• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Are these characters added to the story? Or just simply new Champion medals?

They're being added as playable characters that replace Lann and Reyn in the party. So not summons like the Champion Medals. Not sure how it's gonna work. Might be tied to the medals or something. I don't think there's been any news if there's any new story.

demu

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
I think it's almost that time for me to play Final Fantasy IX again.
I think you're right!

On another note, I just finished FFXII: TZA for the first time and got the platinum as well. Which honestly wasn't really hard, but kinda tedious at the end with finding all those rare monsters. I gotta admit though, I cheesed Yiazmat hard. After a while he just couldn't do any damage to me anymore with his physical attacks. Really weird. Still took me over an hour with x4 speed.

All in all I enjoyed the game, but I didn't really care much for the story and their characters. I know it's almost a meme at this point, but boy, Vaan is bland. Maybe I didn't pay enough attention (me taking a 10 month break between the first ~5 hours of the game and the rest might be a factor as well), but I have no idea who he is.
The Gambit system is pretty fun, I just wish you could easily swap different Gambit profiles or something. I really liked how you could exploit the game mechanics to make some boss battles cakewalks (Zodiark in 15 seconds; the 100th trial in two attacks). Always fun.

Oh, and the OST is really good. Finally I can put it in my playlist. :)

Oct 25, 2017
I think you're right!

On another note, I just finished FFXII: TZA for the first time and got the platinum as well. Which honestly wasn't really hard, but kinda tedious at the end with finding all those rare monsters. I gotta admit though, I cheesed Yiazmat hard. After a while he just couldn't do any damage to me anymore with his physical attacks. Really weird. Still took me over an hour with x4 speed.

Yeah. Wither is super over powered. If you use it enough, the enemy's attack gets so low it's practically non-existent. Real nice for Yiazmat to deal with his enraged state towards the end of the fight. Almost needed for Omega to cushion his super over powered attacks. Also very nice in that final Judge battle in trial mode. I don't know how I'd be able to win without it there. It's still tricky with it.

ULTROS!

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Alright, I was notified that people were complaining that I don't update the OP anymore and I'd like to change that. What would you guys like to do keep the OP alive?

I could think of a monthly playthrough of a selected random FF game and updating the progress report here. If you want, we can start on the 15th and select a not-so-long FF (preferably below 20 hours) for this month, and I can put a poll.

Ishiro

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Lebanon
Alright, I was notified that people were complaining that I don't update the OP anymore and I'd like to change that. What would you guys like to do keep the OP alive?

I could think of a monthly playthrough of a selected random FF game and updating the progress report here. If you want, we can start on the 15th and select a not-so-long FF (preferably below 20 hours) for this month, and I can put a poll.
As suggested on Discord, it would be cool to have an OT title.

My proposition: Final Fantasy Community |OT| Turn Based Is Dead, Deal With It

Deleted member 426

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As suggested on Discord, it would be cool to have an OT title.

My proposition: Final Fantasy Community |OT| Turn Based Is Dead, Deal With It
I really like "My favourite FF could beat up your favourite FF" as an OT title, that was suggested in the discord and really captures the spirit of the FF fan base.

I like the idea of a monthly Let's Play a lot! We shouldn't specify a certain version though, that way people can talk through their different experiences. We should also say it's not compulsorary to finish or even attempt to finish the game, otherwise people will be put off.

It would be nice to have a monthly spotlight game where one person a month could do a little blurb on why they think a certain FF game is great. We could set a word limit and then take volunteers. That way it's not all on you. I'd be happy to do one on one of the Spin offs, I'm sure wazzy would be up for doing VIII.

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
Oooooh, I'm up to chapter 12 in FFXV. That was fast. Isn't this the much maligned chapter that supposedly destroys one's will to live? I'm morbidly excited. This game is so trashy and yet I still can't hate it???

Jan 11, 2018

After endorsing and promoting Final Fantasy XV, later also adding a Terra Battle cross-over, and now being happy to generate hype for the Final Fantasy VII Remake - yeah, I think he's coming back to Square Enix at some point within the next couple of years, maybe bringing Mistwalker with him in some capacity.

Deleted member 511

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I know Valdei had some nice graphics that you could use for the OT.

BocoDragon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm in Korea right now and it's easy to find used PS3 Korean copies of FFXIII and XIII-2... can anyone confirm to me that these are the same "Asian" releases of the games that will play Japanese VO/music with english subtitles?

The only information I can find on the net is about the Chinese release, but that one has Korean subtitles on it too, so I think/hope it's just the same disc that defaults to the PS3 system language?

ULTROS!

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm in Korea right now and it's easy to find used PS3 Korean copies of FFXIII and XIII-2... can anyone confirm to me that these are the same "Asian" releases of the games that will play Japanese VO/music with english subtitles?

The only information I can find on the net is about the Chinese release, but that one has Korean subtitles on it too, so I think/hope it's just the same disc that defaults to the PS3 system language?

Basically the Asian editions are the English versions but the O button as the confirm button.

