• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 8001

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's an opinion.

I say if you wanna discuss it, need to expand on it a bit more, but this seems like a thread mostly for Melee fans to be mindful of that.
Hmm. All right.

So the first thing is is that, Brawl adds tripping which you might consider bad but to me? It's the most skillful thing since wavedashing. In fact, it might be even more skillful because it's random and you have to adapt to the situation on the fly whereas Wavedash is merely muscle memory. It's like when Batman in one of the movies had to learn to adapt to his situations.

I personally feel that the floatyness adds a lot of depth to the aerial combat because it takes quite a while for you to land so you essentially have to play like Space Invaders and guard the ground and get those Up Airs in or baits into their Air Dodge. Another thing that's really great is that Meta Knight dominates the whole game with Ice Climbers. A lot of people are fans of Melee because it allows you to focus on a few characters, but think about it like this, Brawl only has 2 viable characters! That's even more focus on the top!

Foreal, Brawl is a gem and it's as misunderstood as Bubsy.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm. All right.

So the first thing is is that, Brawl adds tripping which you might consider bad but to me? It's the most skillful thing since wavedashing. In fact, it might be even more skillful because it's random and you have to adapt to the situation on the fly whereas Wavedash is merely muscle memory. It's like when Batman in one of the movies had to learn to adapt to his situations.

I personally feel that the floatyness adds a lot of depth to the aerial combat because it takes quite a while for you to land so you essentially have to play like Space Invaders and guard the ground and get those Up Airs in or baits into their Air Dodge. Another thing that's really great is that Meta Knight dominates the whole game with Ice Climbers. A lot of people are fans of Melee because it allows you to focus on a few characters, but think about it like this, Brawl only has 2 viable characters! That's even more focus on the top!

tenord0jhg.gif

I'll allow it!

emb

Oct 28, 2017
Brawl is the BEST Smash Bros.
lol. People will say what they will about that game, but MetaKnight in it is actually so fun. Love watching the way M2K and other top players move around with him.
lowqualitybait.jpg

Tipped Off 12 this weekend. I probably could have gone but I suck too much for it to be worthwhile, and my grandparents are in town this weekend.

Hope the tournament is successful, heard they were struggling with it.
I had a chance to go too. Feel kinda bad about it. It's always been close enough for me to attend, but I've never made it out. Kinda half wanted to since like... 4 or 5. I'm sure it'll be good though.

Deleted member 2585

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hmm. All right.

All right, I can get behind a quality shitpost like this

OP
OP
Chaosblade

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like I've seen Tempo before but I don't remember. He's looking good against Cal though.

Mario vs Ice Climbers? Neat.

Some good sets hopefully coming up. Cal vs Ginger, Hax vs Ryan Ford.

Yo, A Rookie is looking good against Dizzkid?

N0ne still crazy. Making Falcon Sheik on FOD look good for Falcon against Swedish.

LolM2K? He was on fire at Canada Cup and now at Tipped Off 12. I don't know what happened at Summit.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Chaosblade

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Super dumb and super meaningless, but

Apparently the Smash Bros logo in that recent trademark matches up perfectly with the Melee's Japanese logo. It doesn't match any of the others.

So Smash Switch may be Melee HD Remix, instead of Ultra Smash Bros IV.

(FWIW I expect nothing)

Deleted member 2585

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Whew, people get salty whenever Melee is mentioned. Just gonna ignore all Smash-related threads for a while.

OP
OP
Chaosblade

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I'll probably ignore them in perpetuity. The drive-by and shitposting that was allowed on GAF was ridiculous and ResetEra isn't looking like it's going to be much better. (But it is at least a little better! At least in that one instance.)

But I'm not surprised, it's why I didn't opt this thread into the community spotlight. It would just get a bunch of trolls in here.

Scythesurge

Oct 25, 2017
Shout outs to my man La Luna for winning Super Famicon, hopping on the mic before grand finals like it was nothing and almost letting Sfat come back with the reset. But Luna held it down, happy to see Marth take a good tournament (even if the gods weren't really there). Doubles was pretty hype too and we even got a rare Hbox and Mango block on commentary, Famicon was a good time to watch.

emb

Oct 28, 2017
Famicon was definitely a great event. Glad to see so many top players show up for it this year.

