• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

OmarTheHippo

Oct 27, 2017
It is an interesting tension to it. I guess one thing that does occur is 'ambient treasure'. Most Tall Tales I have done have seen us also collect a bunch of stuff just by chance. So there is often going to be loot for those who seek it. Not as much as a crew gunning for chests or skulls, sure, but it seems to me the chance of an entirely empty ship are unchanged, really.
Ambient treasure is already part of the equation though—ships doing treasure voyages would have that on top of the rest. So it's moot. No one cares about stealing ambient treasure, no one cares about losing it. Except now in the process of stealing it I ruin someone's Tall Tale and get labeled a troll who is "playing the game wrong"

Ask anyone who plays primarily for PvP, and they'll tell you the seas have been pretty dang dead loot wise. Which is the crux of Summit's argument. It's dead by design. It was always going to peter out when a majority of the playerbase leveled up and stopped doing voyages, but by adding loot that hold exclusive "value" to only one crew the shift came much more suddenly

I rob people for FISH now. And to do that I need to board, murder, and spawn camp until my crew docks and empties their barrels. I don't enjoy the names I get called and yet it's me trying to play the game the way Rare designed it

And when I find people doing Tall Tales, my first thought is "I need to sink and steal their quest items so they'll leave the server and be replaced by someone who will fish me some fish to steal"

SuperPac

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
I don't agree with those that say "if you want to PVP, then play Arena." PVP in Adventure is a different beast and IMO lends to the unpredictability of SoT. It's the whole reason I play the game - and I generally only fire when fired upon.

And I've been both the victim of a Tall Tale interruption and the interruptor. I don't think there's a great way to solve it. Obviously you don't want to incentivize people to attack those doing tall tales.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
Arena as a game mode just isn't good enough right now. When they have Arena at conventions or at internal tests (or even insider tests) it's a way better game mode. Better connections, full lobbies, better communication.
Rare really has a lot of work to do to improve.

I feel the discussion about PvP in adventure will continue forever. Some people (like me) like more people in the server in adventure mode. But I also like that unpredictable PvP. It shouldn't become a battle royale game.

I feel in december we had the perfect storm for adventure PvP
- Gilded Voyages
- Shrouded Spoils update
- holiday season, so a lot of Galleons and new players

After that, the seas became more calm and less interesting for PvP focused players.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is he? Because when he says this...

... he's pretty spot on. And it has nothing to do with "trolling". Rare added a mode in a pirate game where you can't pirate the treasure people are hunting. The game has a pretty different feel in adventure mode after the Anniversary update, and Arena doesn't fill the void. It's not a streamer dictating what the game should be, it's a streamer complaining that Rare changed a game that had already been out for a year. For the people who spent a year enjoying the gameplay as-is, it's rough when a GaaS irrevocably takes away the experience you paid for

I'm not saying there is a solution; but chalking it up to "trolling" feels disingenuous. The servers now have more people focused on PvE getting sunk by people who don't profit from the hunt. Both sides end up dissatisfied with the experience

No he does troll. He borderline griefs. Because his viewers think thats funny. And let's be honest, it sometimes is.

One of his first viral clips was him hiding on a ship and tossing their loot overboard. Never intending to recover it.

When he comes across a person, even if friendly, he spawn kills them until he can sink their ship, regardless if there's any loot on board.

He's an aggressive, PvP focused player that prefers PvPing in Adventure because its fun to fuck with people, and he is in less danger himself doing so. He's cried whenever rare put out an update that lessened his ability to sink an entire galleon by himself. First there was double gun which was basically a way for (mostly) well aiming PC players to insta kill anyone at close-mid range. Rare removed that and he cried about the skill gap being lowered appeasing to casuals etc etc. They changed some other things that made it harder for him to fight players and he cried about it.

I mean jesus christ, he says gold is worthless to him and then complains about sinking players on tall tales because they have nothing/only quest items on board. Make up your mind idiot.

For someone like him, Tall tales changed nothing. And I don't think making the quest items be worth something would be a good move.

For the record, while I am all for PvP in adventure mode (it does add to the tension and the reason I play the game...) Adventure mode should not mean "I am looking only to sink and steal and kill" It should be organic ie you are on a quest of your own, see a ship, and decide if its worth trying to sink them or finishing your quest. While it is a totally legitimate way to play, doing adventure mode SOLELY for PvP is just stupid.

