• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

fireflame

Oct 27, 2017
Hello, as someonewho plays on pc I was wondering iif the game is worth it. It is available on Ps Now, is it good overall?

Putosaure

Oct 27, 2017
France
Super late to the party but loving the game, might be one of my favorites on the system. Just wondering, there's no way to hide the ugly text overlay indicating directions on top of those rocks right?

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You mean these?

EvanSquared

Nov 25, 2017
(probably stating the obvious, but...) That's actually what Aloy is seeing courtesy the Focus; removing those would kind of damage the world-building. Doesn't mean that you wouldn't prefer that, but that's not a HUD element for the player, it's a HUD element for the character.

Venture

Oct 25, 2017
Super late to the party but loving the game, might be one of my favorites on the system. Just wondering, there's no way to hide the ugly text overlay indicating directions on top of those rocks right?
if it's what they're talking about above, you can turn those off. It's second from the very bottom on the Custom HUD options: "Interaction Markers." You can set it to always off or to only show when you turn your Focus device on. This also affects other things, like the plant pick up indicators I think.

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Hey, I'm very late to the party but started the game last week since the trailer for Forbidden West looked so good.

I'm not a big fan of huge open world games and the map opening up after the first few hours already scares me and gives me some Ubisoft vibes that I really don't like. I've heard that Frozen Wilds is way better in terms of open world structure?

I was wondering if I can power through the main story as I'm mostly interested in the story and fighting huge mecha-dinosaurs or is there some side content I should absolutely do related to the lore? I'm playing on story mode and I really don't care about finding coffee mugs and cleaning bandit camps if it doesn't really tell me more about the world and why it is in the state it is.

SDR-UK

Oct 27, 2017
Hey, I'm very late to the party but started the game last week since the trailer for Forbidden West looked so good.

I'm not a big fan of huge open world games and the map opening up after the first few hours already scares me and gives me some Ubisoft vibes that I really don't like. I've heard that Frozen Wilds is way better in terms of open world structure?

I was wondering if I can power through the main story as I'm mostly interested in the story and fighting huge mecha-dinosaurs or is there some side content I should absolutely do related to the lore? I'm playing on story mode and I really don't care about finding coffee mugs and cleaning bandit camps if it doesn't really tell me more about the world and why it is in the state it is.

There are about 15 sidequests in the game that devolve into fetch quests but they are worthwhile just because of what they bring to the story at the end. The Hunters Lodge in particular is something worth doing.

Don't sweat it about collectibles and enjoy it at your own pace. The Bandit Camps are a side quest of sorts that introduces a pretty great character.

EvanSquared

Nov 25, 2017
For another perspective...the Hunters Lodge series of challenges is the one part of the game I didn't do. I definitely got the impression that it's a useful series of tutorials about weapons and tactics, but I tried a few of them and they just didn't interest me, while every thing else about the game I found fantastic.

I've come to loathe the Ubisoft game model - even the highly lauded last two iterations of Assassin's Creed turned out to be so overstuffed with pointless activities that I found them awful - but while Horizon's similar in theory, in practice I found its open world to be a real joy to interact with. It's not nearly as overpacked, and pretty much everything I did in it was something I wanted to do, which is a credit to how interesting I found the story, characters, environment, and world design to be.

If you don't find the world as interesting, there is a fast travel system - initially you can buy one-use fast-travel items, but later on you can buy an unlimited "Golden Fast Travel Pack" once you get to the largest city in the game. I got it, but only used it a couple of times when I was preparing for the end game, because every time I set out on a journey I'd run across all kinds of interesting things on the way.

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
There are about 15 sidequests in the game that devolve into fetch quests but they are worthwhile just because of what they bring to the story at the end.
Are those the Errands?

So there's nothing really adding something to the mystery of why the world looks like it does?

SDR-UK

Oct 27, 2017
Are those the Errands?

So there's nothing really adding something to the mystery of why the world looks like it does?

Thankfully you can gain all of that from the main story with tidbits of lore in one type of collectible (the flowers), the errands are just straight up tedium if I recall. Been a while, sorry.

The side quests are the ones where you're introduced to different characters and it all comes together at the end in a wonderful way. I'd recommend doing those for sure.

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Thankfully you can gain all of that from the main story with tidbits of lore in one type of collectible (the flowers), the errands are just straight up tedium if I recall. Been a while, sorry.

