• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
Decided to finally start my Dark Angels successor Chapter. I went with a decidedly non Dark Angel color scheme but I like it quite a bit. I call them the Abyssal Wardens. The base is mostly Dark Reaper with greenshade on top. Highlighting with Fenrisian Grey and using leadbelcher/stormhost silver for the shoulder pads for the sergeants and pallid witch flesh for the grunt shoulders.

iXu3HoUm.jpg

avbSdN8m.jpg

NwJsPS9m.jpg

CbylQ6Wm.jpg

J0HozKzm.jpg

Nice. You planning on going pure Primaris? Or mixing in other style Marines?

Hey peeps!

Long time since I played.
I wanna restart my deathwing army.
Do I still need raven or green wing units to make a viable army?

Loyalist Terminators (including Deathwing) are kind of uncompetitive this edition as unlike Chaos Terminators that get Combi-bolters they're restricted to stormbolters and one heavy weapon as an option. This means they're just don't have the firepower to take on most armies as everything in general is more survivable this edition.

Add to that as well Deathwing aren't just facing Greenwing and Ravenwing now but Primariswing too. That's not to say they're unplayable at all, it'll just be an uphill battle due to a lack of firepower. But you can should focus on playing the objectives.

What you're gonna want to do is keep the terminators bare, as in all stormbolters and powerfists, and use them with apothecaries to hold objectives, while Deathwing Knights and buff units deep strike and do the more aggresive stuff. You should use vehicles and Venerable Dreadnaughts for your heavy weapons.

For around 1500pts you could fit in about 3 5-man squads of Terminators, 2 5 man squads of Knight Terminators, A Venerable Dread and a seperate Spearhead Battalion of 3 Marine Predators (paint them Deathwing colours but use normal codex rules for these to get the Killshot stratagem) and have points left over for apothecaries and stuff. ...I think.

Last edited:

Binabik15

Oct 28, 2017
Darksphere and Element Games are both better than Wayland - not sure how they are about exporting.
Others to look at: Goblin Gaming, Triple Helix, Firestorm Games

Every time I looked into other shops the end price was higher. I never had problems with Wayland outside of long ass waiting for stuff out of stock, that's why I only buy in stock stuff. Then it's around ~1 week to Germany, which is pretty nice. And even with waiting, to be honest, after I re-started GW stuff and abusing UK discounters I have SO many sprues and half-done projects, urgh, not getting the new stuff quickly actually helps.

And I need to start painting again, my "at least one mini a week" pledge lasted like three months in 2017. Lots of lovely stuff in here. I especially like the sorta OSL Deathwatch and the glowy green DG, I assume they're done this way to face off each other?

Speaking of painting, my Harder and Steenbeck Evolution airbrush is having some sort of fit, it always spits out a splatter of paint that is sticking to the needle tip whenever I open the air flow again. Never did this before, now always does it and it SUCKS. Makes painting impossible. I cleaned it a billion times but it's still happening. I'm guessing some seal might be the problem, I mean, why is there so much paint clinging to the tip in the first place. Any idea? It's three years old, but not very heavily used and the needles are pristine. Happens both on the 0.2 mm and the, ugh, I think it's a 0.4? Was included with the airbrush, from H&S.

PS: I still can't get over the new Ambull. Cain makes it sound delicious in Caves of Ice (and slaughters a whole nest) and GW reimagines it as a tough mid-boss with caterpillar-filled flesh 🤣

Ohnonono

Oct 29, 2017
Holy Terra
Every time I looked into other shops the end price was higher. I never had problems with Wayland outside of long ass waiting for stuff out of stock, that's why I only buy in stock stuff. Then it's around ~1 week to Germany, which is pretty nice. And even with waiting, to be honest, after I re-started GW stuff and abusing UK discounters I have SO many sprues and half-done projects, urgh, not getting the new stuff quickly actually helps.

And I need to start painting again, my "at least one mini a week" pledge lasted like three months in 2017. Lots of lovely stuff in here. I especially like the sorta OSL Deathwatch and the glowy green DG, I assume they're done this way to face off each other?