OP
OP
Chaosblade

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, glad Moon won after his "commentary" before grand finals. It would have looked pretty silly if he jumped on the mic and then proceeded to lose.

He's probably my second favorite Marth after M2K right now. Rishi and Zain are going to give him a run for his money soon though, both in my heart and in bracket.

Daouzin

Oct 28, 2017
Arizona
Thanks for making this thread. This place wouldn't be a good GAF replacement without some good Melee talk.

Yeah, glad Moon won after his "commentary" before grand finals. It would have looked pretty silly if he jumped on the mic and then proceeded to lose.

He's probably my second favorite Marth after M2K right now. Rishi and Zain are going to give him a run for his money soon though, both in my heart and in bracket.

Same, La Luna is sick AF and never gets enough credit.

ec0ec0

Oct 26, 2017
i didn't know "the daigo walk" (directly walking towards your oponent as they retreat in fear until they corner themselves and die) was in melee. And believe it or not, it's even better to see than in street fighter.

https://www.ssbwiki.com/images/0/06/Best_Rest_approach.gif

that's one of the best smash gifs i've seen. Could you image seeing that while watching a tournament match on stream?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Chaosblade

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like that's a combination of bad player + super situational. The only way that works at all is if you have a character that can do something really quick that's hard to react to into a really strong punish - rest is obvious, but a Falco shine would be another example, and you have to be at low percent to CC and be fighting a character that doesn't have a good way to mitigate CC. Lots of characters have options that would instantly invalidate this "setup" even at 0% - Falcon stomp, Fox drill, Peach as a character in general, etc.

ec0ec0

Oct 26, 2017
yeah, shiek tends to be scared (as has to be extremely careful) of a grounded puff.

Drew Malou

Oct 27, 2017
Did anyone catch Pat's House 3? A lot of top players got knocked out by some underdogs. Zain took sets from both Sfat and Crush (3-2 both), he played incredibly well, and ended up getting 2nd overall.

emb

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, it had a really crazy bracket. Looking through and seeing all the names knocked out surprised me, lots of people I'd have expected in top 8 instead of the fresh blood we got.

Most of the Zain sets I saw were extra sick, too. You could make a real nice combo video just from his run at that tournament.

OP
OP
Chaosblade

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I saw the results and really wish I'd caught it.

Zain is going to be a monster in another year. How long until he takes a set off Armada?

Deleted member 2585

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just saw the Zain vs Hax set

Holy shit he's going for the super flashy stuff even more than ever. I love it.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
Holy christ I think Zain is my new favorite Marth. dude goes for maximum swag as much as possible.

He's going to be top 10 if he keeps improving at this rate. Some of the shit he did in the Pat's House 3 top 8 I've never seen before... or, he was doing it better than M2K or PewPewU. unreal.

OP
OP
Chaosblade

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Holiday Bash invitational going on now. Didn't know about it until today because I'm terrible at following upcoming tournaments.

OP
OP
Chaosblade

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Looks like this tournament has no gods. That will make it pretty interesting.

corasaur

Oct 26, 2017
it was announced pretty last-minute.
round robins are always fun. it's great seeing such a variety of matchups. I know it sucks for players if they realize they're effectively eliminated, though.

OP
OP
Chaosblade

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Lol at the camera zooming in on Crush and someone playing Yugioh.

Looked like Moon but I guess not.

And now the second stream is a ceiling fan.

Showed it again and you could see more, looked like KJH.

OP
OP
Chaosblade

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Crush took it 6-1 over SFAT and also double eliminated Shroomed. Took a lot of big names this tournament and probably cemented himself as top 15 for the year with a great outlook for next year.

And the guy's stone cold humor is tops. That interview.

Also, Moon, LMAO.

"I was in Mexico for 3 weeks and not practicing I'm never doing that again."
"Oh you were in Mexico welcome back."
"Thanks I'm going back Monday."

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
Merry Christmas Melee friends :)

Hax made a new video. More DEEP Melee science in here, and I find it super fascinating:

THIS IS THE GAME WE PLAY

OP
OP
Chaosblade

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Looks like a public beta for a Smash 4 mod that adds Melee mechanics released. Basically PM for Smash 4 but they don't want to be affiliated with it. Currently called Melee HD but they plan to change it before the 1.0 release.

