• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
Private servers? Good for the people that want them, but can't help but feel they'll only get half the game. Eh.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017

tenor.gif

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Hmmm, just logged into the game and I have zero gold and zero doubloons.

Actually, just had 30 doubloons pop from Insider rewards so I've now got 30 doubloons, not the 900 odd that I should have. Slightly concerning. Hope it's temporary.

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Hmmm, just logged into the game and I have zero gold and zero doubloons.

Actually, just had 30 doubloons pop from Insider rewards so I've now got 30 doubloons, not the 900 odd that I should have. Slightly concerning. Hope it's temporary.
my friend had the same issue. i think its server issues cus mine showed up but wouldnt deplete as i bought things

Johnohno

Hero of Bowerstone
Nov 6, 2017
Pretty stacked update for a monthly one but I feel like the Fort of the Damned bit itself is going to be such a massive time sink. Have to collect all the flames and do a voyage for ritual skulls before you can even start it? Seems like a lot!

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
Only if you have literally nothing else to do in your life, of course.

Looks like a good update, especially for a monthly one! Getting all the lights is a bitch of a task in and of itself.

I'd play but WoW Classic has consumed me :(

Johnohno

Hero of Bowerstone
Nov 6, 2017
Yes, but you only have to do all that and clear the fort 50 times

At least the forts aren't timed I don't think. I'm interested to see how you'll be able to activate them once they remove the timed quests for getting the ritual skulls.

I love the game but find some decisions baffling. Like the voyage for getting a ritual skull has you go and kill a skeleton captain, who drops a map to a skull that's buried elsewhere.... Why not just have the skeleton captain drop the ritual skull as its head when it's killed? Makes no sense.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Did my first Fort of the Damned last night and had a GREAT TIME. Seriously, was incredibly fun. Had one of those classic social experiences. Like how forts used to be.

Spend too long getting all of the lights. Ritual skull was easy. Pink light was our last one and we tracked down a rival crew to get the kill. Managed to forge an alliance but they didn't have mics so we couldn't explain our intentions of doing the fort (so that they could help). Managed to make one of them kill me anyway so I got our final light.

Made our way to the Fort of the Damned only to find that every lantern was already lit so we didn't need the lights... Dammit. Regardless, we had our ritual skull now and we were ready. So we started the event. Two of us (on a sloop) having a great time co-ordinating the colours so we could take out the skellies. I hadn't read anything about the event so we were working it out and looking forward to what was to come. Eventually we hear an 'AHOY!' and realise our buddies had turned up. Cool! We start discussing how we're gonna deal with this once the treasure vault is open. Do we backstab them? Share the loot? No time to discuss it now really, the boss is up and, predictably, he has a metric fuckton of HP and we're all just constantly dying. After 15 minutes of whacking him non stop my crewmate shouts they they see another ship incoming. A third crew! We all get defensive and one of them tries to board our ship. We tell them that we want an alliance and all is cool but don't come onto our ship. We kill him. They join the alliance and we all continue working on the boss.

Eventually we take him down. It took too long to be honest. It was a bit messy and there wasn't much skill towards the end. We finished it by taking him to the shore and lighting him up with cannons. So someone grabs the key and we all sprint up to the vault. My crewmate says "is there a stronghold keg? I'm gonna blow it up" and I turn 180 and sprint away from the vault. BOOOOOM. I run back just in time to see everyone's nametag fade away. He literally killed everyone apart from me... seven casualties! So I grab the Chest of Legends and race back to the ship and we make our escape, leaving the rest of the loot (Reaper's Chests, skulls, powder etc) to the other two crews. They all spam ROFL in the chat so I think we're all cool. Everyone stayed in the alliance while we sold so we all benefited anyway. Was a real good way to end it.

Johnohno

Hero of Bowerstone
Nov 6, 2017
The problem with commendations when in an alliance is they don't count for everyone. So if somebody in one of your alliance crews got the final hit for the boss, they'll get the commendation for completing the fort and you won't. You just get to share the loot.

SuperPac

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
The problem with commendations when in an alliance is they don't count for everyone. So if somebody in one of your alliance crews got the final hit for the boss, they'll get the commendation for completing the fort and you won't. You just get to share the loot.

That was not what happened in my case, anyway - no alliance and we were the only crew in the area.

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
At least the forts aren't timed I don't think. I'm interested to see how you'll be able to activate them once they remove the timed quests for getting the ritual skulls.