I don't really believe the "Sea of Thieves doesn't respect the player's time' stuff (and i find that argument, in general, to be silly af), i mean, it's another kind of design. Comparing it to the "30 seconds of fun" in Halo makes absolutely no sense. I find the more slower parts to be quite relaxing and that they add more to the experience than anything. It's a slower paced game, for sure, and that's not a bad thing, necessarily. That's heavily subjective, though, but these last few criticisms on this thread have been quite weird for me, it's like we have been playing a different game altogether lol
No the complaints about it not respecting players time are VERY true but there's honestly not much you can do about it without fundamentally changing the game. A single tall tale can take you over an hour, pushing 2, to complete. I mean even for seasoned players that know the puzzles, you can get krakened, meg'd other players can try to fuck with you while you have a quest item on board etc. You can spend over an hour doing something and then get no reward at the end. Nothing for your progress either. Same thing with Athenas. There is no way in the game to "save" your progress and most voyages can be time consuming. It's not like other games where you can hop on, say "I'm going to grind this out or knock off these quest steps, or finish this mission and log off" With SoT, I feel like I need like 3 hours MINIMUM of uninterrupted play time to make any progress.

Arena was a nice bandaid to that though, so you can have 20ish minute bouts on demand.

The only solution to this I've come up with is to offer shorter quests that pay out smaller and give you quests for loot that track progress like skeleton kills, captured animals, sailing, etc. Kind of like the commendations do, but integrated into voyages and quests. Maybe something like the Merchants offering scouting missions "Go to this island, this island, this island to scout them out" or the gold hoarders offering a quick. Basically have an option of how you want to spend your time versus just doing a quest with the only way to show anything for your progress is IF you can sell it before you log off.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
He borderline griefs.
No its not borderline. Dudes just an insufferable asshole that hates when anything doesn't go his way. Fuck Summit the fucking baby of the century. Have you seen him play GTARP? All he wanted to do was race like it was a racing game because all he has is mechanical skill and can't RP, and will complain when he "loses" RP. Doesn't make any fucking sense.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No its not borderline. Dudes just an insufferable asshole that hates when anything doesn't go his way. Fuck Summit the fucking baby of the century. Have you seen him play GTARP? All he wanted to do was race like it was a racing game because all he has is mechanical skill and can't RP, and will complain when he "loses" RP. Doesn't make any fucking sense.
I do know that his final straw for SoT was when someone else killed him on his ship with a sword.

wahhh

SpokkX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sorry but why are we discussing some streamer here?

Who cares what it says or thinks - regardless it has nothing to do with the game in my eyes

Anyway - is there any word on more tall tales coming? They are just amazing!

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
Sorry but why are we discussing some streamer here?

Who cares what it says or thinks - regardless it has nothing to do with the game in my eyes

The reality of modern gaming is that major streamers are pretty influential, which is why developers and publishers court them. A popular streamer playing Sea of Thieves would have lead more people to play Sea of Thieves. A popular streamer stopping streaming it and then going on a lengthy rant about how bad it is will have a commensurate effect in stopping people from trying, buying and playing it.

The words of influencers have weight, by definition, and I'd be surprised if Rare aren't paying close attention to his criticisms.

No the complaints about it not respecting players time are VERY true but there's honestly not much you can do about it without fundamentally changing the game.

... Then they should fundamentally change the game. It's the number one reason I find it hard to devote any time to the game, and I'm sure I'm not alone. Sea of Thieves time requirements are plainly unreasonable and would be a hard sell if Sea of Thieves was my favourite game ever made. The game not saving any progress was questionable when the game featured no quest that took more than half an hour, but in the context of tall tales and the likes it's just unacceptable. I can't help but feel Rare are taking their users for granted in not exploring solutions for this problem.

It simply doesn't seem that challenging to design a way that you could save progress, either in specific cases during longer quests, or in a more general way that would allow a crew to stop and pick back up later. It's not trivial to do this in a way which isn't unfair, but it's definitely achievable and it's precisely the kind of thing Rare should be looking to do if they want to make their game easier to devote time towards.

