• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
GDQ inspired me to finally sit down and learn some of the more advanced movesets in Super Mario World. I've had an awareness of many possible things but I've never actually put hands on a controller and tried to execute some stuff. Dropping into something like Kaizo Mario World cold with no real practical knowledge of what to do is a bit daunting. Fortunately NeXuS15 put together the Learn 2 Kaizo hack which breaks things up so each level is a single trick to learn and after going through a few it gives you a test with all the things you learned combined into a larger level.

I just wrapped up the first test and the ramp up has felt really solid. The section I got the most hung up was the screenshot below. It was tricky to figure out how to maintain the horizontal momentum needed to make the timing window. At first I thought you had to jump at the very last pixel and was worried maybe some lag in my setup was going to make it incredibly difficult but fortunately it is much simpler than it seems.

Playing this has also really underscored how big of a difference Mario Maker is in the specifics and minutia of SMW. If you've ever considered jumping into the weird world of SMW hacks this looks like a pretty good way to get your feet wet.

EQ86arh.png

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly anyone who has played through SMW is not going to have an extremely difficult time with the first area and test. The second area looks to be where the real shit starts, though it is obviously doable. I just need to get better consistency on the grab/jump block trick (to be fair it has to be done in the same frame), and for whatever reason I am having a real hard time getting a feel for the shell jump. I know once I've done it enough it will do the brain unlock where it feels totally natural but just one of those early hurdles.

Short fail reel for fun.

Edit: Hell yes. Dialed in.

Last edited:

FerrisBueller

Jul 15, 2018
UK
I used to post in the Gaf SNES thread when that was a thing, and although I don't post on here I couldn't resist after seeing this thread. I've only bought one SNES/SFC game in the last year (Rockman 7), but it feels like I'm getting back in the mood for it. Here's where I'm at so far

I feel like I know about most games by now, and stuff like Chrono Trigger, Super Mario RPG etc are ones I'm always keeping an eye out for, but any recommendations for any games based on what I've got or what I might like would be nice :)

DaveLong

Nov 2, 2017
It's pricey, but I don't see Hagane among your owned games. It'll cost you if you want it complete, but it's under $100 if you get the Japanese cartridge only. It is well worth it.

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
Cool collection. Not often you see a larger boxed PAL collection. First thing that catches my eye is Super Turrican 1 and 2. Not sure if you heard but when Analogue released the Super Nt, Factor 5 included their previously unreleased Director's Cut of the game as an exclusive. It was completed back in the day but had to be trimmed down to a smaller cart size for cost. I admit it odd to pick up a whole system for that one thing but an HDMI SNES might be up your alley anyway and it comes with a box as a little bonus. No cart, to be clear, as the game is "built in" to the system.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2017/10/analogue-adds-unreleased-snes-game-to-its-super-nt-hardware/

supert-640x468.jpg

FerrisBueller

Jul 15, 2018
UK
It's pricey, but I don't see Hagane among your owned games. It'll cost you if you want it complete, but it's under $100 if you get the Japanese cartridge only. It is well worth it.
Ooh yeah i always forget about Hagane, it does look really cool. I'll add it to my bookmarks so I can keep an eye out fot it with some of he others, thanks!

Cool collection. Not often you see a larger boxed PAL collection. First thing that catches my eye is Super Turrican 1 and 2. Not sure if you heard but when Analogue released the Super Nt, Factor 5 included their previously unreleased Director's Cut of the game as an exclusive. It was completed back in the day but had to be trimmed down to a smaller cart size for cost. I admit it odd to pick up a whole system for that one thing but an HDMI SNES might be up your alley anyway and it comes with a box as a little bonus. No cart, to be clear, as the game is "built in" to the system.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2017/10/analogue-adds-unreleased-snes-game-to-its-super-nt-hardware/

supert-640x468.jpg
Ah yeah I remember briefly hearing something about that, but I wasn't really sure what it was as I know pretty much nothing about those consoles. It's not something I would buy the system for like you said, but it would be cool to have an HDMI SNES, so it's something to keep in mind :) Thanks.

Metalix

Oct 28, 2017
That's a banging collection, only things that come to mind are Illusion of Gaia looks naked not being flanked by Soul Blazer & Terranigma. There was a Zombies 2, as well IIRC.

DaveLong

Nov 2, 2017
Ooh yeah i always forget about Hagane, it does look really cool. I'll add it to my bookmarks so I can keep an eye out fot it with some of he others, thanks!

