• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
1fzjQ64.gif

Skyball Paint

Nov 12, 2017
One thing I don't do enough is actually zoom in to appreciate the models. A line of Black Guards flanked by Cold One Knights is absolutely majestic

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
That's why I like playing Lizardmen. You can largely get them set up and then forget about 90% of your army which gives you plenty of time to zoom in on dinosaurs crushing French peasants.

OP
OP
karnage10

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
One thing I don't do enough is actually zoom in to appreciate the models. A line of Black Guards flanked by Cold One Knights is absolutely majestic
I don't actually have the skills to play the game and see the battle. To see the gorgeous models and the beautiful animations i use the replays. Whenever there is a big battle or a thematic one i always enjoy seeing the replay.

Feb 12, 2019
I got into this game recently and I think it's made a Total War fan out of me. It turned out the thing to make me interested in hammer and anvil charges was by making everything ridiculous fantasy bullshit, despite the part where I have a history degree and a nominal interest in historical warfare. I'm not going to claim I'm great at coordinating or holding a line, but the series is more comprehensible than some seem to give it credit for.

I've finished a Heart of the Vortex campaign as the Skaven and the Vampire Coast, and I started working on a Chaos Mortal Empires campaign before getting distracted by Fire Emblem. One of my favorite things about this game that seems less pronounced in some of the historical TW games is how totally different some of the factions are from one another. The only thing the Skaven and VC share with each other is the concept of a disposable front line, and that's been a lot of fun to discover. Not sure if I'll continue with Chaos, if only because they don't have a lot going on other than roving around and burning things to the ground and I have to wait a good 90 seconds between turns because of all the CPU factions.

Any suggestions for a faction that's fun to do Mortal Empires with?

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
ArbitraryWater High Elves or Lizardmen would be a lot of fun after playing evil factions. Managing a string of alliances is a very different experience vs. nonstop war. Just be ready for the Chaos invasion.

Patapuf

Oct 26, 2017
I got into this game recently and I think it's made a Total War fan out of me. It turned out the thing to make me interested in hammer and anvil charges was by making everything ridiculous fantasy bullshit, despite the part where I have a history degree and a nominal interest in historical warfare. I'm not going to claim I'm great at coordinating or holding a line, but the series is more comprehensible than some seem to give it credit for.

I've finished a Heart of the Vortex campaign as the Skaven and the Vampire Coast, and I started working on a Chaos Mortal Empires campaign before getting distracted by Fire Emblem. One of my favorite things about this game that seems less pronounced in some of the historical TW games is how totally different some of the factions are from one another. The only thing the Skaven and VC share with each other is the concept of a disposable front line, and that's been a lot of fun to discover. Not sure if I'll continue with Chaos, if only because they don't have a lot going on other than roving around and burning things to the ground and I have to wait a good 90 seconds between turns because of all the CPU factions.

Since you've done The vortex campaign i'd suggest the old world.

Bretonnia sits in the middle of the map, so you can go whereever. Empire/vampire both have lots of touching points but Vampires have the more fleshed out campain mechanics while i think empire have the more fun army.

OP
OP
karnage10

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal

IMO ME is better then vortex due to the variety of factions you fight in it. IMO vortex is dominated by the new world factions, it does howveer have such great artwork in the storyline that it generally pushes me to the end.

IMO there are only 3 factions that in need of a rework in ME:
  • Warriors of Chaos (they don't feel like the apocaliptic force they should be)
  • Beastmen (slow horde growth + some units not having VD + very few unit choices - make their armies very similar)
  • Wood elves (the amber mechanics doesn't translate very well - they are a lot of fun in co-op.)
While in battle these 3 factions are fun, their campaign has a lot of "end turn passing" while you wait for an opportunity to strike

IMO there are another 2 factions that have very boring campaign due to the lack of mechanics:
  • Empire - literally has 0 unique mechanics and only 1 starting position
  • Greenskins - are very agressive faction that needs battles to earn money however their main enemy is heavily armoured and their first AP unit requires T3 buildings. The best units are also locked by tech.
These 2 factions are also fun in battle. Empire has one of the most interesting starting positions by being right in the middle of the map. GS non main factions can also be interesting as their focus on weird part of their rosters (like an all goblin army)