I love the game but find some decisions baffling. Like the voyage for getting a ritual skull has you go and kill a skeleton captain, who drops a map to a skull that's buried elsewhere.... Why not just have the skeleton captain drop the ritual skull as its head when it's killed? Makes no sense.
Its hinting at how you get the ritual skulls without the voyage. Theres emergent captains now that drop an x marks the spot voyage upon death and the skulls are part of the loot pool.

SuperPac

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Its hinting at how you get the ritual skulls without the voyage. Theres emergent captains now that drop an x marks the spot voyage upon death and the skulls are part of the loot pool.

I think 50 clears of that fort for the legendary commendation is ridiculous. Even 25 clears might be out of my reach. I have cleared 87 standard forts in the 18 months the game's been out. Only done the Devil's Roar fort maybe twice... I guess I'll just write off the Fort of the Damned as another Bilge Rat section I'll never fully complete along with the Shrouded Ghost. Makes me a little bit sad.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I think 50 clears of that fort for the legendary commendation is ridiculous. Even 25 clears might be out of my reach. I have cleared 87 standard forts in the 18 months the game's been out. Only done the Devil's Roar fort maybe twice... I guess I'll just write off the Fort of the Damned as another Bilge Rat section I'll never fully complete along with the Shrouded Ghost. Makes me a little bit sad.

Never stop believing in the Shrouded Ghost. You'll get it one day, I believe in you.

In the meantime just name your pet 'Shrouded Ghost' so you can shout 'I've got Shrouded Ghost!' at people.

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
its pretty clear the legendary commendation is geared at the people who a year ago were loudly upset their "1000 foul skulls" etc commendations were nerfed even if they now get upset every time the game caters to exactly what they said they wanted.

the event items and achievment cap out at doing it ten times and its a permanent addition, i wouldnt worry about the fifty if it doesnt sound fun.

SuperPac

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Cleared the fort a second time. This time, it was as a galleon crew. We spawned in at Golden Sands and the fort had already been activated. We sailed over kinda light on supplies and sank the galleon that was there easily (only one person was on the boat firing back at our cannons). They were on the last wave of color skellies before Graymarrow appeared and it didn't take THAT long for us to finish him off. I feel slightly bad that we just sailed up and took this crew's hard work getting the lanterns and a ritual skull and clearing the first waves... but... I'm SURE that this same scenario will happen to me in the future. Saw two sloops and a brigantine on the server after we sank the gally but no one else approached.

OmarTheHippo

Oct 27, 2017
I've cleared the fort 5 times. All without an alliance. 2 counted, 2 didn't, 1 the captain key glitched into a rock (so definitely didn't count)

Commendations have always been glitchy but this one is definitely worse than normal. They've had issues with fort commendations since the beginning—people used to argue about who got to open the vault door or turn in the vault skull because commendations were bugged

Roldan

Oct 29, 2017
Just had my first FotD experience, and it was... something else entirely, lol.

After spending a lot of time getting the lanterns, we sailed to the fort, put the skull and started killing the skeletons. Ten minutes in, a brig comes in from a blind spot (we were on a brig as well). We had gunpowder kegs, cursed cannonballs etc., so we had the upper hand and sunk them after some fighting. I found two of their crew in the ferry of the damned, and they suddenly disappeared -- they probably quit, which meant it was one less worry.

Some time passes, and a galleon comes close, but this time we saw them coming and prepared ourselves for it. It ended up being one of those fights where no one boards the other ship and everyone in both crews repairs faster than the damage suffered -- in other words, we were all just wasting resources... Until another galleon comes in hoisting the alliance flag! I usually don't like the idea of making friends with other crews in this game, but it was our only chance of winning, and consequently doing the fort. So I quickly joined their alliance, and we had a fight in which we harpooned the enemy galleon, while they harpooned the alliance galleon. The three ships were tethered to each other, while circling and exchanging fire. Crazy!

After that, the enemy galleon quickly sunk and we resumed the fort alongside our new acquaintances. We split up our roles as killing skeletons and attacking the boss in order to avoid friendly fire, and after a lot of suffering we managed to kill the captain. They insisted a lot that we should keep all the treasure on their ship, as the galleon could take more hits and had way more resources. That smelled to me like a possible betrayal (they could simply arrive at the outpost, cancel the alliance and sell everything), so I asked them to not only split the treasure, but also mix the crew between the two ships. So we did that.

