear the non-original voice for anything, unless it really is like crazy better. I'm not watching Italian movies dubbed in English just like I'm not watching (well, anymore) Friends dubbed in Japanese. They're just typically not good, and they're not the original vision.
bluexy just called me a tool
Unbeatable%2BSquirrel%2BGirl%2B%234.jpg

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
I have weird history with the PSX FF games cause I never finished any of them until recently(IX on Switch). Started with FFX(my fave) and it was hard to go back to PSX era games even though I own all the main line games and finished them all except those 3.
I generally don't replay games that old. FFX is fine, but the older ones with the forced 4:3 aspect ratio get on my nerves.

Deleted member 59339

Banned
Aug 19, 2019
The battles in 9 are so slow. They were just so in love with their presentation and animations at that time, and it kind of got away from them. Especially if you've played a lot of 10, which is pretty snappy.

NoalleGospell

Dec 3, 2018
Puerto Rico
Finished IX thanks to the X3 speed in the hd ports because the normal speed of the game is way too slow and now playing VII and VIII with the latter having priority.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
The battles in 9 are so slow. They were just so in love with their presentation and animations at that time, and it kind of got away from them. Especially if you've played a lot of 10, which is pretty snappy.
I liked IX in that it was a return to the classic formula. I was not a fan of that whole spell-stocking thing from FFVIII.

Tyrant Rave

Has A Pretty Cool Jacket
Oct 25, 2017
Cycling back to the Year of Villains thing, I've completely checked out on whatever this thing is. Is it some kind of event or something? I don't know and I don't really care. It's not interesting.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As someone who hates remakes on principle* I can confirm that y'all are a whole shed full of tool people.

*Still buying Link's Awakening though.

bluexy

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
As someone who hates remakes on principle* I can confirm that y'all are a whole shed full of tool people.

*Still buying Link's Awakening though.
Link's Awakening looks brilliant. Near 1:1 remake with gorgeous graphics + quality of life improvements. Just like the Shadow of the Colossus remake, Crash + Spyro remakes. Such incredible restoration work.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Already bought and downloaded, friend. Same with Daemon x Machina.

I'll get DxM eventually. Too much stuff now.

Link's Awakening looks brilliant. Near 1:1 remake with gorgeous graphics + quality of life improvements. Just like the Shadow of the Colossus remake, Crash + Spyro remakes. Such incredible restoration work.

Yeah LA is a top tier Zelda let down by its hardware limitations and that textbox that pops up every you time you run into a rock, so I'm eagerly anticipating a modern restoration that keeps all the good qualities.

Plus it's cute af.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
On the subject of Shadow of the Colossus, I think I bought like every version they released. By the time the full remake rolled around, I didn't enjoy it as much as in the past. Though the visuals looked fantastic.
I'll get DxM eventually. Too much stuff now.
I think Ori and the Blind Forest is the last of it for me this month. Looking forward to Outer Worlds next month assuming it doesn't get delayed.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
I played a little bit of the new demo and, man, what a 180 from the first one

game seems kind of amazing now tbh but I only did a couple of missions to fuck around with the controls
Yeah, I'm glad they took all the feedback from the first demo to heart. My biggest issues aside from fuzzy visuals were that there was a lack of gyro aiming and the control layout was pretty bad. I had to take my finger off the right analog to hit the booster with the original scheme and that was just not good. I was happy to see they fixed everything.

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

I am leaving this community!
Oct 25, 2017
Supergirl who laughs and The Drowned but they live together and go on hikes.

sven

Oct 31, 2017
I love Hickman's Sinister almost as much as I love Archibald Chamberlain from East of West.

bluexy

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
On the subject of Shadow of the Colossus, I think I bought like every version they released. By the time the full remake rolled around, I didn't enjoy it as much as in the past. Though the visuals looked fantastic.