I haven't done anything with Wii U modding so I don't know how to use it. Might look into it though.

Guy in that Dollar Shave Club commercial looks like SFAT, always think of it being him when I see it.

MIOM Rankings for 2017 started. This is the first year I've recognized every player in the 91-100 section.

Phil quitting commentary, says he's just tired of doing it. Disappointing, but unfair to expect him to keep doing it just because.

Last edited:

Phire Phox

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just watched the Valhalla Grand Finals between Leffen and Armada. Leffen looked so damn good in those matches. This might be Leffen's year. Really looking forward to Genesis.

OP
OP
Chaosblade

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Last I remember it was just a simple tech demo. I guess it has been a while since then.

OP
OP
Chaosblade

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Hax controller stream tl;dr

He's basically committing to making and manufacturing a physical implementation of UCF because it's the only way it's going to be viable at a major where an ISO modification just isn't going to fly.

Basically an arduino-based adapter that fixes dashback and shield drop like UCF, and also fixes 1.0 cardinal directions. Seemingly per-setup, so four ports like the USB GC adapters, with switches per port to enable or disable it.

Iffy on his shield drop stuff. I feel like it's going to be controversial like the perfect angles were before.

Last edited:

ggdeku

Oct 26, 2017
Genesis 5 ruled. Not just top 8, but the top 64 on Saturday was really fantastic too.

I still think it's worth investing in the non-fox v puff matchup. Puff is just so perfect at taking advantage of the spacies' glass cannon nature and semi-invalidating the matchup chart.

OP
OP
Chaosblade

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Genesis 5 ruled. Not just top 8, but the top 64 on Saturday was really fantastic too.

I still think it's worth investing in the non-fox v puff matchup. Puff is just so perfect at taking advantage of the spacies' glass cannon nature and semi-invalidating the matchup chart.

For Hbox, probably. I think Fox-Puff is still pretty clearly Fox favored but for someone as ridiculously good at Hungrybox it's probably better to just go with whatever character the player is most comfortable with. Trying to rely on a Fox secondary just for him seems like a problem.

I feel similar about Armada swapping off Peach. He lost one set to Plup and gave up on the matchup, and Fox is a lot more vulnerable to getting blown up. Armada is not going to remain as consistent as he was in the past if he keeps playing Fox against more players, more people know the matchup better than Peach and there is a lot of variance that comes with the character so he will have to take the lows with the highs.

Last edited:

Codeblue

Oct 25, 2017
I have mixed feelings about it. I think Fox definitely wins that matchup by a long shot, so it's not hard to imagine that the decrease in skill with a character is more than made up for by Fox's tools.

That said, I think Marth can do it. He can't force Puff to approach like Fox can, but at least he has some range and priority. If M2K would adopt some of Zain's shenanigans (or if Zain reached M2K's consistency), I think he'd match up really well with HBox.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
I have mixed feelings about it. I think Fox definitely wins that matchup by a long shot, so it's not hard to imagine that the decrease in skill with a character is more than made up for by Fox's tools.

That said, I think Marth can do it. He can't force Puff to approach like Fox can, but at least he has some range and priority. If M2K would adopt some of Zain's shenanigans (or if Zain reached M2K's consistency), I think he'd match up really well with HBox.

axe can take hbox to the edge in that terrible matchup. Giving up on your character so easily is lame

Deleted member 2585

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Did PPMD use Marth or Falco against Puff?

I think that M2k actually learning pivot fsmashes would do wonders for his floaty matchups.

Takyon

Nov 8, 2017
I hope the hbox and leffen beef doesn't persist into the year. Honestly, it's just uncomfortable to watch and reflects badly on both players.

Codeblue

Oct 25, 2017
Did PPMD use Marth or Falco against Puff?

I think that M2k actually learning pivot fsmashes would do wonders for his floaty matchups.

PP used Falco. Hbox was pretty different two years ago though. Here's hoping he actually does come back and shows everyone how to play the matchup.

Also, I don't think PP really ran into HBox during his Marth era unless we're counting that doubles set at BMR. He avoided him in his Apex win, at Genesis 3, and at 5 Gods.

Last edited: