• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
JUST GOT THE SHROUDED GHOST MOTHERFUCKERS

LITERAL GHOSTCREW
e72.gif

OmarTheHippo

Oct 27, 2017
It's a shame that color variants aren't cheaper once you buy the actual species of pet. But if you only want one color they're priced pretty reasonabe compared to most cosmetics you'll experience in a game

Hope they keep adding to the variety of interactions and don't just settle for good enough

Garcia el Gringo

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
Cross-posting:

I know it's extremely early to be asking this, but any impressions on Ancient Skeletons and their rarity/payout?

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Cross-posting:

I know it's extremely early to be asking this, but any impressions on Ancient Skeletons and their rarity/payout?

Someone commented on the subreddit and said they paid out 100 coins when they killed one which is more than I expected... one anecdotal report though!

I just bought a big pot of Ancient Coins but they haven't come through... still at 0 coins. I'm assuming this is just day one server stuff? It's a damn shame. I've plotted out everything I want to buy!

Garcia el Gringo

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
Someone commented on the subreddit and said they paid out 100 coins when they killed one which is more than I expected... one anecdotal report though!

I just bought a big pot of Ancient Coins but they haven't come through... still at 0 coins. I'm assuming this is just day one server stuff? It's a damn shame. I've plotted out everything I want to buy!
Great, thanks for relaying that anecdote from the subreddit. I agree that 100 coins (even if that's the cap) is more generous than what I woulda assumed; depending on the rarity of Ancient Skeletons, I can imagine SoT's equivalent of a F2P player in regards to The Pirate Emporium being able to buy a lil something every once in a while.

I hope Rare sorts out your coin purchase soon~

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
I bought a Parakeet no regrets. It's soooo cute, I perch him on my bannister and steer my Galleon with my crew of randos, and off we go to sack a Fort and sink a poor Sloop that got a bit bolshy.

wait what's that Sea Dogs Tavern Challenge? We sailed past that island and it looks amazing, but I assumed it was colour/lore for the Arena. What happens there?!

Last edited:

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I bought an awesome Barbary macaque and called him Ghost.

Also grabbed the emotes bundle and a bunch of ship parts. The premium sail, the hull, the wheel, capstan and cannons. The figurehead is just so similar to the Banjo one that we've all already got and I didn't need the basic sail or the flag. The bundle doesn't really save you a lot. Especially if you want the Premium bits too.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
I bought an awesome Barbary macaque and called him Ghost.

Also grabbed the emotes bundle and a bunch of ship parts. The premium sail, the hull, the wheel, capstan and cannons. The figurehead is just so similar to the Banjo one that we've all already got and I didn't need the basic sail or the flag. The bundle doesn't really save you a lot. Especially if you want the Premium bits too.
Yeah Im just gonna go with the regular parts minus the regular sail for the premium one. Gold figurehead is trash anyway. Isn't much more expensive.

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Im surprised that the maximum 35 dollar tier for ancient coins is enough to get you the ship bundle, the emote bundle, a pet and an outfit for it. Basically everything you would want from the store unless you wanted to grab the premium ship parts and collect all the pet variants. Feels really generous compared to other games even if 25 bucks for a ship set still feels pricey.

wait what's that Sea Dogs Tavern Challenge? We sailed past that island and it looks amazing, but I assumed it was colour/lore for the Arena. What happens there?!
Its a lil platforming obstacle course you can just do for the fun of it! Idk if they added proper timekeeping to it, but a friend and i competed for the best time in Insiders using a stopwatch app and listening out for the bells placed at the start/midpoint/end of the route and it was a lot of fun. Gets pretty tricky near the end.

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
Its a lil platforming obstacle course you can just do for the fun of it! Idk if they added proper timekeeping to it, but a friend and i competed for the best time in Insiders using a stopwatch app and listening out for the bells placed at the start/midpoint/end of the route and it was a lot of fun. Gets pretty tricky near the end.

Oh nice, thanks. A welcome addition in my book: the sooner they bring in more things to do with the environment the better. The traps were cool and we need more, and different activities on islands would also be sweet. Plus I love platforming!