There were A LOT of other ships surrounding us when we were looting the vault -- like, probably everyone else in the server --, but thankfully none of us attacked directly. That is, until we arrive at Plunder Outpost and I see a mermaid there. I keep warning everyone from the galleon crew that it's very likely someone is on the island, but none of them pay much attention. They grab the Athena, manage to sell it, but then die by some unindentified pirate (and after that they got VERY startled. But I warned them many times!) Right after that, two stronghold kegs on the galleon's crow's nest are blown up by an unknown sniper shot. Chaos ensues.

We did manage to find the single dude who was camping at the outpost, killed him, and shared the loot. Much to my surprise, there was no betrayal from our alliance pals in the end, but if I were in their place (bigger crew, more resources and all), I surely would have done the backstab right after finishing the fort. Lol

It was a lot of fun, though!

SuperPac

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Just had my first FotD experience, and it was... something else entirely, lol.

Awesome! The seas seem a lot spicier with this fort around. Will be interesting to watch how things develop once this event is over. Good to feel like PVP is "back" in Adventure mode.

The fort, having the skellie ship cloud in the middle of the map, and possible skellie ship spawns, the emergent captains with high-level loot maps - this is a strong update. I feel like they need to do something with the Devil's Roar fort next.

spyroflame0487

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
Maybe they'll only have private servers for Arena. I hope they'll do it like that tbh.
I dunno, I'd really like them to do private servers for regular gameplay.
All they'd have to do is half payouts for things. I mean, I'd really like to just play with my buddies at night after being at work all day but spending 4 hours trying to do the story missions so you can actually take in some lore in the game only to have someone blast and sink your ship at the end of it (basically wasting the entiretly of those 4 hours) really kind of stinks.

Halving payouts is a perfectly acceptable alternative on private servers. Allow me to sail around and collect loot with friends and not get paid as much. (Obviously there would still be NPC threats like Kraken, Sharks, Ghost ships, etc.)

OmarTheHippo

Oct 27, 2017
All they'd have to do is half payouts for things. I mean, I'd really like to just play with my buddies at night after being at work all day but spending 4 hours trying to do the story missions so you can actually take in some lore in the game only to have someone blast and sink your ship at the end of it (basically wasting the entiretly of those 4 hours) really kind of stinks.

Halving payouts is a perfectly acceptable alternative on private servers. Allow me to sail around and collect loot with friends and not get paid as much. (Obviously there would still be NPC threats like Kraken, Sharks, Ghost ships, etc.)

SuperPac

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA

I'm really curious as to how they'll do private servers in a way that wouldn't make the standard Adventure mode redundant. That's probably either a paid service, some kind of minimum player count that'd need to be achieved/kept for the server to remain private, Arena-based lobbies, or some kind of combination of those. Halving rewards would be OK for players at lower levels but once you get past level 30 in any company you'd barely be making progress.

OmarTheHippo

Oct 27, 2017
Lmao now, this was an absolute disaster, but I have a LOT more confidence in Rare and Microsoft than I do with Bethesda and Fallout 76.
I certainly wouldn't mind paying a bit either for it (not that $100 tag)
Honestly the script sounds identical to how Rare would do it

-Private invite only worlds
-Fast travel between islands
-Bonus gold
-Exclusive outfits
-Exclusive emotes

The only thing Rare is missing is the base building and persistent world. So drop the captaincy update to customize and decorate your ship, and then announce base building as the next logical step...

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
RE: base building.

In the forums way back in the alphas the Executive Producer said that they wanted to do something along the lines of player controlled forts.

SuperPac

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Gold and Glory start tomorrow. Pretty awesome. The Fort of the Damned would be worth almost 120k in gold with this - which will almost certainly mean it'll be next to impossible to complete it (depending on the intent of other players on the server, that is).

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Was in a crew that was pretty open to alliances because none of us needed the rep and we figured getting the standard amount of gold from the fort aint a bad payday if our alliance cashes it all in so we started teaming up with people and muscling out the crews just looking to steal/grief off the server and eventually had a full server allied up for most of the seven runs of the fort i was apart of

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
if you go to Comixology and use the codes SOTGOLD, SOT_GMU, and SOT_SEER you can unlock issues in a miniseries that details backstories to some of the trading company representatives. Dont know how long the offer lasts

SuperPac

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA

It's live and it's spectacular.

Will be very interesting to see how fire changes things up in PVP. While your ship being on fire isn't an immediate sinking threat, it definitely puts additional pressure on that crew to put things out or meet a potential death more easily as your health ticks down.