• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MyQuarters

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Oh man, prepare for the best radio play that never ends! If you need black library book recommendations just ask. I have listened to 90% of it!

I'd love some recommendations

This goes for book and audiobook - I've never really dived in, but I'd like to know whether it's easy to cherry pick the specific stuff you're into rather than go through the whole saga

I'd be up for:
Blood Angels, Imperial Fists, Tyranids, GSC, Orks, Dark Eldar, Necrons and any fringe Imperium stuff that covers silent sisters/sisters of battle/inquiition/civilians/arbites/other weird bits of the Imperium

Serule

Oct 25, 2017
I'd love some recommendations

This goes for book and audiobook - I've never really dived in, but I'd like to know whether it's easy to cherry pick the specific stuff you're into rather than go through the whole saga

I'd be up for:
Blood Angels, Imperial Fists, Tyranids, GSC, Orks, Dark Eldar, Necrons and any fringe Imperium stuff that covers silent sisters/sisters of battle/inquiition/civilians/arbites/other weird bits of the Imperium

Watchers of the Throne: The Emperor's Legion is a great read and features Adeptus Custodes and Sisters of Silence.

Devastation of Baal is a good read about the Blood Angels (and successors) fighting against annihilation by the Tyranids.

Talon of Horus is fantastic; it is about the formation of the Black Legion from the ashes of the traitor legion' defeat.

Eisenhorn: Xenos is also fantastic, it is about an imperial inquisitor investigating a chaos cult. Starts the Eisenhorn series.

And of course almost every Horus Heresy novel is available; Horus Rising is the first and is quite good.

As for picking and choosing; all the books I mentioned except for Horus Rising are fine as standalone books with no prior reading required. Talon of Horus and Eisenhorn have sequels if they interest you.

Serule

Oct 25, 2017
Beauty, thanks!
And there shouldn't be a big problem reading stuff out of order, right?

The Horus Heresy stuff has a definite order you should follow. At least for the first 5 books, then you can maybe skip to what you want.

All the other books I mentioned should be fine to jump into; they are either standalone (Devastation of Baal, Watchers of the Throne) or the first book in their series (Talon of Horus, Eisenhorn: Xenos).

Ohnonono

Oct 29, 2017
Holy Terra
Also some of the jumping around depends on how much lore you already know. If you know 40k pretty well you can jump into most stuff.

If you want 40k - Watchers of the Throne is amazing, it sets up the current 40k perfectly and is a great look at super crazy Terra

Horus Heresy- Read the first 5 then there are lots of threads you can jump to depending on what you are interested in. For sure some stuff to skip, but most are good.

The suggestions above are all also very good. Devestation of Baal you can also read Dante before. Same author and it is a natural progression from one book to the other.

Edit: Oh for sure if you want modern chaos Talon of Horus and Black Legion are amazing. Also the recent Death Guard book Legion of Silence is very good.

Serule

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I almost mentioned Dante but I haven't personally read it; I read Devastation of Baal and didn't feel like I missed anything. The author (Guy Haley) also wrote Dark Imperium and I loved that.

I've been thinking of picking up Legion of Silence since every 40k book I've read by Chris Wraight has been great. I also hear good things about The Carrion Throne but haven't personally read it yet.

Some people rave about Helsreach, but I was just lukewarm on it. I really like Dembski-Bowden but I think I don't like the Black Templars.

General author recommendations:
Aaron Dembski-Bowden, Dan Abnett, and Chris Wraight are all great. Guy Haley is also good. I avoid books by Gav Thorpe (which sucks because he's just about their only author who writes about the Eldar).

Narrators: Johnathan Keeble and Toby Longworth are great; their narration adds to a reading. Johnathan Banks is good. I find Gareth Armstrong kind of grating, he adds a theatrical flair to the dialogue that is too much for me.

Nazo

Oct 25, 2017
Dante is a very good book. It gave me a new appreciation for the character and for the blood angels. It's also a direct prequel to devastion of Baal. Though you could read it stand alone you'll miss out on some powerful emotional moments if you haven't read Dante.

I also personally recommend, both Dark Imperium and Black Legion. Though Black legion is great it's mired by the fact you kind of have to read The Talon of Horus which is absolutely abysmal and easily the worst Black Library book I've ever personally read. It does make make up for it with Black Legion being the best Chaos focused book I've read.

Ohnonono

Oct 29, 2017
Holy Terra
Yeah I almost mentioned Dante but I haven't personally read it; I read Devastation of Baal and didn't feel like I missed anything. The author (Guy Haley) also wrote Dark Imperium and I loved that.

I've been thinking of picking up Legion of Silence since every 40k book I've read by Chris Wraight has been great. I also hear good things about The Carrion Throne but haven't personally read it yet.