Shortiloe

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Played with a Friend today and oh lord, I wish there would be an Offline-Version or Private Servers possible. We are both Beginners, and were doing some Quests. But there was ALWAYS that one Ship from another Player group. Always in the Same area. While we had he smallest ship, they were sailing with the biggest one. But they ALWAYS attacked us, no matter what we said, we begged that they could please stop, because well... we are beginners. But nope.
We quit the game after an hour, because they killed us 5 times and we could'nt finish one mission. This is so frustrating.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Played with a Friend today and oh lord, I wish there would be an Offline-Version or Private Servers possible. We are both Beginners, and were doing some Quests. But there was ALWAYS that one Ship from another Player group. Always in the Same area. While we had he smallest ship, they were sailing with the biggest one. But they ALWAYS attacked us, no matter what we said, we begged that they could please stop, because well... we are beginners. But nope.
We quit the game after an hour, because they killed us 5 times and we could'nt finish one mission. This is so frustrating.
I do think maybe for the first couple levels you should be put in something of a beginner or private lobby. Might help alleviate that.

Stitch AU

Oct 29, 2017
Brisbane, Australia
It can be frustrating with some players. If you had no treasure on board and the other players were just killing you over and over then I would consider that harrassment and not within the spirit of the game.

A few weeks ago my crew were doing one of the relic voyages and another ship came to attack. They got the upper hand and sank us, we lost a little but managed to hide some loot on an island. As we went to retrieve our loot we saw that same ship parked at plunder outpost, we are not usually the revenge type but we went in to get some revenge. The battle went on for what felt an hour, both ships ran out of supplies and we ending up both sinking. Amazing battle all round.

We went straight back to get our loot again, the same ship came straight back to us and sailed by, we waved to each other and said well played and continued on our way. That's the spirit of SoT to me and you do get a lot of experiences like that. But there will always be those who just want to be pricks.

Roldan

Oct 29, 2017

Some pro tips for dealing with galleons:
  • Smaller ships are less maneuverable than bigger ones. Zig and zag around the seas to buy some time.
  • Galleons are either 8 or 80 -- when the wind is right, they are VERY fast. Against the wind they're really slow. Use that to your advantage.
  • Do an anchor turn (it's kind of the same principle as the first point): turn the wheel all the way to one side and then anchor your ship while going full speed -- if done right, the ship should make a near 180 degree turn. After that, obviously, raise your anchor as soon as you can. Since the other ship will be going full speed to the previous direction you were going earlier, it will take some time for them to reposition their ship.
  • Equip yourself for possible situations like that. Store gunpowder barrels up in the crow's nest, then keep your pursuer in a straight line behind you and jump in the water while holding a keg. Try to board them and blow up the gunpowder. Cursed cannonballs can save you as well (especially anchorball).
But honestly tho, if you don't feel like dealing with that, just close your session and open a new one to be matched in another server.

Niceguydan8

Nov 1, 2017
So I'm playing the game solo, and I wish my friends were playing it because I think it would be more fun even with one other friend, but I'm still having a really good time. I really like how relaxed it is just going out on a gold hoarder quest and sailing around.

RaySpencer

Oct 27, 2017
I bought the Banjo Ship, cause I love Banjo & Kazooie, but I want to swap out the ship paint, but keep all the other stuff. What do you think would go look the best?

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
If anyone else is trying out the Creator Crew "faction" they added this week, heres how to avoid a few minor headaches trying to stream on mixer with the gamebar on pc i had to figure out on my own:

-if you're streaming through mixer on the gamebar, mixer needs your account to be verified before you can stream as of this month. If you havent verified your account the gamebar wont tell you this and will just give you a generic error. You need to go to mixer.com, visit your broadcast dashboard, and apply for verification (watch an intro video, wait 24 hours, then come back to the dashboard and click through a few more things after that 24 hours)

-Once youre set to stream on mixer, sign out of the gamebar and sign back in (settings window -> accounts) for the gamebar to actually let you stream (otherwise it complains you need to change your privacy settings).

-For some reason whenever I started a stream through the gamebar it would automatically set the game I was streaming to "other" even if I had it set to Sea of Thieves beforehand. So once i started streaming I had to go into a browser window to my mixer dashboard and set it back to Sea of Thieves for it to actually track my progress. If youve streamed for 5 minutes and havent gotten the sails or rep tab, double check on this.

Cokomon

One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017
Hey, I've found a minor issue since the latest update and I'm wondering if anyone else is experiencing it. The issue is that equipment seems to get changed out during a new session. Sometimes the game remembers what I had equipped before, but often times it likes to revert to some other set of equipment. I change it in the equipment chest, but next session it'll be back to the wrong equipment.

Is anyone else getting this?

OmarTheHippo

Oct 27, 2017
Hey, I've found a minor issue since the latest update and I'm wondering if anyone else is experiencing it. The issue is that equipment seems to get changed out during a new session. Sometimes the game remembers what I had equipped before, but often times it likes to revert to some other set of equipment. I change it in the equipment chest, but next session it'll be back to the wrong equipment.

