• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
When you let an inkling pick your stage attire:

And the song actually works well for the average Splatoon inkling too cause they're super picky, fighting turf wars just to fulfill their never ending lust for new threads and kicks. It's like a dystopia made up entirely of hypebeasts 😂

Last edited:

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
When you let an inkling pick your stage attire:

And the song actually works well for the average Splatoon inkling too cause they're super picky, fighting turf wars just to fulfill their never ending lust for new threads and kicks. It's like a dystopia made up entirely of hypebeasts 😂

Ahah loving it, this is indeed totally Splatoon's aesthetics!

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017

Songs covered:
Red Velvet - 빨간 맛 (Red Flavor)
Chungha - Roller Coaster
IZ*ONE - 비올레타 (Violeta)
ITZY - 달라달라 (DALLA DALLA)
TWICE - TT + Likey Likey
BLACKPINK - 마지막처럼 (AS IF IT'S YOUR LAST)

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
I can stop posting performances now. I just wanted them to wear the hats from the video. Now I'm satisfied:

OP
OP
llehuty

llehuty

Oct 25, 2017
Many weak comebacks recently, do we have anything decent coming up/to look forward to?
If you haven't liked the recent releases from Weki Meki, EXID, Bundit, Oh My Girl, Winner and Ladies Code and Davichi, I'm going to assume you won't like the upcoming releases from Lovelyz, Cherry Bullet, Got7, Katie, Hyolin, NCT 127 and Berry Good.

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
Just the fact Berry Good are having a comeback and haven't disbanded yet makes me feel the feels.
Angel was a masterpiece.

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
If you haven't liked the recent releases from Weki Meki, EXID, Bundit, Oh My Girl, Winner and Ladies Code and Davichi, I'm going to assume you won't like the upcoming releases from Lovelyz, Cherry Bullet, Got7, Katie, Hyolin, NCT 127 and Berry Good.
Yeah, seems like Sushi is a little picky. IMHO, there has been something for everyone lately.

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France

oj8fTir.jpg

It's finally coming, we have a date y'all! 13th of June here we goooooo~

JEKKI

Oct 27, 2017
awwwww yeay. Era's #1 EXID fan here to tell yallz about their new record.

It's good. It's real good. Like, their japanese album underwhelmed so much and after learning of their hiatus I wanted nothing more than for this album to blow me away as it very well may be the last we see of them.

glad to say... no disappointments here... it's everything I would have wanted from them!

Me & You is probably the worst song on the record, but all you ppl hating on it coz of the chorus or something are crazy.

Me & You is a song sang by 5 ppl where each members gets a substantial spotlight that sounds completely different than every other member on the track. That is brilliant. Even listening to the instrumental version of the song, it's like listening to 3 different songs! It's crazy!

Fin.k.l to reunite in 14 year through JTBC new variety show; I'm Crying T_T
https://www.allkpop.com/article/201...mbers-lee-hyori-sung-yuri-ok-joo-hyun-lee-jin
haha oh dang what?

I posted my puppy here back in March when I got her... I thought she was a boy but turned out to actually be a girl!

so I named her Finkl lol.

their reunion song however was not very good, which is why I dont really look forward to an EXID reunion. Like it's nice but the music just isnt the same... it's why I really didnt like current Sechskies stuff despite them being one of my favorite groups of all time.

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
Yeah, another easily-forgotten comeback. I wished girl groups would stop trying to emulate that innocent Jpop anime-like kind of sound so much and so often, or if they do, to finally grow from it at some point. Lovelyz is 5 years old, they deserve to explore other things musically, aesthetically, and concept-wise. They're not 14 year olds anymore. This is the reason I can't get into Lovelyz and Gfriend's music, mainly. I'm tired of watching 25 year olds having to act and sound like they're 14.

Last edited:

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
Pour one out for GFriend's lost Fingertip direction.

My fave song from them. They tried to emulate Kara, and that was a very welcome change, since Kara's sound doesn't exist much anymore.
But, ugh, yeah, then they want back to their safe sound.

It annoys me, Kpop didn't use to play it this safe before, did it?
You got SNSD who was litterally swithing sound & concept every 2/3 comebacks, but nowadays, lots of girl groups are stuck in a particular sound & concept for years and years. People like to promote Into The New World as that iconic sound, yet that wasn't the song that put SNSD on the map and created a national wave. What made them who they are, is the concept change they made with Gee/Genie, and then another concept change they made with The Boys and IGAB. They never really stayed in their lanes, and that's what made them interesting to follow.
Nowadays I feel like I get musical exhaustion from so many groups out there, producing the same music with the same concept over and over again.

