• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
Just a note as I'm watching the episode; the audio for the song was done poorly. The animal voice lines are incredibly low.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
Oh, based on the pre-episode pictures I thought Homer joined the circus. They really look-a-like.

OP
OP
UberTag

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
DQAnYw9jsgH3R9nZ8mYBUDvXYS-VwgBhRkct4kMZbVw.jpg

And, of course, last night's ep wound up being a Selman-showrun effort so it wound up better than it had any right to be.
I've been really off on my prognostication game this season.

OP
OP
UberTag

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
I hope to get the opening posts updated and current over the weekend. But for now here's what's on tap for Sunday...

DADDICUS FINCH - Sunday, December 2nd
Episode Production Code = YABF01 (#648) / Writer & Showrunner = Al Jean / Director = Steven Dean Moore

BART IS JEALOUS OF LISA AND HOMER'S RELATIONSHIP

Lisa and Homer's bond gets stronger when they start spending real quality time together, and Bart feels neglected. So Marge tries to help Homer balance his attention between the kids.

Pre-Airing Verdict

Finally, we have an episode that I can be enthusiastic about that should (based on historic track records) deliver and be well worth seeking out this Sunday.

Al Jean's track record as a showrunner might be spotty but he remains one of the most accomplished and skilled writers on staff. While not making the Top 50 post-classic era list at the start of this thread, both of Al's solo writing efforts during the HD era (I Won't Be Home for Christmas and Mr. Lisa's Opus) have been exemplary and this will be his first Lisa-Homer centric episode since Season 12's HOMЯ which DID make the cut.

The often-fractured relationship between Homer and Lisa has proven to be the cornerstone of many stalwart episodes of the Classic era - kicking off in Season 2 with Homer vs. Lisa and the 8th Commandment and Lisa's Substitute - yet it has remained rather neglected in recent years at least as far as a central episode theme is concerned. This one also promises to broach new territory as it will highlight Bart's anxiety over the strength of this bond and his feelings of neglect over being the spurned son who is merely there to be derided and/or strangled.

FXX Marathon Theme - Daddy-Daughter Day (weekly themed 4-hour mini-marathons run each and every Sunday afternoon on FXX before new episodes premiere)

4:00pm Lisa the Greek (S3E14 / 8F12 / 1992)
4:30pm Lisa the Iconoclast (S7E16 / 3F13 / 1996)
5:00pm Bart on the Road (S7E20 / 3F17 / 1996)
5:30pm Lost Our Lisa (S9E24 / 5F17 / 1998)
6:00pm Make Room for Lisa (S10E16 / AABF12 / 1999)
6:30pm HOMЯ (S12E9 / BABF22 / 2001)
7:00pm A Star Is Torn (S16E18 / GABF13 / 2005)
7:30pm Brick Like Me (S25E20 / RABF21 / 2014)

Worth Watching: Just About Everything
Highly Recommended: Lisa the Greek, Bart on the Road, Brick Like Me

Last edited:

Excuse me

Oct 30, 2017
Werking Mom was Carolyn Omine episode, so I had my expeactions hight but had to settle with okish episode. Omine really can write great stuff from time to time and I keep expecting great episdoes from her.

edit. Also, I want to thank UberTag. Keep up the thread. My contribution is zero but I appriciate the effort you see for this thread. Have been following these threads since GAF.

OP
OP
UberTag

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
Only too happy to oblige, Zabo. If anything, I wish I had more time on hand to do a more thorough job than I do already.

As we have a better than decent chance of this weekend's episode being worthwhile, I've drawn up a more extensive preview for this weekend's episode over on NoHomers that expands on this episode's likely numerous (and already hinted at) references to the 1962 Oscar-nominated adaptation of Harper Lee's To Kill a Mockingbird starring Gregory Peck.

As ResetEra is likely to be down for maintenance when the episode airs, feel free to scope out the official R&R thread over at NoHomers for impressions. There will be a Reddit thread linked on that site once it goes live as well.

OP
OP
UberTag

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
Last night's episode turned out pretty darn excellent. Well worth seeking out on Hulu, SimpsonsWorld and the like this week for anyone who missed out on it.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, loved the episode. Especially the short visual comedy which seems very rare nowadays and the fact they actually used To Kill A Mockingbird instead of remaking it.

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
The episode wasn't bad but there is just some issue with the audio that I can't really put my finger on or have a name for. Its not even the missing transition music. It always bothers me when it happens. Like when no one is talking there is an ambient sound where silence would be that sounds off.

