• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Shan

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't put Taurus in her yet. Oh the possibilities. I got Fie at 100% and she almost never gets hit. It's kind of nice.
Do it, Taurus gives her a permanent increase at the expense of longer delay between each turn...but by the end it's like 175% with chance of crit and deathblow.
For Fie be sure to also give her the quartz that makes her crit everytimes it's a counter attack too! Juggler is good because maxed out it's 50% chance to inflict random status with an Attack/Craft and 50% chance of Nightmare too. Considering her crafts are pretty much AoE you get the idea!

Deleted member 2585

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
*gets on soapbox*

Laura is a character that fails to find a niche. If you're going by raw strength and S-craft nuke damage, Millium does more damage. If you're looking for an overall good character, Sara can do everything Laura can (with a smidgeon less S-craft damage), with far more useful crafts and higher stats.

Eppcetera

Mar 3, 2018
Maybe, but then you have to use Millium lol

I was honestly going to post something exactly like this, too.

Anyway, I don't see why it even matters if I use Laura, Millium, or Sara when all three are strong enough to break the game since the game isn't hard (at least on normal difficulty, as far as I know). I just pick my favourite and have fun.

skLaFarebear

Oct 25, 2017

trails-of-cold-steel-class-is-in-session-11.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
replaying CS1 was a pain cuz of how little you get to use Sara...Then replaying CS2 you still dont get her til the end of Act 1. I'm ready to be super disappointed by CS3

Deleted member 2340

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is Claire in Trails of Cod Steel III? Like a active member? Answer in spoiler tags and please keep in mind I haven't played Cold Steel III yet and I think I'm at the end game of Cold Steel II. I actually like her character or character potential the most.

I'm also amazed that these games aren't more popular in the West. Trails of Cold Steel I & II are truly amazing games.

shimon

Oct 25, 2017
Is Claire in Trails of Cod Steel III? Like a active member? Answer in spoiler tags and please keep in mind I haven't played Cold Steel III yet and I think I'm at the end game of Cold Steel II. I actually like her character or character potential the most.

I'm also amazed that these games aren't more popular in the West. Trails of Cold Steel I & II are truly amazing games.
Yes and she joins you for a moment. Definitely not a normal party member if that's what you're asking

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Going back to my cold steel nightmare playthrough on PS4, was struggling with the fight with class I for the practical exam, until I realized that by spamming arc slash with Rean 3 of the 4 enemies just never really got a turn (the fourth was unfortunately not lined up right, but also not a threat) at which point the fight was completely trivial lol

Dec 21, 2017
I've spent the past two months getting into this franchise. Beat Cold Steel 1, went to Sky, Crossbell, and now i'm deep into ToCS2.

What are the odds we don't get ToCSIV?

Burning Justice

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I've spent the past two months getting into this franchise. Beat Cold Steel 1, went to Sky, Crossbell, and now i'm deep into ToCS2.

What are the odds we don't get ToCSIV?
XSEED has said in the past that the Cold Steel 1 and 2 did well for them, and NISA said earlier in the year that pre-orders for Cold Steel 3 have been strong, so I'm not too worried about that.

soulslayer

Oct 26, 2017
I'm starting a play-through of Trails from Zero using the non Geofront patch and it's been okay so far. It's not the best, but it's understandable at least. Decided to play both Zero and Ao now as it looks like the Geofront patch won't be out till after CS3.

As I really want to find out the story before CS3 comes out in September, I'm going to bite the bullet and hope it goes well. To those that have played the Zero and Ao patches, how did you find it? Thank you.

Burning Justice

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm starting a play-through of Trails from Zero using the non Geofront patch and it's been okay so far. It's not the best, but it's understandable at least. Decided to play both Zero and Ao now as it looks like the Geofront patch won't be out till after CS3.

As I really want to find out the story before CS3 comes out in September, I'm going to bite the bullet and hope it goes well. To those that have played the Zero and Ao patches, how did you find it? Thank you.
Zero's translation isn't very good, but I enjoyed the game despite the translation. There are certain scenes that probably would've hit harder with a better translation, though.

Ao's is better than Zero's--unlike Zero's, Ao's script is mostly gramatically correct. But it's just a raw translation with minimal editing--it can be dry, and there are a few phrases that are repeated pretty often. I haven't quite finished Ao yet, but I'm enjoying it as well.

Deleted member 2340

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So I'm in the Epilogue of Trails of Cold Steel II and once I'm done I may have one burning question that's currently driving me crazy but waiting until I see the end to see if it's covered. As of right now what's happening makes zero sense to me. Like I missed one big detail.

