• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
I really hope for Red Sun to amaze me. I really really loved Puzzle Moon so much, replayed it hard when it got released. Then I got disappointed over Pinky Star which tried to recreate Puzzle Moon but was just too... much. There's literally no time to breath in that song, it overwhelms me a lot, in a bad way. It was gonna be difficult to follow up after the perfection that Puzzle Moon is to me though so maybe that's why. But I love they're consistent with their sound and concepts, they have a real identity and I appreciate that.

---

The 1st time I heard Kpop being broadcasted in a public place in France was in a Sephora in Paris a few years back. They were playing SNSD's Dancing Queen, and it was so weird to me to feel suddenly somewhat weirdly kinda validated out in the open, for an interest niche of mine I've been cultivating for over 12 years now. Like "wait I know that song and they're playing that here? wow!".

---

My bias Yeji's too stunning not to share, sorry not sorry!

qz8vby9.jpg

FH2IpVu.jpg

H74nuDd.jpg

----

And last but not least, I started watching UHSN show, I'm into the 3rd episode, and I thought I would cringe here and there, but it actually is wholesome as fuck? I really love following those 10 girls, they're cute and adorable, and their love for Kpop is truly showing in the most adorable and genuine ways (Liisu, Erii & Nada are my faves thus far). I hope they had a blast filming this show, and a blast creating Popsicle! I'm watching it without subtitles because the girls mostly speak in English with one another, so it's pretty easy to understand 80% of each episodes. For the rest, well it either don't matter much, or I put things together trough context. Too bad there aren't proper Eng Subs for this though, but it's still alright thus far!

Last edited:

Fumo

Oct 27, 2017
A little under 12 more hours to get those votes in! I've already started work on the video.
Played catch up on a lot of this year's releases today and came up with a list.

1. IZ*ONE - Violeta
2. LOONA - Butterfly
3. Taeyeon - Four Seasons
4. Chung Ha - Gotta Go
5. Stray Kids - Miroh
6. Apink - %% (Eung Eung)
7. EPIK HIGH - 술이 달다 (LOVEDRUNK) ft. CRUSH
8. BOL4 - Bom (나만, 봄)
9. Everglow - Bon Bon Chocolat
10. Weki Meki - Picky Picky

Got trolled by the ice cream girl playlist in the OP though. XD

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
Random question but when crediting Chungha do I space it out like her YouTube video "Chung Ha" or do I reference her as Chungha?

There was none whatsoever on her official Mnet P101 page, her name was written "Chungha" all along.

9ytHZwN.jpg

So I got used to "Chungha" since then, since it was also written that way on the Chrysalis album, and the Miss Me one (all the girls' names were written in a very graphic design way on the Whatta Man album so all of them were written on two lines, one for each parts of their names). Although her name is also written with a space at times on the Miss Me? album, but it's not specific to her, when that happens, all the girls' names have that space.
But then when she debuted, that's when the space truly appeared, and it's everywhere on all of her solo albums, promotional stuff, website and SNS so i guess that's how she wants it.

Always hated the space in Korean names, so as a habit I tend to delete them. Which is why I write GaIn or HyunA with a capital to emphasize on the start of the 2nd part of the name (since that's why they keep the space to begin with). I don't put any capital letter for Chungha because it's pretty obvious how her name should be written when you know Hangul, so it feels redundant to me, but that's just my taste so who cares.

Anyway, all this talk about her forced me to go down memory lane, checking my albums and my picture folders, and god, she has changed so much, it's quite obvious.

FQjfV4k.jpg

CBgNkD4.jpg

Chungha & Yeonjung are the ones that I feel have changed the most physically from their P101/I.O.I Chrysalis days. But hey, that's Kpop for you. That's life.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
It's Chungha because Korean names don't get separated. We say Taeyeon and not Tae Yeon.

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
It's Chungha because Korean names don't get separated. We say Taeyeon and not Tae Yeon.

Nah. There'd be a hyphen if we're being actually proper. It'd be Kim Chung-ha (Kim Cheong-ha, actually I believe). Taeyeon is the stage name, her name is romanized Kim Tae-yeon.