Last edited:

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
I know it's 'old man shaking fist at clouds' territory but most streamers I've seen should be largely ignored for either being idiots (what tawp suggests is this guy may not have the most cogent criticisms at times...) or completely and utterly average, in the nicest possible way.

I realise that doesn't mean they're not useful for Devs and not influential. Just me and my grumping.

SpokkX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I know it's 'old man shaking fist at clouds' territory but most streamers I've seen should be largely ignored for either being idiots (what tawp suggests is this guy may not have the most cogent criticisms at times...) or completely and utterly average, in the nicest possible way.

I realise that doesn't mean they're not useful for Devs and not influential. Just me and my grumping.

Where is the like button?

I feel pretty much the same. Looking at some idiot, half my age, playing games and talking trash is not my idea of entertainment

In fact I feel this pollutes gaming overall. I also firmly belive that mostly younger people/kids can enjoy this trash - i cant see a person in their 30-ies+ watching many so called streamers? Right??

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
Where is the like button?

I feel pretty much the same. Looking at some idiot, half my age, playing games and talking trash is not my idea of entertainment

In fact I feel this pollutes gaming overall. I also firmly belive that mostly younger people/kids can enjoy this trash - i cant see a person in their 30-ies+ watching many so called streamers? Right??
I'm 38 and watch plenty. What you fail to realize is most streamers are not toxic or assholes just normal people some of them are pretty entertaining and foster good communities. You are just judging them based around the loudest most obnoxious ones that constantly are in the public eye because of their bad behavior.

Last edited:

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
The reality of modern gaming is that major streamers are pretty influential, which is why developers and publishers court them. A popular streamer playing Sea of Thieves would have lead more people to play Sea of Thieves. A popular streamer stopping streaming it and then going on a lengthy rant about how bad it is will have a commensurate effect in stopping people from trying, buying and playing it.

The words of influencers have weight, by definition, and I'd be surprised if Rare aren't paying close attention to his criticisms.

... Then they should fundamentally change the game. It's the number one reason I find it hard to devote any time to the game, and I'm sure I'm not alone. Sea of Thieves time requirements are plainly unreasonable and would be a hard sell if Sea of Thieves was my favourite game ever made. The game not saving any progress was questionable when the game featured no quest that took more than half an hour, but in the context of tall tales and the likes it's just unacceptable. I can't help but feel Rare are taking their users for granted in not exploring solutions for this problem.

It simply doesn't seem that challenging to design a way that you could save progress, either in specific cases during longer quests, or in a more general way that would allow a crew to stop and pick back up later. It's not trivial to do this in a way which isn't unfair, but it's definitely achievable and it's precisely the kind of thing Rare should be looking to do if they want to make their game easier to devote time towards.

Good post.

I think that they won't change key aspects of the game anymore. They'll improve arena and keep adding stuff to adventure till the game isn't popular anymore.

Sea of Thieves 2 has its work cut out for it.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Good post.

I think that they won't change key aspects of the game anymore. They'll improve arena and keep adding stuff to adventure till the game isn't popular anymore.

Sea of Thieves 2 has its work cut out for it.
SoT 2 is honestly a mistake. It's meant to be a platform as a live service game.

I mean maybe in like 3 years when a new engine could benefit it. I'd much rather have some kind of (paid if need be, though I think that'd be a mistake) BEEFY update that adds more tall tales, new modes, new areas, new trading companies and mechanics etc. maybe every year or so. Similar to Destiny.

But for what its worth, the game does have a very committed cult following. It's not the juggernaut people were hoping for after the beta's monstrous twitch numbers, but its got a passionate fan base.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
SoT 2 is honestly a mistake. It's meant to be a platform as a live service game.

I mean maybe in like 3 years when a new engine could benefit it. I'd much rather have some kind of (paid if need be, though I think that'd be a mistake) BEEFY update that adds more tall tales, new modes, new areas, new trading companies and mechanics etc. maybe every year or so. Similar to Destiny.

But for what its worth, the game does have a very committed cult following. It's not the juggernaut people were hoping for after the beta's monstrous twitch numbers, but its got a passionate fan base.

Oh, I'm thinking 2023+

I just don't think they are able to change the base game mechanics anymore. I'm sure the game is doing fine. The game has a lot of fans and followers. And Rare has shown they can still make great games.