Still a pretty entertaining episode at least.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
There's planned to be a FXX mini marathon on 12/16 with handpicked episodes by Jean.

9 a.m. "Life on the Fast Lane" (Season 1, Episode 9)
9:30 a.m. "Homer vs. Lisa and the 8th Commandment" (Season 2, Episode 13)
10 a.m. "Radio Bart" (Season 3, Episode 13)
10:30 a.m. "Marge vs. the Monorail" (Season 4, Episode 12)
11 a.m. "Cape Feare" (Season 5, Episode 2)
11:30 a.m. "Lisa's Wedding" (Season 6, Episode 19)
12 p.m. "Treehouse of Horror VI" (Season 7, Episode 6)
12:30 p.m. "Homer's Phobia" (Season 8, Episode 15)
1 p.m. "Trash of the Titans" (Season 9, Episode 22)
1:30 p.m. "Viva Ned Flanders" (Season 10, Episode 10)
2 p.m. "Behind the Laughter" (Season 11, Episode 22)
2:30 p.m. "HOMR" (Season 12, Episode 9)
3 p.m. "She of Little Faith" (Season 13, Episode 6)
3:30 p.m. "Three Gays of the Condo" (Season 14, Episode 17)
4 p.m. "The Way We Weren't" (Season 15, Episode 20)
4:30 p.m. "Future-Drama" (Season 16, Episode 15)
5 p.m. "The Seemingly Never-Ending Story" (Season 17, Episode 13)
5:30 p.m. "The Haw-Hawed Couple" (Season 18, Episode 8)
6 p.m. "Eternal Moonshine of the Simpson Mind" (Season 19, Episode 9)
6:30 p.m. "Gone Maggie Gone" (Season 20, Episode 13)
7 p.m. "Once Upon a Time in Springfield" (Season 21, Episode 10)
7:30 p.m. "Angry Dad: The Movie" (Season 22, Episode 14)
8 p.m. "Holidays of Future Passed" (Season 23, Episode 9)
8:30 p.m. "Treehouse of Horror XXIII" (Season 24, Episode 2)
9 p.m. "Brick Like Me" (Season 25, Episode 20)
9:30 p.m. "Treehouse of Horror XXV" (Season 26, Episode 4)
10 p.m. "Halloween of Horror" (Season 27, Episode 4)
10:30 p.m. "The Town" (Season 28, Episode 3)
11 p.m. "Gone Boy" (Season 29, Episode 9)
11:30 p.m. "Bart's Not Dead" (Season 30, Episode 1)

And on the same night, FOX will reair Roasting.

OP
OP
UberTag

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
Seems like a mistake to air Simpsons Roasting on an Open Fire and Holidays of Future Passed at the same time. Those episodes need to be bookends to one another.

That's an especially solid marathon lineup, incidentally.

Going to wait on posting the preview for the new ep tomorrow night until Imgur works out its shit.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
Jean's picks do have bias at times. I'm shocked he didn't pick all the shows he wrote for Mirkin-O+W-Scully
I would have replace some with

Evening (S1)
Skinner's Badass Song (S4)
Homer the Smithers (S7)
'Tis the Fifteenth Season (S15)
All's Fair in Oven War (S16)
MoneyBart (S22)

OP
OP
UberTag

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
Going to have to roll with no media for this week's episode preview. No preview clips were released by Fox and Imgur is having a literal cow this weekend.

'TIS THE 30TH SEASON - Sunday, December 9th
Episode Production Code = YABF02 (#649) / Writers = Jeff Westbrook {Story}, Joel H. Cohen & John Frink {Teleplay} / Showrunner = Al Jean

HOMER AND THE KIDS SURPRISE MARGE WITH A CHRISTMAS VACATION

After a failed Black Friday shopping spree, Marge is determined to fix Christmas. However, Homer and the kids surprise Marge with a vacation to a Florida resort.

Pre-Airing Verdict

The final episode of 2018 is upon us... and it's one I was feeling a lot better about prior to the promo pics seeming to lack Rob Oliver's patented magic touch, the absence of any warm Florida vibes (and the presence of more stock hotel room decor) - would it have been so bad to reward Marge with a memorable vacation in the sunshine state that didn't go to pot after her toiling away on her family for the rest of the year - and the ever-looming presence of two of the show's worst active writers in Westbrook and Cohen to dampen one's festive enthusiasm. Like, if this was a Frink / Oliver joint like last year's excellent Gone Boy, we'd be sitting pretty here with glowing optimism... but we didn't get that now, did we?