Koreans variously spell two-syllable given names as a joined word or separated by a hyphen or a space, with the second syllable occasionally capitalized. If there is no personal preference, and no established English spelling, hyphenate the syllables, with only the first syllable capitalized (e.g., Hong Gil-dong).

Another good example is Shinee's Taemin: "Lee Tae-min (born July 18, 1993), better known by the mononym Taemin"

The real answer to the original was the one I gave. They tend to use "Chung Ha"—
dlI9fGP.png

—but it's also been "Chungha" for her stage name in some spots. But ultimately, it doesn't matter much for our purposes.

Last edited:

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
The hyphen only applies if no stated english spelling is given.

It's chungha cause she writes it Chungha

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
I know how they do it on the accounts. I'm saying she writes it Chungha

Her signature aside (because I've frankly never seen it), everything is clearly the space.
81-E3tZVAEL._SS500_.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

a80733bc97cca24786190f66888a43b1.jpg

These are Korean albums.

EDIT: Look like she's done both on the signatures:

Kim.Chung-ha.600.82817.jpg

Dp7YU2yV4AAk9Pz.jpg

The stage name is Chung Ha y'all. It's like calling Taemin (stage name), Tae Min because that's how he signs it.
c6b9940011a1bbdbb7b0b3697f87df19.jpg

Remember, this is the original question:
Random question but when crediting Chungha do I space it out like her YouTube video "Chung Ha" or do I reference her as Chungha?

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, lets just go with the space. Because I see it 80% of the time I see her name. Music videos, live performances from multiple stations, her official stuff, etc. Pretty sure that's the proper way and they just mess up and write Chungha sometimes . . . or she does it when signing stuff for some reason.

But if that was the right way--it'd be all over the videos, merch, and performance videos.

Oct 27, 2017
Kpop ERA's Top 10 First Half 2019

It's that time of the year again folks! Votes have been tallied, obsessed over, arthimitized, tie breaked, and updated as each vote came in. If you want to go in blind without spoiling yourself, you can watch below on the little video I made:

So without further ado, here is how it all shook out:

1. Loona - Butterfly (85 points)
LOONA-X-X-1.jpg

2. Chung Ha - Gotta Go (74 points)
220px-Chungha_-_XII.png

3. Apink - %% (66 points)

latest

4. Sunmi - Noir (60 points)
1200x1200bb.jpg

5. CLC - No (49 points)
220px-CLC_No.1_EP_Cover.jpg

6. NCT127 - Superhuman (46 points)

7. IZ*ONE - Violeta (45 points) (won first tie break)

8. ITZY - Dalla Dalla (45 points) (won second tie break)

9. Hwasa - Twit (45 points)

10. Twice - Fancy (44 points)

Thank you to everyone who voted! 6-10 was super tight all voting period and shows how each vote can sway a list. I had a lot of fun tallying everything and throwing together a little video this year

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
Her signature aside (because I've frankly never seen it), everything is clearly the space.
81-E3tZVAEL._SS500_.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

a80733bc97cca24786190f66888a43b1.jpg

These are Korean albums.

EDIT: Look like she's done both on the signatures:

Kim.Chung-ha.600.82817.jpg

Dp7YU2yV4AAk9Pz.jpg

Just checked on my albums, and she can even write it ChungHa there, with no space but a capitalized H.

l9FGE4m.jpg

8rZ1as5.jpg

So it's a bit over the place. But ultimately, I feel like the official spelling is the one used for her albums and SNS, and that's definitely Chung Ha. I just don't like it and use Chungha instead, but that's personal.

OP
OP
llehuty

llehuty

Oct 25, 2017
Great job with the top 10 juicyb! Nothing really suprising for everyone that checks the thread regularly,but is nice to see it all ranked and compiled in one place.

Edit: Wanted to add that post as a threadmark, but apparently I can only threadmark my own posts? Kind of lame.

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
Great job with the top 10 juicyb! Nothing really suprising for everyone that checks the thread regularly,but is nice to see it all ranked and compiled in one place.