Just think the potential is soooo much bigger. Don't think new tales, new areas, new companies, etc. will change the game as much as we would like it to change.

Rare shouldn't listen too much to streamers, but Summit does make a good point that one of the strenghts of the game was (is?) the shared world adventure aspect of it. And I feel that part of it hasn't become any stronger since launch. Things like Tall tales and Arena undermine that aspect. And with more things to do, the servers feel more empty by the day.

Best time to play is during the holidays. Lots of galleons on the seas.

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Im gonna keep it real "The Seas feel more empty by the day" has been said since like, week two of the game. It really feels like the "Nintendo is doomed!" of complaints

SpokkX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I would WELCOME emptier seas - at least when trying to beat a fort

We are always interrupted and fail

Yeah - pretty new player and I think the game i absolutely amazing. In fact probably my favorite Rare game now - not a small accolade

SuperPac

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
I just don't think they are able to change the base game mechanics anymore. I'm sure the game is doing fine. The game has a lot of fans and followers.

I would have thought that but when they changed how barrels work and how much can be stored there, and re-arranging stuff on the ships... there could definitely be room to change the game mechanics. They could rethink the weapon/item/quest wheel (and I think they SHOULD). They could add a place where you could retrieve or cash in lost quest items. They could probably even come up with crew classes and more weapon types without needing to make a sequel - they could literally keep adding and changing and iterating on things for a long time. When the barrel changes were made people complained but it definitely worked out for the better - I am confident they could keep adding to the game for a long time to come. Including basic mechanic changes.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I would have thought that but when they changed how barrels work and how much can be stored there, and re-arranging stuff on the ships... there could definitely be room to change the game mechanics. They could rethink the weapon/item/quest wheel (and I think they SHOULD). They could add a place where you could retrieve or cash in lost quest items. They could probably even come up with crew classes and more weapon types without needing to make a sequel - they could literally keep adding and changing and iterating on things for a long time. When the barrel changes were made people complained but it definitely worked out for the better - I am confident they could keep adding to the game for a long time to come. Including basic mechanic changes.
Lol I remember the severe backlash at the barrel changes but they probably anticipated the cursed cannonball and food changes. Now its strange to even think about how the barrels used to work.

I'd love if they focused on a combat re-work though. It's been a common complaint since Day 1.

Also, pre launch the devs talked about how they were going to potentially add and remove trading companies as the game went on. They had plans to fundamentally change the game as it evolves, but I'm not sure if any of that is still planned as the current trend is add stuff and keep it in there.

There was, however, a VERY interesting topic on NPC's and their role and they clearly had a bigger vision for them. Including things like player controlled forts.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018

- Tall Tales bosses are balanced better between different crew sizes + other balancing changes
- Black Powder Stashes (new content) launches July 17th

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Any Mario Maker 2 players? I made a Sea of Thieves themed stage 😘

Sea of Thieves 1-1
M7D-9VQ-KQF

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
XE2wpo5.jpg

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
Pleaaaaase Rare tell me you are ready to announce:
- Ranked games
- Proper matchmaking
- Private games
- Support for clubs

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018

The first monthly content update since The Anniversary Update has now released.
The latest update is here! Read on for the complete breakdown of changes coming in with update 2.0.5 which introduces Black Powder Stashes, the first in a series of planned Monthly Content Updates for Sea of Thieves.

Alongside this, we're bringing in a host of game balance, quality of life and accessibility improvements, making this a big update for you to sink your teeth (or ships) into. Should you encounter any issues not acknowledged here, please head to the Sea of Thieves support site and raise a support request (using the button at the bottom of any article) to let the team know!

AEbkZni.png

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
You know what would be a nice quality of life update? Letting me chose the language.

Otherwise this is still one of the best games I've played over the last few years. I'm still doing the anniversary quest line and we are only at the fourth chapter right now.

It's fantastic to be able to dive back in after a few month and just set out to play. And it's only possible because everything is cosmetic only. The friend I play with is a pirate legend, I am very far away from that - in almost every other game, playing together to do the same quests would be impossible or not fun. Here it's no problem at all.

It's nice to have a game like this.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A new island not there before?
it's been there. That structure is new.
You know what would be a nice quality of life update? Letting me chose the language.