The side quests are the ones where you're introduced to different characters and it all comes together at the end in a wonderful way. I'd recommend doing those for sure.
Alright, thanks :)

Oct 25, 2017
is it possible to start the dlc withouth going throw the main game? i'm asking because i finished the main game on ps4, but i want to play the dlc in PC, so new account.

EvanSquared

Nov 25, 2017
The DLC's level-capped at level 30; I don't think it's even available until you reach that level, and it starts off with a fight that makes it very clear that it's not playing around.

lucablight

Oct 27, 2017
I started playing this on PS4 Pro and the game has crashed on me 3 times now. The console turns off like there's been a power surge and I have to physically start it again. Anyone know what could be causing the issue and how to fix it? I've already had 2 Firecuda drives die on me so I'm always worried it'll happen again.

Jun 29, 2020
Neverland
I started playing this on PS4 Pro and the game has crashed on me 3 times now. The console turns off like there's been a power surge and I have to physically start it again. Anyone know what could be causing the issue and how to fix it? I've already had 2 Firecuda drives die on me so I'm always worried it'll happen again.
on a pro and never had any issues completing the main game and DLC

you might want to open it up and clean it out with some compressed air

Oct 25, 2017
so just finished the game again on PC, this time with frozen wilds included, very good content on that expansion, the dialog seems way more polished, or the acting, not sure, CYAN is such an amazing feature.

I really didn't have any particular issue rather than performance, on ultrawide (3440x1440) i had it 45-60 the whole game sadly, but didn't find an option to make it work nice at 60 without making it look too blurry

Are there any side-quest that's worth doing for the Lore? i made a few random (like red-maw thurderjaw, the ancient armor, etc) that i came across but i don't want to spend time doing boring shit like collecting stuff.

Omanisat

Sep 25, 2018
North Bay, Canada
so just finished the game again on PC, this time with frozen wilds included, very good content on that expansion, the dialog seems way more polished, or the acting, not sure, CYAN is such an amazing feature.

I really didn't have any particular issue rather than performance, on ultrawide (3440x1440) i had it 45-60 the whole game sadly, but didn't find an option to make it work nice at 60 without making it look too blurry

Are there any side-quest that's worth doing for the Lore? i made a few random (like red-maw thurderjaw, the ancient armor, etc) that i came across but i don't want to spend time doing boring shit like collecting stuff.
The guy who drinks the machine blood.

Nov 4, 2017

I really enjoyed collecting the vantages, as it reveals quite a nice little story.

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thank the gods, the 1.03 has worked for me and I no longer have crashes. I blitzed through last night and completed the tallnecks and cauldrons, good fun. Now back to story, just arrived in Meridian.

Oct 26, 2017
oh, which one is that one?

It's called 'Acquired Taste'. There's a small house somewhere in the centre of the map (near some mountains?) where Brin gives a number of hunting quests.

The actual quests aren't that exciting, but the dialogue is worthwhile; the final one has a little teaser for the sequel:

"an onrushing storm... jungle on fire... you, fallen... eyes staring open. The metal world, but not the one I sought!"

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
I'm actually playing this for the first time on my PS4 Pro just recently (I couldn't justify buying the PC port when I've had the physical complete edition sitting unplayed for like a year or more). I'm not quite finished yet since I did what I presume is a near final story quest and then am now in the middle of playing the Frozen Wilds area, but I think the story is one of my most favorite in a long time. I find the whole backstory and everything fascinating and engaging. I like the combat and feel it lets you find your own strategies you prefer (since the way I tackle things are different from how others tackle things when I do searches and read combat suggestions).

I have to say, while I like the Frozen Wilds area itself and the story beats, being so late in the game I'm definitely not interested in doing the collecting in that area so that's sort of falling by the wayside. I also find the new machines introduced in the expansion to be some of the worst machines to fight. The two main ones, Scorcher and Frostclaw, are just unfun damage sponges that are way to aggressive with a propensity to spam rushing attacks. I don't find them at all fun to fight, and when a quest just recently threw three Frostclaws at me I nearly noped out of the Frozen Wilds completely to go finish the main game. I also think the much hyped (at the time) snow deformation is kind of waste considering the camera angle frequently hides Aloy's feet so I rarely see its effects anyway or notice it when animals or machines make it happen.

This is also not the kind of game I'm interested in 100%-ing anyway because the Hunting Grounds are stupid, so leaving stuff undone doesn't bother me (I can't imagine trying to hunt down all the scattered text logs around the overworld.)

In any event, fun game with an engaging story, but generally has the same pitfalls of other modern open world games in terms of quest design and repetitive collectathons.

