• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ULTROS!

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone in here own a bunch of the old FF Play Arts(pre-kai)

FBsgBKNh.jpg

ULTROS!

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nice,
Honestly my collection is kinda split and im trying to figure out if I want to go fill out 1.0s or go in on Kai more.

I'd gladly switch to Bring Arts but it seems like a while before it actually has enough depth to fully commit to.

I think the older arts have value, I checked the price of Auron and it was being sold for $300 on EBay.

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
I'll try to make one then I'll get your approval. Will try to cram all the logos of FF in the OP banner
If we're going to change the banner why don't we just use Valdei's?

Quite a few outside of Play Arts but for that specifically I have:

And since unlike the above I don't have a photo I also have Tidus:

I also have the Squall and Rinoa mini's from Trading Arts. My favourites so far are Kotobukiya VIII figures.

Oct 25, 2017
If we're going to change the banner why don't we just use Valdei's?

Quite a few outside of Play Arts but for that specifically I have:

And since unlike the above I don't have a photo I also have Tidus:

I also have the Squall and Rinoa mini's from Trading Arts. My favourites so far are Kotobukiya VIII figures.
The Rinoa and original Squall are still my favorite Play Arts.
They are the main thing making me consider swapping back to 1.0.

I have nobody from VII in 1.0 besides KH Cloud, but I have some in Kai.
I have XIII-2 Lightning Kai but she is 1.0 scale
Then Viii, X and Kingdom Hearts in 1.0

Plum

May 31, 2018
Hello! Just popping in with a question. Essentially, I bought myself an SNES Mini but decided that I wouldn't put enough time into it to really justify the price right now, and so I returned it with a full (though store credit) refund the day after. I bought it mainly to play FFVI, but since that won't be happening I was wondering whether the PS1 version available on the PS3 and Vita is a good way to play the game? I know there's the GBA version but I don't have a GBA and I've heard about some pretty major sound/graphical issues with the port.

Thanks in advance! I've been trying to get into the series for a while now and I've decided that VI seems to be the best place for me to jump in.

Jan 11, 2018
I was wondering whether the PS1 version available on the PS3 and Vita is a good way to play the game?

PAL or NTSC? If it's the latter version, then yes it's decent enough (especially on a Vita). Some people will tell you it's a bad port due to the load times - don't listen to them. You'll spend less time waiting for the game to load than when playing FFIX and the load times are completely normal for a PS1 title (the PS1 port of FFIV on the other hand... yikes). Of course, the SNES and GBA versions don't have any load times so I think it might simply be hard for people who are used to playing those ports to adjust.

I personally prefer the GBA port myself. New, improved translation and some decent bonus content. The increased brightness doesn't bother me and I'm not a big fan of the SNES soundchip to begin with so the downgraded audio isn't something that bothers me either.

Calliope

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Detroit, MI

I have two. And yes, they are both of Cloud lol. I also have two Play Arts Kai of him as well. My ex used to joke that all my Clouds could join together to form a giant Voltron Cloud lol.

I have figures from other FFs as well, but they are all Play Arts Kai, and I don't like them quite as much as the original Play Arts. I'm bummed I missed out on so many from that era. I love love love your Tidus Wazzy!!

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
If I stick with Kai im thinking of getting the newer NT Squall,
I have the original Kai Squall but comparatively the new one is way better besides the hair.
Missed it when it originally released
(whole thing wouldn't be an issue if there was a Kai Rinoa)

How do the original VII's scale with VIII if you don't mind me asking?
I know X's are a tad short but it was fine with me as I I had to have Yuna regardless.

I have KH Cloud so im ok in that department, but im definitely looking at Tifa, Aerith and Yuffie.

I have two. And yes, they are both of Cloud lol. I also have two Play Arts Kai of him as well. My ex used to joke that all my Clouds could join together to form a giant Voltron Cloud lol.

I have figures from other FFs as well, but they are all Play Arts Kai, and I don't like them quite as much as the original Play Arts. I'm bummed I missed out on so many from that era. I love love love your Tidus Wazzy!!
I almost pulled the trigger on that Cloud and motorcycle so many times,
sadly every time I was in the comic shop that had it, it seemed like it jumped $10-$15.

The Kais are nice but there's something about the simplicity of the originals i prefer.

Last edited:

Plum

May 31, 2018
PAL or NTSC? If it's the latter version, then yes it's decent enough (especially on a Vita). Some people will tell you it's a bad port due to the load times - don't listen to them. You'll spend less time waiting for the game to load than when playing FFIX and the load times are completely normal for a PS1 title (the PS1 port of FFIV on the other hand... yikes). Of course, the SNES and GBA versions don't have any load times so I think it might simply be hard for people who are used to playing those ports to adjust.

I personally prefer the GBA port myself. New, improved translation and some decent bonus content. The increased brightness doesn't bother me and I'm not a big fan of the SNES soundchip to begin with so the downgraded audio isn't something that bothers me either.

Thanks! I think the version being sold on the PSN Store is the PAL version, unfortunately. What's the issue with that one?

Plum

May 31, 2018
Same as 99% of every other PAL game from the 80's and 90's - 17% slower due to poor 50 Hz conversion.

Ah, thought there would be some major issue I didn't know about. But, yeah, I think that's enough to make me skip the game's PS1 port. I've been meaning to buy a GBA for a while now so I think I'll get one of those and the game to go with it. There are some reproduction carts on eBay for a "Restored" version with the darker graphics, fixed fonts and sound so I'll look into that.

Jan 11, 2018
Ah, thought there would be some major issue I didn't know about. But, yeah, I think that's enough to make me skip the game's PS1 port. I've been meaning to buy a GBA for a while now so I think I'll get one of those and the game to go with it. There are some reproduction carts on eBay for a "Restored" version with the darker graphics, fixed fonts and sound so I'll look into that.

Hmm, don't pay too much for a repro though. It's too bad the official release is really expensive (and there are lots of fakes too). The Steam port has the new translation and bonus content from the GBA version, but with the SNES music. Many fans dislike the new sprites, but I think they look decent enough if you install some mods to remove the blurriness. However, what's really killing that version for me is that it's just a lazy port of the mobile release, with a touch screen interface.

You will probably be able to find a SNES Mini for cheaper than a GBA + FFVI Advance.

Plum

May 31, 2018
Hmm, don't pay too much for a repro though. It's too bad the official release is really expensive (and there are lots of fakes too). The Steam port has the new translation and bonus content from the GBA version, but with the SNES music. Many fans dislike the new sprites, but I think they look decent enough if you install some mods to remove the blurriness. However, what's really killing that version for me is that it's just a lazy port of the mobile release, with a touch screen interface.

You will probably be able to find a SNES Mini for cheaper than a GBA + FFVI Advance.

The game seems to only be around £8-£10 on eBay and the restoration cart is £20 so it's not too bad. Would be £50 for the repro cart and a GBA SP. Whether that's worth it over the SNES version is another question. It is looking like the SNES Mini will be the best place to play the game right now, but I literally just bought and refunded one so buying another one so soon seems brash.

To be honest I might just take a gamble on the PS1 version. The PAL slowdown shouldn't be that much of an issue, right?

All this is really making me frustrated with the way SE is handling these older releases; why they aren't available on modern consoles in their original forms with basic fast-forward and save state options is beyond me.

Oct 25, 2017
Lol. Kitase and Shibuya on the flute too. Wonder if they learned for the concert or actually play.

Don't know who the woman of the melodica is. She's rocking a bit of an advanced instrument though, so I'd assume a musical role.

Ultimania Vol.1 is due to arrive tomorrow! Anyone got their copy early?

Mine's "Out for delivery", but still says tomorrow. Guess I'll see when the mail comes, but I don't have my hopes up.

Last edited:

Enthus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Ultimania Vol.1 is due to arrive tomorrow! Anyone got their copy early?

Mine came in today! It's not coming out of the shrink wrap, however. Amazon saw fit to package it loose in the box with no padding whatsoever, so now every corner and the spine is bent in and dinged to hell. My replacement arrives Thursday, and if I have this issue again I'll just return it too and buy from a better retailer. I've had better quality packaging with clearance dollar books from third party sellers than I've had from Amazon itself in the past few years.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
My Ultimania vol 1 just arrived.

But before I open the box, I wanted to check if there were any opinions first. What I've understood over the years is that Ultimania gets into the concepts and details of each FF game, which is what I'm hoping for. If it's more of a glorified artbook that's no different from The Sky (which I already own), then I may have to rethink things.

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
Dragmire

I adore the way you have set all of your figures up lol
EikoCaos1476123990.jpeg

best pic I could find (not mine).
I really want to order both of these. I missed out on the kickstarter because I was busy at the time. How are both books?

Thanks! I really love the detail on the Tidus statue and it's one of my favorite figures. I wish I had some others from the line. The Squall one is okay but something is off about the facial design while his Kotobukiya figure is more accurate so I wish he had something like the Tidus Play Arts.

Oct 25, 2017

But before I open the box, I wanted to check if there were any opinions first. What I've understood over the years is that Ultimania gets into the concepts and details of each FF game, which is what I'm hoping for. If it's more of a glorified artbook that's no different from The Sky (which I already own), then I may have to rethink things.

There's character bios, story synopsis, character relationship charts, and maps. There's also info on the planning stages of all the games and info on all the different releases of each game.
There's a ton of art too. I've just skimmed through it though. I don't think it's on the level of the Ultimania Omegas where it gets into details that aren't in the games.

Wulfric

Oct 25, 2017

Yup, it was the Ultimania Scenario (and Battle/Omega) books which have all the story info. These have simple character relationship charts and some pixel grids.

I'm not complaining, but I wish they had a few more interviews or lore sprinkled in. If you have The Sky, you have about 75% of the content of this book.

lazybones18

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
All-Star Carnival mini-update:

My initial party of Rydia/Terra/Cloud/Vivi have finally reached max exp on all characters. Time to retire them and move on to a new party: Villains! Going to use Exdeath/Cloud of Darkness/Ultimecia/Gabranth next. I have one villain left to unlock via crystal shards and it's Chaos. Hopefully I get him next time. And it looks like they added a brand new playable character: Mog from VI. Got him immediately when I had enough shards. Have 20-22 characters left to unlock via shards but even then I still wouldn't have a full roster

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
Opus VI seems lazier than earlier Opus. There are repeating cards in here, literally marked with their current number and their previous number.

Jan 11, 2018
I randomly decided to compare gameplay footage from the PAL version of Chocobo Racing to the original Japanese release and was surprised to find out that the game has actually been speed optimised (flashing lights, animations and such are still 17% slower but the race speed itself is the same). Considering Square did not bother to do this with any of their bigger titles I didn't expect this to be different. Not that the game is any good, but still... :D

Oct 25, 2017
0htB9pt.jpg

14th FF Platinum get.
1 to go.

Got my first trophy in this game on October 2, 2013. It's been a long time.

Completed
Final Fantasy VII
Final Fantasy IX
Final Fantasy X HD
Final Fantasy X-2 HD
Final Fantasy XIII
Final Fantasy XIII-2
Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII
Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age
Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn
Final Fantasy XV (plus all DLC trophies)
Monster of the Deep: Final Fantasy XV
Final Fantasy Type-0 HD
World of Final Fantasy
Adventures of Mana (still Final Fantasy Gaiden in Japan)
A King's Tale: Final Fantasy XV (no platinum)
Crystal Defenders (no platinum)

Left
Dissidia Final Fantasy NT

Last edited:

Encephalon

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
I thought I would play fft with a summoner and a chemist, rather than a white mage, and I'm beginning to think it's less than possible. I don't remember the game being this hard.

Last edited:

Encephalon

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
I didn't remember the Wiegraf fight being quite this terrible. Even with auto potion healing me to full every time, counter is a guaranteed death sentence. He even counters jump.

What were they thinking?

Deleted member 20603

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I thought I would play fft with a summoner and a chemist, rather than a white mage, and I'm beginning to think it's less than possible. I don't remember the game being this hard.

I always invested in Monks early game, because they're not expensive to equip and they have good distance attacks. A good Monk secondary skillset is the Squire, so you can Accumulate when you aren't in range to attack. Summoners and chemists should stay back and support from behind. Let enemies group up around a tank and use a summon to hit all of them, conserving MP.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
It makes sense, MMO's rely on a steady stream of $10-$15 monthly subscriptions from a fairly small number of players (in the grand scheme of things), mobile games have a dramatically larger base and can have players spend anywhere from $0-limitless amounts of money, many spend thousands, some even tens of thousands.

Brave Exvius and Record Keeper also make astonishing amounts of money.

Jan 11, 2018
Yeah, but this particular mobile game is just awful. It makes All the Bravest look good. It barely even has anything to do with FFXV.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
I look at Square's MMOs and Mobile games the same way, i don't care about them, they aren't for me, but i'm happy other people like them and they give Square Enix money to make the games that i do care about like FFXV, Nier Automata, Dragon Quest XI, and KH3.

Jan 11, 2018
I look at Square's MMOs and Mobile games the same way, i don't care about them, they aren't for me, but i'm happy other people like them and they give Square Enix money to make the games that i do care about like FFXV, Nier Automata, Dragon Quest XI, and KH3.

I agree with you - in general. But I'd rather see more worthy mobile games like Brave Exvius reap higher rewards than soulless exploitative rubbish like A New Empire.