Is anyone else getting this?
Yup, it's a known bug

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Totally wore out the sticks on my Sea of Thieves controller so swapped them out with some SHORES OF GOLD sticks. I think they look real good!

EFKER6TWkAow_d8

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
its shocking to me how many players when they start chasing me will willingly follow me directly into the red sea. even if they show off every sailing trick beforehand, i'll just get to the edge and pull my sails up so they get as close as i want them and they'll refuse to turn back until we're both in the dark sky crimson sea area of the shroud.

OmarTheHippo

Oct 27, 2017
its shocking to me how many players when they start chasing me will willingly follow me directly into the red sea. even if they show off every sailing trick beforehand, i'll just get to the edge and pull my sails up so they get as close as i want them and they'll refuse to turn back until we're both in the dark sky crimson sea area of the shroud.
Is that crazy? I've chased multiple ships into the red. My crew has nothing to lose, might as well chase them and guarantee they sink. Especially if they've been running a long time. Then you're committed

It's no skin off our nose if it turns into a mutual suicide (ship respawns are free) but we do wonder why they didn't just turn and fight if they were going to sink themselves anyways. Too many people run/scuttle/suicide without putting up a fight and getting experience. Never understood it

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Is that crazy? I've chased multiple ships into the red. My crew has nothing to lose, might as well chase them and guarantee they sink. Especially if they've been running a long time. Then you're committed

It's no skin off our nose if it turns into a mutual suicide (ship respawns are free) but we do wonder why they didn't just turn and fight if they were going to sink themselves anyways. Too many people run/scuttle/suicide without putting up a fight and getting experience. Never understood it
if you're chasing someone you either want loot or a fight, to follow into the red sea even when its clear thats what the pursued wants you to do is to desperately try to admit yourself that you havent been wasting your time.

I mean you yourself cant even last one sentence after saying how little you care to before trying to play armchair psychologist that people who avoid fights are just denying themselves being good at the game, it clearly pushes your buttons.

Last edited:

OmarTheHippo

Oct 27, 2017
if you're chasing someone you either want loot or a fight, to follow into the red sea even when its clear thats what the pursued wants you to do is to desperately try to admit yourself that you havent been wasting your time.
I mean, you lose what, an extra minute to follow them into the red? You guarantee they sink and you'll easily get back that minute by respawning closer to your next adventure

I'd rather have loot or a fight. But I definitely don't want to allow people to think sailing toward the red sea is a get-out-of-sinking-free card

Last edited:

Niceguydan8

Nov 1, 2017

I mean you yourself cant even last one sentence after saying how little you care to before trying to play armchair psychologist that people who avoid fights are just denying themselves being good at the game, it clearly pushes your buttons.

Am I missing something, or does this come across as just really salty? Maybe it's the choice of wording.

Roldan

Oct 29, 2017
I never thought this would happen, but I'm starting to get tired of the game. Maybe it's the fact I didn't like the new event much and the cosmetics were eh.

Welp, here's hoping this month's event is better.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My still #1 issue is I feel like its so much work to get a good game going.

I need to LFG a crew and alott like a minimum of 4-5 hours to play and hope my crew of randos is fun and we run into some fun encounters.

Cokomon

One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017
I'm hoping that October's update adds a bit more than just reskinned Voyages. I'm guessing has something to do with Skull Forts, based on the name.

SpokkX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My still #1 issue is I feel like its so much work to get a good game going.

I need to LFG a crew and alott like a minimum of 4-5 hours to play and hope my crew of randos is fun and we run into some fun encounters.

Yeah this is the main issue for me too

Sometimes play with a friend but want to enjoy it "solo" without voice chat sometimes

It works really well with some randos - but like 25% of the time... would lika to matchmake with players that share a similar goal easy

Like a matchmaking preference "loot forts", "some type of voyage", "hunt other players" etc

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah this is the main issue for me too

Sometimes play with a friend but want to enjoy it "solo" without voice chat sometimes

It works really well with some randos - but like 25% of the time... would lika to matchmake with players that share a similar goal easy

Like a matchmaking preference "loot forts", "some type of voyage", "hunt other players" etc

Seems the obvious solution is to implement a lobby server browser. Overwatch has one on consoles as well and a built in LFG feature where you can tag what you want to do or what you are looking for.

Roldan

Oct 29, 2017
Aaaanyway, I'll stop my whining because the OT is on spotlight now. Hooray!

Anyone new to the game or willing to give it a shot: please do so! We'll be happy to help. It's an incredibly amazing game. :)

EDIT: It's 50% off for the next... 5 hours on the Microsoft Store. Or, you know, for free if you sub to Game Pass. :P

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
I feel Rare has been fairly quiet on Arena these last weeks. Hope they've got more improvements planned besides the addition of 2 player sloops.

