• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Erpy

May 31, 2018
Somebody deserves a salt bolt to the face for this kind of thing so he can feel as salty as I'm feeling right now.

vladisaac

Nov 1, 2017
I finished Sen 4 last week with a final playtime of about 85 hours and it took some time to collect my thoughts.
As a general feeling: it was a chore to play through most of the game, but somehow, the last third was so satisfying that it left me a positive impression.

The pros:
- The game is very satisfying and gives proper closure to most of the main story arcs. There are some very really gratifying scenes for long time fans and it was exhilarating to reach the final credit rolls. Indeed the "end of saga".
- The battle system still works really well, and it is not a broken mess like in Sen 3. I would like to see more combats like what was introduced very late in the game.
- The last third of the game was very good.
- The non-romantic bonding events.
- The game has very good sidequests, which could have been easily qualified as main story quests.
- All the QOL improvements.

The cons:
- The length: it's a 80+ hours JRPG but it doesn't have 80+ hours of meaningful content mainly due to...
- ...the Sen 2 structure (which I don't like), espescially the whole Chapter 2 (and parts of Chapter 1): 30 to 40 hours of "filler" could have been trimmed down and could have greatly improved...
- ...the pacing.
- The romantic bonding events.
- Some characters arcs ended up being quite weak.
Musse is a missed opportunity, and I felt she joined back the team too early. The sidequests and the involvement of Zero/Ao cast was pretty weak at the end.
- It's the first time that I was bothered with some dialogues, mainly the "OOOOH" before most of the boss battles and a bit too much of: "hey, this is like this event X years ago, you remember???"
- There are still some framerate drops, noticeable in all the dungeons of Chapter 3
- The musics are still a step down compared to previous entries: there are still some memorable tracks (the field themes, the tracks of the last part of the game, including the ending song), but I still feel that the compositions and the arrangements were weaker than Sen 1&2.

I'm quite happy to finally be (almost) done with the Erebonia arc. The 4 Cold Steel games were far too long and tedious to play through and I find it very hard to recommend them, despite them having memorable moments and Sen 3 being one of the best entries in the series. I really hope that Falcom reduce the size of the cast and that they manage to plan and cut better their games in the future.
Well, I'm not super excited by the future "extension" of Sen, but I definitely look forward to the story arc.

And for what it's worth, my ranking of the Kiseki games:
Ao > Sen 3 > The 3rd > Zero > SC > Sen 4 > FC > Sen 1 > Sen 2

Last edited:

Erpy

May 31, 2018
The CS3 site now has a new part containing voice samples (currently only limited to Rean and Alisa) and it sounds like Rachel Hirschfeld is back into her old role as well.

Erpy

May 31, 2018
They do a good job making the characters sound recognizable while also sounding a little bit older at the same time.

Oct 27, 2017
It looks like they now have Elliot's voice sample up as well. All 3 sound good!
Glad to hear it! Hopefully they get all the cast back. Emma has been added too and Rena Strober is returning <3

I'm enjoying CS2 right now. I like some of the QOL improvements they made, such as letting you return back to town straight after completing quests.

The playable cast seems ridiculously huge already and I'm yet to get everyone. Narrowing down a team is gonna be hard as hell.

Last edited:

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017
Finally doing another run of Trails in the Sky FC after finishing it back in 2011 on the PSP. As I'm doing the Evolution port on my Vita, what's the best guide to follow for the full BP run?

Shan

Oct 27, 2017
I finished Cold Steel 1 last week and because I've enjoyed the world building of the game I was curious enough to purchase Trail in the Sky FC. Been enjoying it so far, Estelle's pretty likeable.

I stopped when we're trying to find out who stole the septium we were tasked with delivering to the Mayor of Rolant, looking forward to see where it will lead me.

Deleted member 2340

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dropping a post to keep up with the thread through my notifications. Will make more meaningful posts in the future.

Erpy

May 31, 2018
I finished Cold Steel 1 last week and because I've enjoyed the world building of the game I was curious enough to purchase Trail in the Sky FC. Been enjoying it so far, Estelle's pretty likeable.