Otherwise this is still one of the best games I've played over the last few years. I'm still doing the anniversary quest line and we are only at the fourth chapter right now.

It's fantastic to be able to dive back in after a few month and just set out to play. And it's only possible because everything is cosmetic only. The friend I play with is a pirate legend, I am very far away from that - in almost every other game, playing together to do the same quests would be impossible or not fun. Here it's no problem at all.

It's nice to have a game like this.
It's actually really odd... The game is designed this way because you can come back at any time and you and your friends can play together. In that way it feels like the perfect game for people who are fed up with trying to keep up with friends in games like Destiny. It's a game that doesn't demand your playtime to stay relevant.

But on the other hand, I can play Destiny and make some progress in 30 minutes. In Sea of Thieves I don't think I can finish a voyage in that time. So yes, you don't need to play every day to be relevant, but you also need to have a large chunk of time alotted to play.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
it's been there. That structure is new.

It's actually really odd... The game is designed this way because you can come back at any time and you and your friends can play together. In that way it feels like the perfect game for people who are fed up with trying to keep up with friends in games like Destiny. It's a game that doesn't demand your playtime to stay relevant.

But on the other hand, I can play Destiny and make some progress in 30 minutes. In Sea of Thieves I don't think I can finish a voyage in that time. So yes, you don't need to play every day to be relevant, but you also need to have a large chunk of time alotted to play.

That's true. We needed around 3 hours to get a part of the quest done. It's fun but it takes time.
It didn't happen often but then there's also the possibility that you will get attacked at the end of your quest, you will sink and your loot stolen.
Not a fun experience when you're on the wrong end.

Oct 29, 2017
I don't play this game anymore, and all of these exclusives and the way that Rare patronizingly treats their community (and quite honestly what their community became in general) is the major reason why I stopped playing. Oh, and Arena being entirely antithetical to the original concept, not to mention poorly implemented.

How many "watch twitch" "buy this" "login x hours per week" exclusives does this game need, before you all realize that this is just an insidious new way to synergisticly incorporate microtransaction mechanics with Microsoft brand partners? For a game that's all about horizontal progression, the game has a serious lack of things to get. To make matters worse, the UI/UX is so antiquated, that half the time you hear people saying "what is that?" "how do you get that?" Because it's nearly impossible to search for items unless you have been paying attention since launch, or use the internet as a primary resource.

During the alpha SoT was an incredibly welcoming community that largely just wanted to have fun and play with the world's sandbox. Post launch, SoT's playerbase consists of the worst types of PvP players, and vaping slot pulling addicts who want to grind PvE cosmetics. And this is all encouraged by Rare's post launch design decisions, and lack of emphasis on the sandbox (mixed with hardware/engine limitations).

SoT is the game that I have played most in the past decade, but it's just a real shame what the game has become. Equally annoying are the unhappy SoT fulltimers who rage at anyone who has valid critiques of how the game has changed conceptually.

I don't like Summit1G, and quite frankly I think streamer culture is kind of gross in general, but if his overarching thesis is that Arena is antithetical to what makes SoT fun, I totally agree. That is a core problem, mixed with everything else I have highlighted above.

For a developer that spent a significant time emphasizing the "Pirate's Code" they surprisingly developed gameplay mechanics that encourage player behavior that is totally antithetical to the stated goals of those community guidelines.

Last edited:

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't play this game anymore, and all of these exclusives and the way that Rare patronizingly treats their community (and quite honestly what their community became in general) is the major reason why I stopped playing. Oh, and Arena being entirely antithetical to the original concept, not to mention poorly implemented.

How many "watch twitch" "buy this" "login x hours per week" exclusives does this game need, before you all realize that this is just an insidious new way to synergisticly incorporate loot box mechanics with Microsoft brand partners?

During the alpha SoT was an incredibly welcoming community that largely just wanted to have fun and play with the world's sandbox. Post launch, SoT's playerbase consists of the worst types of PvP players, and vaping slot pulling addicts who want to grind PvE cosmetics. And this is all encouraged by Rare's post launch design decisions, and lack of emphasis on the sandbox (mixed with hardware/engine limitations).