The absence of any sort of advance preview clips and substantive hype for the episode itself is a further warning sign. The show's social media accounts are all in full back-patting self-congratulatory 30th anniversary mode (they can't count because the 30th anniversary of the show's premiere is next year) with montages of Homer d'ohing the Simpsons theme or across a multi-season montage that I'm sure will just be trotted out to pad this episode for time.

So yeah, instead of a special holiday episode like Holidays of Future Passed or I Won't Be Home for Christmas, I'm expecting something more along the lines of Simprovised or The D'oh-cial Network. And that's not a good vibe at all. I'm at least hoping this doesn't wind up as bad as The Nightmare After Krustmas (which at least had Oliver's art to appreciate). Hopefully I'll wind up pleasantly surprised.

I'm not even sure there's a themed FXX marathon today. Their episode lineup seems to be split in two halves between Abe episodes and theme park-centric episodes but the Grampa episodes don't appear to have a defined theme. There's certainly nothing Christmasy about what's on offer.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
Reminder: tonight is Simpsons Roasting on a Open Fire on FOX.

Question is stretched out or original ratio?

Cokomon

One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017
I figured this would be a good thread to share a project my brother recently finished. He redid the Simpsons intro in his art style, with a happy hardcore remix of the main theme. Enjoy.

Don't worry, there aren't too many elements from the HD era intro.

OP
OP
UberTag

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
There's a new episode airing tonight. I'm skipping both the ep preview and the FXX marathon plug (it's all HD era Abe-centric episodes so nothing to write home about - they've been milking Grampa HARD in recent seasons) as I don't have especially strong opinions about it.

Michael Price is historically underwhelming as far as the show's writers are concerned. Lots of needless guest stars appearing in this ep as well so I'm inclined to say this will be an easy pass. Next week's likely will be an easy pass as well, unfortunately.

Wish 2019 was starting off stronger but perhaps one of these will surprise.

MAD ABOUT THE TOY - Sunday, January 6th
Episode Production Code = YABF03 (#650) / Writer = Michael Price

THE SIMPSONS JOURNEY BACK TO GRAMPA'S WAR DAYS

TS6njUj.png

New York Mayor Bill DeBlasio, Lawrence O'Donnell and Bryan Bott Make Guest-Voice Appearances

When Marge and Homer leave Grampa to babysit the kids, some little green army men trigger a PTSD episode, sending the family on a journey to Grampa's past to when he was a post-war toy model.

Last edited:
OP
OP
UberTag

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
I'm not especially enthused about this week's new episode... BUT I am excited about the pre-episode marathon running on FXX immediately beforehand so I figured a full write-up was warranted. Will give those of you looking for alternative programming to playoff football something to seek out.

THE GIRL ON THE BUS - Sunday, January 13th
Episode Production Code = YABF04 (#651) / Writer = Joel H. Cohen / Director = Chris Clements / Showrunner = Al Jean

LISA HAS A NEW BEST FRIEND

VvoTr8p.png

hNSy2NA.png
diwQ6RC.png

Patty LuPone and Terry Gross Make Guest-Voice Appearances

When Lisa spots a new best friend from the window of the bus, she gets a taste of what life could be like with a different, more cultured family, and proceeds to try and live a double life.

Pre-Airing Verdict

First off, let me be clear. I do NOT expect this to be a good episode. Joel H. Cohen handled this script and he has largely regressed as a writer in recent years including being attached to Season 30's two worst-received episodes in Treehouse of Horror XXIX and 'Tis the 30th Season. Matching his Season 22 effort, Lisa Simpson, This Isn't Your Life (which also makes the FXX marathon list) is probably the high bar for this episode to aspire to reach.

Furthermore, the most underwhelming director on the show's staff, Bob Anderson, is up next in the rotation so the animation and storyboarding isn't likely to save the day and act as a highlight as it did last week.

I tore a strip into this episode's base premise when the promo pics came out over on NoHomers, so I'll just share what I wrote then...
Given that this is Lisa-centric and from Cohen, I've got generally bad vibes about its likely quality. Which is a shame as it's going to have a sizable NFL lead-in.

The premise seems pretty well telegraphed, too. Lisa hates her family for being peasants who watch TV all the time and eat TV dinners in the living room, sees strange new girl with bi-racial parents from the bus, hooks up with new friend and uses her to see what an actual cultured family is like, they're stereotyped as all hell, forms no actual connection with new friend, eventually sees that new family is pretentious and that there's little actual substance beyond the surface-level outward impression, Lisa appreciates her family again, another 22 minutes has been filled.