I stopped when we're trying to find out who stole the septium we were tasked with delivering to the Mayor of Rolant, looking forward to see where it will lead me.

Where it will lead you to is to a game-spanning rivalry that'll make Jusis' and Machias' one pale in comparison. XD

Deleted member 9746

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
While I'm not surprised she returned (she worked with NISA in the past) I'm really happy she gets to voice Fie again!

Oct 27, 2017
Took me a while to realise she also voiced Morgana in Persona 5 and I can't unhear it now haha

Good to see they are building the cast back up! Hoping they get Carrie back to play Sara

Shan

Oct 27, 2017

I love that new hairdo she has. <3

Done some progress in Trails in the Sky today!
Oliver just joined us shortly after we got bailed out of jail, thanks to Bose's mayor. Now we need to go to the big lake area for investigations on the Sky Pirates!
Loving the game, the cast is pretty likeable so far, especially Estelle.

skLaFarebear

Oct 25, 2017
Fie's CS3 design probably got the best jump in quality of any returning CS character tbh.

Altina and Emma are close seconds.

Also, Goodsmile is doing a next nendoroid/rerun survey here - http://special.goodsmile.info/nendoroid_survey/en/

If you wanted to vote for a new Falcom character to get a nendo or ask for a rerun of Estelle (#236) or Renne (#264) you can fill out the survey. Takes like 20 seconds.

Dragon1893

Oct 25, 2017
I love that new hairdo she has. <3

Done some progress in Trails in the Sky today!
Oliver just joined us shortly after we got bailed out of jail, thanks to Bose's mayor. Now we need to go to the big lake area for investigations on the Sky Pirates!
Loving the game, the cast is pretty likeable so far, especially Estelle.

Estelle is the best.

I finished Sen 4 last week with a final playtime of about 85 hours and it took some time to collect my thoughts.
As a general feeling: it was a chore to play through most of the game, but somehow, the last third was so satisfying that it left me a positive impression.

The pros:
- The game is very satisfying and gives proper closure to most of the main story arcs. There are some very really gratifying scenes for long time fans and it was exhilarating to reach the final credit rolls. Indeed the "end of saga".
- The battle system still works really well, and it is not a broken mess like in Sen 3. I would like to see more combats like what was introduced very late in the game.
- The last third of the game was very good.
- The non-romantic bonding events.
- The game has very good sidequests, which could have been easily qualified as main story quests.
- All the QOL improvements.

The cons:
- The length: it's a 80+ hours JRPG but it doesn't have 80+ hours of meaningful content mainly due to...
- ...the Sen 2 structure (which I don't like), espescially the whole Chapter 2 (and parts of Chapter 1): 30 to 40 hours of "filler" could have been trimmed down and could have greatly improved...
- ...the pacing.
- The romantic bonding events.
- Some characters arcs ended up being quite weak.
Musse is a missed opportunity, and I felt she joined back the team too early. The sidequests and the involvement of Zero/Ao cast was pretty weak at the end.
- It's the first time that I was bothered with some dialogues, mainly the "OOOOH" before most of the boss battles and a bit too much of: "hey, this is like this event X years ago, you remember???"
- There are still some framerate drops, noticeable in all the dungeons of Chapter 3
- The musics are still a step down compared to previous entries: there are still some memorable tracks (the field themes, the tracks of the last part of the game, including the ending song), but I still feel that the compositions and the arrangements were weaker than Sen 1&2.

I'm quite happy to finally be (almost) done with the Erebonia arc. The 4 Cold Steel games were far too long and tedious to play through and I find it very hard to recommend them, despite them having memorable moments and Sen 3 being one of the best entries in the series. I really hope that Falcom reduce the size of the cast and that they manage to plan and cut better their games in the future.
Well, I'm not super excited by the future "extension" of Sen, but I definitely look forward to the story arc.