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
went back to this recently after putting it down pretty early. I got hooked, finally getting powerful. I've unlocked all the tallnecks, gotten all the vessels, and some other stuff. I'm level 29 and I'm about to do the main story that's at the far west edge of the map. I like it so far.

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017

I've been leaving the errands alone and now that I'm over level 25 i'm very overleveled for all of them and they are easy because I can fast travel to their locations. They're good for XP and super easy usually.

LakeEarth

Oct 27, 2017
Ontario
Got the game for Christmas, but only got to pick it up a month or so ago. Loved it enough to get the Platinum. Things like the Hunting Grounds challenges weren't as bad as I thought they were going to be, although I was only playing it on default difficulty. All and all, a really fun and impressive game.

One thing I really didn't take advantage of were mounts. I would completely forget about them and would just run everywhere (if fast travel wasn't an option, that is). There was that one main mission that ends with you on a mount and I was like ... oh yeah....

Off to the Frozen Wilds! (this weekend, hopefully)

EvanSquared

Nov 25, 2017
Yeah, I skipped mounts, too, but that's true of every game I play, including Skyrim - I've walked the length and breadth of Skyrim a thousand times over. I guess the two exceptions to that are Red Dead Redemption (duh) and Ghost of Tsushima - the stamina meter's too punishing in Ghost to run around.

And Shadow of the Colossus. Three exceptions. (cue Spanish Inquisition sketch)

Rei Toei

Nov 8, 2017
Finally wrapped up Frozen Wilds yesterday - had been on my PS4 for ages and I had an absolute blast with HZ so no idea why I waited so long. Stupid reason, but I guess the snowy setting was putting me off a little - I liked the deciduous forests and jungle areas much more. But the Banuk where a cool tribe to get more exposure on. Enjoyed the story, the new region to explore and the added challenge of the new machines. Deep Din was a cool idea, the little 'Last girls on earth' story didn't doo much for me but the Kenny/Anita story was interesting. Also cool to learn more about Hephaestus via CYAN. Some surprisingly strong new characters too. I wonder if CYAN plays a role in Forbidden West or if other characters like Ikrie and Aratak will return (if any of the characters from the main game return, other then Sylens).

Deleted member 9306

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Hey guys! I'm loving this game (got it for PC), but....

I'm on "Deep Secrets of the Earth" and Sylens just told me that this was a point of no return. Does this mean after this I can't complete ANY sidequests/errands? Or will I just not be able to do the stuff with Vanasha?

I also asked in the PC OT. I'm just trying to make sure that I don't mess up the plot/story lol.

SDR-UK

Oct 27, 2017
Hey guys! I'm loving this game (got it for PC), but....

I'm on "Deep Secrets of the Earth" and Sylens just told me that this was a point of no return. Does this mean after this I can't complete ANY sidequests/errands? Or will I just not be able to do the stuff with Vanasha?

I also asked in the PC OT. I'm just trying to make sure that I don't mess up the plot/story lol.

It will temporarily lock you out of any sidequests until you're done with this somewhat linear mission. You'll soon be back out into the open world where you can mop up all sidequests.

Kalik

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
this thread should be a lot longer then 12 pages...combined with the PC release this is one of the better games of the past 5 years

Last edited:

SDR-UK

Oct 27, 2017
this thread should be a lot longer more then 12 pages...combined with the PC release this is one of the better games of the past 5 years

This game had much of its discourse and hype at the other place. It's a shame it didn't gain any steam here.

That said, roll on Forbidden West. Need to see GG unleashed on the PS5.

deliquate

Teyvat Traveler
Feb 25, 2021
Definitely the best game I've played in years. Though lately I'm just really appreciating stories about good, capable people doing their best in impossible circumstances. Probably a bit of wish fulfillment there. The quest when Aloy finally reaches
Zero Dawn
is probably the single best sequence I've ever encountered in any video game ever. And it was mostly listening to voice logs of strangers! I didn't care, I would have scoured every inch of that facility for one more voice log.

JoeNut

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Just read this is gonna be free as part of the play at home campaign thing like ratchet and clank. A truly great game and can't recommend the dlc enough it's brilliant

Oct 25, 2017
Silicon Valley
Looks awesome. Honestly I'm at a loss at how little (official) merch there is for some of Sony's leading titles.

Heck, why can't I buy an Astro Bot plush or figure? The only thing I remember being available was years ago and it was one of the generic bots from The Playroom - you know, the pack-in game that shows off the DualShock 4?