Last edited:

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I wish groups would switch it up more. I disliked Apink for so long because they stuck with that boring, innocent sound for too long. "%%" was a breath of fresh air.

Right now I'm happy for OMG, but a little detached from their latest comeback because the song has no edge whatsoever. "Remember Me," had that ethereal, fairy like quality, but it also had a nice bounce to it with the dances and Mimi's raps. Now it's like they're going backwards.

Honestly, the only girl groups that have been switching it up a lot are DIA and CLC, but it hurt them because they didn't build their fan base first. You gotta do that then you can drop anything.

Twice and Blackpink will make hits not matter what. So they should really be experimenting right now. Twice is a little, now BP just needs a new producer.

Last edited:

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
Yeah I wish groups would switch it up more. I disliked Apink for so long because they stuck with that boring, innocent sound for too long. "%%" was a breath of fresh air.

Right now I'm happy for OMG, but a little detached from their latest comeback because the song has no edge whatsoever. "Remember Me," had that ethereal, fairy like quality, but it also had a nice bounce too it with the dances and Mimi's raps. Now it's like they're going backwards.

Yeap, I feel 100% the same way here.
Eung Eung is such a bop, this is the song that finally made me like Apink after trying to get into their music for so damn long.

And I agree about OMG as well, and it's maybe why SSFWL disappointed at first (while it's actually a solid song). I've been following them since Closer (which is the true GOTY of 2015), and I always loved them for their particular take on fantasy/innocent concept/sound, they had such upbeat and energetic songs but often sounded more daring and unique than others, and I really love that they were mainly getting their musical identity outside of the stereotypical Jpop/anime sound that you would normally have. Like Windy Day is such a UFO when you think about it, but it works so well and is so original and unique. And that is the sound that I like about OMG, they take a whole concept that is usually sort of easily boring/safe/bland, but twist it up and make it have an edge that others don't.

I enjoyed Remember Me a lot even though I don't think it's their best, but seeing them release SSFWL, which, arguably, is the most safe & bland Jpopish sound they ever did in their entire discography, was a huge letdown to me, especially when they are already so many groups having that same Jpopish sound in the first place, and when they already had that unique edge that made them different from all of them before, but kinda lost it there, in a way. Not entirely though, SSFWL has enough of an edge in its chorus still (I don't see Lovelyz nor Gfriend do that kind of chorus at all), but, yeah, the overall feeling at the time was disappointment still.

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
My fave song from them. They tried to emulate Kara, and that was a very welcome change, since Kara's sound doesn't exist much anymore.
But, ugh, yeah, then they want back to their safe sound.

It annoys me, Kpop didn't use to play it this safe before, did it?
You got SNSD who was litterally swithing sound & concept every 2/3 comebacks, but nowadays, lots of girl groups are stuck in a particular sound & concept for years and years. People like to promote Into The New World as that iconic sound, yet that wasn't the song that put SNSD on the map and created a national wave. What made them who they are, is the concept change they made with Gee/Genie, and then another concept change they made with The Boys and IGAB. They never really stayed in their lanes, and that's what made them interesting to follow.
Nowadays I feel like I get musical exhaustion from so many groups out there, producing the same music with the same concept over and over again.
If your basis is SNSD, I got some news for you.

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
No, I'm saying using SNSD as a baseline isn't good, cause most groups did not have the freedom or security to change it up like SNSD.

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
No, I'm saying using SNSD as a baseline isn't good, cause most groups did not have the freedom or security to change it up like SNSD.

I'm using SNSD because I believe the comparison with top-tier groups like Twice and Gfriend is absolutely fair and square. Granted, it might not be in the case of Lovelyz, but Woollim being a subsidiary of SM, I doubt they'll ever be in a dire financial position to begin with, they definitely could be way more daring than that.

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
A group like Twice, maybe. A group like Gfriend? Not at all.

You seem to forget SNSD was at the absolute pinnacle. The only groups with the freedom to change it up like them were 2ne1, T-Ara at their peak and Wondergirls. And none of them had the flexibility that SNSD had.

The only comparable top group of the current generation of GG are Mamamoo.

And even this place hates that Mamamoo said bye to their Jazz roots.

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
A group like Twice, maybe. A group like Gfriend? Not at all.

You seem to forget SNSD was at the absolute pinnacle. The only groups with the freedom to change it up like them were 2ne1, T-Ara at their peak and Wondergirls. And none of them had the flexibility that SNSD had.

