• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

out_of_touch

Oct 25, 2017
I have a good feeling that this game will have an active online community on PS4. Hype

How similar is this game to NFL Blitz?

Last edited:

Z Y

Oct 27, 2017
Bought. I had forgot about this thread. So exciting to click it and realize that today was the console release.

P A Z

Oct 27, 2017
Barnsley, UK
They've been tweeting out that it's only out for North America today.

Rest of world should be getting it in the next few weeks.

Personally I'm gonna grab some US PSN credit and get it this weekend :)

Blitzrules240

Self requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
Well I bought it for PS4, it's fun but there's a learning curve with all the gimmicks but for 20 bones, I'm satisfied with my purchase,

FriedConsole

Oct 27, 2017
Disappointing. It's clearly built on the last Blitz. All the gimmick stuff isn't fun. The asthetics and humor are something from 2002. Rather go back to Blitz.

Oct 29, 2017
So I have the PS4 version. It runs and plays fine. The graphics are a little muddy and Ive run into random hitching but overall it doesnt get in the way of play.

The game is pretty fun but I feel like it might not have very long legs. Ive only played 5 games and I feel like Ive pretty much seen everything the game has to offer. There are actually quite a few different 'Dirty Plays' such as pulling out a shotgun and shooting the defense, or turning the football into a timed bomb and they add some bit of strategy as to when and how to use them; outside of these, the game plays a lot like NFL Blitz. Late hits and suplexing the ball carrier into the dirt are the order of the day but the biggest difference is that these can lead to the player being killed and removing them from the game completely. If you kill a player after the whistle this leads to a 15 yard penalty but occasionally you can get away with them and its almost always worth it to remove a star player from the game. You can also cause a team to forfeit if you kill their 3 QBs.

Is it worth it? I think so. Its a lot of fun and mowing down defenders with a chainsaw is hugely entertaining but this game is probably best suited for shorter play sessions.

DJ Lushious

Enhanced Xperience
Oct 27, 2017
Disappointing. It's clearly built on the last Blitz. All the gimmick stuff isn't fun. The asthetics and humor are something from 2002. Rather go back to Blitz.
Humor is subjective. I've laughed quite a few times and the things the commentators, refs, or players have said.
So I have the PS4 version. It runs and plays fine. The graphics are a little muddy and Ive run into random hitching but overall it doesnt get in the way of play.

The game is pretty fun but I feel like it might not have very long legs. Ive only played 5 games and I feel like Ive pretty much seen everything the game has to offer. There are actually quite a few different 'Dirty Plays' such as pulling out a shotgun and shooting the defense, or turning the football into a timed bomb and they add some bit of strategy as to when and how to use them; outside of these, the game plays a lot like NFL Blitz. Late hits and suplexing the ball carrier into the dirt are the order of the day but the biggest difference is that these can lead to the player being killed and removing them from the game completely. If you kill a player after the whistle this leads to a 15 yard penalty but occasionally you can get away with them and its almost always worth it to remove a star player from the game. You can also cause a team to forfeit if you kill their 3 QBs.

Is it worth it? I think so. Its a lot of fun and mowing down defenders with a chainsaw is hugely entertaining but this game is probably best suited for shorter play sessions.
I bought MFL for couch play, really. Me and a friend love the Genesis game, so I snagged this. $20 is a fair price, I'd say.

I'm playing Season right now and you only get 5 resurrects after each game. I feel like I'm going to run out of players before I make it to the Mayhem Bowl.

RE: Underlined
I am glad I am not the only thinking the graphics are muddy. I'm playing on the Xbox One X and it'd be a hard sell if you told me the game was in 1080P. I don't get hitches, but I get straight up 1-second pauses some times. I thought it was maybe because the game is on an external. I'm going to move it over to the internal tonight and see.

I am, at the very least, looking forward to the continued support for the game.

Last edited:

Blitzrules240

Self requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
Yeah I gotta agree, this doesn't look like a PS4 game. The graphics are really muddled but the cutscenes with the players look better.

MrMephistoX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Had no idea this existed! Totally getting this...just debating whether or not to do so on my One X or PS4 Pro...likely a bigger online community on PS4? Is it cross play? I fucking hate sports games but I absolutely adored the Genesis original.,

DJ Lushious

Enhanced Xperience
Oct 27, 2017
Update on the pauses I've been experiencing. Moving the game to my Xbox One X's internal drive fixed the weird 1-second pauses.

TotalMackerel

Oct 26, 2017
Had no idea this existed! Totally getting this...just debating whether or not to do so on my One X or PS4 Pro...likely a bigger online community on PS4? Is it cross play? I fucking hate sports games but I absolutely adored the Genesis original.,

I've played on both and I think it looks slightly better on ps4. Pretty rough looking on both. Been having fun though!

FriedConsole

Oct 27, 2017

No Blitz 2012. It feels almost exactly like that.

Additional things I don't like:
  • Turbo too short
  • The fighting game that erupts after a play to injur each other isn't fun.
  • QB runs are a bad idea when injuries are on
  • The music that plays when choosing a play is real annoying
I hope I don't seem too critical because it is fun but I just think Blitz 2012 was better. I am on PS4 and it looks and plays fine.

OP
OP
Rygar 8Bit

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15
Make sure to go into the options before you start a game, the team selection screen has more options.
Game Speed - Set it to fastest will increase movement speed for everything. It's still not Blitz speeds but it's fine.
Quarter Length - Set it to 2 minutes if you have high damage turned on, and permadeath.
Karnage Level - Turn it all the way down if you want damage off, or adjust it to the right level of damage you want the higher the difficulty the more damage.
Resurrection - Can turn off permadeath
Can also turn off dirty tricks but I mean come on they are great.

