• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
Just wanted to add, I checked the Twitch App on my PC a couple hours ago and it had a notification that I received the "Obsidian Hull drop."

like this
Nj9l2G5.jpg

I haven't checked in-game yet, since sometimes it take a while to show up there.

Oh.

I didn't receive a notification, but I did get the items in-game.

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Just wanted to add, I checked the Twitch App on my PC a couple hours ago and it had a notification that I received the "Obsidian Hull drop."

like this
Nj9l2G5.jpg

I haven't checked in-game yet, since sometimes it take a while to show up there.
About 35ish minutes into the stream someone in the chat said they already had it so i checked for myself and it was there. seems a lot more instant than the mixpot giveaways

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
Fuck nothing for me.
But some people seem to got both items for just one day watching. So maybe I'll be lucky today?

Where did you link your account? On Seaofthieves.com?

I never received a notification from Twitch that I got something. But when I logged onto SoT, the items were there.

Remember that we'll get two items today too, the flag and the sail.

Deleted member 49804

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 21, 2018
Where did you link your account? On Seaofthieves.com?

I never received a notification from Twitch that I got something. But when I logged onto SoT, the items were there.

Remember that we'll get two items today too, the flag and the sail.
Well there is still the option for a support ticket.
They're quite good for that kind of stuff.

Todays items are not as dope as yesterdays, tho

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
European round of the Twitch Rivals event is going on now. 45k viewers. With a German, Polish, English and two French teams.
www.twitch.tv

TwitchRivals - Twitch

TwitchRivals streams live on Twitch! Check out their videos, sign up to chat, and join their community.

Deleted member 49804

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 21, 2018
Hmm already got the notification for todays drop.
Now I really wonder what was wrong yesterday. Seems like I have to submit a ticket.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How does everyone feel about Sea of Thieves mtx plans?

The mtx will be pets, emotes, and ship cosmetics that celebrate old rare characters (potentially MS characters as well)

I find it hard to criticize it too much considering how much we got for free without ANY mtx available beyond physical item exclusives (like the controller)

The plan was initially pets which I was all on board with because its something outside the game that you couldn't just earn on their own. It's a way to give your character some flare.

In a game where the only thing to spend gold on is cosmetics, spending real money on cosmetics seems a little cheap. They will be rare game themed at the very least but I hope they don't spend so much time designing mtx cosmetics that they ignore the main games cosmetics which could use some better stuff.

The emotes is where I think I would have issues with if they are not done right. They said they dont want to introduce mtx that messes with power in the game (ie no stat bonuses, weapons etc) but emotes do hide your player tag and allow you to hide better on ships and islands. If they introduce emotes that sort of "lower" your characters profile this could be an issue. We already see this in games like Fortnite where there are emotes that allow you to lay down behind cover. Or allow you to pose like a statue and blend in to environments (this is actually hilarious, but you get my point)

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, I'm kinda fine with it. I'd like the cosmetics they do sell to be ring fenced as this 'celebration of classic Rare games' for the foreseeable so people don't feel like they're putting whatever into the real money store.

But pets, emotes, cosmetics... I'm fine with it. I like their ethos of optional content, no random drops, no power buffs.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
I'm fine with the pets and emotes. Not sure I agree with the ship cosmetics, as it was something we got for free or by playing all this time.

SuperPac

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
I am fine with the mtx plans. In fact, I do hope pets are more useful/better than the original plan - hopefully they really took some of the Insider feedback to heart.

I will totally buy emotes. I will buy cosmetics. I will buy pets (maybe). This game has provided more entertainment to me in the last year and a half than most other games so I'm more than happy to part with some more money to help keep it going. I want this game to keep evolving and keep going well into the next gen.

Chiramii

Oct 25, 2017
Norway
With the amount of free content during the first year I'm all for mtx. Not saying I will buy a whole lot myself but I'm not mad that they're doing it. I'll probably get a parrot and that's it.

Currently on vacation but "watched" for a few hours on poor wifi (2 mbps so 240p was the way to go) last night, and about an hour today. Don't have a PC with me so I can't check, but I expect my items to be there when I'm home on sunday.