Some people rave about Helsreach, but I was just lukewarm on it. I really like Dembski-Bowden but I think I don't like the Black Templars.

General author recommendations:
Aaron Dembski-Bowden, Dan Abnett, and Chris Wraight are all great. Guy Haley is also good. I avoid books by Gav Thorpe (which sucks because he's just about their only author who writes about the Eldar).

Narrators: Johnathan Keeble and Toby Longworth are great; their narration adds to a reading. Johnathan Banks is good. I find Gareth Armstrong kind of grating, he adds a theatrical flair to the dialogue that is too much for me.

Both Legion of Silence and The Carrion Throne are great. Watchers of the Throne has the benefit of some huge lore happening in there to take it over the top. Also his White Scars stuff from Horus Heresy is so damn good.

StaffyManasse

Oct 28, 2017
I'm reeeeeeally tempted by Adeptus titanicus right now.

Anyone got into it?

I'm thinking about getting the box with Warhound, Reaver and two Warhounds. 100€ is not that bad for what is supposedly a full army is it?

_____

Mikeside you probably saw the Helsreach video series, but I still recommend the book. It's great.

Eisenhorn trilogy is also a good read and I am going through the sequel trilogy Ravenor now. For what it feels, I'm liking the Ravenor more.

For Horus Heresy, my absolute favourites so far have been The First Heretic and Know No Fear.

Anyway, look for Abnett and Demski-Bowden for a good read.

Last edited:

MyQuarters

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Thanks for the recs, I'm gonna dig into Dante and then Devastation of Baal to start with, I think!

I tried Horus Rising last year and found it to be really not my style. I'm hoping I can either get into it in the future, or that further Horus Heresy books are a lot better?

StaffyManasse

Oct 28, 2017
Thanks for the recs, I'm gonna dig into Dante and then Devastation of Baal to start with, I think!

I tried Horus Rising last year and found it to be really not my style. I'm hoping I can either get into it in the future, or that further Horus Heresy books are a lot better?

And oh, for Blood Angels, you should read the prologue of Fear to Tread. I mean, you could read the whole book, but to be honest I didn't find it great. But the prologue had me in shivers and I'm not even a big Blood Angels guy.

Oct 26, 2017
oh, I should grab "The Outer Dark".

Space Sharks are my second favorite chapter after space wolves.

Would love to see a "team up" of SPace sharks and wolves hunting down some chaos marines.

I am listening to " Lukas the Trickster" atm.

Lukas, a man unlike any other space wolf, or marine frankly. Dude could give a harlequin a good laugh

OP
OP
Gareth

Gareth

Oct 25, 2017
Norn Iron

Another little boxed game coming:
https://www.warhammer-community.com...op-at-the-new-york-toy-fairgw-homepage-post-3
Combat Arena is a fast-paced miniatures combat game that pits you against your friends in lighting-quick bouts of tactical action. Set aboard an Imperial vessel, the game sees each player pick a hero and battle it out, mastering their distinct fighting styles and abilities to claim victory. Each of these champions is represented by a brand-new model from classic and fan-favourite units of yore such as the Crusader and Primaris Psyker – not to mention a new Rogue Trader!

In fact, the set is a prequel to Warhammer Quest: Blackstone Fortress, and that ancient structure has further perils in store for them – keep an eye out for them in an upcoming adventure pack…
NYToyFair-Feb15-CombatArenaBox13yfegc.jpg

NYToyFair-Feb15-CombatArenaInProgress4udes.jpg

NYToyFair-Feb15-CombatArenaMinis5evdfg.jpg

NYToyFair-Feb15-CombatArenaMinis4wjvbfrc.jpg

NYToyFair-Feb15-CombatArenaMinis3oejvf.jpg

NYToyFair-Feb15-CombatArenaMinis2uevr.jpg

NYToyFair-Feb15-CombatArenaMinis1ejv.jpg

Last edited:

Naarmight

Oct 27, 2017
Quite a lot of stuff seems to be conspiring to get me to play again. Its been 20 years, a couple of my friends have recently started playing, and I have been handed a bunch of my old stuff by my parents last time I visited them.

Whilst I will keep the majority of it (a large imperial guard and Ultramarine army) there is a bunch of stuff I feel like I should sell, including some 80s plastic squats still on the sprue (well 4 bodies, 3 heads, and a bunch of arms) and the big hat chaos dwarves, is ebay the best place?

Finally different is 8th edition to 2nd & 3rd? and is there a good resource for Imperial army lists?

Ohnonono

Oct 29, 2017
Holy Terra
Quite a lot of stuff seems to be conspiring to get me to play again. Its been 20 years, a couple of my friends have recently started playing, and I have been handed a bunch of my old stuff by my parents last time I visited them.

Whilst I will keep the majority of it (a large imperial guard and Ultramarine army) there is a bunch of stuff I feel like I should sell, including some 80s plastic squats still on the sprue (well 4 bodies, 3 heads, and a bunch of arms) and the big hat chaos dwarves, is ebay the best place?

Finally different is 8th edition to 2nd & 3rd? and is there a good resource for Imperial army lists?

The game is VERY different now from those early editions. Way less fiddly, faster and IMO way more fun. As for that stuff your selling, ebay would work, but go find out what its worth cause those are some kits people might value pretty high. Squat parts and the big hat dwarves might make a lil money or a good trade from someone. As for lists, competitive wise I have no idea, but in 8th army construction is way more open than it used to be.

Bombless

Oct 25, 2017
Went to London for a concert this weekend and had to drop by Forbidden Planet. Saw a pile of Visions of Heresy just sitting there, I had to leave with a copy.

OP
OP
Gareth

Gareth

Oct 25, 2017
Norn Iron
VoxCast episode 6:
Citadel miniatures designer Maxime Pastourel talks about the Warhammer 40,000 projects he has been part of, including leading the development of the Death Guard range and designing the Daemon Primarch Mortarion, as well as his own converted armies.
http://voxcastpodcast.com/voxcast-episode-6-maxime-pastourel

The first 'Battle Sisters Bulletin' is up too and it looks at the Sisters of Battle iconography:
https://www.warhammer-community.com...epta-sororitas-iconographygw-homepage-post-1/

Last edited:

StaffyManasse

Oct 28, 2017
Oh, sweet!

Better post something, then.

Here is a Raven Guard Whirlwind I've been working on. I made a mess of the yellow parts (I'm thinking battle damage and weathering will take care of that), but I'm pretty happy about the freehand.

Obviously still work in progress and I'm going to do a lot of cleanup on the edges.

KoC1tUt.jpg

Maktokious

Nov 23, 2017
About time I posted some WiP too then. The squad itself is mostly done, but the Rhino is (obviously) just in the starting phase.

KHODNTm.jpg

EYEL1NER

Oct 26, 2017
I ordered a copy of The Anarch and read it over the past day and a half. Yet again Dan shows how easy it is for him to write in different styles and genres, because the horror in this was done really well. It kind of makes me a little excited for the Warhammer Horror line that will be coming out down the road. This was a great book though. Now I'm just sad that I'm all caught up on the Sabbat books (well, except Titanicus and Brothers of the Snake, I guess). I might start them over again after I read my next HH book, A Thousand Sons. Gonna be a little while until he starts whatever the next chapter of the GG story since The Victory has now come to a close.

A quick question: I've read Fallen Angels and Descent of Angels, since I'm making my way through the HH series. Is there a HH novel that picks up where Fallen leaves off, with Luther's plans having been put in motion and the Dark Angels left on Caliban turned traitor? Or is what happens next just stuff that has always been in the lore in various places?

Serule

Oct 25, 2017
I personally am only up to book 21 (The Primarchs), but I imagine book 38 (Angels of Caliban) continues the Dark Angels plot.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
YO WHAT WARHAMMER ADVENTURES IS OUT?! Gonna grab the audio books soon. I may get the books for my cousins' birthday this August :V
EDIT: Bleh why are they only available on Audible? :(

Last edited:

Kharnete

Has Hecht’s Number
Oct 25, 2017
Spotlighted, uooh. Also, that's some stupidly good stuff up there.

It's been a while since I touched a 40k figure, as I was occupied with my Shadepsire gang. but there was a "Paint a Primaris" challeng on my club using the Conquest collection as excuse. I decided to go with Legion of the Damned with some twists (oxide instead of flames), but I think I went a bit overboard with it XD

76vT22O.jpg

Ohnonono

Oct 29, 2017
Holy Terra
I ordered a copy of The Anarch and read it over the past day and a half. Yet again Dan shows how easy it is for him to write in different styles and genres, because the horror in this was done really well. It kind of makes me a little excited for the Warhammer Horror line that will be coming out down the road. This was a great book though. Now I'm just sad that I'm all caught up on the Sabbat books (well, except Titanicus and Brothers of the Snake, I guess). I might start them over again after I read my next HH book, A Thousand Sons. Gonna be a little while until he starts whatever the next chapter of the GG story since The Victory has now come to a close.

A quick question: I've read Fallen Angels and Descent of Angels, since I'm making my way through the HH series. Is there a HH novel that picks up where Fallen leaves off, with Luther's plans having been put in motion and the Dark Angels left on Caliban turned traitor? Or is what happens next just stuff that has always been in the lore in various places?

Dark Angels honestly get spread out around some other books too. That storyline at the core I think continues in Angels of Caliban. Dark Angels are all over the Imperium Secundus stuff though. Also they are only in Pharos for a short time but WHEW it was a good scene.

Serule

Oct 25, 2017
Book recommendations! I posted a bunch above, but for someone completely new to the franchise I would recommend:

Eisenhorn: Xenos by Dan Abnett

This is a book about an Imperial Inquisitor (kind of like a space detective) tracking down a cult of chaos worshippers. It does not require any knowledge of the universe. It is a complete story on it's own, although it does have excellent sequels. Available on Audible as well with a very good narration.

For someone who is familiar with 40K but maybe hasn't been involved in a while, Guy Haley's Dark Imperium is a good read that covers some of the current story beats (when 8th edition launched, they advanced the timeline; some stuff happened!)

For people who are a little more invested, see my other recommendations near the top of this page (although Eisenhorn is great for you too).

The Horus Heresy series is great but probably not great for newcomers; there are a ton of them (50+ numbered titles), and may be hard to follow for someone not invested in lore. On top of that they cover a time period 10,000 years before the current 40K setting.

Last edited:

Ohnonono

Oct 29, 2017
Holy Terra
If your going to jump right into current 40k I think Watchers of the Throne followed by Dark Imperium is very good start. Doing a little general research before wouldn't hurt, but Watchers shows you how the setting SLIGHTLY changes a bit, and Dark Imperium is a perfect intro to "current" stuff.

Binabik15

Oct 28, 2017
I'm seriously thinking about what to order from the UK for a last hurrah before a possible No Deal Brexit and no cheap imports (unless the £ tanks and makes up for import duties and fees). Most of the Ork stuff I want is out of stock at Wayland, though 😪

Oct 26, 2017
Decided to finally start my Dark Angels successor Chapter. I went with a decidedly non Dark Angel color scheme but I like it quite a bit. I call them the Abyssal Wardens. The base is mostly Dark Reaper with greenshade on top. Highlighting with Fenrisian Grey and using leadbelcher/stormhost silver for the shoulder pads for the sergeants and pallid witch flesh for the grunt shoulders.

iXu3HoUm.jpg

avbSdN8m.jpg

NwJsPS9m.jpg

CbylQ6Wm.jpg

J0HozKzm.jpg

MyQuarters

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I'm seriously thinking about what to order from the UK for a last hurrah before a possible No Deal Brexit and no cheap imports (unless the £ tanks and makes up for import duties and fees). Most of the Ork stuff I want is out of stock at Wayland, though 😪
Darksphere and Element Games are both better than Wayland - not sure how they are about exporting.
Others to look at: Goblin Gaming, Triple Helix, Firestorm Games

EYEL1NER

Oct 26, 2017
I personally am only up to book 21 (The Primarchs), but I imagine book 38 (Angels of Caliban) continues the Dark Angels plot.
Dark Angels honestly get spread out around some other books too. That storyline at the core I think continues in Angels of Caliban. Dark Angels are all over the Imperium Secundus stuff though. Also they are only in Pharos for a short time but WHEW it was a good scene.
Cool, thanks. I struggled to get through Fallen Angels but the last third or so of the book when stuff started popping off finally for Zahariel and Nemiel I got drawn in. Took me over a month to read it because I just wasn't feeling the majority of the book at all. I'm just not a fan of the Dark Angels or the Lion. Zaharial and Nemiel's story is interesting though, and Luther is pretty well-written, so I guess I'll be able to see what happens next in about 26 more books.

Sloth Guevara

Oct 27, 2017
Hey peeps!

Long time since I played.
I wanna restart my deathwing army.
Do I still need raven or green wing units to make a viable army?

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
Bad lighting and kind of unfinished but I thought I'd finally get around to sharing my WIP Primaris Marine I ain't finished yet for my kill team, Brother Ash:
odKTwvoh.jpg

SSUXlo4h.jpg

6cDi.gif

Now ofcourse Primaris Marines can't use Chainswords but that's besides the point.

Tacitus

Oct 25, 2017
Regimental Standard keeps being hilarious https://regimental-standard.com/2019/02/20/ambull-the-other-other-white-meat/

Good news, Guardsmen!
We have news of an exciting culinary innovation. Following testing from the Ordo Xenos, we are happy to announce that the safety restrictions on consuming Ambull meat have been lifted!*

Ambull can be cooked and prepared in a number of ways.** From Ambull fritters, to Ambull stew, to boiled Ambull surprise,*** we're sure you'll grow to love its chewy yet crunchy texture and its distinct piquant flavour. Indeed, we can confirm it's just as delicious as corpse-starch!****

* Restrictions on feeding Ambull meat to your regimental canid are still in place, and any attempt to do so will be treated as an assault on a superior officer (ie. punished with summary execution).

regstd-feb20-cannedambull1sn.jpg