Jan 11, 2018
Basically the Asian editions are the English versions but the O button as the confirm button.

That's not what s/he was asking. The Asian English releases have Japanese VO and English (+ Chinese) text. To the best of my knowledge, the only physical copies that do so. So I wouldn't say they are the same as the English versions, which all have English VO.

I'm assuming the Korean version will have Korean subs only. Unlike the general Asian releases there's no reason to provide any English options.

BocoDragon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So objectively superior? ;)

That's not what s/he was asking. The Asian English releases have Japanese VO and English (+ Chinese) text. To the best of my knowledge, the only physical copies that do so. So I wouldn't say they are the same as the English versions, which all have English VO.

I'm assuming the Korean version will have Korean subs only. Unlike the general Asian releases there's no reason to provide any English options.
The thing is that the Chinese release definitely had English and Korean subs (which you'd think it wouldn't need either).

That's what leads me to think the Chinese version = Asian version = Korean version as far as the data on the disc is concerned.

I might just buy it and see, and I'll report back so someone on the internet has confirmed one way or the other.

But if someone could stop me before I do with knowledge one way or the other, it would be appreciated.

Last edited:

ULTROS!

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My Asian Edition doesn't have Japanese VO. It's English VO and Text only.

Do you happen to see the rating at the bottom left? My Asian Edition has none (SEA release).

BocoDragon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Do you happen to see the rating at the bottom left? My Asian Edition has none (SEA release).
Maybe it just isn't the Asian version I'm looking for, then. Actually your Asian version might be data identical to the North American release, since I think O and X are actually switched in software based on hardware region.

I guess I really want the version which is data identical to the mainland Chinese release....? This is complicated.

As I remember, the version I am looking at picking up had a Korean game rating whatever that was.

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2018

There are often multiple Asian editions.

My copies:

OOKIoVe.jpg

Japanese VO and English text.

Oct 25, 2017
Just got the 300 wins trophy in Dissidia NT. That was an ordeal. 122 hours in and I still need to do the big Treasure grind.
Soon I will have every single FF trophy.

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
Is XV pocket edition worth it if I've already played the standard game? I don't know if I can handle the art style though (the reason I can't play WOFF). Also, is there a guide to OP your characters in X!!? I'm pretty far into the game but got hit with a tough difficulty spike and I don't think I've played the game right at all, as far as the job system is concerned. I don't really know what I'm doing.

Oct 25, 2017
Haha. Let me play you more online and you can solidly kick my butt some more! :)

loooool
You're SuperPhil or whatever?
I was feeling really bad cause you kept getting teamed against me and other humans with 2 AI allies. Same thing was happening to me all day the day before.
I don't think I'll be playing online anymore though. I don't really enjoy competitive play very much. I just get mad lol.

Oct 25, 2017
So it's come to my attention that several FF novellas that were never translated into English are finally getting official releases.

Final Fantasy VII: On the Way to a Smile (This is the one with all the "Case of" short stories)
Final Fantasy VII: The Kids are Alright: A Turks Side Story
Final Fantasy XIII: Episode Zero -Promise-
Final Fantasy XIII-2: Fragments Before

I just pre-ordered all of them. Only available in paperback in English it seems. I expect we'll be getting Fragments After too.

Yep! SuperPhillip's me. I like to think my AI allies pick up my slack when I play. :D

Naw. You're way better than AI. I was just cheesing you with Firion lol. His long range attacks are really good against human players I find.

Last edited:

Dragmire

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Final Fantasy VII: On the Way to a Smile (This is the one with all the "Case of" short stories)
Just in time for the 10th anniversary. But where did you pre-order them.? Some of the pre-order links only have the first XIII book but not the one for XIII-2.

Deleted member 426

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Okay, thanks. I should have picked it up when it was on sale.
It's a very different game, but the story is surprisingly faithful, like almost too close to the original.

Given the over simplicity of the gameplay that leaves the whole experience quite stale.

It's not awful, it's not even bad! Just wanted to make sure you had set expectations going in.

Oct 25, 2017
Just in time for the 10th anniversary. But where did you pre-order them.? Some of the pre-order links only have the first XIII book but not the one for XIII-2.

I found them all on Amazon.
Final Fantasy VII: On the Way to a Smile - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1975382358/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Final Fantasy VII: The Kids are Alright: A Turks Side Story - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1975382366/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Final Fantasy XIII: Episode Zero -Promise- - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1975382404/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Final Fantasy XIII-2: Fragments Before - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1975382374/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They're all being published by Yen Press, so you can also find info on their site.

BocoDragon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So it's come to my attention that several FF novellas that were never translated into English are finally getting official releases.

I just pre-ordered all of them. Only available in paperback in English it seems. I expect we'll be getting Fragments After too.

Naw. You're way better than AI. I was just cheesing you with Firion lol. His long range attacks are really good against human players I find.
Oh man are we gonna get that FFX sequel novel where Tidus' head
explodes
or whatever?