Ah yeah I remember briefly hearing something about that, but I wasn't really sure what it was as I know pretty much nothing about those consoles. It's not something I would buy the system for like you said, but it would be cool to have an HDMI SNES, so it's something to keep in mind :) Thanks.
Wait! I just noticed too... you have Pocky and Rocky 2 but not the original! The original is the best one. That's something else to add to your list. Another pricey one, but worth it IMO. I have a complete boxed US copy myself, purchased at release, and it's treasured. :)

Also... to get a better handle on what you might want to add to that selection, watch a bunch of videos on YouTube by SNES Drunk! He has a great way of quickly describing games and showing you what to look for and why. His episodes that look at games from Japan that never made it out are superb for giving you English friendly things to hunt for.

https://www.youtube.com/user/1SNESdrunk

Last edited:

FerrisBueller

Jul 15, 2018
UK
That's a banging collection, only things that come to mind are Illusion of Gaia looks naked not being flanked by Soul Blazer & Terranigma. There was a Zombies 2, as well IIRC.
Thanks! I need to complete Illusion of Gaia first, when I do I'm sure I'll be wanting to get those two :D

Wait! I just noticed too... you have Pocky and Rocky 2 but not the original! The original is the best one. That's something else to add to your list. Another pricey one, but worth it IMO. I have a complete boxed US copy myself, purchased at release, and it's treasured. :)

Also... to get a better handle on what you might want to add to that selection, watch a bunch of videos on YouTube by SNES Drunk! He has a great way of quickly describing games and showing you what to look for and why. His episodes that look at games from Japan that never made it out are superb for giving you things to hunt for.

https://www.youtube.com/user/1SNESdrunk
I was in the right place at the right time for Pocky and Rocky 2, I didn't think I'd get either of them for the prices they go for, but I got lucky. I will hopefully get the first some time, it doesn't feel right to have the second but not the first!

I've seen a few of SNES Drunk's videos before when searching for SFC games, but I've never been a regular viewer, I'll have to change that and subscribe so I get to see everything.

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
Appropriate that my figurative wall is a literal wall. I know exactly what to do but executing said thing is another matter entirely.

J465k5m.png

dubc

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Appropriate that my figurative wall is a literal wall. I know exactly what to do but executing said thing is another matter entirely.

J465k5m.png
Ha, I have no idea what Kaizo Mario World is but I'm going to check it out and that rom hack. I doubt I'll get anywhere but fun to add "new" content to SMW that I didn't know about.

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
Ha, I have no idea what Kaizo Mario World is but I'm going to check it out and that rom hack. I doubt I'll get anywhere but fun to add "new" content to SMW that I didn't know about.
Kaizo stuff can be pretty rough but is fun if you feel like getting into the real nitty gritty specifics of mario's moves and the way things interact.

If you want to try something that is more standard SMW design then Return to Dinosaur Land is always a good start. It is a vanilla hack, that is it does not change or add anything about the base game. Just new levels and twists on familiar things. Good if you've played through SMW a ton of times and looking for something fresh.

dubc

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Kaizo stuff can be pretty rough but is fun if you feel like getting into the real nitty gritty specifics of mario's moves and the way things interact.

If you want to try something that is more standard SMW design then Return to Dinosaur Land is always a good start. It is a vanilla hack, that is it does not change or add anything about the base game. Just new levels and twists on familiar things. Good if you've played through SMW a ton of times and looking for something fresh.
Cool, thanks!

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
I want to start replacing batteries in my SNES games. Is it better to buy the batteries that solder straight onto the board or to put on holders for replaceable batteries?

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
I want to start replacing batteries in my SNES games. Is it better to buy the batteries that solder straight onto the board or to put on holders for replaceable batteries?
I've done it both ways and I slightly prefer not using the holders only because I've never found one slim enough where I feel like I am not smashing it when closing the cart up. But it really isn't a big deal and either way is fine.

dubc

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
GDQ inspired me to finally sit down and learn some of the more advanced movesets in Super Mario World. I've had an awareness of many possible things but I've never actually put hands on a controller and tried to execute some stuff. Dropping into something like Kaizo Mario World cold with no real practical knowledge of what to do is a bit daunting. Fortunately NeXuS15 put together the Learn 2 Kaizo hack which breaks things up so each level is a single trick to learn and after going through a few it gives you a test with all the things you learned combined into a larger level.