So yeah... not excited about the new ep. And it's going to come off even worse when contrasted with the STELLAR pre-episode marathon of episodes slated to air on FXX today starting at 3pm.

FXX Marathon Theme - Lisa's Aspirations (weekly themed 4-hour mini-marathons run each and every Sunday afternoon on FXX before new episodes premiere)

3:00pm Lisa's Substitute (S2E19 / 7F19 / 1991)
3:30pm Lisa's Pony (S3E8 / 8F06 / 1991)
4:00pm Lisa's Rival (S6E2 / 1F17 / 1994)
4:30pm Summer of 4 Ft. 2 (S7E25 / 3F22 / 1996)
5:00pm Trilogy of Error (S12E18 / CABF14 / 2001)
5:30pm She Used to Be My Girl (S16E4 / FABF22 / 2004)
6:00pm Lisa the Drama Queen (S20E9 / KABF22 / 2009)
6:30pm Lisa Simpson, This Isn't Your Life (S22E5 / MABF20 / 2010)

Perennial Classics: Lisa's Substitute, Summer of 4 Ft. 2
Highly Recommended: Lisa's Pony, Lisa's Rival, Trilogy of Error

In many ways, this marathon collects a lot of the Lisa-centric greatness that failed to make the cut prior to Daddicus Finch. Over the years, Lisa has yearned for better things for herself... friends, a pony, social acceptance and to not be perpetually disappointed by a father that behaves like a baboon and a mother that settled for being a homemaker. This week's new ep is likely to lump all of these things together in some kind of a messy hodgepodge but each of these aspirations has been explored in greater depth before to superlative effect.

Two of my all-time Top 3 episodes are in this marathon - Lisa's Substitute and Summer of 4 Ft. 2 - both of which made the all-time consensus Top 10 in a NoHomers community episode poll released earlier this week. The best-received post-Classic era episode, Trilogy of Error, is included here as well. The more modern inclusions pale drastically in comparison and should frame your expectations appropriately for what we're likely to wind up with tonight.

Last edited:

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
Just watched Daddicus Finch. Cute episode, felt very old Simpsons at times.

Loved seeing Llewellyn Sinclair come back, and JK Simmons was great as the school therapist. Using the live-action Mockingbird footage was an interesting choice.

Marge: "Homer, it's sweet that Lisa idolizes you, but I think it's gone too far."
Homer: "You're right."
Homer's brain: "Tell her she's right."
Homer: "I just did!"
Homer's brain: "I'm on a five-second delay."

felt like a classic gag.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
The GIF and Thanos couch gag were the highlights plus the Barts room subplot had a chuckle but I was too depressed after the Eagles loss to enjoy it.

Plus once again, Cohen's episode got the 3rd highest episode rating this season.

Oct 25, 2017
Finally, finalllly catching up on season 30. Season opener was meh, and Heart Break Hotel was hard to sit through. Have there been any animation highlights so far? Seasons 28/29 really impressed on that front.

OP
OP
UberTag

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
Not especially I would say. Rob Oliver's only directed two episodes and he had lacklustre material to work with in both instances. Selman's two showrun episodes have rather underwhelmed as well although Krusty the Clown at least had a standout musical number.

Season 30 has been widely typified as boasting neither exemplary standout episodes nor truly terrible ones, although it has fared pretty well on the ratings front. Daddicus Finch remains the highlight of a season that is now over halfway over... and still has yet to be officially renewed with a production order for a 31st.

cj_iwakura

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL
That was Werking Mom. I thought it was a perfectly harmless tribute for a time-filling subplot. I wouldn't go so far as to say it was charming or anything like Amelie... but it was decent enough by modern Simpsons standards.
I haven't watched it in years, where I work just happens to keep Fox on because of the NFL... then I see Amelie dialogue and I'm like what.

OP
OP
UberTag

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
Might as well take the opportunity while this thread is pinned to call attention to the poll that was recently held over at the No Homers Club discussion forum to establish a consensus opinion on just what are the greatest Simpsons episodes of all-time.

We had previously conducted this poll four years prior so it was interesting to gauge how results and impressions had shifted over the years amongst the most active Simpsons fan community on the Internet.

Here's what the eventual Top 100 episodes wound up being...