Speaking of painting, my Harder and Steenbeck Evolution airbrush is having some sort of fit, it always spits out a splatter of paint that is sticking to the needle tip whenever I open the air flow again. Never did this before, now always does it and it SUCKS. Makes painting impossible. I cleaned it a billion times but it's still happening. I'm guessing some seal might be the problem, I mean, why is there so much paint clinging to the tip in the first place. Any idea? It's three years old, but not very heavily used and the needles are pristine. Happens both on the 0.2 mm and the, ugh, I think it's a 0.4? Was included with the airbrush, from H&S.

PS: I still can't get over the new Ambull. Cain makes it sound delicious in Caves of Ice (and slaughters a whole nest) and GW reimagines it as a tough mid-boss with caterpillar-filled flesh 🤣

Thanks for the compliment about my stuff! I do try to paint my stuff with a sense of place and so they can kinda exist together. Mostly that prolly comes from me taking all the same shortcuts!

Also I wish I could give you airbrush advise but I stick to brushes to keep the hobby a liiiiiiiiiittle cheaper (and for me a little more therapeutic as it makes me slow down and helps me focus out of anxiety! Little men can help 36 year olds!)

Oct 26, 2017
Nice. You planning on going pure Primaris? Or mixing in other style

The Primaris will probably be limited to just troop choices. Right now I'm looking at 3-4 squads of Intercessors with 1-2 squads of scout Snipers.

The rest of the army will have mostly Ravenwing. Talonmaster warlord, bike squads for fast attack, the elites will also be Ravenwing. Heavy support I'm still not sure on but I'm eyeing up Whirlwinds for the moment. I also want to include the dark talon. Probably not the most competitive list but I like the aesthetic.

Oct 26, 2017
Lissen up new gitz! Dis is your reminda dat da best fing about 40k is da Orks! We'z big, we'z got da best dakka and our meks can knock out stuff like dis:

7a998298-dfdc-4d4c-91kjk4.jpeg

And dis:
d393d9aa-783d-467d-bw7j9g.jpeg

And dis:
cf90adeb-0a92-470e-ai8kv0.jpeg

So quit dem stoopid beaky 'oomies and get krumpin' wiv da Orks! We got da best toyz and we'z ded killy wiv 'em too!

Oct 26, 2017
Lissen up new gitz! Dis is your reminda dat da best fing about 40k is da Orks! We'z big, we'z got da best dakka and our meks can knock out stuff like dis:

7a998298-dfdc-4d4c-91kjk4.jpeg

And dis:
d393d9aa-783d-467d-bw7j9g.jpeg

And dis:
cf90adeb-0a92-470e-ai8kv0.jpeg

So quit dem stoopid beaky 'oomies and get krumpin' wiv da Orks! We got da best toyz and we'z ded killy wiv 'em too!

I've seen those first two on discord but have never seen that bike before. Top notch work!

Also, Scotty was an Ork confirmed.

Oct 26, 2017
Cheers guys. The bike was actually my first conversion after getting back into the hobby a couple of years back.

Ha, didn't know it had been appearing on discord too, it's crazy how many people saw and shared the Waaaghship Entaprize. I had people I know locally who have no interest in 40k who saw it on my Facebook, then days later saw it being shared on sites I've never even heard of. Makes me want to up the ante for my next project...

OP
OP
Gareth

Gareth

Oct 25, 2017
Norn Iron
Been away from the hobby for almost 2 years any news about sister of battle or whatever theyre called now?
A beta codex is available in Chapter Approved 2018 now, their new plastic range of minis is planned for later this year, and there'll be regular development updates on the Warhammer Community website until then :)

Some links:
https://www.warhammer-community.com...on-focus-sisters-of-battlegw-homepage-post-1/
https://www.warhammer-community.com...epta-sororitas-iconographygw-homepage-post-1/
https://whc-cdn.games-workshop.com/...review-Feb7-Sororitas50ttdfnvdnsghjbhdfhb.jpg
https://whc-cdn.games-workshop.com/...festLiveBlog-Post12-30-SororitasDetail4ge.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
Yay! Community Spotlight! Figured I'd post my newest Imperial Knight. My first attempt at painting something "dirty". My fiancé hates that I dirtied it up and thinks it looks like crap now. But my Valiant is my commander. He's seen some battle. I ended up magnetizing his mask also because what is the point of having a pretty face if you can't show it off? And I've had a lot of practice with tiny magnets, so I figured I could pull it off and keep the magnets on his face concealed.