The only comparable top group of the current generation of GG are Mamamoo.

And even this place hates that Mamamoo said bye to their Jazz roots.

SNSD was not the absolute pinnacle back when they switched their innocent concept, to the energetic cute as fuck concept that Gee was. At the time, Wonder Girls were ahead of them, and the concept change was what made them have unprecedented waves with the general public. Genie was what really cemented them, and yet again, Genie was another concept change as well. I personally absolutely did not care one bit about SNSD before Gee happened, while I was already a huge Wonderful, who were the Nation's GG at the time.

I strongly feel like Gfriend had the edge, popularity and money to maneuver a concept change akin to SNSD's when they were at their peak, but they didn't and stayed in their lane. Arguably ironic considering their entire concept at the time was "Debut-era SNSD". It's the same frustration I had with Apink, they never left their comfort zone all these years while they could have, they were incredibly popular for a long time. Thankfully, they still managed to pull it off with I'm So Sick/Eung Eung, but I feel like it could have been made years ago.

And I love everything about Mamamoo, their sound is always changing and evolving, that's what kept me engaged in them musically through all those years. You can feel them maturing, exploring, growing, and I love that.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017

Right now I'm happy for OMG, but a little detached from their latest comeback because the song has no edge whatsoever. "Remember Me," had that ethereal, fairy like quality, but it also had a nice bounce to it with the dances and Mimi's raps. Now it's like they're going backwards.

'I'm So Sick' was what made me pay attention to Apink, I didn't like '%%' as much, although it's still a bop but it was nice to see a group continue to move confidently into new territory.

Feels like Youngjae was the only one able to elevate his part in an otherwise bland song. Jackson continues to be detrimental to any music he's involved in.

Edit: Also most pointless dance break ever? It's got to be close.

Last edited:
OP
OP
llehuty

llehuty

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, the only girl groups that have been switching it up a lot are DIA and CLC, but it hurt them because they didn't build their fan base first. You gotta do that then you can drop anything.
You are answering your own questions there. Changing dramatically the concept has a high risk, and we see groups experimenting and seeing how it, more often than not, doesn't work.

Also, there is nothing wrong with groups having a trademark sound and not rocking the boat too hard. In any case, Oh My Girl have changed it up a lot across their whole career, while keeping some familiar elements now that they have gained some traction. They are, at the end of the day, releasing music and performing to earn money, and it would be a weird move to do a complete concept change now.

I enjoyed Remember Me a lot even though I don't think it's their best, but seeing them release SSFWL, which, arguably, is the most safe & bland Jpopish sound they ever did in their entire discography, was a huge letdown to me, especially when they are already so many groups having that same Jpopish sound in the first place, and when they already had that unique edge that made them different from all of them before, but kinda lost it there, in a way. Not entirely though, SSFWL has enough of an edge in its chorus still (I don't see Lovelyz nor Gfriend do that kind of chorus at all), but, yeah, the overall feeling at the time was disappointment still.

What are all these groups doing "bland jpopish" sound?

I guess Lovelyz Twinkle was heavily inspired by some Kyary Pamyu Pamyu music (which is so far away from being bland, but anyway), but other than that... I don't see it.

And in what way shape or form Oh My Girl's SSFWL is jpop sound (but please, point me to jpop groups that are putting out songs with that sound), and nobody else is doing music like theirs currently?

Also, why does every girl group have to do everything?, you have already plenty of groups doing "mature" concepts like Blackpink, Mamamoo, G-idle, Everglow and some other nugus people don't seem to care about. One of the main appeals from kpop is that different sounds and concepts are viable, IMO, instead of having to rely on "the trendy sound" to find success.

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
What are all these groups doing "bland jpopish" sound?

I guess Lovelyz Twinkle was heavily inspired by some Kyary Pamyu Pamyu music (which is so far away from being bland, but anyway), but other than that... I don't see it.

And in what way shape or form Oh My Girl's SSFWL is jpop sound (but please, point me to jpop groups that are putting out songs with that sound), and nobody else is doing music like theirs currently?

Also, why does every girl group have to do everything?, you have already plenty of groups doing "mature" concepts like Blackpink, Mamamoo, G-idle, Everglow and some other nugus people don't seem to care about. One of the main appeals from kpop is that different sounds and concepts are viable, IMO, instead of having to rely on "the trendy sound" to find success.