100. Selma's Choice
99. Bart the General
98. The Itchy & Scratchy & Poochie Show
97. Homer the Vigilante
96. Bart's Friend Falls in Love
95. Principal Charming
94. Brother From the Same Planet
93. A Fish Called Selma
92. Separate Vocations
91. Simpsons Roasting on an Open Fire
90. Bart the Daredevil

89. Bart vs. Thanksgiving
88. New Kid on the Block
87. Itchy & Scratchy: The Movie
86. Treehouse of Horror VI
85. Bart vs. Australia
84. Burns Verkaufen der Kraftwerk
83. The Joy of Sect
82. Marge on the Lam
81. Sideshow Bob Roberts

80. The Springfield Connection
79. Trilogy of Error
78. Burns' Heir
77. The Cartridge Family
76. Krusty Gets Busted
75. The Simpsons Spin-Off Showcase
74. Itchy & Scratchy & Marge
73. Lisa the Iconoclast
72. Treehouse of Horror
71. Bart the Murderer

70. Homer the Smithers
69. Black Widower
68. Lisa vs. Malibu Stacy
67. Lisa on Ice
66. Homer Goes to College
65. Scenes from the Class Struggle in Springfield
64. I Married Marge
63. Secrets of a Successful Marriage
62. Mountain of Madness
61. Boy-Scoutz 'n the Hood

60. Lisa's Pony
59. Moaning Lisa
58. The Last Temptation of Homer
57. The Springfield Files
56. Colonel Homer
55. Homie the Clown
54. Radio Bart
53. Homer vs. Lisa and the 8th Commandment
52. Homer's Barbershop Quartet
51. Home Sweet Homediddly-Dum-Doodily

50. Flaming Moe's
49. Lisa the Greek
48. Bart the Lover
47. Sweet Seymour Skinner's Baadasssss Song
46. Life on the Fast Lane
45. $pringfield (Or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love Legalized Gambling)
44. El Viaje Misterioso de Nuestro Jomer
43. Lemon of Troy
42. Bart's Comet
41. Raging Abe Simpson and his Grumbling Grandson in: "The Curse of the Flying Hellfish"

40. A Streetcar Named Marge
39. Homer vs. the Eighteenth Amendment
38. I Love Lisa
37. Lisa the Vegetarian
36. Bart of Darkness
35. Who Shot Mr. Burns? (Part Two)
34. Treehouse of Horror IV
33. One Fish, Two Fish, Blowfish, Blue Fish
32. Bart on the Road
31. Two Cars in Every Garage and Three Eyes on Every Fish

30. Homer's Triple Bypass
29. Itchy & Scratchy Land
28. Mr. Plow
27. Marge Be Not Proud
26. Lisa's Wedding
25. The Way We Was
24. The City of New York vs. Homer Simpson
23. Duffless
22. Bart Sells His Soul
21. And Maggie Makes Three

20. Deep Space Homer
19. Lisa's First Word
18. 22 Short Films About Springfield
17. Homer the Great
16. Bart Gets an F
15. You Only Move Twice
14. King-Size Homer
13. Homer Badman
12. Treehouse of Horror V
11. Homer the Heretic

10. Mother Simpson

zn1vbvoqe328puyp0oy0.jpg

9. Who Shot Mr. Burns? (Part One)

izuchwxoaji9a1owfehe.jpg

8. Summer of 4 ft. 2

p87634firebalj61sdld.jpg

7. Homer's Enemy

no0ygeobz2eykzc3jckm.jpg

6. Homer at the Bat

kn6cmuzqlc6njec4bm4u.jpg

5. Cape Feare

n81brqzdkju0uuwlzhhp.jpg

4. Rosebud

alk26qufd6tcjynzhile.jpg

3. Lisa's Subsitute

ulpwhgwdkozo9km5rbbf.jpg

2. Last Exit to Springfield

kdtga1rxgkpmkhlymtqi.jpg

1. Marge vs. the Monorail

iypunphgdsrej8s5xdvw.jpg

honest_ry

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Im not a massive fan of Summer of 4 ft. 2 (would be in my top 50 though), Lisa just gets on my tits. But everything else in that episode is gold. Especially the board game scene....

