• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rainy

Oct 25, 2017
So I was really into Kpop from 2009-12 and only peripherally since then but someone posted a clip of "Ma Boy" on Twitter. And wow times goes by fast :\

birdinsky

Jun 10, 2019
Oh, you know. Death wishes. Calls for him to leave the group. The usual.

ETA: Okay, that was flip, but in all honestly I'm not a fan and have no pulse on what fans are saying in less public spaces, but on twitter and other major community sites, kpop fans consider this to be career suicide and have little sympathy for him. The memes have been plentiful and unavoidable. Is it a vocal minority? Who the fuck knows on the Internet in 2020.

Last edited:

SynthBpm

Oct 30, 2017
Silver Spring
i've been listening to a lot more shoegaze and atmospheric death metal and a lot less k-pop recently, so i can't really make a top 10.

As a big EXID fan their new japanese stuff has been real surreal, but wow have literally all the members done something interesting and new vocally on this newest release (except Solji, and honestly she was literally a vocal coach before EXID, so there's only so much she can do new there). i just really want to see Hyelin keep in music, she just sounds so great.

i know i've mentioned this before, but no matter how much i tried (at one point spotify was convinced LOONA was far and away my favorite), i still can't find anything interesting about any LOONA songs. they are all so forgettable to me. nothing hooks me at all. like to the point where i can't tell if LOONA is just a joke the whole 'net is in on. it's not like i think they're bad, but everyone keeps saying "stan LOONA" and putting Butterfly as their #1, and i still cannot find a single thing memorable about the song or anything else from them. am i just insane? is it all just the meme?

Last edited:

Kalnet

Oct 25, 2017

------------------------------------------

i know i've mentioned this before, but no matter how much i tried (at one point spotify was convinced LOONA was far and away my favorite), i still can't find anything interesting about any LOONA songs. they are all so forgettable to me. nothing hooks me at all. like to the point where i can't tell if LOONA is just a joke the whole 'net is in on. it's not like i think they're bad, but everyone keeps saying "stan LOONA" and putting Butterfly as their #1, and i still cannot find a single thing memorable about the song or anything else from them. am i just insane? is it all just the meme?

It all comes down to just, it's not right up your alley in the end and that's okay. You don't have to force yourself to like or be interested in them or their songs while many others are liking them. Like the groups and songs that you truly like and share it with us!

Gevin

Nov 2, 2017
My list:

1. Apink - %%
2. LOONA - Butterfly
3. (G)I-DLE - Lion
4. Itzy - Dalla Dalla
5. Weki Meki - Tiki-Taka
6. Twice - Fancy
7. Red Velvet - Psycho
8. Everglow - Adios
9. AOA - Come see me
10. Dreamcatcher - Deja Vu
11. (G)I-DLE - Senorita
12. Sunmi - Noir
13. Itzy - ICY
14. IZ*ONE - Violeta
15. CLC - Devil

Best B-side:
Everglow - Hush/LOONA - Satellite

브라이언

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
1. APINK - %%
Truly a masterpiece and one which will transcend decade barriers.
2. EVERGLOW - Bon Bon Chocolat
Did everyone forget Bon Bon Chocolat's existence?
3. TXT - Crown
4. IZ*ONE - Violeta
5. TXT - Run Away
6. Red Velvet - Psycho
7. Mamamoo - Hip
8. KARD - Dumb Litty
9. EXO - Obsession
10. Everglow - Adios
11. ITZY - Dalla Dalla
12. ITZY - Icy
13. X1 - Flash
RIP X1.
14. GFriend - Fever
15. BTS - Boy With Luv

questionmark

Oct 25, 2017
Ran out of time, so this is the top 20 I'm submitting.