Bruceleeroy

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orange County
I just got this bad boy downloaded on Gamepass for me and my friend. We were hoping to start playing it together. How difficult is it to be in a party / crew together?

OP
OP
Sikamikanico

Sikamikanico

Oct 25, 2017
I just got this bad boy downloaded on Gamepass for me and my friend. We were hoping to start playing it together. How difficult is it to be in a party / crew together?

You should ABSOLUTELY play with friends. A Duo Sloop is fun, but the game is at it's best with 3 or 4, so certainly worth trying to get some more pals. If you've never played before, I would start with the Tall Tales. Great intro to a lot of mechanics and a wicked story to boot.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018

What do you mean with difficult? Difficult to get in a party, or difficult to play as a new crew?

It's really easy to play together. You can play with a 2 player sloop, 3 player brigantine or 4 player galleon. EIther on a closed (private) crew or an open (public) crew.

In Arena, the PvP mode, you can only play on a 4 player galleon as of now. But 2 player sloops are coming.

poropat

Created an alt account to abuse the GiftBot system
Banned
Aug 23, 2018
I should really get back into this game, it looks like a new game now.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They need to rethink things and go full battle Royale with that sweet naval twist. Last. Ship. Standing.

Honestly as tired out as BR is... I think it would work really well for like an hourish long mode.

6 ships. Starting at literally all corners of the map. (Or maybe you can select where you would like to spawn, whether its pinpoint or choosing your region. You start with 10 planks. 10 Cannonballs. 10 Bananas. You gotta gear up. The shroud then starts closing in. High tier loot (good cursed cannonballs, cooked food, maybe kegs/harpoon rowboats can be found in forts and the devils roar.)

Gotta check the map every now and then to see where the shroud is closing in on.

I'd also say you get unlimited lives but only 1 ship life. If your ship is destroyed you get a sort of last stand in that you can stay in the game, but can't respawn. Could lead to some fun stuff like a last ditch effort to keg a ship and kill its crew.

OP
OP
Sikamikanico

Sikamikanico

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly as tired out as BR is... I think it would work really well for like an hourish long mode.

6 ships. Starting at literally all corners of the map. (Or maybe you can select where you would like to spawn, whether its pinpoint or choosing your region. You start with 10 planks. 10 Cannonballs. 10 Bananas. You gotta gear up. The shroud then starts closing in. High tier loot (good cursed cannonballs, cooked food, maybe kegs/harpoon rowboats can be found in forts and the devils roar.)

Gotta check the map every now and then to see where the shroud is closing in on.

I'd also say you get unlimited lives but only 1 ship life. If your ship is destroyed you get a sort of last stand in that you can stay in the game, but can't respawn. Could lead to some fun stuff like a last ditch effort to keg a ship and kill its crew.

Yup. I wrote a piece on it - I had similar thoughts.

Oct 29, 2017

I just don't understand why there needs to be alternate modes in this game. Rare could implement these more competitive mechanics within the regular adventure mode, and it'd be so much better. Again, so much could be done with some form of a bounty system that is session specific. Could easily imagine a mechanic where you check in at an outpost and an NPC gives you general information about the most dangerous ships on the sea (within the server). And then you could potentially get rewards based on your play style from there. Destroy the scourge of the seas to make the seas safer for other players? Receive "good" rep. Kill all ships on site? Receive "bad" rep.

This idea that SoT needs separate modes outside of adventure is so frustrating. The thing that made this game exciting is that it's totally unlike other multiplayer games and that there is no clear "right way" to play the game. The problem with introducing other modes is that it just encourages part of your playerbase to do certain activities in very straightforward and structured ways instead of all of the creative exciting things that can happen emergently in the adventure mode.

I definitely agree with others that a true battle royale is better than the current arena mode. But in my opinion, this split out mode is still an overall negative in this game, and feels like pandering to a focus tested market group instead of doing something interesting with the game and its mechanics. I'm just going to be really disapointed if/when a SoT 2 is made there is a bunch of split out "multiplayer" modes, due to a confused synthesis of focus tested questions and listening to users.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Based on insider notes... I may come back for the Halloween event. Sounds like a lot of fun.

SuperPac

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Something I still don't understand after many months of playing this... Players who fire a shot or two at you while they're sailing by, and then run when you pursue. If you start a fight, you best be prepared to finish it. Or you can't be shocked when you are caught/sunk and your treasure taken.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
New content update is coming in two days. It's probably Halloween themed. But we know little to nothing about it yet.

Rare has confirmed working on private servers by the way.