Aadiboy

Nov 4, 2017
Feels like these best episode lists are made by people who like season 2-5 the best, while I find 6-8 to be the best.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
So I never actually watched this series. Even as a kid when we had access to channels that showed US stuff like Wheel of Fortune or Jeopardy, I never cared for Simpsons as a kid because I didn't like the artstyle :P

I recently started going through it, watching eps. at my own pace, and it has been a great ride. LOTS of great humor and lovable moments.
I am currently in Season 4 and among my fav. episodes are 'Lisa's Substitute', 'Homer the Heretic', and 'Lisa's First Word'. Off the top of my head.
This scene slayed me

OP
OP
UberTag

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
So I never actually watched this series. Even as a kid when we had access to channels that showed US stuff like Wheel of Fortune or Jeopardy, I never cared for Simpsons as a kid because I didn't like the artstyle :P

I recently started going through it, watching eps. at my own pace, and it has been a great ride. LOTS of great humor and lovable moments.
I am currently in Season 4 and among my fav. episodes are 'Lisa's Substitute', 'Homer the Heretic', and 'Lisa's First Word'.
Being able to experience all of the Classic era Simpsons moments for the first time in 2019 would be an absolute treat so I'm sort of jealous of you in a way. Both Lisa's Substitute and Lisa's First Word remain in my Top 10 to this day.

Now that said, there's going to be a point somewhere around Season 9 when the show stops delivering on the consistent basis that it has up until that point and you're going to want to mull over cutting bait. When you get to that point, I strongly encourage you to instead scope out the post-Classic era highlight episodes I've compiled together in Post 3 of this thread so you can check out some of the noteworthy bright spots from the later years as opposed to continuing with the show uninterrupted. Because if you stick with it until the bottom falls out in Season 11 you're going to want to quit and you'll miss out on some genuine good moments that happen afterwards.

That decision may not come for a while yet so, until then, enjoy the ride. Season 6 is my personal fave.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
It really speaks to this show's strengths (especially in its writing, but also its animation and direction) that someone can still watch the older seasons for the first time today and love them. There's specific pop culture jokes here and there but overall I'd say like 90% of the material is timeless and of the universe.

Hell even a lot of the pop culture stuff has persevered because the stuff they lampoon is so big, it's impossible not to know what it is. Like everyone knows who The Beatles are, or Michael Jackson, or George and Barbara Bush, and five of those people are dead.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
It really speaks to this show's strengths (especially in its writing, but also its animation and direction) that someone can still watch the older seasons for the first time today and love them. There's specific pop culture jokes here and there but overall I'd say like 90% of the material is timeless and of the universe.

Hell even a lot of the pop culture stuff has persevered because the stuff they lampoon is so big, it's impossible not to know what it is. Like everyone knows who The Beatles are, or Michael Jackson, or George and Barbara Bush, and five of those people are dead.

I'd claim otherwise. A lot of the reference material was never pop culture relevant, and really only relevant for a couple of people, without belittling the joke.

5QQQ.gif

People learn who Eudora Welty is because of the Simpsons.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Being able to experience all of the Classic era Simpsons moments for the first time in 2019 would be an absolute treat so I'm sort of jealous of you in a way. Both Lisa's Substitute and Lisa's First Word remain in my Top 10 to this day.

Now that said, there's going to be a point somewhere around Season 9 when the show stops delivering on the consistent basis that it has up until that point and you're going to want to mull over cutting bait. When you get to that point, I strongly encourage you to instead scope out the post-Classic era highlight episodes I've compiled together in Post 3 of this thread so you can check out some of the noteworthy bright spots from the later years as opposed to continuing with the show uninterrupted. Because if you stick with it until the bottom falls out in Season 11 you're going to want to quit and you'll miss out on some genuine good moments that happen afterwards.

That decision may not come for a while yet so, until then, enjoy the ride. Season 6 is my personal fave.
I actually plan on stopping at Season 10. I am aware of the first 9-10 seasons being the peak of the series for years.

If I have an issue with the show is that, despite it being designed so that each episode is taken stand alone due to the nature of TV shows at the time, it can be jarring to see an episode where Grandpa Simpson comes off as being normal then seeing various episodes where he's a stupid old man (yelling at clouds).
Speaking of which, Season 2 or 3 had an episode where Selma marries Sideshow Bob, but I can't remember if she ever wanted to have children or not.

OP
OP
UberTag

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
Speaking of which, Season 2 or 3 had an episode where Selma marries Sideshow Bob, but I can't remember if she ever wanted to have children or not.
Selma's desire to have children of her own comes up in a couple episodes you'll catch down the road... most notably Season 4's Selma's Choice (which you will see) and Season 16's Goo Goo Gai Pan (which you likely will NOT see).

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
I already saw that episode actually. She should've let Bart drink the liquid that ride was on :V