• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

stumblebee

The Fallen
Jan 22, 2018
Just platinumed the game. Played through 3/4ths on Medium, experimented every now and again on the hardest difficulty, and the rest on Story difficulty to clear out this game from my backlog in time for DBFZ and Monster Hunter.

Man, I loved the story, and thought the game was graphically astounding. However, once I was done, I was pretty exhausted by the setting. I wish they did more with steel and brick. I got kinda sick of seeing wood being used for everything. When I started Monster Hunter, that first time you see the base was a breath of fresh air. That's the kind of setting I was hoping for with Horizon's major city areas.

I thought most of the side content (Side missions and Errands) wasn't too good. I also thought the way the dials on the damage, health, etc. were tuned on harder difficulties were a bit unfun.

Overall, I thought the story and visuals were A+ while the gameplay was probably a C. Feels like a really solid foundation for a GOAT sequel.

edit: Erend is also bae

Last edited:

Deleted member 36186

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 14, 2017
So a quick question:

Is the gear progression in this game linear?

Meaning, is new gear unlocked by my current level or is it possible to get high-end gear at the start of the game by going to specific vendors or doing certain quests?

(no spoilers please)

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Horizon won the 2018 Writer's Guild award for video game writing.

Last edited:

Venture

Oct 25, 2017
Always great to see some recognition for the Horizon team. Well earned.

Is it just me or did it seem like most of the audience were practically rolling their eyes at the idea video game writing? I don't know, maybe it's just a more subdued crowd in general.

DekuBleep

Oct 25, 2017
How do I get more inventory space? I am 5.5 hours in and constantly full. I have no idea what to keep that I might need later and what to sell.

Malcolm9

Oct 27, 2017
UK
How do I get more inventory space? I am 5.5 hours in and constantly full. I have no idea what to keep that I might need later and what to sell.

Go into the crafting section and you can increase your capacity for arrows, costumes, items etc if you have the right parts to make them.

In your inventory it will tell you if the items can be sold or if they are used for crafting.

EvanSquared

Nov 25, 2017
I spent an entire day doing all the hunting necessary to max out carrying capacity on everything; I did not regret that choice.

DekuBleep

Oct 25, 2017
Go into the crafting section and you can increase your capacity for arrows, costumes, items etc if you have the right parts to make them.

In your inventory it will tell you if the items can be sold or if they are used for crafting.

Thanks!

But how do I know If some rare item will be tradable with a merchant for a piece of OP gear later? I have a lot of things that are not for crafting but might be used for trading with merchants.

EvanSquared

Nov 25, 2017
I sold everything where the "Used for" description only consisted of "Trading with merchants" and/or "Selling for metal shards". I don't remember being bitten by that.

Malcolm9

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Thanks!

But how do I know If some rare item will be tradable with a merchant for a piece of OP gear later? I have a lot of things that are not for crafting but might be used for trading with merchants.

I sell anything that gives you shards only. Anything else I just look at the quantity I have as well as it's "Rarity", which you can filter on the item screen with options.

If I have 50 of something quite common I don't mind selling 10 - 20 as I'll easily refill them. When you look to buy armour, weapons etc from a merchant it will tell you what parts you need to trade towards them as well.

Last edited:

Deleted member 15538

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I can't check it at the moment but the game doesn't have an option to rewatch cutscenes by any chance? I only have the final mission left I believe but it has been almost a year so I'm a bit lost storywise. Love that feature in Yakuza 0.

bremon

Oct 27, 2017
Just started this game 3 days ago. I'm maybe 2 hours into it. I can already tell I'm in for a good time.

Ultra

Oct 30, 2017
Just started the game, complete edition. Took my sweet arse time in the kid-section getting use to the controls and the pathing systems.

When that transition from kid to adult hit to the music montage I know I'm in for a ride. Gonna go keep playing now :P

Dance Inferno

Oct 29, 2017
Currently trying to balance the Complete Edition and Bloodborne, two very different games. :p This game is my palette cleanser when I start to get stressed out with BB.

That being said, this is exactly the type of game that should suck me in (open world WRPG, dialogue choices, female protagonist, well-written plot), but the game is not grabbing me the way Witcher 3 did. I wonder if it's because I'm playing it in spurts? With W3 I basically played it non-stop for several months, a couple hours at a time, whereas here I'm juggling it with another engrossing game.

I dunno, maybe I just haven't gotten to the "good part" yet. I'm still relatively early, trying to hunt down the tribe that ambushed us during the trial. I assume I'm still early in the game?

Dance Inferno

Oct 29, 2017
I'm having a lot of trouble with the combat in this game. I just got to the the new area with crocodile robots and they are absolutely wrecking me. I'm playing on easy mind you and even in a 1 on 1 these guys are roughing me up. Any advice?

bremon

Oct 27, 2017
Rolling and Batman stealth and planning have been my crutches. Whistling and tossing rocks is slow but effective for dealing with groups. I'm 15 hours in, level 15, I have 6 unspent skill points, basically all of my carrying capacity 3rd tier or maxed. I've been sinking time into errands and side quests. I haven't finished "seeker at the gate" yet. Easily and quickly won a 2-on -1 sawtooth battle before I quit last night. Can't wait to see more robot creatures; absolutely loving the vantage points and in game lore I've found so far.