Edit: Wanted to add that post as a threadmark, but apparently I can only threadmark my own posts? Kind of lame.
Maybe quote it and watermark that.

Top 10 First Half 2019
OP
OP
llehuty

llehuty

Oct 25, 2017

It's that time of the year again folks! Votes have been tallied, obsessed over, arthimitized, tie breaked, and updated as each vote came in. If you want to go in blind without spoiling yourself, you can watch below on the little video I made:

LOONA-X-X-1.jpg

220px-Chungha_-_XII.png

latest

1200x1200bb.jpg

5. CLC - No (49 points)

Thank you to everyone who voted! 6-10 was super tight all voting period and shows how each vote can sway a list. I had a lot of fun tallying everything and throwing together a little video this year

cHinzo

Oct 27, 2017
Was listening to some older WJSN songs and Secret is still one of my favorite title tracks from them. Wish they were more popular, but at least their sales have been climbing steadily.

Great top 10 btw guys, but where is Stray Kids' Miroh?!

OP
OP
llehuty

llehuty

Oct 25, 2017
Was listening to some older WJSN songs and Secret is still one of my favorite title tracks from them. Wish they were more popular, but at least their sales have been climbing steadily.

Great top 10 btw guys, but where is Stray Kids' Miroh?!

WJSN are super popular, though? Not at big 3 GG level, but in physicals are up there on the next tier, IIRC.

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017
I love LOONA, I stan LOONA, they're one of my top 3 k-pop artists from this generation, but Butterfly isn't even the best song in that album. Curiosity and Colors eat it up big time.

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
Surprised by that top 5 cause other than gotto go and No I thought those songs for the most part left with not much fanfare.

Noir especially. Easily Sunmi's most forgettable single.

greenbird

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
I agree with that but I thought the vote was for main songs only, did I get that wrong?

I don't think there was a restriction, but I did limit myself to main tracks only for the purpose of counting towards the list. B-sides just wouldn't get enough support. I tend to include a lot of them in my end of year lists though.

As far as LOONA goes, Where You At probably would have been my song choice. They're still really good, but up to this point I prefer the solo and subunit releases leading up to debut. So they've cooled off a bit for me compared to 2017 hype.

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
I agree with the sentiment about Loona, they're a good group and Butterfly is a great song, but it's weird seeing it sitting at that first place. I guess it's a case of everybody liking it enough to put it in their top10, which when points add up, makes it 1st place, while it's not necessarily the 1st choice of a lot of people.

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
Don't even think Butterfly was in my Top 10 (know it was on the list though). Still, I'm fine with them being #1.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
Great work with the top 10. Happy to see IZ*ONE on 7th.

Oct 27, 2017
I wrote the post super late so I didn't get a chance to list the songs just outside the top 10, but here is how the next 5 shook out:

11. Everglow - Bon Bon Chocolat (38 points)
12. Stray Kids - Miroh (35 points)
13. Weki Meki - Picky Picky (32 points)
14. Dreamcatcher - Piri (24 points)
15. Blackpink - Don't Know What To Do (23 points)

For the end of the year lists, we can separate b-sides and MV/singles out if everyone thinks that is better. Most people listed their favorite singles while some listed b-sides and/or japanese singles.

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017

LOONA-X-X-1.jpg

220px-Chungha_-_XII.png

latest

1200x1200bb.jpg

5. CLC - No (49 points)

Loona took #1? Y'all. Y'ALL.

I contributed to this.

Just checked on my albums, and she can even write it ChungHa there, with no space but a capitalized H.

l9FGE4m.jpg

8rZ1as5.jpg

So it's a bit over the place. But ultimately, I feel like the official spelling is the one used for her albums and SNS, and that's definitely Chung Ha. I just don't like it and use Chungha instead, but that's personal.

I use Chungha as well.

Blue Ranger

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Chile/France
Wow i wasn't expecting Butterfly to be first at all. Just like some of you guys weren't expecting Noir to be on the list.

I knee by the second week of january that Black Eyed Pilseung would be dominating the top 10 with gotta go and Eung Eung, super deserved 2nd and 3rd spot.

Status
Not open for further replies.