• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
otwjffatl1m31.png
Why is callisto there?

Smh, X-men don't love ugly people

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
So what do you all think about Tim's new codename?
It satisfies my wants, and its better than Red Robin. Is it a bit ridiculous, sure, but im down with it.

I hope Bendis adds Stephanie to the Young Justice roster. Get rid of Kid GL and replace her with Steph, if the roster is too big. Really want to see her and tim DRAKE together doing whatever it was they were going to do after Tynion's Tec run.

hipsterpants

Oct 25, 2017
I honestly forget that there's a new Hickman X-book out every week. Like I look at my recent purchases every Wednesday and I'm like "oh yeah, that".

also finally read some other stuff. lol @ Batman "brah, is that your wife?". I'm digging City of Bane and am definitely looking forward to Batman/Catwoman.

also Zdarksy Daredevil continues to be stupid good

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
so i don't really know any of these DC groups like Spyral.

should i be reading stuff before i start Bendis' AC -> Event Leviathan

It's been on my list forever, so here goes!
I highly recommend watching Justice League and then Justice League Unlimited, since JLU is essentially seasons 3 and 4 of Justice League just rebranded as a different series

Some of the JL episode storylines are especially prominent.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
so i don't really know any of these DC groups like Spyral.

should i be reading stuff before i start Bendis' AC -> Event Leviathan
Not really. You can pretty much just jump straight into the AC arc.

Basically there are a shit ton of spy organizations in the DCU. Spyral was in Batman Inc and Grayson. The DEO is the organization that Supergirl works for in the CW show. But you dont really need to know much, besides they are there and who people like Amanda Waller are.

R0b1n

Jun 29, 2018
DC has so many secret groups I don't blame them for wanting to cut some down with levaithan

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
I just want to see Checkmate back, or something like it, so Rucka can do a book for it with Epting on art!

R0b1n

Jun 29, 2018
More people should be reading wonder twins, each issue is heartwarming and heartwrenching in some way. The only issue I have is that Superman looks too young, but that's a minor quibble at the end of the day

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I highly recommend watching Justice League and then Justice League Unlimited, since JLU is essentially seasons 3 and 4 of Justice League just rebranded as a different series

Some of the JL episode storylines are especially prominent.

damn, i own JL 1, JLU 1&2. JL S2 was not on sale.

More people should be reading wonder twins, each issue is heartwarming and heartwrenching in some way. The only issue I have is that Superman looks too young, but that's a minor quibble at the end of the day

that's done at issue 12 right?

Not really. You can pretty much just jump straight into the AC arc.

Basically there are a shit ton of spy organizations in the DCU. Spyral was in Batman Inc and Grayson. The DEO is the organization that Supergirl works for in the CW show. But you dont really need to know much, besides they are there and who people like Amanda Waller are.

dope, thanks!

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Dang. I think this is the first Hoxpox I didn't like. It wasn't direct. It was too hinty, referency. It took too many pages say very little, while still not answering obvious questions. And nothing actually happened. That's the big one.

The issue starts off strong with Magneto + Xavier visiting Sinister in X^0. X^0 makes the most sense to be 616, but you never know. Sinister is goofy in a great way and then Xavier plants the idea to collect mutant DNA into his head and then erases Sinister's memory. Okay, cool. It's building up to Kraklonea. Good so far.

BUT THEN... what the fuck are the Sinister secrets? Completely unhappy with these things. I can't tell if they're meant to reference secrets we already know from X-Men past, story beats from Hoxpox, or things planned for further in the future. And I don't get the format, either. Did Sinister just decide to make a weird document listing secrets? I'm so fucking unhappy with this. I don't even want to look up theories.

We jump to X^1, which could also be 616. Only, now it can't be, right? Because 616's Krakoa was blasted off into space in Giant-Size. Because Doug didn't know Xavier while Xavier could walk. Does this timeline never have Xavier's spine get fucked? Is this a hint that HoX's timeline isn't the real timeline? We get some exposition showing more plotting by Xavier which makes me confused as to whether X^0 and X^1 are supposed to be the same lineline, or if they're different timelines which share similar plotting by Xavier? Magneto isn't here, so maybe this is a timeline without including him in the plot. Anyway, completely wasted space, IMO. Beyond making me fucking confused, we could already have assumed Doug was the one to set up the Krakoa translation shit. Beautiful coloring though. And it did tease the "ORIGINAL HORSEMEN OF THE APOCALYPSE" that were referenced in Sinister's secrets. Cool.

