• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Frank Quietly faces - Potato, Not Potato?

• Potato

Votes: 66 57.4%
  • Not Potato

Votes: 49 42.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
Comic industry is a industry of stagnation. What sells sells, and what doesn't, doesn't.

You may occasionally get a shake up to the status quo, but ain't no upstart putting in work like the tried and true. Some indies may be able to pull in some numbers here or there.

But you see that Black Knight book? That one that's critically acclaimed, hailed as a triumph of cape comics and probably the best written book from the big two?

That's not even gonna get 1/5th the sales of a book about Green lantern by the same author that's probably only half as good.

But Green Lantern is a name. So you get people to go "God damn, this green lantern book is amazing, folks are gonna turn out for green lantern. Folks are not gonna gonna turn out for Black Knight, even if his book is just as good, if not better."

In comics, we judge the book by its cover.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Hell yea! Like I said earlier, I know it's not the most beloved X-Men stories, but idc. I remember buying that Astonishing X-Men mini when I was a kid, along with the giant sized UXM 375 lol.

Yar, it's such a key piece of the story wrapping up stuff prior to New X-Men, also setting stuff up for like the Search for Cyclops in Eve of Destruction. Fits snuggly right before the X-Men Revolution omni, too. Ahh, Marvel's really going in.

May 24, 2019
Excited about The Question, mostly because the old comics are clogging up my backlog and this is an excuse to read 'em :)

You really want ANOTHER Joker book, no matter how great the actual team is? I'm sure it'll be good, but I could just care less tbh. Seems like a waste of a great team.

Characters are way less important than creators. I'll never assume a team I like can't make something interesting out of any property.

R0b1n

Jun 29, 2018
Characters are way less important than creators. I'll never assume a team I like can't make something interesting out of any property.
I generally can get behind this, but certain characters carry baggage that I just have little interest in. Like Joker for example, he comes with Gotham, the Batfam and his brand of pscyho. I don't doubt the team can make a good story out of it, but I just have little interest upon seeing the name "Joker"

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Question definitely sounds like a great pitch. A deep dive on a single character trapped in deathless purgatory sounds right up Lemire's alley and Cowan and Sienkiewicz are pretty much the perfect artists for it.

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

I am leaving this community!
Oct 25, 2017
My stuff arrived from IST.

nT0Pmwtr.jpg

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Funny find. In the new Young Guns Sketchbook #1, they've got a drawing from Mr. Dauterman. "Russell Dauterman draws Storm, one of his favorite heroes, and conceives his own personal design for her." So that's Dauterman's design, eh? How weird, it feels like we've seen it before...

IMG_8598.jpeg
powerofx2019001_cassara_character-decades-var.jpg

Oh, it just happens to be Storm's new costume for Hickman's X-Men.

This is so great. He would be the perfect X-Men artist. He already drew Quentin in Thor!

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
My stuff arrived from IST.
Nice haul! You need to read Descender first and lemme know what you think!

Also, I assume the White Knight HC was cut off from the image.

sorry for assuming we would all be involved in this discussion 🤷‍♂️
Sorry, I was rushing on my break. Just a bit disappointed is all. At least The Question sounds awesome. I'm sure I'll read Joker. Just can't get excited for it atm.

Porl

Nov 6, 2017
I mean, yeah, sure, joker is boring, there's a lot of joker, whooeee look how scary he is, whatever, I don't care for him either.

But I'm here for Sorrentino drawing some more horror shit after Gideon falls. Lemire writing about families is always great. Not the most exciting thing, but I'm sure it will be good and I'm gonna read it. I just hope the story is more about the psychiatrist than the Joker, which looks to be the case.

Ewing always digs obscure as fuck characters out for his books. And Justice peace is perfect for the dumb ass comic book ass comic book that is Infinity Warps.
He was also in You Are Deadpool. I wouldn't be surprised if he showed up somewhere else after this

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

Oct 25, 2017
Nice haul! You need to read Descender first and lemme know what you think!

Also, I assume the White Knight HC was cut off from the image.

Sorry, I was rushing on my break. Just a bit disappointed is all. At least The Question sounds awesome. I'm sure I'll read Joker. Just can't get excited for it atm.

Believe it or not I've two copies of White Knight, one I bought one I was given as a gift to a Harley fan. Ffs

May 24, 2019
Like, I'm looking forward to the Joker movie basically 100% on the back of Phoenix. The fact that it's a solo Joker movie isn't very important to me.

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

Oct 25, 2017
Of course there's fucking anime on the tv. Of course. How many USPS workers gave their lives this time?

And why did you buy Monstress? I thought you didn't like it?

I like Takedas art enough to want it in OHC. Also I have a spending addiction

The delivery driver brought it to the door on the dolly.

You underestimate how often anime is on in the background.

ElNarez

Oct 28, 2017
You really want ANOTHER Joker book, no matter how great the actual team is? I'm sure it'll be good, but I could just care less tbh. Seems like a waste of a great team.

In addition to "Gideon Falls fucking ruled", I have to admit that "what would happen if all of a sudden a real-ass doctor trying to make things better started working at Arkham Asylum" is one of my Dream Batman Pitches.

SeanShards

Oct 25, 2017
Phase One of the Black Hammer Universe

This is where we're at now, folks. I like the books but....yeesh.

Also I miss Twitter. It had a good run. Can't wait for the ResetERA-equivalent, which will probably be called Birb or something.

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

Oct 25, 2017
Phase One of the Black Hammer Universe

This is where we're at now, folks. I like the books but....yeesh.

Also I miss Twitter. It had a good run. Can't wait for the ResetERA-equivalent, which will probably be called Birb or something.

I'm sitting here waiting for phase two of Morning Glories.

End of season 1. FFS

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
it's weird how Invisible Woman #1 reminded me why I liked Nick Fury Sr and hate Nick Fury Jr all in a matter of page turns. Jr went from regular ol navy dude to master spy who has pull with everyone with no buildup and to this day it gets on my nerves every time I see him not be called out as useless in any appearance.

Status
Not open for further replies.