• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

benj

Oct 27, 2017
thanks to everyone who replied to my post

I kinda want to buy Tomb Kings even though I haven't come close to completing a campaign yet. but that'd obviously be too crazy. so instead i'm gonna try VC and let my hordes overtake the earth

benj

Oct 27, 2017
I'm confused—do I need TTW1 installed to download the von Carstein DLC? I only have 2 + ME installed, and I'd love to keep it that way if possible. It's a big game.

e: nvm, got'em. what a weird system

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
I'm confused—do I need TTW1 installed to download the von Carstein DLC? I only have 2 + ME installed, and I'd love to keep it that way if possible. It's a big game.

e: nvm, got'em. what a weird system

Free DLC in Steam is just super finicky for whatever reason. You'll never need TWW1 installed unless you want to play that campaign.

benj

Oct 27, 2017
how close do my guys need to be to each other to reinforce? I want my Vlad and Isabella to use their remarkable smooching powers

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Total War WARHAMMER II |OT| yoooo lizardmen finally got an update!!!
how close do my guys need to be to each other to reinforce? I want my Vlad and Isabella to use their remarkable smooching powers
iirc, that ring around a selcted/targetted army is the reinforcement range, which doubles as their zone of influence. there will be a line from each army participating. the aggressor and defender(s) each have their own reinforcement range.

zone of influence prevents enemy units from moving through an enemy army

Kaffeemann

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
I'm not happy with the free LL because both of his starts are relatively close to Kroq-gar. The enemies you will fight will be similar in both campaigns.
Some people speculated that Nakai could start in Albion because he's a wanderer and appears where he is needed most. Now that would have been a completely different campaign experience.
But now we're getting more of the same.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Bit of a bank shot, but:
Total Warhammer 2 |OT| What a strange game. The only winning move is RIPPERDACTYLS.

(Tic-tac-toe -> Wargames -> that bit at the end).

Kaffeemann

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
The new starting position for Tiktaq'to is out on the steam page.
Compare the maps:
Old:
ss_b231d7e98b94364f8f0051a86ba2dafaded8dfd6.jpg

New:
ss_c7877673541d28364f0c1c22b95719fc3a5b9c56.jpg

There's a new Massiv Orcal province near Parravon and the region borders in Talabecland, Ostermark and Jungles of Green Mist have shifted, which probably mean new settlements.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
skavenblight's area got expanded to the coast, it seems.

and for talabecland/ostermark, wonder if they're planning on splitting up the empire's legendary lords using some of that new space.

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
Albion is named on the new map while it's not on the old one.

Now available as a province ?

ShadowSwordmaster

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not happy with the free LL because both of his starts are relatively close to Kroq-gar. The enemies you will fight will be similar in both campaigns.
Some people speculated that Nakai could start in Albion because he's a wanderer and appears where he is needed most. Now that would have been a completely different campaign experience.
But now we're getting more of the same.
This sounds awfully like the Green Knight...

benj

Oct 27, 2017
Total War WARHAMMER II |OT| yoooo lizardmen finally got an update!!!

iirc, that ring around a selcted/targetted army is the reinforcement range, which doubles as their zone of influence. there will be a line from each army participating. the aggressor and defender(s) each have their own reinforcement range.

zone of influence prevents enemy units from moving through an enemy army
see that's what i figured, but the in-game tutorial said there'd be an arrow pointing on the campaign map when i hovered anyone that could reinforce another army. and i saw that arrow once, when hovering one lord, but never again

and then i attacked Drakenhof when Mannfred looked to be juuuust outside the range of Drakenhof's ring, and he still reinforced. so what the heck

also i was sorta getting into the endless-undead-hordes fantasy but man, it hurts to lose so many guys even when i know they're not worth much. i'm also still used to MTW2 and have no idea about the best ways to use flying units or spells. i got Drakenhof comfortably but lost all my vargheists doing so

i might just not be cut out for the horde lifestyle. maybe dip back to one of the few-but-elite factions and carve through an army of skaven with three swordsmen or whatever

the Bloodlines thing seems really cool though. i love, and am totally awed by, how many cool flavorful systems this game has