Jump to X^3. This part is the worst. No fuckin clue what Hickman's trying to do here. There's so much dialogue and it's all used to explain what's happening. So in the process the "why" of what they're doing is fucking completely lost. Is this related to Moira? Is the Nimrod robot important anymore? Who the fuck are these people? Why have several pages for them when you won't actually do anything with them? And we end at the same place we started, confused why these folk want to be eaten by the Phalanx while the Phalanx isn't sure whether it wants to eat them.

BLARG. This is Hickman at his worst, IMO. When he jots out 50 bullet points before he writes a story and we get to book #8 or w/e and he's just writing three bulletpoints that should have been fucking edited out. Like he thought they were important one time and then couldn't remember why later, so we just get wasted pages.

Last edited:

hipsterpants

Oct 25, 2017
"so, is nick spencer's amazing spider-man a good jumping on point?"

"yeah, just make sure you read one more day first"

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Dang. I think this is the first Hoxpox I didn't like. It wasn't direct. It was too hinty, referency. It took too many pages say very little, while still not answering obvious questions. And nothing actually happened. That's the big one.

The issue starts off strong with Magneto + Xavier visiting Sinister in X^0. X^0 makes the most sense to be 616, but you never know. Sinister is goofy in a great way and then Xavier plants the idea to collect mutant DNA into his head and then erases Sinister's memory. Okay, cool. It's building up to Kraklonea. Good so far.

BUT THEN... what the fuck are the Sinister secrets? Completely unhappy with these things. I can't tell if they're meant to reference secrets we already know from X-Men past, story beats from Hoxpox, or things planned for further in the future. And I don't get the format, either. Did Sinister just decide to make a weird document listing secrets? I'm so fucking unhappy with this. I don't even want to look up theories.

We jump to X^1, which could also be 616. Only, now it can't be, right? Because 616's Krakoa was blasted off into space in Giant-Size. Because Doug didn't know Xavier while Xavier could walk. Does this timeline never have Xavier's spine get fucked? Is this a hint that HoX's timeline isn't the real timeline? We get some exposition showing more plotting by Xavier which makes me confused as to whether X^0 and X^1 are supposed to be the same lineline, or if they're different timelines which share similar plotting by Xavier? Magneto isn't here, so maybe this is a timeline without including him in the plot. Anyway, completely wasted space, IMO. Beyond making me fucking confused. We could already have assumed Doug was the one to set up the Krakoa translation shit. Beautful coloring though. And it did tease the "ORIGINAL HORSEMEN OF THE APOCALYPSE" that were referenced in Sinister's secrets. Cool.

Jump to X^3. This part is the worst. No fuckin clue what Hickman's trying to do here. There's so much dialogue and it's all used to explain what's happening. So in the process the "why" of what they're doing is fucking completely lost. Is this related to Moira? Is the Nimrod robot important anymore? Who the fuck are these people? Why have several pages for them when you won't actually do anything with them?

BLARG. This is Hickman at his worst, IMO. When he jots out 50 bullet points before he writes a story and we get to book #8 or w/e and he's just writing three bulletpoints that should have been fucking edited out. Like he thought they were important one time and then couldn't remember why later, so we just get wasted pages.

I thought it was pretty basic, but I don't think it was particularly confusing. Maybe I'm just inoculated against Hickmanisms?

X^0's document is formatted as a gossip rag, full of blind items, because Bar Sinister is a cliquey island populated entirely by Mister Sinister clones. Probably a mixture of teasers and red herrings.

X^1 is 616, taking place a few weeks/months before "today" and presumably after whatever happened with Age of X-Man and all that nonsense. It's got current Professor X, as far as we know currently still in Fantomex's body, and the Doug who merged with Warlock. The only mystery is why Doug is totally cool with Xavier being around since that was, as far as I know, still a secret at that point?

X^3 is focusing in on the whole thread that the conflict between man and mutant is really just a sideshow to the real inevitable conflict between organic and synthetic life. Who are these people? Do humans or mutants "win" in the end? Doesn't matter, they all end up surrendering to the machine intelligence that is the Phalanx.

People paint Hickman as a purely mechanical writer, and he's of course doing a lot of mechanical plot work, but the X^3 (and to an extent even the X^2 stuff) exists for purely theme/messaging reasons. The whos and whys aren't as important as the whats.

bluexy

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I thought it was pretty basic, but I don't think it was particularly confusing. Maybe I'm just inoculated against Hickmanisms?

X^0's document is formatted as a gossip rag, full of blind items, because Bar Sinister is a cliquey island populated entirely by Mister Sinister clones. Probably a mixture of teasers and red herrings.

X^1 is 616, taking place a few weeks/months before "today" and presumably after whatever happened with Age of X-Man and all that nonsense. It's got current Professor X, as far as we know currently still in Fantomex's body, and the Doug who merged with Warlock. The only mystery is why Doug is totally cool with Xavier being around since that was, as far as I know, still a secret at that point?