I just wrapped up the first test and the ramp up has felt really solid. The section I got the most hung up was the screenshot below. It was tricky to figure out how to maintain the horizontal momentum needed to make the timing window. At first I thought you had to jump at the very last pixel and was worried maybe some lag in my setup was going to make it incredibly difficult but fortunately it is much simpler than it seems.

Playing this has also really underscored how big of a difference Mario Maker is in the specifics and minutia of SMW. If you've ever considered jumping into the weird world of SMW hacks this looks like a pretty good way to get your feet wet.

EQ86arh.png
How do you apply this hack? I'm used to .ips files, this is a .bps file which Lunar IPS is not a fan of it seems.

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15
Loved these retro collecting threads at the old place. Loved seeing everyone's collections and pickups.

Big post incoming sorry! Here's what I currently have.

CIB games.
6BPXUQm.jpg

No4qVF3.jpg

bkSDqzd.jpg

yHtDoeH.jpg

Loose games, and manuals.
DoKyRrD.jpg

xch5ZUo.jpg

FL4YUA6.jpg

JoFdPD2.jpg

aR6cctU.jpg

IvMAmHb.jpg

gsgmbUr.jpg

UUZFGAV.jpg

Last edited:

Westonian

Oct 27, 2017
I got the Super NT last week, and now I've got the itch to start trying to re-build my SNES collection from my childhood. I don't care to try and own every rare/great game, but just the ones I loved playing as a teenager back in the 90s.

I hit up my local retro game store at lunch and grabbed these three gems:
6rLYit7.jpg

Here's hoping the FFIII battery is newish and good.

I started making a wish list and I can already tell this is going to start getting expensive.

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15
I got the Super NT last week, and now I've got the itch to start trying to re-build my SNES collection from my childhood. I don't care to try and own every rare/great game, but just the ones I loved playing as a teenager back in the 90s.

I hit up my local retro game store at lunch and grabbed these three gems:
6rLYit7.jpg

Here's hoping the FFIII battery is newish and good.

I started making a wish list and I can already tell this is going to start getting expensive.

Cool man! Started off with some real good ones at least. Hope you get the ones you want at a decent price.

Westonian

Oct 27, 2017
FF III battery is good! I swung by two more game stores on my way home from work and picked up Super Metroid (w/ box but no manual), Spinstar, Smart Ball, and some loose manuals, including the map for FFIII.

I think I'm going to make a rule that I can buy more games once I beat the games I already have. It's either that or lie to my wife and tell her I have a gambling problem to explain where all the money is going.

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Need help with my SNES. My dog bumped into my SNES today, just slightly, and it caused my SNES to freeze and it ended up wiping all my save files on A Link to the Past. I'm pretty devastated, all those hours into my save file lost. Probably not going to replay the game at this point, too much to redo. Which is a shame, I enjoyed the game, but I hate replaying most games. My question is, is this pretty normal behavior for a SNES or should I look into replacing it? I don't think I can handle having another huge save file wiped because the dog or kid bumps the console.

Laevateinn

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
Need help with my SNES. My dog bumped into my SNES today, just slightly, and it caused my SNES to freeze and it ended up wiping all my save files on A Link to the Past. I'm pretty devastated, all those hours into my save file lost. Probably not going to replay the game at this point, too much to redo. Which is a shame, I enjoyed the game, but I hate replaying most games. My question is, is this pretty normal behavior for a SNES or should I look into replacing it? I don't think I can handle having another huge save file wiped because the dog or kid bumps the console.
I've had this happen. If you jostle the cart it will short the pins and wipe your save.

You should replay Zelda though. Give it a couple months and come back to it. It's one of the best games ever and can be completed in under five hours with some practice.

sixteen-bit

Oct 30, 2017
Use this opportunity to play Link Between Worlds instead which is kinda like LTTP except better in every way.

Westonian

Oct 27, 2017
I think I have a problem...

In the past week I've also picked up:
Secret of Mana 2 (Full box, cart and manual from OCDReproductions)
Bahamut Lagoon (OCDR)
Terranigma (OCDR)
Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island
Final Fantasy II
Super Mario RPG (label is kind rough)

What's really cool is that since I bought the Super NT and started playing these games, my 8-year old son has asked to play as well, and he thinks they're "better than our PS4 games". Granted, he's 8 and I get the feeling his interest is primarily based on the novelty and the fact his dad loves them. Still, I think it's fair to say that the SNES really holds up even against modern games. I still believe it is the greatest console ever.