SoT is the game that I have played most in the past decade, but it's just a real shame what the game has become. Equally annoying are the unhappy SoT fulltimers who rage at anyone who has valid critiques of how the game has changed conceptually.
I think this is hugely overblown.

1. Arena does not take away anything from PvE. There's still plenty of conflict out on the seas. Plenty of people too. What Arena DOES too is let you scratch that combat itch without trying to sink people for the sake of sinking them or scouring the map for an hour for a decent fight. It also fills a MUCH NEEDED niche of an activity you can do in SoT that is under 30 minutes. Half the time I decide not to play this game is because I feel like even 2 hours isn't enough for adventure mode.

2. It's hardly lootboxes. They outright tell you what you will win if you just tune in and watch. There's no time rules to watching I believe. I always put it on in the background lol. I think its great community engagement, and its completely free for cosmetic pre-determined rewards. The only "buy this" stuff comes from physical items like the board game, controller, etc. Are you seriously going to complain about this when literally every update to this game has been free and no MTX have been added? The only place with the play x hours a week is for insiders. Great way to incentivize playing it over the game. Tbh I wish they could track forum posts too because many people just sail aimlessly for an hour to log their reward for a week and thats it.

3. Dunno what kind of updates you want. People have been clamoring for rewards. Clamoring for replayability. Almost every update has added something permanant to the world that can change up how you play.

SpokkX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

How many "watch twitch" "buy this" "login x hours per week" exclusives does this game need, before you all realize that this is just an insidious new way to synergisticly incorporate loot box mechanics with Microsoft brand partners?

Sheesh talk about overanalyzing - it is a GAME. It is what it is. it does not match what you expect? Well too bad - it happens. Dont play it then

I think it is fun game now - i just play what is offered and it is fun engaging stuff. Unique and unlike other gaas titles too

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
i dont know why yall even engage, he's just going to be back next month "I still dont play this game but I need to write yet another overblown essay about how its living rent free in my head"

Droyd

Mar 1, 2018

How many "watch twitch" "buy this" "login x hours per week" exclusives does this game need, before you all realize that this is just an insidious new way to synergisticly incorporate microtransaction mechanics with Microsoft brand partners? For a game that's all about horizontal progression, the game has a serious lack of things to get. To make matters worse, the UI/UX is so antiquated, that half the time you hear people saying "what is that?" "how do you get that?" Because it's nearly impossible to search for items unless you have been paying attention since launch, or use the internet as a primary resource.

I don't like Summit1G, and quite frankly I think streamer culture is kind of gross in general, but if his overarching thesis is that Arena is antithetical to what makes SoT fun, I totally agree. That is a core problem, mixed with everything else I have highlighted above.

For a developer that spent a significant time emphasizing the "Pirate's Code" they surprisingly developed gameplay mechanics that encourage player behavior that is totally antithetical to the stated goals of those community guidelines.

C'mon could you be more dramatic?

Rare treats their community very well. They are open, honest and welcoming. How on earth have you been 'patronised' by them?

Push microtransactions with partners..? Well, I must have dreamt up the 5 huge free updates and also somehow missed an insidious ploy to spend money within the game.

There's the store they're planning to implement but it was removed from the anniversary update because the pets weren't up to their internal standards?

Who cares if they're trying to push numbers?

'Vaping slot pulling addicts?' I never understand people who insult a games audience because it doesn't cater to whatever it is they're upset about.

Sure there's plenty to criticise like any other game. You have some valid points but it's hard to take you seriously when you post something as over dramatic as this.

Oct 29, 2017
i dont know why yall even engage, he's just going to be back next month "I still dont play this game but I need to write yet another overblown essay about how its living rent free in my head"

These responses are exactly how I expect the SoT userbase to respond. It's rampant on the SoT subreddit, and for some reason everyone loses their marbles the second anyone criticizes how Rare has managed the game post launch.

I don't plan on coming back, I keep up with the news and occasionally watch their dev updates because I still think the game is/was interesting conceptually. As a fan of the concept, and the IP, I'll keep up with it. But I don't plan on playing it, given the direction the game has gone.

It's pretty clear the active userbase is down, and some of this is obviously due to the fact that it has been out for over a year, but it certainly doesn't help that everytime anyone has constructive criticism the Rare-stans come out in full force to defend the game.

