• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cHinzo

Oct 27, 2017
Sunrise sound like another hard crazy ass choreography, Can't wait for the Queen of Synchronization to prove once again why they are the best dance girl group ^_^

GFRIEND never disappoints with their songs. :D Looking forward to it. This is a full album right? There's so many songs on it lol.

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
If a group like G-Idle is being succesful, we can actually discard the name being any influence to the success of a group. CLC had a weak debut and an all over the place concept hopping. Some of them are pretty and hot but their personalities don't pop out at first glance.

It's sad that they are flopping, but I'm not surprised.

I mean, you could have figured that out with SNSD and TVXQ. The korean versions of those names are what you'd expect a 14 year old weeb tk come up with.

And then you got stuff like bts and mamamoo which are next level bad in korean

Ginta

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Just recently discovered this song (I'm familiar with Eyedi from Vlive, I just never listened to her stuff). Came out like a month ago and has less than 100k views, but it's great:

It's a crime that she flies under the radar, especially when we have so few solo artists staying in the focus, maybe it's just this thread tho. :p She stays near the top of my playlists, wish they would invest in a EP again, love her english versions and features.

Best of 2018 lists
OP
OP
llehuty

llehuty

Oct 25, 2017
I compiled all the top lists posts for 2018. You can access it from the thread Threadmarks function.

Let me know if it's missing something or something is wrong.

Also, while we are at it, final teaser for the next Ranking Poll
lAmHaLZ.png

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
Jvcki Wai finally got her #1 hit.

It was inevitable really. She's korea's most popular female rapper right now.

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
15? Man, gotta get at least Top 10 this year!

-------
I just saw something on Reddit about how Stellar made less than $10,000 per member in the span of 7 years! That's insane! I see why mid-tier idols always want to be actors. I'm sure a minor role in a TV show pays more than that in one season!!

Video is in Korean:

I understand that these companies have to spend a lot to promote their groups, and that they pay for their room and board for years, but idols should have a base salary. Like even if the group is a total flop--the members should be guaranteed at least $20,000 a year. That's still nothing, but it beats $10,000 over seven years which is honestly a joke.

We need a Patreon type system for small groups. 1,000 fans from across the world donating like $10 a month each could make a real difference. Smaller companies should look into other streams of revenue. Stellar had a few big Makestar drives. I know they could've gotten folks to subscribe to them monthly.

Last edited:

cHinzo

Oct 27, 2017
^Yeah that's awful to hear. Life's rough for small groups.

Liking this new GFRIEND song. Good to see other members than Yuju getting their high notes in for once. :d Gonna listen to the other songs on the album next. Might take a while with such a big album.

Also starting to warm up on the new WJSN song. Their live performances have been great.

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
Denimalz.

That's A new one alright.

Like that's up there with I-DLE in being bad off the rip.

I can't imagine what hangul that's supposed to be represented by to justify that name.

OP
OP
llehuty

llehuty

Oct 25, 2017
Is JYP going to shadow drop this group? Such a different approach to Twice's debut. I wonder where the change of heart comes from, sice they were planning on doing Sixteen 2. Maybe is the fact that some of their members are already "popular" that will put eyes on them by default? Really intrigued in any case about the size, concept an nationalities of the girls in the group.

Mamamoo's company debuted a boy group last week and I really like their debut song.

This year will probably be a bloodbath for boy groups, since BTS' company is also debuting a new one.

12 million views in 4 days, those kids are already set for life.

Oct 27, 2017
Finished my top list awhile ago and even made a video. Now La Vie En Rose is stuck in my head and it would have totally made my list if I waited. I'll prob start having a previous year mention of songs from now on.

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
This is going to be a weird year for K-pop. We're not even a month in and two groups that I couldn't stand have released songs that I . . . actually enjoy.

First Apink, now Gfriend. Is this the year of loss innocence? 🤣

Ginta

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
*unpacks soap to wash rascals mouth* How dare you say Apink just started making good music!

Five, Kok, Boom Pow Love, Oh Yes, Only One, NoNoNo, Oh You, Like!, A L R I G H T, they don't have huge following for just being cute.

LJKO

Nov 16, 2017
^Yeah that's awful to hear. Life's rough for small groups.

Liking this new GFRIEND song. Good to see other members than Yuju getting their high notes in for once. :d Gonna listen to the other songs on the album next. Might take a while with such a big album.

Also starting to warm up on the new WJSN song. Their live performances have been great.

SO GOOD, SO FUCKING GOOD!!!!!!!!

Peru

Oct 26, 2017
Completely obsessed with this, I'm afraid nothing else this year can compare:

This is her current chart-topper:

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
Mamamoo's company debuted a boy group last week and I really like their debut song.

This year will probably be a bloodbath for boy groups, since BTS' company is also debuting a new one.

12 million views in 4 days, those kids are already set for life.

VIXX's company also drop VERIVERY, and they have an old school pop R&B vibe that makes them stand out.

Two very strong debuts.

But g idle's name is pretty iconic. It is a pun to g idol (can be a reference grand idol, girl idol, greatest idol, you name it). The alphabet G is also pretty iconic itself because some singers use that alphabet like G-Sleazy. While clc.... i cannot relate with that name... like what is clc? What does it stand? Why are there too many consonants instead of combination of vocals and consonants (like AoA, or BoA, or Zia)?

It is still of course a theory, but if i were still in college i think i would have already done this research. What i am to say is i wonder if names (or maybe brand) can actually affect people's subconsciousn in a way that we do not realize

GIDLE killed it because the world was hungry for Blackpink and Blackpink adjacent was good enough. Luckily, they have the talent to back it up.