Totally fair. I personally don't hold much value in replayability (depends on the genre, naturally). With games like SofC, so much of the game's brilliance is in how it teaches players how to tackle the colossi one by one. Each colossi being that much more challenging than the last. And in that process, there's a story about the nature of the colossi, the desperation of Wander. It's all inherently intuitive. And once you've experienced that, once the fights themselves are somewhat trivialized, you can't experience it the same way again. It's just not the same game after the first time through, but I don't think that's a negative. That first time is brilliant. And it's intended to be experienced that way.

Deleted member 59339

Banned
Aug 19, 2019
My thirst for FF7 knows no bounds, so I actually wish were were getting two different new products.

The one we are getting is a total reimagining that basically takes the characters, world, and story, and makes a brand new 2020 game out of them.

And I'm 100% for that. I can't wait to play that.

But in addition to that, I'd also love to have another remake that takes more of a remaster approach, and presents the original game as it was, with all the same gameplay and fixed camera angles and visual style and all that, but with modern presentation. So in that one, the characters would look more like this:

4OsLpjc.jpg

So give me two remakes, please! I'm insatiable.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
"Our readers cannot get enough of Conan, and luckily, we have plenty more to give them," editor Mark Basso said in a statement. "We're very excited for readers and the heroes of the Marvel Universe to meet or reunite with more characters from the legendary Robert E. Howard mythos!"

Duane

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I'm getting caught up on Avengers: No Road Home, and goddamn Paco Medina is at his peak. I think he's better than ever right now.

Also, I like Voyager a lot and I hope she's an Avengers mainstay in years to come.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
As much as i liked Batman this week, Batman Universe is just... 20 pages full of joy and i love it

Batman and Green Lantern gushing out about dinosaurs is the best

And yet I posted that page on here like six months ago and nobody said a word, except I think one person cringed.

I loved it, personally.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I completely understand this impulse, and I approach many things the same way.

But more and more lately (like within the last year and a half), I've tried to embrace just saying "fuck it" and jumping into more things.

I think I have a little bit of anxiety about missing context, and that definitely hasn't gone away at all, but it's been nice to prove to myself that I'm actually fine if I just jump into things.

That was a lot of me rambling for no reason, so I'll be quiet now. :P

I wish I could shake it, but I have a hard time. Especially with DC where I don't have as much context as Marvel / Valiant.

It's not too bad - there's plenty of time to read so while I can't stay current, I always have new books that build on each other to look forward to.

One of my favorites of all time - can't wait to replay it after all these years.

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
ASM 29

IURcsiQ.gif

I have thoughts. if this happens and sticks they will be angry thoughts aimed at editorial. if this doesn't happen or doesn't stick they will be angry thoughts aimed at editorial. also lol at "maybe some other day" being the last bit. shade all day. I don't know how to feel tbh. part of me is optimistic because I doubt they'd be covering themselves with gasoline knowing that the fans will throw the match if they pull the rug out but then the other part of me thinks about all the other bullshit. they tried to undo the marriage immediately. then they actually put their foot down. shit, slott had to take bullets behind the scenes for them to even consider doing an alternate universe mini series with the marriage. my cynical view is that maybe they get engaged and then they're just engaged for however long the writers want them engaged for and then he goes back to single. it would be the most Marvel thing ever to pick a decade old scab just to pour acid on it. also Nick Spencer's dialogue for May was great.

Porl

Nov 6, 2017
bluexy just called me a tool
aw gee whiz, you're toast!

Right? Every issue is just such a joy to read
I want this forever. Just, every month, happy batman, snarky alfred, wacky adventures, Batman and Hal not hating the shit out of each other, just them being friends and. The king of Gorilla City being angry at Batman but Batman being too awkward to apologize. Give it to me. I need it.

And yet I posted that page on here like six months ago and nobody said a word, except I think one person cringed.

I loved it, personally.
Not gonna lie that page felt kinda weird by itself but it totally works in the issue. It takes a bit of time to get used to Bendis' fun Batman, coming from King's moody version

OKAY WAIT
WAIT WAIT WAIT WAIT
BENDIS WRITING BATMAN
NICK DERINGTON AND DOC SHANER DRAWING IT

MAKE IT HAPPENNN
THE BATMAN WHO SMILES

Status
Not open for further replies.