And for what it's worth, my ranking of the Kiseki games:
Ao > Sen 3 > The 3rd > Zero > SC > Sen 4 > FC > Sen 1 > Sen 2

Well, knowing that the pay-off is worth it will make it easier to endure the filler content. Thanks for that.

solari

Oct 25, 2017
AZ, USA
I'm surprised people like Fie's CS3 design so much. I'm not really fan, though I don't really like her CS2 design either. Shame because she is one of my favorite characters. I think Emma is my favorite CS3 glow up out of the main cast. Jusis' is pretty good too.

Erpy

May 31, 2018
The hair's fine. The part of the outfit below the belt is what's a bit unusual for a bracer.

Oct 26, 2017
South Carolina
Digging thru Sara's old hand-me-downs for work clothes has its drawbacks.

Fie's CS3 design probably got the best jump in quality of any returning CS character tbh.

Altina and Emma are close seconds.

Also, Goodsmile is doing a next nendoroid/rerun survey here - http://special.goodsmile.info/nendoroid_survey/en/

If you wanted to vote for a new Falcom character to get a nendo or ask for a rerun of Estelle (#236) or Renne (#264) you can fill out the survey. Takes like 20 seconds.

With new Smug-Ass and This-Bitch-Can't-Be-Serious faces, naturally.

Estelle is the best.

Well, knowing that the pay-off is worth it will make it easier to endure the filler . Thanks for that.

Shanaynay has no idea. No idea at all.

Deleted member 46958

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Question, how is

crow's ressurection handled? It seems right off the bat very soap opera. But is it actually plausible (or as plausible as can be?

Last edited:

Erpy

May 31, 2018
From the interview:

This actually relates to people who have just discovered this series and wondering if they can jump in, the simple answer is yes they can! This is because although Rean is older now, he's still the main character and is in charge of the growth of the New Class VII. In a way, they're kind of similar to the player, as they have a lot of things that need to be explained to them, so in general Trails of Cold Steel III is a great place to start whether you're veteran or a newcomer to the series.

As for other questions that didn't make the cut but were answered with the same amount of sincerity:
- Is Georg Weissmann a pleasant person? The simple answer is: yes he totally is.
- How does Estelle Bright feel about sneakers? The simple answer is: she friggin' hates them and everything they stand for with the fury of a thousand shining suns.
- What's Dorothee's singlemost defining trait? The simple answer is: her homophobia.

Right, NISA. I get that you don't want to use your PR budget to promote a competitor's products, but since the questions came from your own sister branch this wasn't an independent journo asking you a difficult question. No need to lie about this sort of thing. Just don't bring up the subject if nobody's asking.

Yunyo

Oct 25, 2017
With that logic from NISA it would better for newcomers to jump into CS4. After all if the starting point doesn't really matter, why not wait for the inter-series finale?

It would be better if they just didn't bother talking about that topic at all.

Erpy

May 31, 2018
True, this was probably the one venue where (assuming the interviewer wasn't a total Trails n00b) they weren't gonna get a "yeah and you can totally start with the Return of the King too if you like" in response. That doesn't make it the right thing to do.

Yunyo

Oct 25, 2017
Looking at it again, it just looks like an FAQ / Self-interview, not an actual interview conducted with an unknowing asker. They asked the question themselves and they provided a dishonest answer. You can make a case for trying to start at some weird points in this series, but CS3 is absolutely not one of them.

shimon

Oct 25, 2017
Looking at it again, it just looks like an FAQ / Self-interview, not an actual interview conducted with an unknowing asker. They asked the question themselves and they provided a dishonest answer. You can make a case for trying to start at some weird points in this series, but CS3 is absolutely not one of them.
Oh it absolutely isn't and it was absolutely dishonest from them to say that. But hey, we gotta sell the game somehow, right?
Next they will say that this game has almost nothing to do with previous 2 games bc there is a new Class VII lol

Erpy

May 31, 2018
I'll at least assume that most folks getting this will either have already played most other Trails games or those who haven't will at least look up some reviews online, about 99% of them probably mentioning you don't jump into this one blind, no matter what NISA's PR-guys claim.