Deleted member 1041

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
see that's what i figured, but the in-game tutorial said there'd be an arrow pointing on the campaign map when i hovered anyone that could reinforce another army. and i saw that arrow once, when hovering one lord, but never again

and then i attacked Drakenhof when Mannfred looked to be juuuust outside the range of Drakenhof's ring, and he still reinforced. so what the heck

also i was sorta getting into the endless-undead-hordes fantasy but man, it hurts to lose so many guys even when i know they're not worth much. i'm also still used to MTW2 and have no idea about the best ways to use flying units or spells. i got Drakenhof comfortably but lost all my vargheists doing so

i might just not be cut out for the horde lifestyle. maybe dip back to one of the few-but-elite factions and carve through an army of skaven with three swordsmen or whatever

the Bloodlines thing seems really cool though. i love, and am totally awed by, how many cool flavorful systems this game has

If you have played Medieval Total War 2, Empire/Bretonnia might be up your speed for a familiar yet different faction. They both also employ magic and Bretonnia has winged Pegasi, so you can slowly wean into the more fantastical portions of Warhammer without being overwhelmed by monsters and bats and crumbling units like I assume you are now with the Vampire Counts.

Granted, Empire is still vanilla and hasnt been updated, and Bretonnia is receiving an update next week!

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
Vargheists are also somehow like the squishiest unit in the game that isn't total chaff. You really need to keep them cycle charging with little time in melee or they'll get carved apart.

Also if you haven't figured it out yet, Invocation of Nehek and your zombie summon can carry the game almost by themselves magic wise. They're arguably the two best spells in the game.

OP
OP
karnage10

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
The new starting position for Tiktaq'to is out on the steam page.
Compare the maps:
Old:
ss_b231d7e98b94364f8f0051a86ba2dafaded8dfd6.jpg

New:
ss_c7877673541d28364f0c1c22b95719fc3a5b9c56.jpg

There's a new Massiv Orcal province near Parravon and the region borders in Talabecland, Ostermark and Jungles of Green Mist have shifted, which probably mean new settlements.
CA keeps delivering. These map changes are great!
More dense Empire provinces are something I've wanted for awhile.
me too. I also hope that "inside" the empire CA adds other races. Do the wasteland, stirland, middeland and averland need to be these big provinces that take 2-4 turns to transverse? with only 1 city?

desired outcome: stronger empire

result: more vampiric corruption spreading faster
LOL
Albion is named on the new map while it's not on the old one.

Now available as a province ?
It was added last patch so you can already play with it.

First you should know that The reinforcement range usually is equal to their area of influence.
To make sure my armies are in reinforcement range i always do this:
  • move the "reinforcement army as close as possible to the enemy red area of influence
  • Attack the enemy main army/city with your main army.

Vargheists are also somehow like the squishiest unit in the game that isn't total chaff. You really need to keep them cycle charging with little time in melee or they'll get carved apart.

Also if you haven't figured it out yet, Invocation of Nehek and your zombie summon can carry the game almost by themselves magic wise. They're arguably the two best spells in the game.
Just want to add for benj that you can double click a spell to use the overcast version of that spell. In the case of invocation of nehek it becomes an area healing spell!

benj

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for the tips!

One last question: are there any graphics settings or anything that'd reduce turn resolution time? I want to run Mortal Empires for a few reasons, but even with an SSD + a considerably stronger computer than the game takes, the ~3 turns I had time to play last night all took, like, a full minute to resolve. felt like a bit of a drag, especially since I couldn't seem to defocus the application without pausing it

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for the tips!

One last question: are there any graphics settings or anything that'd reduce turn resolution time? I want to run Mortal Empires for a few reasons, but even with an SSD + a considerably stronger computer than the game takes, the ~3 turns I had time to play last night all took, like, a full minute to resolve. felt like a bit of a drag, especially since I couldn't seem to defocus the application without pausing it
gfx options affect fps, not turn times unfortunately. that's a cpu thing as ai resolve their turns.

in mortal empires it will get better as enemy ai factions are defeated or absorbed. but it is always on the long side.

Deleted member 1041

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the tips!

Graphics settings won't help unfortunately. There are some workshop mods, but the most popular one I tried would randomly crash me at the end of the turn.

benj

Oct 27, 2017
gfx options affect fps, not turn times unfortunately. that's a cpu thing as ai resolve their turns.

in mortal empires it will get better as enemy ai factions are defeated or absorbed. but it is always on the long side.
yeah, I figured that was the case, was just hoping there might be some weird loophole

woof! makes me want to stick to Vortex for the time being

OP
OP
karnage10

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Thanks for the tips!

there is something that "decreases" end turn time if you aren't using it. In the upper left corner there is a camera icon where you can define how the in-game camera works when the AI is doing their turns. If you make the camera not follow the AI factions as well as make their lords and heros move the fastest speed it will make the turn times a bit faster.
It makes a similar effect to pressing the >> symbol when you click end turn but its better.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
i'm curious: does anyone use a camera other than the uhh... medium one? everything else feels wrong to me

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
It was added last patch so you can already play with it.