20190221-173301.jpg[

20190221-173049.jpg

20190221-173136.jpg

Jack Scofield

Oct 27, 2017
Any set recommendations for an amateur painter like me? I'm a big fan of the Imperium's look, and I love the "classic" blue and gold Space Marine, but I don't know what set that is.

My buddy gave me a few figurines to start, but they're from the Dark Vengeance set and I don't feel comfortable trying these out, yet. There are a ton of small details and I'd like to start with something a little more simple.

Nazo

Oct 25, 2017
Any set recommendations for an amateur painter like me? I'm a big fan of the Imperium's look, and I love the "classic" blue and gold Space Marine, but I don't know what set that is.

My buddy gave me a few figurines to start, but they're from the Dark Vengeance set and I don't feel comfortable trying these out, yet. There are a ton of small details and I'd like to start with something a little more simple.

You can always start with some Easy-To-Build Marines here: https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Etb-Primaris-Intercessors-2017

If you're a big fan of the Ultramarines (the blue and gold dudes you mentioned) heres a video on how to paint one up from GW themselves.

BigDes

Knows Too Much
Oct 25, 2017
Anybody ever use Gundam markers to do linework on their models?

Been using the pure touch markers to highlight various things on my Scions and it looks alright

Avengers23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Who are the safe YouTube WH40K lore channels to watch?

40KTheories seems safe. TheExploringSeries just started covering 40K as well. Anyone else?

Avengers23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I ask because I watched a bunch of 40KTheories videos and suddenly got a fucking Sargon video recommended on my sidebar.

OP
OP
Gareth

Gareth

Oct 25, 2017
Norn Iron
Arch Warhammer is the one I recommend avoiding too, he's an arse.

I don't tend to watch a lot of lore videos as I prefer delving into the 40K wikis, but I've seen videos in the past from The Vaults of Terra and they seemed fine. Their channel looks like it's been inactive for a while now though. OneMIndSyndicate on the other hand looks like a very active 40K lore channel, but I can't vouch for their content as I haven't spent much time viewing their videos.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
Arch is pretty bad. Not just because he's alt-right but he desperately pushes his views onto 40K regardless of whatever the universe actually states.

I ask because I watched a bunch of 40KTheories videos and suddenly got a fucking Sargon video recommended on my sidebar.

These channels tend to just read out lore from straight the fan-wiki rather than describe any actual books they've read or events or characters in them. The theories tend to be taken wholesale from the odd complainer on DakkaDakkas general topics. You can save yourself the trouble there. (By theories I don't specifically mean 40ktheories, I just mean any theory related video from any channel in general)

Oct 26, 2017
I don't think I've ever watched Arch Warhammer, but I'm liking this discussion. I trust you all, so I went to his channel to block in my profile...but I can't find any way to block. What the heck.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
I don't think I've ever watched Arch Warhammer, but I'm liking this discussion. I trust you all, so I went to his channel to block in my profile...but I can't find any way to block. What the heck.

Well his deathkorps video has the iron cross on its thumbnail so that should tell you what sort of fan he is.

If you want a decent lore channel though, Oculas Imperia and Tempen Institute are decent.

Oct 26, 2017
I would also recommend Tactica Imperialis. His older videos are a bit rough but he provides some good insight into different subjects.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Arch Warhammer is not only a horrible alt-right piece of garbage, he's often incredibly wrong in his lore videos. Especially when he did Fantasy where he repeatedly insisted that anyone not the Empire was secretly Chaos. But even in 40k it took me a total of 5 seconds to pick up any codex and find out that he just doesn't know jack.

ShadowSwordmaster

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Arch Warhammer is not only a horrible alt-right piece of garbage, he's often incredibly wrong in his lore videos. Especially when he did Fantasy where he repeatedly insisted that anyone not the Empire was secretly Chaos. But even in 40k it took me a total of 5 seconds to pick up any codex and find out that he just doesn't know jack.
I know a lot of podcasters that have the same problem too. A lot of them just look at wikis and just go off of them.