X^3 is focusing in on the whole thread that the conflict between man and mutant is really just a sideshow to the real inevitable conflict between organic and synthetic life. Who are these people? Do humans or mutants "win" in the end? Doesn't matter, they all end up surrendering to the machine intelligence that is the Phalanx.

People paint Hickman as a purely mechanical writer, and he's of course doing a lot of mechanical plot work, but the X^3 (and to an extent even the X^2 stuff) exists for purely theme/messaging reasons. The whos and whys aren't as important as the whats.
tag is spoiler not spoilers! :D

May 24, 2019

Were you reading Morrison Batman? If not, you should see the first iteration of Leviathan that started in Batman Inc.
And read about Spyral in Grayson, cause Grayson's amazing. It's Tom King (co-writing) and Mikel Janin on art before he was on King's Batman.

edit: I'd say reading some comics with the cast of Event Leviathan would be the more important thing to do since it's 90% just them talking.

Last edited:

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
The dumbest thing.

But that has...

Starcrossed

Twilight

A Better World

Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow

And the Christmas episode the name of which I can't totally remember

Fuck all of like the best episodes

Oh and I think S2 has the Defenders homage, too

ah well, i will keep an eye on S2 around the holiday sales and dive in then. or splurge whenever YJ s3 drops in full on iTunes

Were you reading Morrison Batman? If not, you should see the first iteration of Leviathan that started in Batman Inc.
And read about Spyral in Grayson, cause Grayson's amazing. It's Tom King (co-writing) and Mikel Janin on art before he was on King's Batman.

i did read Morrison, but didn't enjoy it and don't really remember it

Grayson has been on my list forever

bluexy

Verified
Oct 25, 2017

more hoxpox spoilers
X^0: Kk, that it's a weird gossip rag is reasonable. I still am confused about the scope of it tho -- ie whether it's dealing with references to stuff that's already happened, is happening in Hoxpox that we don't know about, or will happen.

X^1: See that what I thought, that this should be 616 since it directly tied into what's going on in HoX. But this is BEFORE Krakoa is up and running. That means no clones (assuming Xavier is using Krakoa to make clones), which means there's no reason for young Doug to be here. In 616 he's a crazy older skinny junky with a beard. Like you said Xavier should be Fantomex, but that's very clearly just Xavier. And if it's a year early anyway, this should be prior to Fantomex when either Xavier is dead or still paralyzed. Which is why it's either A.) Super confusing. B.) Doing major retcons. or C.) Not actually 616. This feels like Xavier bringing Doug to Krakoa in an alternate timeline where Polaris+Jean didn't blow the island off of Earth.

X^3: I dig that thought that this is about that ongoing conflict, but I still don't feel like anything actually happened here.

Last edited:

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
I really like the issue where Babs and Helena just beat the shit out of Gladius agents while working their way up a building.

The book has moments.
ah well, i will keep an eye on S2 around the holiday sales and dive in then. or splurge whenever YJ s3 drops in full on iTunes
Or just watch whatever you have because it's fucking good

bluexy

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
like, fuck me, this is a good looking book

dDfx3OM.png

WhlyHb3.png
This book would legit be one of the best of the year if it wasn't burdened with Knull. It's excellent, but holy shit WHY KNULL. The red pages in today's issue were so crazy good.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Bendis says that he and Rucka have been working pretty closely on their current DC stuff, and that you should be reading Event Leviathan and Lois Lane together to get the bigger story.

I actually would have liked to see a book following the characters that were shown on the last page of today's issue. Or at least an issue devoted to them. Now that I say that though, I dont want that to be next issue lol, unless its not a flashback.

SpaceSong

Oct 25, 2017
Hi!

I've been playing Monster Hunter Iceborne, getting upset with people in wrestling threads and cleaning the apartment!

Uzumaki is still amazing when I have time to read it. It's cool because Ito is clearly just experimenting with different types of horror story telling. He even has a disaster sorry about a hurricane in here. BUT IT'S A HAUNTED HURRICANE!!! OoOoOoOo!!~

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
Everytime people say Iceborne without the prefix of Monster Hunter, I think it's like just Bloodborne if it were only Cainhurst Castle.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
I've been playing Monster Hunter Iceborne, getting upset with people in wrestling threads and cleaning the apartment!
Oh boy, what happened now?

Uzumaki is still amazing when I have time to read it. It's cool because Ito is clearly just experimenting with different types of horror story telling. He even has a disaster sorry about a hurricane in here. BUT IT'S A HAUNTED HURRICANE!!! OoOoOoOo!!~
Read Tomie next.

Status
Not open for further replies.