Hopefully this won't be the last we see of these types of events. As others have said, get some spectator features in and this will be a very entertaining game to watch competitively.

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Pets and emotes are totally fine with me, but the ship cosmetics kind of rub me the wrong way considering how much of a trickle new cosmetics ingame has been since the initial big new batch last April/May and one of the most consistent player complaints about the game is how easy it is to bank up gold (and it gets easier with every major update, if Im not chasing specific commendations I sneeze money) with so little to actually spend it on. If they were more consistently putting out new cosmetics that were just part of the ingame stores it'd sit a lot better with me. There was like 2-3 weeks early in the year where the Sovereign wheel glitched into the Royal Sovereign colors so that wheel clearly exists & works and its baffling to me that still hasnt been released as a separate cosmetic yet.

The video makes it sound like its only going to be crossover stuff like the Rare-inspired figureheads and spartan set so it strikes me as easy to get over if they keep to that, but its still the only part of this that feels iffy.

EDIT- In a similar vein I dont think I'd be miffed if new shanties were MTX but I would be if new instrument types were.

Last edited:

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
Man, Twitch Rivals was a lot of fun. But those commentators were clueless.

Had a lot of fun watching Pace, Burke Black, Gothalion and others.

Stitch AU

Oct 29, 2017
Brisbane, Australia
I will more than likely buy some of the mtx cosmetics, I have sunk at least 300hrs into the game since launch and all on game pass. Not having to pay for any extra content so far has been amazing.

Chiramii

Oct 25, 2017
Norway
Hmm.. Just got home from vacation and the Twitch Rivals loot is nowhere to be seen. Watched all of Pace22's games and a little bit prior to that on Tuesday, and for about 90 minutes on Wednesday on low quality on a really bad internet connection (2 mbps download), so I guess I'll have to make a support ticket.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
Hmm.. Just got home from vacation and the Twitch Rivals loot is nowhere to be seen. Watched all of Pace22's games and a little bit prior to that on Tuesday, and for about 90 minutes on Wednesday on low quality on a really bad internet connection (2 mbps download), so I guess I'll have to make a support ticket.

Was your account linked properly?

Chiramii

Oct 25, 2017
Norway
As a huge fan of racing games of all sorts since I was a kid I'm all for a racing mode in SoT, sadly I don't think there's any demand for it. Used to make tracks in older battlefield games and race with friends just for the fun of it, and whenever we play games with vehicles we'll make a race out of almost everything. Maybe I need to get in on this community thing.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
what about an amazing race style gamemode where ships race around solving clues/riddles and/or completing objectives?

I am looking for some advice in Sea of Thieves. I really want to love this game, I think the art style is fantastic and the ship to ship combat is amazing...... but I can't stand the melee / gun combat. I convinced my crew to try the arena and we had a blast until we had people board our ship. All it seems to take is one person to board our ship and they drop the anchor, hop around, kill and spawn camp us. We try and sword the guys down but it just feels like I can't get anything to land.

I've watched some videos and it looks like people try to guard the ladders but that doesn't help with people launching from cannons, and if you are busy guarding ladders you are gonna get taken down by cannon fire.

Am I missing some big piece to melee combat? Does it come down to a PC vs Console issue? I am a pretty good gamer but this one I just can't figure out.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I am looking for some advice in Sea of Thieves. I really want to love this game, I think the art style is fantastic and the ship to ship combat is amazing...... but I can't stand the melee / gun combat. I convinced my crew to try the arena and we had a blast until we had people board our ship. All it seems to take is one person to board our ship and they drop the anchor, hop around, kill and spawn camp us. We try and sword the guys down but it just feels like I can't get anything to land.

I've watched some videos and it looks like people try to guard the ladders but that doesn't help with people launching from cannons, and if you are busy guarding ladders you are gonna get taken down by cannon fire.

Am I missing some big piece to melee combat? Does it come down to a PC vs Console issue? I am a pretty good gamer but this one I just can't figure out.

I'm assuming you are on console.

