• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
The price of a movie is going to go up, again.

Regal Cinemas (RGC), one of the largest movie theater chains in the United States, is hoping you might.

The company will experiment with charging more for tickets during peak movie times and less at times when attendance tends to be lighter.

Think of it as Uber-style surge pricing, but for movies.

Regal, partnering with the online ticket service and app Atom Tickets, will try it in several markets next year.

Regal CEO Amy Miles didn't say how many theaters would try it, what the prices would be or whether Regal might use such a model to charge different prices for hits and duds.

But the new pricing plan, if successful, could be just what theater chains need. Shares of Regal, competitors AMC (AMC), Cinemark (CNK), and big screen operator IMAX (IMAX) have all fallen this year because of poor box office sales.

There's a big debate about whether the high cost of tickets -- not to mention popcorn, soda and other concession stand goodies -- are the industry's biggest problem.

That might be part of it, and it's the reason another company has recently launched a service called MoviePass that lets people see as many movies as they want for a monthly subscription. In other words, Netflix for movie theaters.

The big chains are cautiously embracing it. Miles said in an earnings conference call with analysts Tuesday that Regal is happy to sell tickets to MoviePass at full price, and MoviePass can then offer those tickets to its customers at whatever price it wants.

But Miles ruled out any partnership that would give MoviePass access to lower-priced tickets.

"We will take a wait-and-see approach and we're going to continue to enjoy the benefits of the full priced movie tickets that we're receiving for all MoviePass customers," Miles said. "What we will not entertain is the discounted ticket arrangement or any participation in our concession sales as part of the arrangement."

http://money.cnn.com/2017/10/26/media/regal-cinemas-dynamic-pricing/index.html

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully AMC doesn't follow suit 'cus this shit is already expensive enough. I already don't go to smaller film sometimes because of the price.

Cipher Peon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I honestly thought this was already a thing. Tickets cost 15+ here on opening night, so I figured that this was commonplace.

Taki

Attempt to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's almost like they don't want us to visit anymore.

Tiger Priest

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
New York, NY
This will only accelerate the push to home digital only. Honestly I don't really care about going to the movies anymore when I can stream everything for much cheaper in the comfort of my home. All you get at the theater is a blasted out soundtrack.

Dog of Bork

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
These fuckers are going to kill their own industry.

If they think they can charge more than they already are they're nuts. If they use this to discount shit films, though, they could see increases revenue.

Giolon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Movies around SF already cost more on Friday and weekend evenings by a few bucks. What do they want to do, triple it?

And they wonder why people don't want to go to the movies anymore when they can have a perfectly good home theater experience...

Hawk

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully what this means is that big movie prices stay the same, while smaller movie prices see cheaper tickets,. Although I'm cautious to see if that's the case. But like, at the same time, how can it not be? You just don't jack up the price to a marvel movie $5 if your company is losing money.

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Thank God for moviepass.

Why don't they understand that they've reached diminishing returns w movie prices. Lower them if you want more attendance dammit.

mac

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Given that 2 of the 4 movies I watched this year were mother! and Blade Runner 2049, I appreciate this concept. Aha, I also watched The Black Tower movie. That was received as a failure as well. This is a welcome play for those of use that enjoy BO bombs.

Cake Boss

Oct 25, 2017
These companies need to be creative in generating new revenue streams, just like the games industry. They didn't raise the prices of the games, they introduced new methods of getting that cold hard cash.

Now introducing Lootboxes and DLC passes for Thor 3!

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
this sounds like shit on first glance but if they really are going to lower prices for non-peak times that'd be cool but it sounds more like they just want an excuse to raise the prices

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's already kind of started with the Last Jedi 'fan experience' experiment pushing that envelope this year. $30-35 for a ticket is what people proved they're willing to pay when it's Star Wars and they get to see the movie at 6:00pm instead of 7:00pm while Disney / theatre chains sprinkle in some inexpensive tokens of appreciation to try and justify the expense.

chidrock

Oct 26, 2017
Here's an idea: keep the prices for peak movies as-is and expand matinee prices to extra shows. (even though the current prices are kind of ridiculous- especially for a family of four)

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
The Regal near me just closed up.

