• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Just had a comically awful experience. Wrapped up a fort with some newer players and we spent enough time getting the loot on board I forgot to double check the skies and just figured a new cloud had spawned. Halfway to the outpost we had the kraken on us after the fort, no biggie we'll sail out of it. Then a meg came while we were wrapped. Alright thats a little more tense. Then the meg knocked a pirate off our boat in range to aggro a skeleton ship. It did not take long after that to sink but luckily we respawned on an island not too far and we'd be able to get everything back. We pile onto the boat, server merge. "Well that sucks but at least I got a cool screenshot of all three monsters bonezoning us" i thought. Turns out the dogshit new gamebar waited a full 3 seconds before it registered my screenshot so the meg isnt in frame and its just me running on deck after snagging the photo. I wouldve clipped it but again the new gamebar is dogshit and all of my clips tonight have been showing up black with just the audio.

Got bonezoned the worst way possible and NOTHING to show for it! Not even proof it happened!

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
How the heck are you supposed to get all those mermaid gem commendations before they leave? Numbers are too high imo.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
How the heck are you supposed to get all those mermaid gem commendations before they leave? Numbers are too high imo.

Honestly, don't stress about it unless you desperately need the doubloons. Time limited commendations disappear from the rep page when they're done. If you miss any they won't stick around locked. I missed one of the Mercenary voyage commendations in a previous event and it just vanished from the list when the event was over and my progress bar sits at 100% still. I think they're aware that people don't want a reminder that they've missed time limited commendations for the rest of eternity.

There are no cosmetics attached to the kegs/gems commendations so unless you want the doubloons just don't stress.

Roldan

Oct 29, 2017
I swear I don't quite understand some players in this game...

The Reapers Mark is supposed to enforce PvP, right? Right. So if Rare adds an achievement that requires completing quests with that flag active... there's a reason for it. You're going to mark yourself as target while carrying all the loot -- explosive loot. It's riskier.

So I see a ship sailing with the Reapers Mark on, sink them and steal their gunpowder, and they curse me for ruining their fun. Shouldn't they be aware of the consequences of sailing that flag? Ffs.

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Ive had the opposite happen, where we'd be flying the flag and then a crew clearly trying to chase us down gets mad we keep preventing them from getting close like we're supposed to be a free sink just because we're flying the reapers flag.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

The Reapers Mark is supposed to enforce PvP, right? Right. So if Rare adds an achievement that requires completing quests with that flag active... there's a reason for it. You're going to mark yourself as target while carrying all the loot -- explosive loot. It's riskier.

So I see a ship sailing with the Reapers Mark on, sink them and steal their gunpowder, and they curse me for ruining their fun. Shouldn't they be aware of the consequences of sailing that flag? Ffs.
sounds like salty pirates, nothing more. But its bullshit that happens in any game.

In CoD "wtf you can't use that attachment and gun its bullshit"

In Halo "wtf you cant shoot me in the back, not a fair fight bro"

SuperPac

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA

They should and probably do, but since they're on the losing end - it's your fault their fun is ruined (and sometimes in voicing that, they're merely trying to throw a last salvo of guilt your way). Had a brig crew pursuing our sloop yesterday as we finished up a reaper powder voyage that cursed me after I boarded them, anchored them, and killed one of their crew so that we could cash in our stronghold powder in peace. Apparently I am a trash Xbox player and my mother is ugly. OK duder.

Cokomon

One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017
Maybe they just thought the Reaper flag looks cool (it glows!!) and were not aware of what it actually does.

Governergrimm

Jun 25, 2019

I play SoT almost exclusively PvE and wouldn't fly that flag for that reason.

As an aside, what is the best way to make money. Is Fishing still best?

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That beacon chest is something people have been asking for since the alpha. Hope it stays in the game after this.

Cokomon

One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017
Patch Notes say that, yes, the Reaper Chests will still be around after Dark Relics is over.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
yeah, it should be a nice, permanent, addition. i wonder if that glowy effect sticks with it wherever it is or if that disappears once its been picked up?
Yep.

I don't know if it shows on the map before its picked up, but once it is picked up from its initial spawn, it will appear on the map, similar to reapers mark.

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Got most of the commendations done just doing each of the four voyages once a piece. Getting 15 ritual skulls seems like the grindy part unless you consistently get super lucky with the rng

edit- yeah once a chest is in the world itll always show up on the map until its cashed in.

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
you can get into a lot of dumb fun with the harpoon rowboats
tumblr_pw8vu8KMP21qejutxo4_1280.png

tumblr_pw8vu8KMP21qejutxo1_1280.png

tumblr_pwalgi7Vc81qejutxo5_1280.png

tumblr_pwalgi7Vc81qejutxo2_1280.png

Deleted member 32561

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Opened up a support ticket on the official site, but wondered if anyone here might be able to help.

Just got the game via Xbox Game Pass for PC, installed. Everything works fine at first. Then as it logs in and gets to "loading supplies", it gives me the Daffodilbeard error.

... but the servers are all up and working. :T What gives?!

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
Does the game want to log you into Xbox Live? Do other games on Game Pass with xbox Live requirements work?

(I've never seen that error before)

Deleted member 32561

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Daffodilbeard is a problem on their end, at least according to the guide to the various beard errors on their support site.
Yeah that's why I'm confused, given they say the servers are up. My friends are all playing right now and have been each time I try to start the game up since yesterday.

Hopefully the support desk people can help...

Roldan

Oct 29, 2017
So, I pretty much ignored the Dark Relics and am only focusing on the Reaper's Chests -- gotta get that 50 in Hunter's Call. Plus, setting up heists to steal other crews chests is fun as hell.

Also, there was this one time where I hid a chest on the tavern's underground passage to the Athena's Fortune just for shits and giggles, and had two ships coming over and searching for it left and right while fighting each other. I scuttled my ship, slept on a bush and watched all the chaos unfold.

At the end, the chest remained uncovered, but the fight was awesome while it lasted.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
So, I pretty much ignored the Dark Relics and am only focusing on the Reaper's Chests -- gotta get that 50 in Hunter's Call. Plus, setting up heists to steal other crews chests is fun as hell.

Also, there was this one time where I hid a chest on the tavern's underground passage to the Athena's Fortune just for shits and giggles, and had two ships coming over and searching for it left and right while fighting each other. I scuttled my ship, slept on a bush and watched all the chaos unfold.

At the end, the chest remained uncovered, but the fight was awesome while it lasted.

i like that idea

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So a fun new sandbox mechanic was hilariously accidentally leaked on the dev stream

9g9xfcjs4nh31.png

FIRE!!!! (this is obviously a shop, but fire is confirme to be on the way.

It's kinda nuts they didn't include it with Forsaken Shores. The mechanics are all there. AOE, DoT mechanics, extinguish it with buckets of water/jumping in water.

Roldan

Oct 29, 2017

• September's update will introduce Duke's Black Market
  • The Black Market will have special cosmetics for doubloons, as well as "variants" (recolors?) of existing cosmetics for gold
  • All future Event Voyages will be free instead of 5~10 doubloons
  • After that update is live, you will be able to buy only one letter of recommendation/month for each faction. Guess it's time to grind for Reapers Chests to get that 50 in Hunter's Call.

There seems to be more info on the article, but I didn't get the time to read it: https://www.seaofthieves.com/news/black-market-update

bdwnfn99

Oct 25, 2017
So is there an active discord for anyone who still plays? I still hop on US East servers and would like a crew who know what they're doing from time to time