All the other factions are well done. I'll recomend the ones that feel very different from other strategy titles
  • Tomb Kings - no upkeep armies, instead your special units have a limited number that can be increased with buildings.
  • Norsca - you can favor 1 of the 4 gods. can only control port cities. You can hunt monsters. lack economy buildings BUT can get a lot of money fighting and raiding.
  • Bretonnia - less focus on expansion instead it focuses on quests/honor. Also a very focused cavalry army... like most infantry is almost useless, we are talking infantry that almost always loses to their skaven/vampire counts counterpart.
  • Vampire counts - 0 ranged units, roster focused on the anvil and hammer tactic. As an anvil you have unroatable infantry as an hammer you have some of the best monsters and cavalry of the game.
  • Dwarfs - very good economy but very very slow growth. have 0 flankers, instead their roster focus ehavily in a high armoured line supported by some of the best ranged troops the game can offer
Personally these 4 factions make the game play very differently then any other faction in total war.

Decado

Dec 7, 2017
Got into TW:W around 3 or 4 weeks ago and have been playing it a lot. I have a co-op campaign going in W1 and have been messing around with mods in the ME campaign.

I really want the DLCs to go on sale since I missed the during the summer sale.

Currently using the Closer to Tabletop overhaul...even though I have never played the TT game. Difference can be noticeable even though I have little experience in either. I played a lot of dwarfs and Empire, which has helped me learn the power of good formations... particularly the former. Took a while to figure out wtf to do when you lack cavalry.

I own Shogun 2. Is that still worth playing? Too old? What about Attila and Brittania?

OP
OP
karnage10

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Got into TW:W around 3 or 4 weeks ago and have been playing it a lot. I have a co-op campaign going in W1 and have been messing around with mods in the ME campaign.

I really want the DLCs to go on sale since I missed the during the summer sale.

Currently using the Closer to Tabletop overhaul...even though I have never played the TT game. Difference can be noticeable even though I have little experience in either. I played a lot of dwarfs and Empire, which has helped me learn the power of good formations... particularly the former. Took a while to figure out wtf to do when you lack cavalry.

I own Shogun 2. Is that still worth playing? Too old? What about Attila and Brittania?
Do take my opinion with a grain of salt since i really enjoy total war gameplay. bellow is my opinion on those titles
  • Shogun 2 - The best atmosphere in a total war title. IMO it has aged very well due to that. Gameplaywise it has one weakness, faction unit variety is very low. Gameplaywise it the usual historical title (ranged units are very powerful, spear units wipe cavalry easily, sword units wipe spear units easily; cavalry beats everyone as long as it charges from the rear).
  • Shogun 2 fall of the samurai - This is a standalone expansion to shogun 2. I added it here because it is the best fire arms total war. It is extremely fun to choose between modernization (better guns) and traditionalism (better swords).
  • Attila - I'll start by saying it is the hardest total war to date. This total war is all about survival instead of the usual "paint the map". Attila's hordes are a formidable foe that will bring even the most experience players a worthy challenge. All the mechanics work together to force everyone to migrate to the mediterranean, putting a lot of pressure on the powerful but over-expanded roman empires. It is the first total war to actually try and have different mechanics for different cultures. Most factions have very conservative changes but some changes are very interesting from "peaceful" victory conditions to the horde mode. Most the DLC for this game is really good, from charlemagne to the new cultures. they are different and fun. I'll end and say that this is one of my top 3 total war tittles because not only it is a lot fun trying to survive the horseman of the apocalypse but it also has enough variety to make 5-7 playthroughs interesting.
  • Thrones of Britannia - This is and feels like an experimental total war title. It has a lot of new cool mechanics however many aren't that fun to use. If you like the them (vikings in the British isles) the game has a lot of details that are cool. From factions changing name as they grow and unique mechanics for each culture.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
I wasn't able to run Shogun 2 last time I tried to play it. Something to do with the launcher.

This was a year-ish ago so perhaps there's a fix now.

Feb 12, 2019
karnage10 Hella Patapuf
Thanks for the recommendations. I'm definitely leaning more towards an Old World faction, although I've heard some scuttlebutt about some of those getting reworked in the near-ish future. 15 different factions (to not even get into subfactions that play fairly differently, like Crooked Moon) is a whole lot to deal with and you've helped me narrow down what I want to spend another 30ish hours of my life doing

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
karnage10 Hella Patapuf
Thanks for the recommendations. I'm definitely leaning more towards an Old World faction, although I've heard some scuttlebutt about some of those getting reworked in the near-ish future. 15 different factions (to not even get into subfactions that play fairly differently, like Crooked Moon) is a whole lot to deal with and you've helped me narrow down what I want to spend another 30ish hours of my life doing
Note that Greenskins and Empire are probably getting an overhaul at some point. The DLC factions are more iffy.

Dwarves, Vampire Counts, Norsca, Bretonnia, and Chaos have all received some tweaks in TWWH2, but the others were lifted more whole cloth into Mortal Empires. Everyone still benefits from the new mechanics and stuff, but some feel more at home than others.

OP
OP
karnage10

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
karnage10 Hella Patapuf
in the OT I always add when a race is updated.
officially we know there at least still 2 reworks left. Norsca, dwarfs, vampire counts and bretonnia were updated.

The following is speculation based on the way the game as been updated. Assuming the datamine still is part of the plan we know that game 3 is chaos focused. This means that warrior of chaos and beastmen will probably receive reforms in game 3 to interact more with the new chaos faction.
This leaves wood elves, empire and greenskins. IMO empire and GS are base game races this will probably be updated to bring them to game 2 standard.
So imo only those 3 factions will be reworked in the close future

affeinvasion

Oct 26, 2017
I've been playing through a high elf campaign recently and it's making me wonder when the third one is coming out. I imagine it will be a while since three kingdoms just came out. Who's left to add from a faction perspective?

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
I've been playing through a high elf campaign recently and it's making me wonder when the third one is coming out. I imagine it will be a while since three kingdoms just came out. Who's left to add from a faction perspective?
There's a leak from back around when TWWH1 launched that has basically predicted everything so far, with some minor changes and additions due to how the series blew up. In it, the third game was said to be focused on the four Chaos Gods, presumably expanding the Eastern edge of the Mortal Empires map.

In the leak there are only two factions left, aside from the Chaos stuff: Chaos Dwarves and Ogre Kingdoms. Beyond that it's uncharted territory. Seems a little slim for a game + a year or two of DLC so I'd reckon they're going to expand it somehow.

OP
OP
karnage10

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
officially we know that daemons of chaos, ogre kingdoms and chaos dwarves are confirmed. Whether they will be base game races or dlc for game 3 we don't know.

Personally there are 2 factions that are confirmed in all but name. These are kislev and southern realms. The reason I say this is because in both game 1 and game 2 despite using empire rooster the factions have a lot of unique landmarks and an unique faction trait. they are also a target of a lot of techs/references. Vampire coast and norsca had less TT information then those 2 factions and were made full factions.

There is also 1 char that has a lot of mention in the victory texts - Nagash. Whether he will be a new "race " or if he is just an hybrid of all undead factions remains to be seen.

Apart from the above game 3 is basically a mystery at this point. It is too soon to know when wh3 is coming out. Personally I think it will be 2021.

I just hope they expand a bit more eastward then just unlocking what is already on the map.

Dinskugga

Nov 6, 2017
So i really want to jump in. But it feels pretty expansive to buy 1-2 and all the DLC.

So i wondering the same as Loan Wolf. Are there any complete bundle for first game?

And second. Can i play this game on my laptop? i5-8265U 8gb ram and a 1050 GTX 2gb ?

Kaffeemann

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
There is the Dark Gods Edition which contains the Norsca and Chaos Warriors DLC. But it's only available physically. There's no complete package other than that.

I would buy game 1 and 2 when they are on sale, which happens quite regularly. Both together should be less than €60. That's already a ton of content. Once you've played through that I'd only pick the DLC that seem to interest you. There's no benefit to owning all of them. All of the content will appear on the campaign map regardless.

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
Yeah aside from the blood pack there's no reason to own the DLCs until you know that you really like playing a certain faction and want to get the accompanying lord pack or know that you really like a certain playstyle of army. It looks intimidating on the Steam store page but I actually think it's one of the better DLC models out there.

That said there's a decent chance of a sale next month when the next DLC is announced and launched.

OP
OP
karnage10

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Does Humble Bundle or any other website offer any DLC packs to provide all paid DLC for Warhammer 1?
So i really want to jump in. But it feels pretty expansive to buy 1-2 and all the DLC.

So i wondering the same as Loan Wolf. Are there any complete bundle for first game?

And second. Can i play this game on my laptop? i5-8265U 8gb ram and a 1050 GTX 2gb ?
I am going to reiterate what other posters said that you don't need to buy all doc at once. The reason is simple, even if you don't have the dlc you will still play against the dlc faction.
If you have never played total war before I actually recommend buying just one of the main games.
Wh1 is cheaper and has more races but they are more "vanilla". Wh2 has less races but has many QoL changes that make returning to game 1 hard and has a campaign with a storyline.
If you own both games you get a campaign that sort of merges the campaign map of both games (I use sort of because there have been several updates that added more provinces so the map is an improved version of the merge)

my OT has all the races and what you need for them so you can read it if you want to know what each game has (the store pages don't have the free content

Loan Wolf

Nov 9, 2017
I am going to reiterate what other posters said that you don't need to buy all doc at once. The reason is simple, even if you don't have the dlc you will still play against the dlc faction.
If you have never played total war before I actually recommend buying just one of the main games.
Wh1 is cheaper and has more races but they are more "vanilla". Wh2 has less races but has many QoL changes that make returning to game 1 hard and has a campaign with a storyline.
If you own both games you get a campaign that sort of merges the campaign map of both games (I use sort of because there have been several updates that added more provinces so the map is an improved version of the merge)

my OT has all the races and what you need for them so you can read it if you want to know what each game has (the store pages don't have the free content

Oh that's good, I was expecting the paid DLC factions to be locked from being played against as well. I have WH1 and 2 without the paid DLC.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
I can't remember if they ever changed it, but last I checked the Beastmen and Chaos DLCs for Total Warhammer 1 are the only ones that lock content away from the AI when you don't own it. It doesn't remove the faction or alter its behaviour, but they have a paired down unit selection compared to normal.

OP
OP
karnage10

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
I can't remember if they ever changed it, but last I checked the Beastmen and Chaos DLCs for Total Warhammer 1 are the only ones that lock content away from the AI when you don't own it. It doesn't remove the faction or alter its behaviour, but they have a paired down unit selection compared to normal.
it was just woc and it's like 4-5 units.
But even having the dlc those units rarely appear.

Sneaky Gato

Oct 27, 2017
My expectations are that the pre order Dlc will be Nagash. This way the DOC will have their own version of an End Times Event. For WIII I expect the starting three to be Kislev as the "good" human faction, Ogre Kingdoms as the Neutral option, an then Deamons and Chaos Dwarves as the evil options. I'd love if they could bring up some of the stuff from AoS so that they could really flesh Deamons out into proper mono god focused options but im not sure if they can or will.

As for future expansions I do expect Cathay will be one of them. People forget but back in the day when the line between Warhammer the Wargame and Warhammer the RPG was pretty hazy the East was announced as going to be the big focus of the next round of expansions before the pivot towards a more simulationest tabletop wargame and less Role playing experiance occurred. And in recent years GW had been more interested in the region. Before being preempted by the End Times the Forge Worlds campaign books had started exploring the fringes of the area. There was going to be a Gotrek and Felix book set there. I imagine there is loads of concepts GW has in storage for Cathey.

Zoidn

Dec 23, 2018
Still not convinced the addition of Cathay is likely, especially the physical area that comes with it. I can't really see the Warhammer 3 map expanding beyond the Mountains of Mourn. Maybe we could see an implementation similar to China in Crusader Kings 2, where actual China is off-screen, but you have the "Western Protectorate" that serves as a presence on the map.