At least I have an Aloy figure and my Thunderjaw. Still wish I could have ordered a tallneck or one of the other amazing machines as a figure.

The Awesomest

Mar 3, 2018
I've started playing this, and I keep running out of space for resources, even though I have all the upgrades that let me hold up to 120 items. I hold onto at least one of every type of lens and heart in case I need them, plus a ton of crafting materials. Should I not do that? How do I manage my resources inventory?

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South
I've started playing this, and I keep running out of space for resources, even though I have all the upgrades that let me hold up to 120 items. I hold onto at least one of every type of lens and heart in case I need them, plus a ton of crafting materials. Should I not do that? How do I manage my resources inventory?

Honestly, resources are so plentiful in the game that methodically holding onto them is pretty counterproductive. I usually just keep crafting materials, paying a bit of attention to my most used ammo (stuff for the Hunter Bow and Blast Sling) and that's about it.

Ironically, the only materials that gave me some trouble were the animal pelts necessary to upgrade the inventory itself.

SlickVic

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Hope there's no harm in bumping this OT after a few months.

Anyways, just came back to this game after over 4 and a half years to finally play through the DLC before the sequel comes out. As expected, forgot most of what I should be doing for the combat. Ran into one of those 'fire bull' robots on the way to the DLC area and initially got confused at how little damage he was taking from my hits, before realizing I needed to be using the right elemental to weaken him first. It's been a while, but I think it mostly clicked for me after that.

Anyways, only did 1 side mission so far (Waterlogged), but I'm enjoying the DLC so far. Gildun was pretty charming throughout that mission, and I really liked reading and listening to the audio and data logs on Laura and Shelly. Reminded me how much I enjoyed that environmental storytelling in the main game, and getting a taste of what the old world was like. Looking forward to playing more of it.

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South
Anyways, only did 1 side mission so far (Waterlogged), but I'm enjoying the DLC so far. Gildun was pretty charming throughout that mission, and I really liked reading and listening to the audio and data logs on Laura and Shelly. Reminded me how much I enjoyed that environmental storytelling in the main game, and getting a taste of what the old world was like. Looking forward to playing more of it.

DLC vastly improves on most of the minor kinks the base game had. Much better sidequests, much better storytelling in general, with more captivating characters, better dialog and voice acting direction, etc. It feels like a more polished experience in general.

SlickVic

Oct 27, 2017
USA
DLC vastly improves on most of the minor kinks the base game had. Much better sidequests, much better storytelling in general, with more captivating characters, better dialog and voice acting direction, etc. It feels like a more polished experience in general.

Cool, feels like it's what I'm looking for right now, i.e. well done open world game but not super long (taking the DLC by itself). Really loved the base game back in 2017 (only game I ever got a Platinum for) but just never got around to playing the DLC until now, so looking forward to experiencing it all the way through.

Edit: Just wrapped up Frozen Wilds. Enjoyed the DLC overall, though perhaps not quite as much as the base game. Admittedly been a while since I played through Zero Dawn, but I remember really enjoying uncovering the story (and the 'past'). The overarching story of the DLC wasn't bad, but not nearly as engaging to me, though taking to Cyan at the end of the last story mission and learning about how she came to be were some of the highlights for me. I also liked most of the characters that were introduced in the side quests (particularly Gildun and the three hunters). Highlight of the combat for me was taking on the Daemonic Thunderjaw. I remember those being a lot of fun to deal with in the base game, and the daemonic version was a worthy battle.
Anyways, glad I finally got around to playing this before the sequel hits.

Last edited:

Kalik

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I started playing this on PC and have a basic question...I'm still very early in the game but the 2 machine types that I've encountered seem really easy to kill using just melee (spear)...I don't even need to use arrows to target the weak points on the Watcher and Strider machines...can the harder machines also be killed using just melee (I'm assuming I need to upgrade my Melee skill) or do I have to eventually use weak points/arrows?

Omanisat

Sep 25, 2018
North Bay, Canada
I started playing this on PC and have a basic question...I'm still very early in the game but the 2 machine types that I've encountered seem really easy to kill using just melee (spear)...I don't even need to use arrows to target the weak points on the Watcher and Strider machines...can the harder machines also be killed using just melee (I'm assuming I need to upgrade my Melee skill) or do I have to eventually use weak points/arrows?
You can kill anything with melee in theory. In reality killing some of the later machines with only melee will be a very difficult slog. The early areas are designed to ease you in.