CLC needs a firm concept and a reason that you should pick them over TWICE, Lovelyz, Laboum, EXID, or whatever. Once you're successful, you can ride it, because popularity is its own engine: it really doesn't matter what BTS, EXO, TWICE, or Blackpink release, because their fanbases are built in. They can go up, but they'll mostly drop as a result of their fanbases aging out, and thus slowing down on album purchases and streaming.

K-pop (pop music, or commercial music in general) is a product. It's manufactured made and sold. To use a game example, we have Dark Souls. If you're not From Software, you can't just do Dark Souls again and expect to see the same success. You gotta add a spin. Ni-Oh is Dark Souls, but with a new aesthetic. Salt and Sanctuary is 2D. The Surge is Dark Souls, but scifi. You need to stand out to build an audience.

A bad concept can lead to soft sales or outright failure. BTS' original concept was this hard hiphop vibe.

It didn't really work. They took off once they did the The Most Beautiful Moment in Life songs: I Need U, Run, Young Forever, Save Me. That gave them a mythology, the songs were good enough, but what matter is they grasped at deeper themes and they were connected.

Another example is Dreamcatcher. Most of the members of that group were originally MINX. It didn't work. Nothing stood out about the concept. They added more members, and changed their songs to a darker concept with almost j-rock songs. That's a novel concept. Much better sales.

Larger labels can side step this, because the trust and novelty has been built on previous groups. Take TXT, Big Hit's new boy group. They're getting more attention than they would from a smaller label, because BTS is already a success and built trust. Same with NCT. But even then, most go out of their way to differentiate their groups. BTOB and Pentagon, GOT7 and Stray Kids, VIXX and VERIVERY above; the newer groups have a different sound from their predecessors.

TL;DR: CLC lacks a firm, unique concept to really build their audience.

·feist·

Oct 26, 2017
(G)I-DLE's First Ever Reality Show in San Fransico! | [To NEVERLAND] Ep.1

99AE33425C139B9D40

Yeah, they're still one of the more consistent groups performance-wise. It helps that their vocals, dance, group dynamic and visuals are among the best for groups of that type.

Still don't love the song, but there are parts that I've liked since my first listen.

[FreeMind] 우주소녀 (WJSN) - La La Love (Original Choreographer Version)

[Dance Practice] 우주소녀 (WJSN) - La La Love Moving Cam Ver.

[Dance Practice] 우주소녀 (WJSN) - La La Love Fixed Cam Ver.

Riversands

Banned
Nov 21, 2017
GIDLE killed it because the world was hungry for Blackpink and Blackpink adjacent was good enough. Luckily, they have the talent to back it up.

CLC needs a firm concept and a reason that you should pick them over TWICE, Lovelyz, Laboum, EXID, or whatever. Once you're successful, you can ride it, because popularity is its own engine: it really doesn't matter what BTS, EXO, TWICE, or Blackpink release, because their fanbases are built in. They can go up, but they'll mostly drop as a result of their fanbases aging out, and thus slowing down on album purchases and streaming.

K-pop (pop music, or commercial music in general) is a product. It's manufactured made and sold. To use a game example, we have Dark Souls. If you're not From Software, you can't just do Dark Souls again and expect to see the same success. You gotta add a spin. Ni-Oh is Dark Souls, but with a new aesthetic. Salt and Sanctuary is 2D. The Surge is Dark Souls, but scifi. You need to stand out to build an audience.
Sometimes i regret why i didnt use this topic for my writing class. I surely would get A

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
Nature aren't bad:

Concept wise it seems like a step back, but the cuteness works and the song is easy on the ears.

Then there's this:

I know nothing about this group, but this sounds tailor made for international fans. Although, a part of me feels like this sound would've made a bigger splash two years ago.

Last edited:

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
I don't want to spam with new videos, but I have to post this too.

At first I was like, "this is generic," then that drop and walking dance move made me smile. It's still not the most original thing ever, but it works.

Last edited:
OP
OP
llehuty

llehuty

Oct 25, 2017
I love that Favorite tune. Their 2 previous releases were really interesting but they missed the mark one way or another:

The darker sounding parts of their debut were amazing, but they don't mesh with the rest of the song.

Their second release probably has one of the best prechoruses I heard last year, but the chorus falls flat

But it feels like they are reaching their true potential in Loca, love how it sounds. Let's see if these takes them somewhere.

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
I never heard those songs. I really like the first one, but I agree with your take on the second one. The chorus just drops the ball big time. Gonna keep an eye on them now.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I have been listening more of Red Velvet this week, and I really love them, I can't get Bad Boy and Ice Cream Cake out of my head.

Sadly, I don't have the money to go watch them in concert this weekend, but well, nothing to do there

cHinzo

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, they're still one of the more consistent groups performance-wise. It helps that their vocals, dance, group dynamic and visuals are among the best for groups of that type.

Still don't love the song, but there are parts that I've liked since my first listen.
Yeah, I'm not too big of a fan of Exy's parts in this song, but the chorus and the choreography are great during the live performances.

Ginta

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Then there's this:

I know nothing about this group, but this sounds tailor made for international fans. Although, a part of me feels like this sound would've made a bigger splash two years ago.

Because it sounds like a mix of other songs? Where did they take that "loca loca loca" from? It won't come to my mind right now.

Really liking the new GFriend album, some more dance sounds and not just their usual "pure" stuff. Was sad that they had regressed back to their most popular style after Fingertip wasn't a massive success.

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
Because it sounds like a mix of other songs? Where did they take that "loca loca loca" from? It won't come to my mind right now.

Really liking the new GFriend album, some more dance sounds and not just their usual "pure" stuff. Was sad that they had regressed back to their most popular style after Fingertip wasn't a massive success.
I don't know. But the song kinds of reminds me of KARD and G-(IDLE).

Status
Not open for further replies.