1. Red Velvet - Psycho
2. Favorite - Loca
3. CL - +REWIND170205+
4. WJSN - As You Wish
5. Everglow - Adios
6. TXT - 9 and Three Quarters (Run Away)
7. Hinapia - Drip
8. CLC - No
9. Nature - Oopsie (My Bad)
10. CLC - Devil
11. Taemin - Want
12. BVNDIT - Dumb
13. Taeyeon - Spark
14. Weki Meki - Tiki-Taka (99%)
15. Rocket Punch - Bim Bam Bum
16. PinkFantasy - Fantasy
17. Twice - Fancy
18. Oh My Girl - The Fifth Season (SSFWL)
19. AOA - Come See Me
20. Wendy - What if Love

I like Loona. They put out several great solo and sub-unit songs before their debut as a full group. Since their proper debut however their output has been mostly garbage. Butterfly is good, but nowhere near good enough to grab a top 3 spot here imo. I got it somewhere in my top 150. I can't even remember the name of the other songs they've released as a full group. At this point I'm gonna have to say I think they are massively overrated. I'm inherently less interested in solo and sub-unit activities, so as much as I appreciate Egoist and new, that won't keep me excited for Loona songs at all if the current trend continues.

MakotoYuki

Oct 28, 2017
Any info what do korean fans say about this marriage thing?
EOP__eoWoAIt0N3

Oct 25, 2017
I've read this like three times but still don't know what they're trying to say
I find the humidifier thing quite funny, but at the same time is creepy that they know that.

Add me to the list of people confused about what sort of response this list of a couple doing couple things is meant to elicit.

'They shopped for an engagement ring'! Oh my!
'They bought their friend a housewarming present'! *gasp*
'They bought themselves a nice bed'! *clutches pearls*
'They went on holiday'! *faints*

Moon Parade

Oct 25, 2017
Dissenting opinion here: Im a bit conservative in this position, but i think idols should not date. I think it would disturb their performance in the group. I dont think it is wise decision.

I wouldn't even call that dissenting, it's just wrong.

It's ludicrous to think otherwise. They're not pets; it's not as if they have to be kept on a leash, less they be distracted by the next thing that passes by. And even if they were...

A lot of the problems with the industry are because are arcane 'rules' like that, and the public's seeming acceptance/reinforcement of them.

——————

Why is the thread pinned?

flyover

Oct 26, 2017
2019 was one of those years where there were a lot of songs I liked--maybe more than usual--but I didn't love the ones at the very top nearly as much as in previous years. Take 2017, where I want to give a #1 ranking to all of OMG's Windy Day, AKMU's Dinosaur, Yves' New, Gugudan's A Girl Like Me, Brave Girls' Rollin', and Laboum's Hwi Hwi.

Previous #1s

2018 -- April: Oh! My Mistake (Probably still my most-played kpop track in 2019)
2017 -- Laboum: Hwi Hwi (I love this dance practice video so much)
2016 -- Brave Girls: Deepened (That rap break...)
2015 -- The Ark: The Light (Ultimate one-hit wonders)
2014 -- IU: Sogyeokdong (Single best MV ever)

It hurt not to put my favorite group, OMG, in the top 10 this year. But their songs, while fine, just didn't make the cut. Also, two of my favorite high-profile songs of the year--including my real #1--don't have MV's, so they're out:
  • IU: Love Poem -- My runaway best song of the year. The songwriting, performance, and production all rule.
  • BTS: Mikrokosmos -- This would be in my top 5. BTS and their management know how good this song is, too, as they close their shows with it.
The list:
  1. Eyedi: & New -- Not counting Love Poem, this is an easy #1 pick of the year for me. I'm addicted to the de-tuned, filtered keyboard and trashy distorted snares. This song hits me the way Yves' New did (with its coincidentally similar name, and still the best Loona song).
  2. CLC: No -- I listened to this song more than any other 2019 release. At first, I just thought it was silly. Because it is (lol at that last "Red lip? NooOOoo!"). But it's also perfect. Nice of Soyeon to give her best song to CLC.
  3. Apink: %% (Eung Eung) -- I always liked the members of Apink, but this was the first year I really loved their music. Eung Eung, I'm So Sick, and even Hayoung's Don't Make Me Laugh were all pretty great.
  4. WJSN: As You Wish -- Without being quite as good as either of these bands at their peaks, this song gives me 2015-17 Brave Girls (arrangement, if not production) and Laboum (songwriting and performance) vibes. It's catnip for me.
  5. Itzy: Icy -- Always have to list the one song that I can't get out of my head when I'm trying to fall asleep. Icy was that song this year, so here it is.
  6. Limesoda: Wave -- I don't know anything about this band except that this song is great.
  7. Red Velvet: Psycho -- This song sounds somewhere between a single and one of RV's keyboard-driven, mid-tempo album tracks (e.g., Body Talk and Cool World), which are their best songs, anyway.
  8. AKMU: How can I love the heartbreak, you're the one I love -- So good to have AKMU back. Their Sketchbook appearance was a musical highlight of the year for me.
  9. Nature: I'm So Pretty -- This kind of makes me think of a B-tier Gugudan single (like it wishes it were A Girl Like Me or Chococo), which is still pretty good.
  10. Somi: Birthday -- Sometimes, my favorite songs are the ones that come right up to the line of being so catchy they're annoying.

