• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP

Deleted member 5853

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
OP
OP

Deleted member 5853

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New clipping. album "There Existed an Addiction to Blood" coming 10/18/19

clipping-teaatb-3600px.jpg

Their third album for Sub Pop, There Existed an Addiction to Blood, finds them interpreting another rap splinter sect through their singular lens. This is clipping's transmutation of horrorcore, a purposefully absurdist and creatively significant sub-genre that flourished in the mid-90s. If some of its most notable pioneers included Brotha Lynch Hung and Gravediggaz, it also encompasses seminal works from the Geto Boys, Bone Thugs-N-Harmony, and the near-entirety of classic Memphis cassette tape rap.

The most subversive and experimental rap has often presented itself as an "alternative" to conventional sounds, but Clipping respectfully warp them into new constellations. There Existed an Addiction to Blood absorbs the hyper-violent horror tropes of the Murder Dog era, but re-imagines them in a new light: still darkly-tinted and somber, but in a weirder and more vivid hue. If traditional horrorcore was akin to Blacula, the hugely popular blaxploitation flick from the early 70s, Clipping's latest is analogous to Ganja & Hess, the blood-sipping 1973 cult classic regarded as an unsung landmark of black independent cinema, whose score the band samples on "Blood of the Fang."
EB8GY6qU8AAO8FA

Deleted member 29857

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
That Jay-Z v Nas topic made me listen to Nas' discography again.

Affirmative Action still goes hard, how the hell did the Firm flop?

Nabs

Oct 26, 2017
That Jay-Z v Nas topic made me listen to Nas' discography again.

Affirmative Action still goes hard, how the hell did the Firm flop?
Probably not pop enough. It was the Diddy era, and was released a week before Mase's Harlem World. Shit, I bought Mase's album instead of the Firm.

I think the album still went Platinum, It just didn't meet whatever wild expectations were set for them. I think the mafioso angle kinda limited what kind of songs they could pull off. It's a shame, because Trackmasters just came off IWW/Mr. Smith/Ill Na Na. They had it in 'em to knock this one out the park.

Catvoca

Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of the Firm, apparently AZ put out a mixtape earlier this year?? I'm listening to it now and it's kinda fire, he can still spit.

HiResDes

Oct 25, 2017
Feel like balancing out the new energy coming in from this thread being pinned. I guess you could say I'm applying for asylum to here from indie era which totally flatlined this year.

Rap AOTY so far for me is the new Billy Woods. Overall probably would be Weyes Blood.
Good shit love both, really feeling this Lingua Ignota album too thiugh

lacer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Danny Brown's on twitch again. the album is apparently done. jpegmafia is on it

Deleted member 2779

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I return to XXX more than his later stuff but I'm still day 1 for new Danny. It's official that it's produced by Q-tip aye?

Deleted member 2779

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm seeing brockhampton early next year and these new songs aren't inspiring me, what is up with the goofy ass beats?

enzo_gt

Oct 25, 2017
So.. how do we feel about Diddy's son? Bruh got in the news for his dad dating his ex or whatever it was and these songs/videos dropped with the QUICKNESS. NSFW. It's too early to do throwbacks to one of your dad's most iconic videos. This marketing campaign is strange as fuck.

I don't know how many more awful Yung Miami features I can take, y'all. The sheer power of the raw ratchetness holding up the City Girls is palpable.

Fevaweva

Oct 30, 2017
I wish I could get into Jpeg Mafia. I have tried so many times but his music just doesn't vibe with me, which is a shame because he seems like an incredibly talented man with a cool sense of humour.

tellNoel

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, Bon Iver is my number 3 album of the year.
It's just so good. I keep returning to it and liking it more and more every time

Deleted member 29857

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Probably not pop enough. It was the Diddy era, and was released a week before Mase's Harlem World. Shit, I bought Mase's album instead of the Firm.

I think the album still went Platinum, It just didn't meet whatever wild expectations were set for them. I think the mafioso angle kinda limited what kind of songs they could pull off. It's a shame, because Trackmasters just came off IWW/Mr. Smith/Ill Na Na. They had it in 'em to knock this one out the park.
Kind of crazy that going platinum around that time was considered a flop, but yeah Bad Boy was dominating. Life after Death was released a few months earlier.

OG Kush

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wait, Diddy dated his sons ex? I'm not sure if that's getting sloppy seconds or literally Sonning someone.

Nabs

Oct 26, 2017
Kind of crazy that going platinum around that time was considered a flop, but yeah Bad Boy was dominating. Life after Death was released a few months earlier.
I almost forgot that 1997 was the year of Biggie, Mase and Puff. Biggie - March, Puffy - July, Mase - October. He absolutely owned radio and sales charts that year.

lacer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i'm almost positive The Firm didn't go platinum. also Nas giving Cormega the boot and bringing in... Nature?... was lame as shit

kai3345

Oct 25, 2017

These BROCKHAMPTON videos are going to be the primary ammo for 2020s op-eds about why hip-hop in the 2010s was so trash. They're going to be like edgy rap rock in the 00s that we can't believe we let happen and age like Unk's career.

Lil Tecca ft. Juice WRLD - Ransom (Remix).

unlike a lot of people i've been into the singles brockhampton have been putting out, but i'm not feeling this one at all

also that lil tecca remix is trash

Status
Not open for further replies.