It's possible to hold your own for a bit but honestly once we get down to pirate v pirate fights the PC players have an absurdly huge advantage. A good console player can go toe to toe with an average PC player but if the PC player is decent at all they can usually take down a full console galleon by themselves. They'll just be able to hop around, turn on a dime, and hit those shots. I'd stick with blunder buss and sword if you think its too hard to hit them with the pistol.

Doesn't help that hit detection in this game is trash. Don't trust the hitmarkers.

Good news is they are, for arena, adding an opt in/out system for Xbox and PC. It's not a hard opt in/out, but it will try and match you with the same platform.

OmarTheHippo

Oct 27, 2017

People rarely manage to land on boats from the cannons. Most people are launching out of cannons with the hopes of getting out in front of your ship and grabbing the ladder; so guarding ladders is definitely going to take care of most boarders

And don't worry about death while guarding ladders. Getting killed by cannon fire while doing this is also pretty rare. It really takes a bunch of coordination within the team to spot boarders in the water before they grab the ladder. Watching for mermaids, the sound of people fired out of cannons, being cognizant of where boarders might be coming from, etc. Then rush to ladders before they get up

Boarding is the meta, and has been the meta from the start. As janky as mele combat is, it's still semi-skill based. PC has an advantage, but not absolute. If you're team is getting wrecked make sure you all respawn on the boat at the same time so the boarder can't mow you down one-by-one. That's normally how a single boarder can dominate a boat- constantly winning 1v1 until it's sunk

People rarely manage to land on boats from the cannons. Most people are launching out of cannons with the hopes of getting out in front of your ship and grabbing the ladder; so guarding ladders is definitely going to take care of most boarders

And don't worry about death while guarding ladders. Getting killed by cannon fire while doing this is also pretty rare. It really takes a bunch of coordination within the team to spot boarders in the water before they grab the ladder. Watching for mermaids, the sound of people fired out of cannons, being cognizant of where boarders might be coming from, etc. Then rush to ladders before they get up

Boarding is the meta, and has been the meta from the start. As janky as mele combat is, it's still semi-skill based. PC has an advantage, but not absolute. If you're team is getting wrecked make sure you all respawn on the boat at the same time so the boarder can't mow you down one-by-one. That's normally how a single boarder can dominate a boat- constantly winning 1v1 until it's sunk

Thanks for the advice. How do you make sure to all respawn at the same time? I thought the screen just pulls back from your corpse until its ready to reload you.

I'm assuming you are on console.

It's possible to hold your own for a bit but honestly once we get down to pirate v pirate fights the PC players have an absurdly huge advantage. A good console player can go toe to toe with an average PC player but if the PC player is decent at all they can usually take down a full console galleon by themselves. They'll just be able to hop around, turn on a dime, and hit those shots. I'd stick with blunder buss and sword if you think its too hard to hit them with the pistol.

Doesn't help that hit detection in this game is trash. Don't trust the hitmarkers.

Good news is they are, for arena, adding an opt in/out system for Xbox and PC. It's not a hard opt in/out, but it will try and match you with the same platform.

Yes I am on console. That is really good to hear they are adding opt out, that should alleviate my concerns a little. I would love for a game mode that was pure ship vs ship!

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Upping your camera sensitivity to max closes a lot of the controller/mkb gap. Its extremely rare i meet a m+kb player actually taking advantage of their absolute benefits they have like how they can do tiny bunnyhops to just sword swipe you from all angles in place. Most players dont know how to handle bunny hops in general which are easy to do regardless of what youre using (the little hop you do when youre blocking your sword followed by an actual jump when you hit the ground, repeat), and on open spaces like islands theyre pretty crucial to keeping enemies at a distance so you can nosh food or reassess your position. Theyre not as useful on a boat but if youre top deck galleon you can use it to easily go between the bow and aft of the ship & create some distance if youre on an enemy vessel

You can get decent enough on controller that people will accuse you of being a pc mouse+kb player in gamechat

edit- in addition to hearing people being fired off you can hear them swimming and their mermaid spawn when theyre close which helps if you dont have full visual on those as they head over

Last edited: