• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Nov 1, 2017
Apparently taking a shower is STILL a problem in the Smash community this many years later.

https://compete.kotaku.com/smash-players-plead-with-each-other-to-please-for-the-1826150759

At Jason "RustyTrombone" Husisian's first Super Smash Bros. tournament at a hotel in Easton, Pennsylvania, he was focused on out-maneuvering his opponent when a nearby attendee's smell filled his nostrils. "I get a whiff and I legit start coughing," Husisian recalled. "It smelled like he worked in a crematorium."

His voice getting louder, Husisian continued: "This was hosted at a hotel. How on Earth do they provide showers for people—free soap, free toothpaste—and people don't shower! Have you gone outside? Have you met somebody?". The next day, Husisian said, the same people still reeked.

The article in question revisits other famous and funny stories on the subject of smells and Smash as well as getting comments on the subject from other people in the competitive scene. Will certain members of the Smash community be able to find body wash in time for the new game on Switch?

Phil32

Oct 28, 2017
You have the Smash skills to play competitively, but you don't have the life skills to know to shower/bathe consistently (or at all). It's unbelievable.

enkaisu

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Pittsburgh
I will NEVER understand this. It takes 10-20 minutes to shower. How do people just go so long without bathing? How do they not feel like crap?

spad3

Oct 30, 2017
California
I ran a tourney for Smash Bros at my local store when I worked in retail when the most recent Smash came out, store smelled like a dump truck because of all the sweaty non-showering dudes that showed up.

Please stay clean. Not only for yourself but for other people.

MasterYoshi

Oct 27, 2017
There's not many things in life worse than having no choice but to tolerate someone with extremely offensive body odor. I say this as someone in retail.

WiiDSmoker

Banned
May 13, 2018
It's funny because it's true. My takeaway from tournaments was that they were all poor and any money they had went into going to the next tournament rather than leveling up IRL.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Went to go see a Marvel movie a few weeks back and I actually had to move several seats away from the guy that sat next to me.

I'm not the cleanest person in the world but I still take atleast one shower a day. Its not hard.

Robdraggoo

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not smash related, but I did lose out of a top 8 at magic the gathering ptq due to a smelly opponent. I just couldn't concentrate.

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Real Talk - Isn't this a problem at just about every gaming/pop culture-based gathering under the sun? Is there a single eSports event, ComicCon, or PAX that DOESN'T smell like sweat and pickles?

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Went to a LAN party hosted by the uni society once. Couldn't stay for more than 10 minutes. The smell was utterly unbearable. I've been in smaller, hotter rooms for longer with more people before and it didn't smell a tenth as bad as that room.

I don't think it's Smash specific. It was the peak of Hearthstone at the time.

Deleted member 28962

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
It's pitiful that this has been talked about in the past and now there's an article on Kotaku about it. If you don't want to shower then at least change your underwear and put on some deodorant.

PRrambo_

PlayStation.jif
Oct 25, 2017
Kicking people out because of their terrible BO is fair, should be mandatory.

JakeNoseIt

Catch My Drift
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I ran a tourney for Smash Bros at my local store when I worked in retail when the most recent Smash came out, store smelled like a dump truck because of all the sweaty non-showering dudes that showed up.

Please stay clean. Not only for yourself but for other people.

I've seen this in real life too, it's wild. Glad somebody made a thing about it. There is nothing about video games that should make people still fit into this dated stereotype.

EDIT: Just remembered, the PlayStation E3 in theaters thing is equally smelly every year in my area.

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melee players will wavedash on final destination for ten hours but won't wave dash to a shower for ten minutes

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
As someone that's been to a large number of Friday Night Magics (not even big things, just Friday Night Magic) with intolerably offensive odors, I feel for everyone that has to put up with this.

I have no idea how anyone can have so little self-awareness as to not know that they reek. And even if they don't reek, they should be showering anyway because it's basic fucking hygiene!

Deleted member 1067

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I will NEVER understand this. It takes 10-20 minutes to shower. How do people just go so long without bathing? How do they not feel like crap?
This.

I straight up booted a dude from my team at work a while back because he refused to take a fucking shower. It's like he took one shower for the interview and never could be bothered to do it again. We even had a meeting at work where we had a talking to about "personal hygiene", like we were fucking grade schoolers again!

It's ridiculous someone could age to functioning adulthood and can't be assed to wake up 10-20 minutes early to get a shower. My momma would have sprayed me down with a hose if I tried getting in her car without a shower as a kid...

GLHFGodbless

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Smash players should be lucky they bring in so much money for TO's, otherwise they would be kicked out of every building they walk into. It's been like 20 years, wash your ass you heathens.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
How long until they go the route this store did for Magic tournaments

EbJfN9C6R_TFzI50Euhx-E2eKNwQujAf9XxWx8QZZMU.jpg

Nov 27, 2017
California
Wash
Yo
Ass

It's worse when it's hot and humid in the summer, oof at the smells I've encounted when playing in tournies so long ago.
Now I'm used to that smell during conventions , gross

NeonStars

Feb 23, 2018
Isn't this an issue with a lot of convention gamer gatherings? I've always found this hilarious. Surely these people KNOW they don't smell good right? Is it just a matter of simply not caring or what?

OP
OP
Funny Valentine
Nov 1, 2017
Like it's one thing for this to be a community in-joke or something but the infamous Smash stank has been a known thing for 5+ years and these people still can't wash their ass. It's crazy.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
I use to think this was a meme. But man, if it's that bad, learn to wash yourselves.

Either you're lazy or your so used to your stench that you think you smell fine. Jesus.

MCN

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
Isn't this an issue with a lot of convention gamer gatherings? I've always found this hilarious. Surely these people KNOW they don't smell good right? Is it just a matter of simply not caring or what?

There is literally nothing more important to these people than being good at a video game. Anything that doesn't directly contribute to that goal is ignored.

JakeNoseIt

Catch My Drift
Verified
Oct 27, 2017

From what I can tell, yeah, it is that widespread of an issue within the hobby. No clue how we get there

Doctor Doggo

Oct 25, 2017
Man, even when I used to play wow for 10+ hours a day I still made sure to shower every fucking day. It's not that hard

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
Smash players come into events smelling like the plague

Dripping pestilence down their armpits but they wanna get next lmfao

Ultimadrago

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, this seems like more a nerd problem than a Smash specific thing honestly. I hear about convention/tournament stank all the time.

OP
OP
Funny Valentine
Nov 1, 2017
Yeah, this seems like more a nerd thing than a Smash specific thing honestly. I hear about convention/tournament all the time.
No if you've been to any gaming thing with a big Smash pot it's a Smash specific problem. There's con funk which is unpleasant but expected and then there's Smash stank where the person playing Diddy Kong next to you smells like he sleeps with a grease trap in his bed.