Ah, did not know that. Sorry. I haven't played since the Pirates released because i was waiting for Crynsos to update his mod and it took so much time i lost my hype until now.

I'll still wait but with a bit of luck, he'll update quicker this time.

Patapuf

Oct 26, 2017
Thanks for the tips!

As karnage pointed out, you can tweak the camerasetting of how much the game follows on turn end. There's a general "speed up" you see at every turn end but you can also tweak it in depth on the upper left to make it go even faster.

Sadly there's no overall setting for this and it's a bit of busywork, but it cuts down turn-end times quite a bit.

Of course, you'll then need a few seconds to see how the enemy moved since you skipped all the animations. But thats a fair trade off imo.

OP
OP
karnage10

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
i'm curious: does anyone use a camera other than the uhh... medium one? everything else feels wrong to me
My camera settings:
  • My faction: camera off, armies fast, hero fastest
  • Neutral factions: Camera off, armies fastest, heros fastest
  • Allied factions: same as above
  • Enemy factions: camera armies only, armies fastest, heros fastest
My reasoning, i usually don't care about neutral factions and allied factions so the less info i get from them the better. The enemy faction i only care about the armies so i usually have camera following their armies; fast speed is good enough for me as i only need to know the general area of their armies. For my factions fastest for heros is great as i generaly just click on an action; so i don't need to see the camera following them. My armies at normal speed are a bit too slow for my taking, fastest is too quick if you make a mistake/missclick; fast is good enough for me.

Ah, did not know that. Sorry. I haven't played since the Pirates released because i was waiting for Crynsos to update his mod and it took so much time i lost my hype until now.

I'll still wait but with a bit of luck, he'll update quicker this time.
I see! in case you also don't know alongside that patch, sudenburg and bowmen of oreon were also added to the ME campaign.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
they have to be spreading bretonnia out somehow. four factions in their normal stomping grounds won't work in ME
My camera settings:
  • My faction: camera off, armies fast, hero fastest
  • Neutral factions: Camera off, armies fastest, heros fastest
  • Allied factions: same as above
  • Enemy factions: camera armies only, armies fastest, heros fastest
My reasoning, i usually don't care about neutral factions and allied factions so the less info i get from them the better. The enemy faction i only care about the armies so i usually have camera following their armies; fast speed is good enough for me as i only need to know the general area of their armies. For my factions fastest for heros is great as i generaly just click on an action; so i don't need to see the camera following them. My armies at normal speed are a bit too slow for my taking, fastest is too quick if you make a mistake/missclick; fast is good enough for me.
i use the same system, except that owned/enemy heroes are fast rather than fastest.

good taste!

Kaffeemann

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
The Under-Empire mechanic looks amazing and opens up so many new ways to play the Skaven.
The Workshop seems really strong and might make the late game pretty easy for Clan Skryre. The other Skaven factions could feel underwhelming in comparison.

HaNotsri

Usage of alt-account.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Hey—I'm sure this gets asked all the time, but does anyone have any advice for someone who wants to get into this? I played a lot of MTWII a couple years ago, and did a few hours on a Dark Elf campaign in this a year ago before getting overwhelmed by upkeep.

I know there are a lot of "tips for people starting Total War: Warhammer" articles/posts out there, but they seem to overwhelmingly fall into one of two categories: Step-by-step directions for a given campaign ("Turn one, build a harpy, go three kliks north, siege the barbarian camp, start researching Elf Hats, turn two, pivot left,") or extremely rudimentary stuff ("Use your units to attack enemies!"). I'm looking for advice in the sweet spot. I have operated a computer before, but I also don't want to follow directions for how to play.

I think I mostly need some fast-and-loose advice for economy management; this game throws a lotta resources up fast.

Thinking I'll do Dark Elves or Vampire Counts, if it matters. Do have Mortal Empires, don't have any other DLC.
Hello! This advice probably comes a bit late and might fall into the "to rudimentary" category. As a veteran player I like to go completely blind about the best way to play a new race and try to live with the consequences but! As a new player I found it really helpful to take the beginning 10-12 turns as a test drive and then start over once I got the mechanics of the race. As a vet it's fun with disaster campaigns but as a new player you can really sub-optimize and get stuck in long, potentially boring scenarios.