So...Krazy Klown in Crazy Chase...any positive thoughts on this game, or did I just completely waste my money?

I'm just assuming there's something people enjoyed about it, as it also got a GBA port. At least, I'm really hoping.

Metalix

Oct 28, 2017
Are there any other good SNES books you would recommend?

Console Wars & Game Over (the latter I think has less fabricated conversations) do cover what was going on at Nintendo during the SNES' time in the sun, liked both of them. Liked Michael P. Williams book on Chrono Trigger as well, breezed through it in an afternoon!

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
^
Nice. I am waiting for my SD2SNES Pro to arrive. Got to the States on Monday, so I was kind of expecting it today or tomorrow. No luck today.

Can't wait to see what they do with all the extra power this thing has.

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15
Loose, although I remember the days of it being complete for $200. Also bought it from Estarland took that little extra hit in price to make sure it's a legit copy.

So...Krazy Klown in Crazy Chase...any positive thoughts on this game, or did I just completely waste my money?

I'm just assuming there's something people enjoyed about it, as it also got a GBA port. At least, I'm really hoping.

It's alright some of the obstacles are a little cheap though. The animations are great at least.

Last edited:

Westonian

Oct 27, 2017
Ended up finally buying Earthbound. Never spent $200 on a single retro game before.
I'm still not sure I could spend that much on a single cart (SD2SNES is an exception). Maybe if I got a big raise or something and was feeling frivolous. That and Chrono Trigger are going to be the tough purchases for me.

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
I've healed enough now that I want to start replacing my SNES game batteries. Does anyone have a recommendation on a soldering iron? I want one good enough to do the job, but I don't want to spend hundreds of dollars on a high end one. All I'll ever use it for is to replace my SNES game batteries.

I've healed enough now that I want to start replacing my SNES game batteries. Does anyone have a recommendation on a soldering iron? I want one good enough to do the job, but I don't want to spend hundreds of dollars on a high end one. All I'll ever use it for is to replace my SNES game batteries.

This video is all you need:

Can verify, this is an excellent soldering iron. A few caveats to this video, though:
1) It took me well over 2 months to get the iron from the day I ordered it. The time may be shorter now, but YMMV.
2) To have any tracking from this site, you need to create an account. I did not, so I had no clue where my product was. Customer service was not great, either.
3) He knows what he's talking about, so I'm sure the recommended tips are just fine. But, I just went ahead and bought Hakko T12 tips, just to be extra sure I'm getting quality.

Buy this and never want for a quality soldering iron, at least for a long time.

Westonian

Oct 27, 2017

Thanks for the advice! I've been thinking about delving into some of the more exotic console mods for RGB and HD output. I just need to practice my steady hands technique.

This past week a local game store liquidated some dude's massive collection for him. They announced it on their Facebook page and silly me for thinking showing up 15 minutes early would be good enough. There must have been 50 people in line when I got there. I missed out on my most wanted stuff, but I did pick up TMNT Tournament Fighters and MKII for pretty cheap (along with some GBA and Gamecube games).

I scored a pretty good bundle deal from a seller over on NintendoAge that comes in the mail tomorrow:

Final Fantasy Mystic Quest
Illusion of Gaia
Secret of Mana
Super Street Fighter II

Not bad for $70 shipped.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Has anyone here played both the SNES and PS1 versions of Final Fantasy VI? How much of a dealbreaker are the loading times for you? I ask because I have both versions but the latter on the Vita and I'm much more inclined to play a long JRPG on a portable. Really wish the Wii U version of FF6 at least left Japan.

Deleted member 1162

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Can verify, this is an excellent soldering iron. A few caveats to this video, though:
1) It took me well over 2 months to get the iron from the day I ordered it. The time may be shorter now, but YMMV.
2) To have any tracking from this site, you need to create an account. I did not, so I had no clue where my product was. Customer service was not great, either.
3) He knows what he's talking about, so I'm sure the recommended tips are just fine. But, I just went ahead and bought Hakko T12 tips, just to be extra sure I'm getting quality.

i'd be careful, the Chinese Company not sending the same product even with the link provided. probably bc everyone is buying they're being rushed out.
https://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=64289