Most people describing the sound of those groups (Lovelyz, Gfriend and so on) would often say it "sounds like anime songs". I didn't come up with it, just a basic search through comments on the Internet would show as much. That's what I mean here. That's what I'm personally not always vibing with, but if that's your thing, enjoy. And I actually love Kyary Pamyu Pamyu, maybe because her music is paired with an eccentricity and with aesthetics that are so unique it can't be reproduced anyway. I'm more talking about the cookie-cutter Japanese idol groups here, and KPP doesn't enter that category for me.

I feel like the innocent concept can only last so long without feeling it's overstaying its welcome. Again, I don't mind when a group is debuting, full ot teens, and is doing it. It ain't necessarily my thing all the time (although it definitely can be if done in interesting ways, Oh My Girl & WJSN are good examples for that), but I understand why it fits in those case. But when those same groups, approaching or being well over 25 years old, are still doing the same concept and the same sound, I find that awkward, out of place, demeaning even. This is just my perspective as a woman, knowing full well what is the subtle message behind those concepts being pushed for so many years onto full grown women that should be able to detach themselves from it (and actually show they want to grow out of it, I mean look at Mijoo), but can't. You don't have any equivalent of that happening for Boy Groups much, and that's not a coincidence.

But I agree, diversity of sound in Kpop is what makes it appealing. But seeing groups grow and evolve musically is also a part of the appeal (and honestly part of the appeal of following any artist ever, Kpop or not), otherwise, again, the threshold of musical exhaustion is hit, at least for some of us.

Last edited:
OP
OP
llehuty

llehuty

Oct 25, 2017
I get were you are coming from

I think Lovelyz are cornered in this type of gentle concepts not only because of it being their sound and the fanbase they have, but because of the timber and tone of most of their lineup. I would agree that Mijoo is probably over their current concept, but I'm not sure if it's the case for the rest of the girls.

And as problematic as it is seeing girls (and also boys) in their mid-20s having to act innocent and pure is having underage kids doing over the top sexy concepts, and we are often ok with it if the song is a bop.

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
I get were you are coming from

I think Lovelyz are cornered in this type of gentle concepts not only because of it being their sound and the fanbase they have, but because of the timber and tone of most of their lineup. I would agree that Mijoo is probably over their current concept, but I'm not sure if it's the case for the rest of the girls.

And as problematic as it is seeing girls (and also boys) in their mid-20s having to act innocent and pure is having underage kids doing over the top sexy concepts, and we are often ok with it if the song is a bop.

Oh I definitely agree with you last statement here. Sexualizing minor is also a thing I greatly dislike in Kpop, whatever the gender, and as a whole we are ok if the song is a bop regardless of concepts. And the groups I talked about released several of them. But I feel like it should also be ok to talk about it, criticizing the things and pieces of media we love is a healthy mindset to have in my opinion. Either sexualizing or infantilizing can be pretty harmful in their own ways.

Last edited:

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, the only girl groups that have been switching it up a lot are DIA and CLC, but it hurt them because they didn't build their fan base first.

Concept/sound switch ups can lead to the fanbase fluctuating. Note, this is why Gfriend left the Fingertip sound behind, despite how good the song was. That wasn't what the *paying* fanbase wanted.

I'd hazard the female fanbase is more willing to stand by a group that's being more experimental. Note, Mamamoo, which has a larger female fanbase comparatively, seems to be able to switch concepts and sounds freely. Whereas, male fandom wants the same thing. Over and over and over. (This is all speculation and generalization, not gospel.)

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
Is SNSD just an anomaly then? The paying fanbase never left their side no matter the concept they put out there. I wonder what was the difference here. Surely if exploring new sound and concept wasn't profitable, SM would never have done it so much in the first place, and it paid off. I don't know, it's interesting to ponder here.

Also, sometimes it can be good to put out song that your paying fanbase might not be used to, in order to attract other fans? Surely if Gfriend had kept with the Fingertip sound, they would have attracted many new fans (myself included) that would have broadened their paying fanbase.

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
There's nothing ever guaranteed in the Kpop world.
But trying once, kinda failing (it wasn't a complete failure either, many GGs would only dream to have a failure like that) and giving up on it entirely as a result, feels like they barely gave it a shot.

Success in the Kpop world is fickle, and oftentimes barely amount to song quality/concept, but mostly to PR marketing and timing. Anyway, now it's just speculation, we will never know what could have been. Until they try again at some point, probably in a couple of years, à la Apink.

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I know it comes with risks, and OMG's new song is doing well so I clearly don't knows what's best. I'm just talking about what I like, which differs a little from waist is financially viable 😂

Status
Not open for further replies.