Nazo

Oct 25, 2017
I would also recommend Tactica Imperialis. His older videos are a bit rough but he provides some good insight into different subjects.

I used to really like Tactica Imperialis but then I started listening to the Podcast he does with 40k Theories and the dude comes across as a real stick in the mud and just can't handle not being the center of attention at all times. Not to mention he seems to only really care about Age of Sigmar more than 40k (not that is a bad thing but when you listen a 40k podcast and they spend an a third of the time on AOS it gets a little old).

Ohnonono

Oct 29, 2017
Holy Terra
Oculus Imperium is by 1000 miles the best lore guy. He stays mostly in character and writes his scripts instead of just reading. He focuses down on chapters and their disposition and tactics. He is awesome and so much better than the rest of the guys who fell into it.

Oct 26, 2017
Oct 26, 2017
Anyone else go to any tournaments or big cons in US? I am contemplating Gencon, or Nova Open in DC. My local game shop is kind of weak when it comes to 40k, and I am at a crossroad of figuring out if I branch out myself, or if I sell my stuff off.

It'll be back. IIRC, last year's celebration model was sold for months afterwards.

I wanted to buy the tie in novel but I see it's not out on paperback for a few months yet.
Well, that is good.

Jellycrackers

Oct 25, 2017
Hey Warhammer fans! I found this thread in the community spotlight and then fell into a rabbit hole of reading 40k stuff on a wiki. I have read a little about all the species and the warp and stuff.

I'd like to read some of the novels now. I've read in a few places that people seem to recommend the Eisenhorn series to start with, which I downloaded the sample of and started on Kindle. But I wanted to ask here for a specific recommendation. I'm really interested in the big picture universe. I love a good character, but I don't know that I want to read a really small and intimate story. I would love if I could read something that follows a character on a big journey or various journeys across the universe. I want descriptions of the cool metal stuff like warp jumps, daemon encounters, battles with Tyranids and Necrons, Space Marines wrecking shop. You know what I mean? A perfect example of that was Halo: The Fall of Reach by Eric Nylund. Is there a good book or series like this for me to start with? I want to see the grim dark world!

Thanks in advance for any recommendations!

Omanisat

Sep 25, 2018
North Bay, Canada
Hey Warhammer fans! I found this thread in the community spotlight and then fell into a rabbit hole of reading 40k stuff on a wiki. I have read a little about all the species and the warp and stuff.

I'd like to read some of the novels now. I've read in a few places that people seem to recommend the Eisenhorn series to start with, which I downloaded the sample of and started on Kindle. But I wanted to ask here for a specific recommendation. I'm really interested in the big picture universe. I love a good character, but I don't know that I want to read a really small and intimate story. I would love if I could read something that follows a character on a big journey or various journeys across the universe. I want descriptions of the cool metal stuff like warp jumps, daemon encounters, battles with Tyranids and Necrons, Space Marines wrecking shop. You know what I mean? A perfect example of that was Halo: The Fall of Reach by Eric Nylund. Is there a good book or series like this for me to start with? I want to see the grim dark world!

Try the Gaunt's Ghosts series. Sort of Band of Brothers/Sharpe in space, follows a unit of imperial Guard across the course of a massive Imperial crusade.

Kharnete

Has Hecht’s Number
Oct 25, 2017
Yep, Gaunt's Ghosts should be your books.

I would also say the first batch of the Horus Heresy books. It later sprawls to reach a giantic scope, but the first few are mostly build around a Space Marine captain on the perfect seat for when shit starts to going down.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017

I always recommend the various short story collections as a great primer for anything 40k. You always get a little bit of everything. Things like the Hammer & Bolter collections will give you a handful of short stories from all corners of the 40k universe. After that, I highly recommend the Space Marine Battle series. This will be a stand alone book dedicated to a particular battle that took place between a particular Marine Chapter vs a particular enemy (or enemies!). They're easy reads and one offs. All these work together as a jumping off point into whatever you are drawn towards. For instance, if a book has Tyranids or Space Hulks in it, I'm reading it because I love that aspect of 40k.