Edit: I guess it was an audio drama

Dragmire

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
They're all being published by Yen Press, so you can also find info on their site.
Thanks. Yeah I went to the site and didn't see the XIII-2 book or much info yet. They do have samples of that VII book though.
I expect we'll be getting Fragments After too.
And hopefully the other smaller ones like Tracer of Memories.

I bet we'll get a translation of that FFX book too.
ezgif-2168112475.gif

Edit: Beaten. haha

Jan 11, 2018
We talked about this in the Discord chat the other day, but as far as I'm concerned both -Will- and X-2.5 are "what if" scenarios for a proposed sequel (one that they've more or less aid won't be happening). In other words, not canon unless we get X-3.

Deleted member 426

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We talked about this in the Discord chat the other day, but as far as I'm concerned both -Will- and X-2.5 are "what if" scenarios for a proposed sequel (one that they've more or less aid won't be happening). In other words, not canon unless we get X-3.
For me they're definitely canon (and the audio drama in particular a great set up!) that they never got round to doing anything with.

Deleted member 511

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Didn't the novel get horrible reviews on JP Amazon? I honestly wouldn't be surprised if the novel gets thrown out completely while some of the aspects of the audio drama are changed if there is ever a X-3.

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
So a couple things we discussed in the Discord and would recommend for the OP:
-Don't put massive logo's with big descriptions of each game and an opinion piece. This is a community thread for fans of the series and if anyone new is joining a small description should be plenty since many of us can answer questions.
-Make banners that can simplify information underneath them especially ones that group games together so the OP isn't so bloated.
-Link to other OT's for the series that can act as more informative threads for people looking into individual games such as XV, XIV, FFRK, FFBE, etc
-Valdei had a great Logo that you can follow a specific color scheme for other banners since the one I posted was meant to be temporary until we had a new one made
-OT title sounds more appropriate for a XV thread. Should be something that is inclusive of the whole series since there is more than just mainline games.

These changes would really help the community thread imo.

JMTF

Aug 27, 2018
That ball with spikes on Mobius FFX event cutscenes is the head exploder? or a normal ball?

Oct 25, 2017
Well, there's no such thing as "for me" when it comes to canon. It either is or it isn't.
As officially published media, they are canon unless stated otherwise by SE or contradicted by higher forms of canon such as a X-3.

Jan 11, 2018
You can still dismiss it. X-2.5 has never been released outside of Japan and has largely been ignored by Square Enix since it's release due to its poor reception. I also don't believe adding a cheap cliffhanger to a game that basically had a happy ending and then saying "but we've got no plans to follow this up" signals "this is how we intend for the story to end" either.

I mean, Cinderella 2 and 3 are technically "canon" - but who in their right mind acknowledges that kind of rubbish? We're all content with enjoying the Disney classics and ignoring the sequels. :P

Deleted member 426

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You can still dismiss it. X-2.5 has never been released outside of Japan and has largely been ignored by Square Enix since it's release due to its poor reception. I also don't believe adding a cheap cliffhanger to a game that basically had a happy ending and then saying "but we've got no plans to follow this up" signals "this is how we intend for the story to end" either.

I mean, Cinderella 2 and 3 are technically "canon" - but who in their right mind acknowledges that kind of rubbish? We're all content with enjoying the Disney classics and ignoring the sequels. :P
Plus for me I LIKE the audio drama and the novella. Or at least I like what the plot was trying to do.

Expanding on the bevelle and Zanarkand War is done in an interesting way, and the summoned alternate besaid is cool too. Really it's jist Tidus and Yuna who are annoying.

And in the audio drama, the stuff people dismiss as being out of character is clearly IN character when you read the subtext. Like Yuna has clearly abandoned Tidus BECAUSE she loves him (and the reasons are pretty easy to guess from the book). But people just don't seem to get that, which is bizarre.

Still major issues with a lot of the storytelling, but in terms of plot I really liked where they both were going.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
Man, I wish there were more (read: any) YT videos that deep dives into World of Final Fantasy. I really loved how that game was put together and played. Seems to have been waved off by most as a kawaii Pokemon knockoff when it's far from it. Hopefully more people pick it up when it releases next month and that it runs well on Switch.

And in the audio drama, the stuff people dismiss as being out of character is clearly IN character when you read the subtext. Like Yuna has clearly abandoned Tidus BECAUSE she loves him (and the reasons are pretty easy to guess from the book). But people just don't seem to get that, which is bizarre.
I'm not defending the novella, but it's probably because ignoring context makes things easier and funnier to hate on, which is something the internet loves to do.

Jan 11, 2018
Man, I wish there were more (read: any) YT videos that deep dives into World of Final Fantasy. I really loved how that game was put together and played. Seems to have been waved off by most as a kawaii Pokemon knockoff when it's far from it. Hopefully more people pick it up when it releases next month and that it runs well on Switch.

It's closer to Kingdom Hearts without Disney and Final Fantasy replacing the latter's huge presence.