Community Spotlight: Nintendo DS/3DS |OT| collecting and more

Layla

Oct 25, 2017
what are your "great white whales" of DS/3DS collecting, the games that you keep hunting for even though the prices keep spiralling upwards?

for me
My World My Way (DS) - an RPG aimed at girls, published by Atlus in NA - must have been a very limited printing
The Dark Spire (DS) - throwback dungeon crawler, published by Atlus (hmm detecting a pattern here!)
Castlevania Order of Ecclesia (DS) - another one I never got around to at the time, damn have you seen the prices lately?
Radiant Historia UK copy (3DS) - I've been buying all the late period 3DS RPGs as they've been coming out but for some reason I missed this one, probably going to give in and buy a French or German copy as they are much cheaper & still available

60fps

Dec 18, 2017
Earlier this year I got Dragon Quest 4, 5, 6 and 9 sealed for 40€ each, which is basically their original price. Pretty good. 4 & 5 are even the US versions which is even better due to nicer boxes/cover texts.

apathetic

Oct 25, 2017
No? I just have never bought a Zelda game
Interesting to find a unicorn in the wild. Not the never buying Zelda games but someone who has been deep into video gaming, participates in a video game forum, but doesn't know the reputation of OoT. One in a million I'd say.

To answer your original question then, yes, it is considered good. Frequently on the top of "greatest games of all time" lists. The 3ds port is good as well and I don't believe there are as many issues with it's port as the one for Majora's Mask. OoT is a great example of the "classic 3d" Zelda as it is pretty much what set the standards for them. Link Between Worlds is a great example of the "classic 2d" Zelda. Would recommend both of them if you are looking to play a good cross section of Zelda.

BoxingIsCool

May 15, 2019
Interesting to find a unicorn in the wild. Not the never buying Zelda games but someone who has been deep into video gaming, participates in a video game forum, but doesn't know the reputation of OoT. One in a million I'd say.

To answer your original question then, yes, it is considered good. Frequently on the top of "greatest games of all time" lists. The 3ds port is good as well and I don't believe there are as many issues with it's port as the one for Majora's Mask. OoT is a great example of the "classic 3d" Zelda as it is pretty much what set the standards for them. Link Between Worlds is a great example of the "classic 2d" Zelda. Would recommend both of them if you are looking to play a good cross section of Zelda.
Does it play well on 2ds

ZedLilIndPum

Oct 27, 2017
Good timing on this being a featured community, I was literally thinking 10 seconds ago how the DS and the Switch both excelled in something that's almost never mentioned in reviews, yet is really the "secret sauce" that help make these systems great--the short load times. It's that snappiness from turning on the system to playing the game that brings you closer to the system and the games, yet remains almost invisible until you use a system that has significant load times. I think it's key to a killer handheld, and the DS was great in this respect.