CodeRich

Alt-Account.
Banned
Mar 3, 2018
Questin about Aloy

since she is a clone of Elisabet Sobeck, does she have her genius?

Fright Zone

Dec 17, 2017
London
All that stands between me and the Platinum is the trials.

And I really dislike the trials.

I don't like anything that's against a clock, I find it to be far too stressful.
I've been playing this game two ways: picking off enemies from afar over long periods, or brute forcing them with melee attacks, so the trials that require actual skill are beyond me.

I've watched videos of how to clear them, but still can't do them, even though I'm level 60 with all the best weapons modded out.

Like the tying down Glinthawks: in the videos I'm watching they never get hassled by the bull things (tramplers?) but every single time I get a hawk down those fuckers attack me while I'm trying to get to it.

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
The Eclipse are the Cultists right? The ones from the beginning/prologue ending?

I also have thr grave hoard quest for the main storyline. How much do I have left?

I finished a quest where I found out about the old world and the machine origins. Loving the story, so intriguing

Last edited:

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
Man this game is so gorgeous. Driveclub's rain was the last game to really wow me, but the night time in this game is unreal. The way the moonlight shines through the leaves is a true next gen delight

I also just adore the art style. The indigenous style, the vegetation, the locales, the architecture.

While Im not so fond of the snowy areas, the jungle looks downright prehistoric. It's too bad its 30 FPS, I would think the Pro version would have had an option, but maybe we'll see Horizon 2 be cross gen with 60 FPS on PS5

Speaking of which, I keep thinking of all the insane potential for growth. Meridian is so well designed, but it pales in comparison to the size of Witcher's cities. I hope GG can surpass them in regards to the NPC, and busy-ness of a city. I hope for a much bigger map, and Id just love more to do. Imagine a fishing mini game catching robotic fish? Or some kind of way to purchase a robot for races or combat on top of mounts.

I think what puts Horizon ahead of Witcher for me is the combat though. And not just that, but the overall fluidity of Aloy. Platforming in Horizon is so damn enjoyable, yet completely absent in Witcher. I feel more immersed in Horizon, since Im crouching into grasses, climbing things, and the combat is much more punchier. I also love that theres no mini map, and that I can hide the entire HUD and bring it up briefly without pausing the game. Genius feature.

Melee sucks, but thats another area that could have insane growth

For a sequel, Id love to see like 3 cities that are like 10-20x the size of Meridian, with lots more NPCs....like a huge area that feels like an Assassins Creed game, or at least the size of Witcher's biggest cities.

And then sprawling wilderness-- wooded forests, deserts, snowy mountains... smaller settlements, more tribes, islands/swimming, caves. Oh man.

I imagine quests where choices matter, resulting in relations with tribes being affected like in Fallout New Vegas. And I hope they can manage to add more variety-- I love the machines but want them to feel like mini-bosses and bosses... Throw in a deeper melee system to make fighting humans feel just as meaty, and throw in real living animals like wolves, bears, etc., and then even throw in some kind of hybrid machine and biological creatures....

This would make combat personal (vs NPCs), grand (vs. Machines), and in between (wild animals). Melee could expand to include swords, blades, sticks, and combat could maybe include basic stuff like parries, charges, blocking, etc.

Sorry for the tangent, Im just so excited about what Horizon can do next. Im so intrigued by the story and indigenous stuff, and its exciting to be a part of a new IP from the start for once.

Coi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hey guys! I hava e little question here.
I just got the "Saved Meridian From its Foe" trophy (after Ersa death and helping in Meridian)
How far I'm from finish the game? I want to start the secondary missions for the platinum trophy.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Um what is the twist people say is pretty good? I maybe saw it but it was predictable so I'm wondering if there's a different one

z1yin9c

Nov 8, 2017
Um what is the twist people say is pretty good? I maybe saw it but it was predictable so I'm wondering if there's a different one

1. The machines are for terraforming.
  2. The AI is good (but maybe is wrong? that is a theory)....(I think gaia is the only AI, or at least much more advanced one)
  3. The Zero Dawn is not saving anyone.
  4. Hades is part of Gaia.
  5. A couple of apparently lame teenagers would survive and become main characters in other games dies asap......
  6. Most of good stories in games or any media are knocking you head to tell me that the world is just sad, depressing, everything thing sucks, all the people are bad, all the good people dies, don't do this, don't do that. Horizon story is just with a lot of sad parts but optimistic in the end
  7. The ultimate twist.... this game gives an answer, one is not lame at all.....The open world game that has the main story and world building combined beautifully.

Yes there are things that are predictable. But this is a really tight story. Some great parts of the story are those a player thinks if this story went there it would be great but nah it won't and then the story did it. From what I saw, almost every part of the story makes sense in this on-the-surface fantastical setting.

z1yin9c

Nov 8, 2017
Hey guys! I hava e little question here.
I just got the "Saved Meridian From its Foe" trophy (after Ersa death and helping in Meridian)
How far I'm from finish the game? I want to start the secondary missions for the platinum trophy.
I don't know when you did "Saved Meridian From its Foe". You could be pretty deep in the story or not. That was a condition mission if you can go to the final mission.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
z1yin9c Learn how to multi-quote, lol. "Quote" button under each post, then "insert quotes" next to the reply box...

