• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Turrican3

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
Currently I'm waiting for David Pleasence's The Inside Story and Brian Bagnall's final book in Commodore's history series. Bagnall's first two books are some of the best ones in gaming history literature.
Same here (shipping is taking a bit, but at least Mr. Pleasance gave us the pdf) and totally agree regarding Mr. Bagnall's stuff!

Some games just don't work with d-pad. Like Speedball 2 or Sensible Soccer just to name a few. Of course one needs to have a good joystick.
Yeah, more or less... I mean, I'm not claiming you cannot play games that way... but surely as hell I couldn't adjust myself to a dpad control scheme.

Just look up amiberry tutorials on youtube , there are even comparaison videos showcasing the progress
Great to hear, thanks!

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
As someone who never heard of the Amiga until a few years ago, I am fascinated by the games released on it. The visuals and music on some games are quite impressive and beautiful.

clickKunst

Dec 18, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I particularly like the Amiga/DOS era and find it to be my favourite time. It melded the the wild west early days of computing and the quality multimedia experiences that came with the advancements to graphics cards, sound cards, optical storage and faster processors. Nintendo and Sega felt so conventional by comparison. Computer games were a truly weird space.

Hadok

Feb 14, 2018
Team Atari St here :(

but yeah i've played a lot of those games.

No love for Silmarils?

Targhan:
Targhan-3.png

Starblade:
hqdefault.jpg

and their other games! Ishar ,Le fetiche Maya,Manhattan Dealers (their first game)....

Saoshyant

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Anyone has experience with the Armiga, the mini implementation of an A500 with some A1200 compatibility? They have stopped selling them, but I'm wondering if it's worth adding myself to a waiting list depending on results. Controller compatibility seems kind of bad? In that it only seems to take some non-XInput USB controllers.

Also, what's the best cap replacement video for people who aren't very good at soldering (i.e. me) but need to replace caps on both A1200 and CD32 units?

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone has experience with the Armiga, the mini implementation of an A500 with some A1200 compatibility? They have stopped selling them, but I'm wondering if it's worth adding myself to a waiting list depending on results. Controller compatibility seems kind of bad? In that it only seems to take some non-XInput USB controllers.

Also, what's the best cap replacement video for people who aren't very good at soldering (i.e. me) but need to replace caps on both A1200 and CD32 units?
Are you talking about Vampire cards?

Bulk_Rate

Oct 27, 2017
Texas
My Amiga years from about '87-88 until the launch of Wolfenstein 3D were cool in that it felt as if I owned technology from the future compared to my friends with CGA/EGA PCs, B&W macs, etc.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
Just make your own, it's an ARM based amiga around Amibian

It will be cheaper and better (save for the FDD but honestly why would you waste your time and not go either for a full ADF/WHDLOAD setup or use a gotek drive anyway)

You're probably better off with a MiSTeR board and the AIO-SD-Ram daughter board (should be around 160$-180$ all in) and the Amiga 1200 core is fantastic (FPGA setup) if you want a more authentic feeling

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
Just stumbled upon this.
Outrun remake for Amiga

Before you take off your pants though, it needs upgraded hardware (Vampire) and uses the original assets from the arcade rom.
Would have been a lot more interesting to see what a properly coded adaptation would look like using Lotus engine (or Driving Force engine, that was really good)

Almost arcade perfect (some details were removed, backdrops, shadows) and the music was replaced with .mod files

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
At this point Vampire cards is kind of cheating :p

There's a Neogeo emulator for Vampire cards too, works really well

I'm probably getting a Vampire 4 because I'm an Amiga user and as such I'm crazy

Bulby

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Berlin
Leander, Dynamite Dux, Walker, North and South, Stunt Car Racer, Shadow of the Beast 1+2.

All games I loved and never got close to completing. So fucking difficult back in the day

mogster7777

Oct 27, 2017
I've wanted to get into Amiga from emulation but it seems like such a steep learning curve I have no idea how to even go about it on my PC.

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
The Flatline video was very well done. I continually regret missing out on the Amiga when it was still on the market.

chironex

Oct 27, 2017
The Flatline video was very well done. I continually regret missing out on the Amiga when it was still on the market.