The best tutorials online for specific mechanics are partyelites on youtube, but it's been a long time since he updated and it lacks info on the campaign level.

//From a guy who accidentally lined up all his spearmen with their asses towards the cav for numerous battles after going for the debug camera...

OP
OP
karnage10

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Good preview of the new Skaven stuff from today's livestream. Both the Under-Empire and Ikit's mad factory seem really cool and powerful. Skaven are so much cooler now. Also probably great potential for modders.
The Under-Empire mechanic looks amazing and opens up so many new ways to play the Skaven.
The Workshop seems really strong and might make the late game pretty easy for Clan Skryre. The other Skaven factions could feel underwhelming in comparison.

While i didn't see the full video I really enjoy the new under-empire mechanics for the skaven. At first glance they seem to do 3 things:
  • new source of food that doesn't require you to expand your army
  • be able to sabotage your enemies
  • New source of income without directly expanding your territory
IMO these 3 changes will make the skaven feel more "vermintide like" since those changes will tackle some of my issues with skaven. The lack of food as well as the necessity to have "elite" armies since each army is 1 food. These changes that allow you to get food and money without increasing your territory will make the playthrough much more "organic" since you won't need to expand "always" toward food sources. By also being able to sabotage the enemy the skaven will also hopefully make the AI have a hard time dealing with us. Hopefully there are some tech tree reworks so that skavenslaves are free and clan rats are cheaper to make skaven play truly like the vermintide!

My only concern is that at first glance clan skyre is an upgraded skaven faction. They have [almost] everything other factions have plus a couple of unique mechanics. I hope at the very least pestilence gets some unique mechanics because, imo, it feels weird to have 1 LL have so much better features them the rest of the pack.

CenturionNami

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
The Lordpack looks so meaty, I can't believe some people are still whining on the forums and the subreddit, it puts all the other Lord packs to shame in both quality and content amount.

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
It looks like Tehenhauin will be able to set off a Skaven vs. Lizardmen hellwar as he goes up the sacrifice tree. All Skaven and all Lizardmen are instantly at war, and he gets big diplomacy bonuses with other Lizardmen. Can't wait.

Zoidn

Dec 23, 2018
Watching a Vortex campaign stream and they changed that map around a bit as well. There are 3 new settlements in the South of Lustria and Provinces were changed a bit accordingly. There is a new settlement next to Lokhir, a new one next to where Tehenhauin starts and a new island with settlement next to the Citadel of Dusk.

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
ME got some notable changes as well. Two empire provinces went from 2 to 4 settlements, Skavenblight went from 10 to 12 slots and some other stuff.

OP
OP
karnage10

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
ME got some notable changes as well. Two empire provinces went from 2 to 4 settlements, Skavenblight went from 10 to 12 slots and some other stuff.
IMO this change is really needed, a "LOT" of empire provinces were too empty! I still think that stirland, wasteland and middenland still need more settlements. To me it makes 0 sense to have a province has big as wasteland with nothing in it. It is boring game design.
With talebecland and ostermark becoming full provinces both the vampire counts and empire campaigns will be quite a bit different. I'm really enjoying all these map changes!

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
i hope y'all have plenty of impressions on the dlc. i hurt my shoulder and can't really use that arm with a keyboard rn so my waaagh adventures will have to wait a couple weeks.

unleash the vermintide for me pls

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
i wonder how that'd work. the current factions have a pretty big spread of lords now, both for twwh1 and twwh2.

OP
OP
karnage10

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
i hope y'all have plenty of impressions on the dlc. i hurt my shoulder and can't really use that arm with a keyboard rn so my waaagh adventures will have to wait a couple weeks.

unleash the vermintide for me pls

i m starting with tetenheuin! salamanders and skinks FTW!
So the only remaining content for WH2 will be Lord packs, no more Campaign packs. (source)
Not sure what to think about this.

Part of me is sad about this. I still think that TEB and araby would be good factions to add for wh2. Another part of me is really happy there are more lord packs coming, IMO a lot of races could do with 1-2 LL and new units! specially wh1 races that have a bit of a boring roster, for example empire and dwarfs only have 2 Lords each.

i wonder how that'd work. the current factions have a pretty big spread of lords now, both for twwh1 and twwh2.
IMO many Wh1 races could use new LL and new units. Not sure how CA will aproach the DLC for DLC problem.