I'm glad Trails of Cold Steel III pre orders are "strong". I hope it sells above their expectations so that we get Trails of Cold Steel IV sooner than later.

Has Trails of Cold Steel IIII already made and released in Japan or is it in development? Just wondering if there's a time table for it.

Last edited:

Burning Justice

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So I'm in the Epilogue of Trails of Cold Steel II and once I'm done I may have one burning question that's currently driving me crazy but waiting until I see the end to see if it's covered. As of right now what's happening makes zero sense to me. Like I missed one big detail.

I'm glad Trails of Cold Steel III pre orders are "strong". I hope it sells above their expectations so that we get Trails of Cold Steel IIII sooner than later.

Has Trails of Cold Steel IIII already made and released in Japan or is it in development? Just wondering if there's a time table for it.
Cold Steel IV released in Japan in September of last year. I'm guessing it'll release here about a year after Cold Steel III does.

Deleted member 2340

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Cold Steel IV released in Japan in September of last year. I'm guessing it'll release here about a year after Cold Steel III does.

Damn... I forgot how Roman numerals worked and got them confused with tally marks.

I don't know if you would know the answer to this question but does Trails of Cold Steel IV ends on a cliff hanger or is it a definitive end? in a spoiler tag would be awesome and only if you know of course.

Burning Justice

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Damn... I forgot how Roman numerals worked and got them confused with tally marks.

I don't know if you would know the answer to this question but does Trails of Cold Steel IV ends on a cliff hanger or is it a definitive end? in a spoiler tag would be awesome and only if you know of course.
I haven't played it, so I don't know for sure. Someone else here probably does, though.

preta

Oct 25, 2017

Definitive and largely satisfying end.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Howre the localizations of the gagharv psp series? I dont see this series discussed as opposed to the others.

lucancel

Oct 30, 2017
Italy

imho taking now the two cb games Is the only way to go.
Zero Is the bare minimum translation but the focus of the game Is the main cast which Is so defined and strong that the game still shine a lot. Also the game Is not that full of events, for this reason It Is ok to play It, It Is almost a side story with glimpses to cold steel and Sky games towards the end.
Ao has a better translation imho and had big events for the kiseki franchise (yet i find It less character centered) so the guren translation is really good to see them all. I found the game the biggest kiseki as both plot and lenght, It Is not condensed like zero, It Is a whole different beast and when It shines It Is brighter than ever see the trade conference, It Just starts slows imho and takes a while to kick up (or maybe It Is If you jump to It right After zero ending).
One day i will certanly play the geogront zero translation.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
How hard are Zero and Ao, btw? Comparable to FC/SC? Any massive difficulty spikes I should be wary of? And do the PSP versions have the "retry offset" option, where you can retry fights on an easier difficulty when you die?

Last edited:

preta

Oct 25, 2017
Howre the localizations of the gagharv psp series? I dont see this series discussed as opposed to the others.
Very poor. They get better as they go (although they were localized in the wrong order) but at best aren't even close to the quality of the Trails localizations we've gotten thus far, and at worst are infamously terrible. The PSP versions, the only localized ones, are also the worst versions of the games. It's a real shame - the PC versions are very good and have great writing in Japanese.

soulslayer

Oct 26, 2017
Zero's translation isn't very good, but I enjoyed the game despite the translation. There are certain scenes that probably would've hit harder with a better translation, though.

Ao's is better than Zero's--unlike Zero's, Ao's script is mostly gramatically correct. But it's just a raw translation with minimal editing--it can be dry, and there are a few phrases that are repeated pretty often. I haven't quite finished Ao yet, but I'm enjoying it as well.

imho taking now the two cb games Is the only way to go.
Zero Is the bare minimum translation but the focus of the game Is the main cast which Is so defined and strong that the game still shine a lot. Also the game Is not that full of events, for this reason It Is ok to play It, It Is almost a side story with glimpses to cold steel and Sky games towards the end.
Ao has a better translation imho and had big events for the kiseki franchise (yet i find It less character centered) so the guren translation is really good to see them all. I found the game the biggest kiseki as both plot and lenght, It Is not condensed like zero, It Is a whole different beast and when It shines It Is brighter than ever see the trade conference, It Just starts slows imho and takes a while to kick up (or maybe It Is If you jump to It right After zero ending).
One day i will certanly play the geogront zero translation.

Thank you so much for the feedback! As long as I can understand the story, I'll just go ahead with it. Already started up Zero and been enjoying it a lot.