Chiramii

Oct 25, 2017
Norway
Dang, won't be able to catch the twitch rivals stream next week and of course there is in-game loot tied to the event. Fuck timed exclusives, especially those with such a narrow window.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Dang, won't be able to catch the twitch rivals stream next week and of course there is in-game loot tied to the event. Fuck timed exclusives, especially those with such a narrow window.

Don't forget you can catch it on your phone if that's possible for you. It's how I intend to do it. Just need to link your account. You only need to be watching for one Arena match (so like 30 minutes or whatever)

Oct 29, 2017
C'mon could you be more dramatic?

Rare treats their community very well. They are open, honest and welcoming. How on earth have you been 'patronised' by them?

Push microtransactions with partners..? Well, I must have dreamt up the 5 huge free updates and also somehow missed an insidious ploy to spend money within the game.

There's the store they're planning to implement but it was removed from the anniversary update because the pets weren't up to their internal standards?

Who cares if they're trying to push numbers?

'Vaping slot pulling addicts?' I never understand people who insult a games audience because it doesn't cater to whatever it is they're upset about.

Sure there's plenty to criticise like any other game. You have some valid points but it's hard to take you seriously when you post something as over dramatic as this.

Rare hired a good PR team. They speak to the userbase the way that big companies speak to their consumers. There has been a noted contrast between the transparency and community interaction that Rare did during the alpha and what their community outreach has turned into now. It feels significantly less authentic. As someone who has followed the game since the alpha, they literally used to provide actual data and analytics behind how the users were interacting with the game. Now all we get are weekly videos where they reframe positives from whatever the last update is, and barebones patch notes that completely ignore longstanding issues. It wasn't until this week's patchnotes that Rare actually started noting hitbox issues (pertaining to Arena). In their latest content video, the first line of dialogue is literally "As if this schmorgesborg of features that landed with the SoT anniversary, weren't enough" if that isn't patronizing, I don't know what is...

I don't want to get into a debate with you about microtransactions, we can save that for another thread. But literally this game was released with like 4 or 5 different things that you had to buy in order to get custom cosmetics, from things like overpriced hard drives and controllers to things like Chips Ahoy cookies (whose parent company is a Microsoft client). I refute that microtransactions are necessary for modern game development and games-as-service, but we don't need to get into that here.

Am I being hyperbolic in calling SoT diehards "slot pulling vaping addicts?", perhaps? But have you interacted with many people in the late-game of SoT. There are literally some of the most unhappy people that I have encountered in all of gaming, and many of these people are just griding the small dopamine rushes that they get from unlocking x tedious commendation. On the flipside, ever since Summit1g started streaming everyone thinks that they are good at PvP until they're not, and then many just want to throw a tantrum. Is this a symptom of gaming in general, sure. But it's something that has gotten markedly worse overtime in this game. Which stands in stark contrast to Rare's stated purpose of making the game inclusive and accessible.

Then there is the fact that the game clearly has some underlying hardware/software limitations (see:revamp of physics system in a previous patch), where that instead of improving things like AI, they just artificially bump "difficulty" by making "tough" enemies bullet sponges. Skeleton lords anyone?

It literally took them like 6 months to tone down ridiculous things like the rate at which you get hit by volcano projectiles.
I can't tell you how many people stated adamantly that one can simply dodge volcano projectiles by "gitting gud." A subset of people simply refuse to acknowledge that the best "expert" strategies for dealing with volcanoes is simply tanking (with a galleon) or just waiting it out (during solo play). The tanking strategy is even less fun because many of the projectiles have splash damage that can kill you even when you are in covered areas (like the lower deck of the galleon).

Some users also refuse to acknowledge environmental stacking, where you have a probability chance of multiple things like volcano/kraken/skeleton ship occurring all at once. No matter how good you are, there is always that percentage chance that you will have a session where it feels like all of the environmental RNG factors are stacked against you. You might still complete the voyage, but in the amount of time it would normally take you to do three.

Perhaps this is controversial, but all of these design decisions have really been to the game's detriment. Devil's Roar is not more difficult, it's just a "necessary" annoyance that you need to put up with for efficiently reaching Athena's 10. To make matters worse, once you are Athena's 10, I have little interest in doing anything in that region outside of grinding for specific commendations.