It was a crazy time tbh. I used to do my highschool assignments in some desktop publishing software I got off the front of a magazine, and even did one recording animations from Deluxe Paint and Sculpt 4D (3D modelling and animation tool) on to VHS. I started in electronic music using it, learnt to program C, and wrote games in AMOS Professional, a basic-like language with fairly decent graphics support.

The PC I owned afterwards felt like a real downgrade in terms of general user experience and software availability.

Still have that Amiga, replaced my a590 HDD with a microSD SCSI adaptor and filled out the 8mb worth of ram slots on the drive controller board while I was at it. Not that it's very useful due to the Amigas split memory pool architecture.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
It was a crazy time tbh. I used to do my highschool assignments in some desktop publishing software I got off the front of a magazine, and even did one recording animations from Deluxe Paint and Sculpt 4D (3D modelling and animation tool) on to VHS. I started in electronic music using it, learnt to program C, and wrote games in AMOS Professional, a basic-like language with fairly decent graphics support.

The PC I owned afterwards felt like a real downgrade in terms of general user experience and software availability.

Still have that Amiga, replaced my a590 HDD with a microSD SCSI adaptor and filled out the 8mb worth of ram slots on the drive controller board while I was at it. Not that it's very useful due to the Amigas split memory pool architecture.
Fun fact, the father of AMOS is making a new version (AMOS 2) and is on patreon (french guy)

Also man, the A590 costs a fortune now, this is why I'm trying my hardest to find a good condition Amiga 600 that someone will be willing to ship to Canada without asking extortion money for it :(

Schrade

Oct 25, 2017
There are a crapton of Amiga related videos on this YouTube Channel:

https://www.youtube.com/user/BIOSJERBIL/videos

If you go back 3 years or so in their videos you can see a bunch of Amiga 30th anniversary event in Mountain View, California. Lots of speakers talking about Amiga history and the stories behind the scenes. Love this shit.

fourfourfun

Oct 27, 2017
England
D/Generation (Abersoft/Mindscape)
This blended genres really well (action, stealth, puzzles). The PC and ST versions might have been made first (I don't know) but the Amiga and CD32 got versions with enhanced graphics a few years later.

Worth noting that the remastered (horrible looking) and original versions of this are available on the Switch eShop.

Deleted member 9305

Oct 26, 2017
The algorithm recommended this one too me, rare hit, good stuff:

Schrade

Oct 25, 2017
A recent interview with Joe Decuir, Badge #3 at HiToro (Amiga). Jay Miner was Badge #2, his dog Mitchie was Badge #0 :)

He says that he had to disappear when Jack Tramiel started to sue Jay Miner. He basically disappeared for like 10 years because of the risk of being sued by Jack.

supkid

Oct 29, 2017
Dublin, Ireland
I still remember getting the Batman pack Amiga 500, would have been around 1989 or something. Incredible machine. Although spending some £80 to upgrade the RAM by 500k seems a bit ludicrous now.

Edit: wasn't there also a mad game, I can't remember the name at all.. but it was kinda Final Fight/Double Dragon style. The main character would say stuff like "fuck off" when he either hit someone or got hit?

Last edited:

Mitchman1411

Jul 28, 2018
Oslo, Norway
I must admit I didn't play many games on my Amigas, but I did make a lot of music (KCS and some keyboards) and eventually got into programming. This programming lead me to create a mail/news/... reader called Thor, which eventually gave me the job I have now, making web browsers. So you can say I'm eternally grateful for the Amigas, it got me into programming and the experience landed me great jobs.

Santar

Oct 27, 2017
Norway
I love the Amiga!
I got my Amiga 500 in the late 80's, after the C64 and then the NES and Gameboy.
It was the machine that made me learn about memory expansions. Eventually I figured out what that 1mb required sticker meant on those demo disks that didn't work :P
And the joy was high when I eventually got that sweet 512 kb expansion some time later!