Last edited:

Erpy

May 31, 2018
Since I don't own a PS4 and playing CS3 at launch would involve having to rent one and rush through the game before expenses started piling up too high, I can probably afford to hold out on the game, wipe my YouTube recommendations list and wait for more news for a little longer on both the Geofront progress and a PC port for CS3. It pains me to not play a Trails game at release for the first time in half a decade, but if it means I can play two Trails games (Zero and CS3) at my own pace while doing the usual "talk-to-everyone"-thing I've done with all games I played without having to rush through or get a headache by barely comprehensible NPC chatter, it might actually be worth it.

Deleted member 26768

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
you don't have to worry about cs4, companies bidding on cs3 knew what they where gettin into. And falcom probably would have (or should) enough integrity to make sure both will be brought over.

lucancel

Oct 30, 2017
Italy
Thank you so much for the feedback! As long as I can understand the story, I'll just go ahead with it. Already started up Zero and been enjoying it a lot.
Bear in mind that
1 i do not know japanese language
2 in zero i almost skipped most npc dialogues and if you love to read the chats in Sky games than you will miss a lot from zero.
If you like to stick to the main plot It Is ok

Last edited:

skLaFarebear

Oct 25, 2017
Unless CS3 does astronomically bad, I wouldn't be too worried about CS4. I'd be more worried about anything after CS4 or Crossbell making it west, but that's thinking too far into the future.

How hard are Zero and Ao, btw? Comparable to FC/SC?

Easier than Sky, harder than CS. I'd recommend hard if you didn't think Sky on normal was difficult.

skLaFarebear

Oct 25, 2017
I imagine if day one sales of Trails of Cold Steel III is strong enough or close enough to their break even point they'll announce the localization relatively quick.

I'd be shocked if the translation for it wasn't already underway. I don't think people are gonna be really happy with more than a year and a half max worth of turnaround time between CS3 and CS4 when CS1->2 was a bit less than a year. I know the scripts for CS3/4 are way bigger, but also so are NISA's resources compared to XSEED's.

soulslayer

Oct 26, 2017
Bear in mind that
1 i do not know japanese language
2 in zero i almost skipped most npc dialogues and if you love to read the chats in Sky games than you will miss a lot from zero.
If you like to stick to the main plot It Is ok

Understood! At this point, I just really want to know what happens story wise. It's unfortunate that we won't get a proper translation to these games.

Deleted member 2340

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd be shocked if the translation for it wasn't already underway. I don't think people are gonna be really happy with more than a year and a half max worth of turnaround time between CS3 and CS4 when CS1->2 was a bit less than a year. I know the scripts for CS3/4 are way bigger, but also so are NISA's resources compared to XSEED's.

I'm relatively new to the Trails game. I only played the first Trails of Cold Steel shortly after it released for the PS4 and I'm towards the end of Cold Steel II.

From my understanding when they were releasing these games on the PSP or Vita it sometimes took a few years to bring a new entry over if at all.

I just hope that these games are turning into financial success for the publishers so we can get proper ports of the rest of the series.

skLaFarebear

Oct 25, 2017
I'm relatively new to the Trails game. I only played the first Trails of Cold Steel shortly after it released for the PS4 and I'm towards the end of Cold Steel II.

From my understanding when they were releasing these games on the PSP or Vita it sometimes took a few years to bring a new entry over if at all.

I just hope that these games are turning into financial success for the publishers so we can get proper ports of the rest of the series.

Back when XSEED was on the localization for the games, SC was the only one that took a significant amount of time to come over but that was for a whole mess of reasons that I couldn't even begin to explain in this post. There are some XSEED blog articles about the localization process for SC that I'd definitely recommend checking out if you're interested (warning that it gets pretty dark). Outside of that, all the releases have all been on a timely schedule.

CS1 released in Winter 2015, CS2 in Fall 2016, Trails the 3rd in Spring 2017 and not long after, the right to localize new games had fallen out of XSEED's hands and into NISA's.

Eppcetera

Mar 3, 2018
How hard are Zero and Ao, btw? Comparable to FC/SC? Any massive difficulty spikes I should be wary of? And do the PSP versions have the "retry offset" option, where you can retry fights on an easier difficulty when you die?

I don't entirely agree with skLaFarebear's answer, so I'll reply to this question, too. I think Zero/Azure are around the same difficulty as the Sky games, although they may seem a bit easier if you've already played the Sky trilogy (personally, I don't think any game in this franchise is really hard). Azure has some victory-optional boss fights that can be quite hard, if you're interested in more of a challenge. As far as I know, both of the Crossbell games have "retry offset" options.