But by all means, keep pursuing these money-grubbing schemes.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
They already do this anyway. Now it's even worse. That's one of the many reasons I go to the first showing of the day, IF I go at all.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, that's always been the case in a sense. Matinee showings are cheaper than prime time, after all.

I'd be good with this if it cuts both ways (an extra buck or two in Saturday night but a bit cheaper on Tuesday morning), just because I avoid "surge" times in general. But I sort of doubt that...

Game Boy 007

Oct 25, 2017
This is basically already a thing, and has been for as long as I can remember.

If you see a movie from Monday to Thursday night, it's cheaper than seeing a weekend show.

If you see a matinee, it's cheaper than going at night.

If you see the very first show of the day, it's a little bit cheaper than even a matinee.

Those are true of all the theaters I go to, but in addition to those things, the closest theater to me does sub-matinee pricing all day on Tuesdays.

So we already have variable pricing. If anything, all that will change is theaters implementing a more complex algorithm that will be more specific and do away with the easy generalizations I made above. Meaning you'll probably have to do a bit more research if you're value-conscious.

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is basically already a thing, and has been for as long as I can remember.

If you see a movie from Monday to Thursday night, it's cheaper than seeing a weekend show.

If you see a matinee, it's cheaper than going at night.

If you see the very first show of the day, it's a little bit cheaper than even a matinee.

Those are true of all the theaters I go to, but in addition to those things, the closest theater to me does sub-matinee pricing all day on Tuesdays.

So we already have variable pricing. If anything, all that will change is theaters implementing a more complex algorithm that will be more specific and do away with the easy generalizations I made above. Meaning you'll probably have to do a bit more research if you're value-conscious.

oh god your avatar

nostalgiaaaaaaa

lt519

Oct 25, 2017
As someone that only goes and sees big blockbuster movies on opening night at an RPX, this is going to suck. But it might entice me to go see smaller movies at regular theaters weeks after the premier if I don't have to pay $30 for a couple.

Rebetherick

Oct 26, 2017
Pretty sure Cineworld already had this. Was cheaper if you went before 5pm on a weekday, eventually they just removed it and made the pre 5pm the same price as post 5pm.

This seems to be on a more case by case basis though.

Oct 25, 2017
Never been happier to have a MoviePass subscription. I really hope they don't go under for awhile. Its been nice being able to afford to see movies every weekend.

CelestialAtom

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 26, 2017
Thank god for MoviePass. It's insane, as movies here in Nashville are already $14-$16 for a ticket. Anything more and I wouldn't pay if I didn't have MoviePass.

Relix

Oct 25, 2017
Wow. So, if I want to see, say, Last Jedi at 8pm on opening it's gonna cost me like 30 bucks per person since it's surging? Nope. Screw that.

John Dunbar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
where i live cinemas are royally fucking people. went to see blade runner on a weekday afternoon because thought the tickets might be more reasonably priced then. cost €14.40. what the fuck

Hippo_PRIME

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can't imagine film studios and distributors will be happy about this. I would think a lot of movie goers would just wait for several weeks after a fill comes out to to when the ticket prices get cheaper. Hollywood is all about that opening weekend box office (usually), so it seems like this would be theater chains angering customers and producers.

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
Hence why I don't go to the movies and wait to buy it on iTunes.

20$ to watch it as many times as I want. Wherever I want?

Why would I bother with the movies except to "see it now!"? I'll wait for 99% of the movies I like. Star Wars and Marvel will get me. That's about it.

Gotta wash my ass, get dress, drive to the movies, buy popcorn, hope to get a seat, idiot on their phone, no leg room......OR.....I can enjoy content on my 65' tv w surround sound.