I play it set to fastest speed, 2 minute quarters, karnage set to the medium setting with permadeath on. If you are starting out trying to learn the game maybe go for fastest speed with medium quarter length, and karnage turned off or set to the first one up, and permadeath off.

Edit: Also save your Dirty Tricks for 4th down situations, and always use the Kill Ref Dirty Trick if they are calling bullshit on you it means they are bribed.

DJ Lushious

Enhanced Xperience
Oct 27, 2017
Edit: Also save your Dirty Tricks for 4th down situations, and always use the Kill Ref Dirty Trick if they are calling bullshit on you it means they are bribed.
I'm pretty sure that Dirty Tricks refresh for the second half, so definitely use them in both halves to turn the tide in your favor.

On the topic of speed, I set it to "Classic." It's played fine for me, but I am not comparing it against any other games.

I'm halfway through a season and I am definitely having fun with this game, warts and all. Tonight I'm heading over to a friend's house to play, so I'm looking forward to see how playing against a human will fare.

OP
OP
Rygar 8Bit

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15
Patch came with a new team the Killadelphia Evils. Along with their home stadium, and even a theme song.
y7mtc8ub

Neuromancer

Oct 27, 2017
Baltimore
Nice!

I'm hoping for a Baltimore Ravens knockoff next.

Gotta say I'm really enjoying this game. It brings back so many good feelings from the old Mutant League Football days.

DJ Lushious

Enhanced Xperience
Oct 27, 2017
Patch came with a new team the Killadelphia Evils. Along with their home stadium, and even a theme song.
I was hoping come console image quality improvements would've come with this patch. X/Pro support would really help this game.

Gotta say I'm really enjoying this game. It brings back so many good feelings from the old Mutant League Football days.
Same here. I can get in a game for my Mayhem Bowl run in about 20 minutes, making it real easy to sneak in a game or two, even when I'm super busy.

ohblahitsme

Jan 20, 2018
Will pick this up when Dynasty mode is added. Any updates on when it is supposed to come out?

Coming later this summer:

To our Community,

We were hoping to release Dynasty this April, but it just wasn't ready for prime time. We will be releasing Dynasty later this summer, but there is no release date yet.

Dynasty is a major feature and is currently being tested and balanced. When the feature has met our "fun-factor" standards we will announce a release date. Our apologies for the delay.

https://steamcommunity.com/games/529520/announcements/detail/1658891011731613427

ohblahitsme

Jan 20, 2018
Anyone got tips on winning a game via forfeit to unlock the Denver team? I turned the carnage up and killed all the RBs but killing all the QBs is hard.

OP
OP
Rygar 8Bit

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15
Got to use teams that have QB sack or strawberry fields dirty trick, mixed with a bunch of blitz plays on top of it.

OP
OP
Rygar 8Bit

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15
Looks like the game will be hitting Nintendo Switch in September with the new Dynasty mode, races and stadiums!

DYNASTY PACK – Become the coach and GM of your favorite MFL team. Win multiple championships to become the league's next Dynasty. Includes player XP, roster management, team salary caps, custom playbooks, player trades, free agent signings and multiple season gameplay!
bba0a75d3be5609faed584e33e6b887a_original.jpg

DEMONIC LEGION PACK – Includes the brand new Hell-Spawned Demons species, two additional devilish Dirty Tricks, two brand new teams, and their corresponding stadiums!
69e5ea1a3274421e9cbba510bec7900b_original.jpg

WEREWOLF RAMPAGE PACK – Includes the brand new Rampaging Werewolves species, two additional ferocious Dirty Tricks, two brand new teams, and their corresponding stadiums!
4e424adebdc0c9276f11ea3d15f5b84b_original.jpg

The Mutant Football League: Dynasty Edition is blitzing retail stores this September! This is a physical release that will include new exclusive teams and gameplay content! If your bookshelf feels like it is missing something, pick up your copy on the Nintendo Switch™, PlayStation®4, or Xbox One and make that bookshelf feel complete!

HaNotsri

Usage of alt-account.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
An action version of blood bowl on switch? Neat! I'll buy it.
Thanks era!

Branson

Oct 27, 2017
Holy shit I didn't even know this came out. Is that extra stuff coming to the PC version?

OP
OP
Rygar 8Bit

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15
Holy shit I didn't even know this came out. Is that extra stuff coming to the PC version?

Going to be DLC for non backers. Not sure on price, but doubt it'll be expensive.

Edit: Might be free not so sure, maybe Dynasty mode is free and the 2 other races, dirty tricks and stadiums are dlc packs?
The community on Steam and XBox Game Preview Program have requested a season mode with more depth, so the MFL team led by our tech lead, Ivan Zaplava have been working on a feature called Dynasty, which will be delivered to all of you as a FREE update sometime in February / March.

Dynasty Mode allows the User to play multiple seasons and the goal is to win multiple Mayhem Bowls and become an MFL Dynasty.

In Dynasty mode you can pick from any of our 18 teams. These teams will have a very low overall rating when you begin. All of your players will be rookies, and you will have a limited playbook. As you play, your players will gain experience, which you can add and adjust to their individual attributes. So for example, as your Quarterback's Intelligence increases, so does his playbook. As your players gain experience, they can be upgraded from Rookie to Pro to All-Pro, All-Star and even a Legend. User's can also customize their playbooks and swap in and out Dirty Tricks from teams they have defeated.

Dec 15, 2017
Awesome game! I may have to double dip on Switch.

I really really hope this is doing well, its a nice break from the oh so stale Madden franchise.