Oct 27, 2017
The top three are getting a lot tighter now

1. 230 points
2. 222 points
3. 188 points

Every vote counts.

Get me those lists by tomorrow, January 15, 2020!

Favi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
My top 15:

01. Dreamcatcher - Deja Vu
02. APink - %%
03. Mamamoo - Hip
04. Loona - Butterfly
05. IZ*ONE - Violeta
06. Weki Meki - Tiki-Taka (99%)
07. Taemin - Want
08. Taeyeon - Voice
09. (G)I-DLE - Lion
10. Everglow - Bon Bon Chocolat
11. Red Velvet - Psycho
12. ITZY - Dalla Dalla
13. NCT 127 - Superhuman
14. Twice - Fancy
15. PinkFantasy - Fantasy

Too bad it's only MV songs though, almost all my favorites this year were b-sides.

DJChuy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I concur with getting %% #1. Ever since Apink changed styles, they've been giving us SOTY contenders.

MegamanXZero

Oct 27, 2017
Rotterdam
My Top 15 for 2019:

1. Twice - Fancy
2. SuperM - Jopping
3. Red Velvet - Psycho
4. Twice - Feel Special
5. iKON - I'm OK
6. ITZY - Icy
7. LOOΠΔ - Butterfly
8. EVERGLOW - Bon Bon Chocolat
9. Dreamcatcher - Deja Vu
10. Rocket Punch - Bim Bam Bum
11. Cherry Bullet - Q&A
12. Chung Ha - Gotta Go
13. Sunmi - Noir
14. Taeyeon - All About You
15. Somi - Birthday

Dullahan

Always bets on black
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My Top 15 for 2019:
  1. Dreamcatcher - Deja Vu
  2. LOOΠΔ - Butterfly
  3. Hinapia - Drip
  4. ITZY - Icy
  5. Apink - %%
  6. Weki Meki -Tiki-Taka
  7. Chungha - Gotta Go
  8. CLC - Devil
  9. (G)I-DLE - Lion
  10. Sunmi - Noir
  11. IZ*ONE - Violeta
  12. ITZY - Dalla Dalla
  13. Mamamoo - Hip
  14. Twice - Fancy
  15. Dreamcatcher - PIRI

Last edited:

alpha

Oct 25, 2017
More Seraness, now LOONA themed:

So uh...why is this better than the actual song though? This slaps hard.

Dullahan

Always bets on black
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sera is such a good fucking singer, why she never became a superstar, I'll never know.

halvvapoori

Oct 25, 2017
Amsterdam
Here is my top 15 🥰
  1. Butterfly - LOONA
  2. Psycho - Red Velvet
  3. Gotta Go - Chung Ha
  4. %% (Eung Eung) - Apink
  5. Feel Special - Twice
  6. Neon - Yukika
  7. Noir - Sunmi
  8. Violetta- IZ*ONE