OP
OP
karnage10

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
My expectations are that the pre order Dlc will be Nagash. This way the DOC will have their own version of an End Times Event. For WIII I expect the starting three to be Kislev as the "good" human faction, Ogre Kingdoms as the Neutral option, an then Deamons and Chaos Dwarves as the evil options. I'd love if they could bring up some of the stuff from AoS so that they could really flesh Deamons out into proper mono god focused options but im not sure if they can or will.

As for future expansions I do expect Cathay will be one of them. People forget but back in the day when the line between Warhammer the Wargame and Warhammer the RPG was pretty hazy the East was announced as going to be the big focus of the next round of expansions before the pivot towards a more simulationest tabletop wargame and less Role playing experiance occurred. And in recent years GW had been more interested in the region. Before being preempted by the End Times the Forge Worlds campaign books had started exploring the fringes of the area. There was going to be a Gotrek and Felix book set there. I imagine there is loads of concepts GW has in storage for Cathey.
Pre-order DLC is probably a faction that you can use in game 2 that would at the same time diversify game 3. IMO kislev or Araby are the highest contenders. From my limited knowledge CA can use those 2 factions in game 3 to increase diversity.
IMO both Nagash and TEB deserve the 4LL treatment and would probably not be pre-order DLC. Keeping Nagash for game 3 will also give an undead faction to game 3.

Still not convinced the addition of Cathay is likely, especially the physical area that comes with it. I can't really see the Warhammer 3 map expanding beyond the Mountains of Mourn. Maybe we could see an implementation similar to China in Crusader Kings 2, where actual China is off-screen, but you have the "Western Protectorate" that serves as a presence on the map.
Personally I dont mind the end turn times so IMO CA should just push for all the way to the end of the map and make wh3 a "globe" (as in you can invade cathay from nagaroth)
That is probably impossible techincallywise (i imagine most people would find it near unplayable). So maybe we can have something similar to what you say; deform the map enough so that the west part of china is in as well as a part of ind.
It would give CA 2 cultures to explore for DLc content as well as making the eastern part of the map as diverse as the rest of the game.

Zoidn

Dec 23, 2018
Uh oh, looks like the first teaser for the next thing is in and it's looking like Empire. Would have loved Greenkins but it's okay. Waaagh!

CA_James also said: "Hey Everyone! I can see you're itching for some Warhammer news.

While I can't say much, I can say that we'll be sharing some info a little later this week so there's not long to wait now. Hang in there!"

Last edited:

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
Interesting. They had said September, guess they pushed it up a week?

I'm more pumped for more Warham goodness than anything else releasing soon so I can't wait.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Ooooh they're adding Kruber! I'd recognize that hat anywhere.

(I know they're not but I'd love some crossover dlc somewhere down the line)

Zoidn

Dec 23, 2018
Looks like the most popular theory is that we are going to get the Huntsmarshal Markus Wulfhart with a starting position in Lustria. I'm a big fan of Ranged lords so I'd be up for that.

Zoidn

Dec 23, 2018
Spot on, here it is!

https://www.totalwar.com/blog/total-war-warhammer-ii-the-hunter-the-beast-faq/

Here's also the FAQ with A TON of juice information.

"The free content that will be released alongside The Hunter & The Beast DLC includes the Lizardmen Legendary Lord Gor-Rok, a campaign map region rework for Mortal Empires, Empire Fort Battles, a new starting position for Balthasar Gelt and an Old World update for the Empire. Keep an eye on our social channels in the coming weeks for more info."

Last edited:

Toño

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Spain
I'm very happy with the new additions, but OF COURSE the Greenskins are the last ones of the original 4 main faction :(

OP
OP
karnage10

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Are those 2 new reptilians I see?
Do my eyes receive me?

The great plan truly is coming to fruition!

Oh there is also an empire lord

Odinsmana

Mar 13, 2019
I'm very happy with the new additions, but OF COURSE the Greenskins are the last ones of the original 4 main faction :(

Unless I am misrepresenting I think we know that they are planning more DLC for Warhammer 2, so there is hope for another cross game lord pack with Greenskins and another faction :)

Zoidn

Dec 23, 2018
Now that Cross-game lordpacks are confirmed to be real I'm extremely hoping that the Grom the Paunch vs. Eltharion the Grim DLC dream comes true.