TyrantII

Oct 25, 2017
Boston
Question: Anyone know a resource to figure out the optimal coil mods for each weapon / different optimal builds to shoot for?

I found some suggestions but nothing definitive on what the top combos are, since you typically hardcap with three Max rare mods.

EvanSquared

Nov 25, 2017
z1yin9c Learn how to multi-quote, lol. "Quote" button under each post, then "insert quotes" next to the reply box...
Today I learned something. I'd tried using the "+ Quote" link before, but didn't notice the [Insert Quotes] link then appearing - I'd only noticed that nothing was inserted in the reply box. So I've just been hitting the Reply link for each comment I was replying to, which essentially does the same thing.

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
Just started this recently and trying to get an answer without spoiling too much. Is the map the entire game? Right now, most of it's hidden, but I can scroll all the way to an edge in either direction. Is that edge the entire map or do more areas exist outside of that?

I'm pretty sure the DLC is a different map, right?

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Just started this recently and trying to get an answer without spoiling too much. Is the map the entire game? Right now, most of it's hidden, but I can scroll all the way to an edge in either direction. Is that edge the entire map or do more areas exist outside of that?

I'm pretty sure the DLC is a different map, right?
First question: IIRC, the map you see at the very beginning is just the starting area, and then after a story event the full map opens up? I could be misremembering though. Can you post a screenshot of what you see?
Second question: yes, the DLC is an extra map section.

Oct 25, 2017
Underground
Finished the Maker's End quest :). This is getting real interesting! The Deathbringer was very disappointing, though. Maybe it's because I've gotten good at the game, or because it was damaged already, but that fight was over way too soon. Also, am I getting close to the end?

On another note, corruption arrows are the shit. I put three corruption mods on the war bow and have been having fun randomly turning enemies against each other.

z1yin9c

Nov 8, 2017
Finished the Maker's End quest :). This is getting real interesting! The Deathbringer was very disappointing, though. Maybe it's because I've gotten good at the game, or because it was damaged already, but that fight was over way too soon. Also, am I getting close to the end?

On another note, corruption arrows are the shit. I put three corruption mods on the war bow and have been having fun randomly turning enemies against each other.

That is the first tease about answers. More than a third left, if your recommendation level is 10 lower, obviously.....

iFirez

Oct 25, 2017
England
Story time:
I played Horizon for about a week, roughly 8-10 hours of playtime last year but with BOTW hot on its tail I ended up stopping playing. Also in those 8-10 hours I had already gone too Meridian and skipped 70% of the side content. And was only level 14-15 ish.

Fast forward to earlier this week. I decided to pick up the complete edition of the game on the cheap and I dove in - starting from scratch. I'm now 13 hours in, level 23, just finished up in Devil's Grief and done all side content, collectibles... etc in this area. I'm way more invested and enjoying it much more than I was last year. I also tell you all one thing, Photo mode is addicting!

I can't wait to see how the story unravels. I had forgotten most of it and I know Lance Reddick is in this game somewhere so I just meet his character. Super integied by the story too, it's teasing some awesome things. Can you continue playing after the main story? If so I'll probablt leave Frozen Wilds until then.

EvanSquared

Nov 25, 2017
...I also tell you all one thing, Photo mode is addicting!
Damned straight it is - Horizon is the game that lured me down the rabbit hole of photo mode (followed by Uncharted: Lost Legacy and the Shadow of the Colossus remake). I've captured some decent shots, but I'm in awe of what some people have managed to do in Horizon, both in this forum and elsewheres.

Really hoping we get some news about a sequel at E3 this year; I may love other games more for specific aspects, but Horizon was easily, hands-down, my favorite game ever in terms of the overall package. The mechanics, the story, the writing, the graphics, the voice acting, the setting - so much of it is absolutely top-notch.

z1yin9c

Nov 8, 2017
Damned straight it is - Horizon is the game that lured me down the rabbit hole of photo mode (followed by Uncharted: Lost Legacy and the Shadow of the Colossus remake). I've captured some decent shots, but I'm in awe of what some people have managed to do in Horizon, both in this forum and elsewheres.

Really hoping we get some news about a sequel at E3 this year; I may love other games more for specific aspects, but Horizon was easily, hands-down, my favorite game ever in terms of the overall package. The mechanics, the story, the writing, the graphics, the voice acting, the setting - so much of it is absolutely top-notch.

Horizon puts the photo mode from gimmick status to fan required feature of any good looking game.

Edit: sorry I forgot multiple quotes function again.....

iFirez

Oct 25, 2017
England
Yes, after final mission, you will be put back just before final mission.
Frozen wilds is a section before final mission of main game
Sweet. I don't think I'll do the Frozen Wilds DLC until I'm there then.

Level 30 now and exploring the desert and jungles before heading to Meridian. Ran into some Thunderjaws and ran away like a little baby. I did finish another Cauldron though which was badass.