In the end I think this decision to design environmental factors around "annoyance" rather than fun/rewarding has really made the game less accessible and fun. To make matters worse, DR remains an isolated region from the base game and therefore a subset of every server has the potential of multiple ships who are doing activities in that region and that region alone. Which totally breaks the normal forced encounters that occur in the primary 3 regions.

Chiramii

Oct 25, 2017
Norway
Don't forget you can catch it on your phone if that's possible for you. It's how I intend to do it. Just need to link your account. You only need to be watching for one Arena match (so like 30 minutes or whatever)
Going on vacation outside the country so I would honestly want to spend my time/data cap on something more important, but if it is one game per day I guess I could let it play in the background in 160p or something.

Oct 25, 2017

"antiethical to the original concept"

yikes

"vaping slot pulling addicts" lmao what the hell is this shit

Last edited:

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Rare hired a good PR team. They speak to the userbase the way that big companies speak to their consumers. There has been a noted contrast between the transparency and community interaction that Rare did during the alpha and what their community outreach has turned into now. It feels significantly less authentic. As someone who has followed the game since the alpha, they literally used to provide actual data and analytics behind how the users were interacting with the game. Now all we get are weekly videos where they reframe positives from whatever the last update is, and barebones patch notes that completely ignore longstanding issues. It wasn't until this week's patchnotes that Rare actually started noting hitbox issues (pertaining to Arena). In their latest content video, the first line of dialogue is literally "As if this schmorgesborg of features that landed with the SoT anniversary, weren't enough" if that isn't patronizing, I don't know what is...

I don't want to get into a debate with you about microtransactions, we can save that for another thread. But literally this game was released with like 4 or 5 different things that you had to buy in order to get custom cosmetics, from things like overpriced hard drives and controllers to things like Chips Ahoy cookies (whose parent company is a Microsoft client). I refute that microtransactions are necessary for modern game development and games-as-service, but we don't need to get into that here.

Am I being hyperbolic in calling SoT diehards "slot pulling vaping addicts?", perhaps? But have you interacted with many people in the late-game of SoT. There are literally some of the most unhappy people that I have encountered in all of gaming, and many of these people are just griding the small dopamine rushes that they get from unlocking x tedious commendation. On the flipside, ever since Summit1g started streaming everyone thinks that they are good at PvP until they're not, and then many just want to throw a tantrum. Is this a symptom of gaming in general, sure. But it's something that has gotten markedly worse overtime in this game. Which stands in stark contrast to Rare's stated purpose of making the game inclusive and accessible.

Then there is the fact that the game clearly has some underlying hardware/software limitations (see:revamp of physics system in a previous patch), where that instead of improving things like AI, they just artificially bump "difficulty" by making "tough" enemies bullet sponges. Skeleton lords anyone?

It literally took them like 6 months to tone down ridiculous things like the rate at which you get hit by volcano projectiles.
I can't tell you how many people stated adamantly that one can simply dodge volcano projectiles by "gitting gud." A subset of people simply refuse to acknowledge that the best "expert" strategies for dealing with volcanoes is simply tanking (with a galleon) or just waiting it out (during solo play). The tanking strategy is even less fun because many of the projectiles have splash damage that can kill you even when you are in covered areas (like the lower deck of the galleon).

Some users also refuse to acknowledge environmental stacking, where you have a probability chance of multiple things like volcano/kraken/skeleton ship occurring all at once. No matter how good you are, there is always that percentage chance that you will have a session where it feels like all of the environmental RNG factors are stacked against you. You might still complete the voyage, but in the amount of time it would normally take you to do three.

Perhaps this is controversial, but all of these design decisions have really been to the game's detriment. Devil's Roar is not more difficult, it's just a "necessary" annoyance that you need to put up with for efficiently reaching Athena's 10. To make matters worse, once you are Athena's 10, I have little interest in doing anything in that region outside of grinding for specific commendations.

In the end I think this decision to design environmental factors around "annoyance" rather than fun/rewarding has really made the game less accessible and fun. To make matters worse, DR remains an isolated region from the base game and therefore a subset of every server has the potential of multiple ships who are doing activities in that region and that region alone. Which totally breaks the normal forced encounters that occur in the primary 3 regions.

Well actua-

Nevermind, roguesquirrel is correct.