Ahh, the glorious Amiga mags with the prized demo disks. Cu Amiga, Amiga Format, Amiga Action, Amiga Power.
I had a friend who's dad worked at a transporting firm and he'd give me bags of mags that weren't sold. It was always exciting to find out what new demos would arrive this time :)

The Amiga sort of always tried to punch above it's weight. Often trying to be a 16 bit console like the SNES and Mega Drive/Genesis but unfortunately didn't always quite reach those highs.
You had the oodles of cutsey platformers that wanted to be Sonic or Mario. (Zool, Tearaway Thomas, Kid Chaos, Robocod). You had the racers that wanted to be Mario Kart like Bump 'n' Burn. You had the fighting games that wanted to be Street Fighter 2 (Elfmania, Body Blows and Dangerous Streets) and towards the end you had the fps shooters that wanted to be Doom (Death Mask, Breathless and Fears). It was fascinating to experience.

So many great games. Some favorites were:

rainbow_islands_14.png

Rainbow Islands and Parasol Stars (Brilliant conversions of colorful fun platformers even though Rainbow Islands is missing some islands)

lethal_weapon_06.png

Lethal Weapon (surprisingly good platformer based on the movies, Ocean produced some cracking good platformers back in the day)

zak_mckracken_and_the_alien_mindbenders_03.png

Zak Mckraken (my copy didn't have the manual with the copy protection in it so I always got stuck in the airport :P)

monkey_island_2_-_lechucks_revenge_05.png

Monkey Island 1 and 2, true classics. MI 2 was on 11 disks and after a couple of days I noticed that some of them was missing when I bought it! Had to wait for quite a while before I got the missing ones. And booy did that game have a lot of disk swapping. But I didn't care because that was just the way things were. It was still an incredibly good game.

mortal_kombat_05.png

Mortal Kombat (A great conversion even if we only had one button on the joystick. My brother and I played it countless times)

cool_spot_04.png

Cool Spot (good colorful platformer that in the EU had nothing to do with 7up :P)

north_and_south_03.png

North & South (great fun arcade strategy game, especially with two players)

james_pond_2_-_robocod_09.png

James Pond 2: Operation Robocod (Smashing cololrful platformer with a lot of levels chock full of collectibles and secrets.

Unfortunately I don't have my Amiga hocked up anymore as it's buried in my parents attic but I still boot up Winuae from time to time and still enjoy the games as much as I did back then. Still fun to try out games I'd read about back then but never got to play.

If anybody is interested in a Amiga podcast I can highly recommend Amigos: Everything Amiga Podcast
A great video and audio podcast series where two guys check out a Amiga game each week along with some Amiga scene news and stuff. They have great chemistry and it's very fun to hear them experience Amiga games for the first time.

Shin Kojima

Oct 27, 2017
Did anyone actually buy their games?
In those days I honestly thought copying games was the normal thing to do and our stores didn't even sell Amiga games save for the occasional flight sim or something.

To this day I feel kind of bad about having enjoyed Amiga games so much without actually paying for them. I spent more on magazines like Zero.

Would love to 'rectify' that by buying an Amiga Classic Mini.

ffvorax

Oct 27, 2017
I had an amiga 500 too, and many differend controller/joystick lol!
One of the most incredible things of it were the soundtrack of the games for me... ok the graphic was incredible in some games, and in too many was the real thing while the gameplay was shit, but the musics were most of time time TOP. I just started some games to listen to the soundtrack...

One of my favourite games were. Hostages, Lionheart, Dragons Lair (I still wonder how they made it...), Space Ace, Lemmings, Shadow of the Beast, Alien Breed (this one is also available on the PSVITA), Pinball Dreams/Fantasies (PSVITA available too), Zool, Giana Sisters, James Pond, Another World, Flashback,... the list is very long...

EDIT:
Do we have a list of "Amiga games" available on modern consoles?
As I said these is what I know

Alien Breed (PS3/PSVITA)
Pinball Dreams/Fantasies (PS3/PSP/PSVITA)
Flashback (PS3/PS4?)
James Pond (PS3/PSVITA)
Gods (PS4)

Last edited:

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

part of a larger purchase for dirt cheap. It was sitting in a warehouse being liquidated! I don't think the dude knows what it was. This is the second time in my life that I've ever seen commodore equipment in the wild in the US, the last time being back in 1991.

Getting an SGI Iris workstation from the same place, too, for $150!